Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone said anything about Erdogan's misogyny towards women in Turkey yet? If not, I have a treat for you:

quote:

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said women cannot be treated as equal to men, and has accused feminists of rejecting motherhood.

"You cannot put women and men on an equal footing," he told a meeting in Istanbul. "It is against nature."

He also said feminists did not grasp the importance of motherhood in Islam.

His comments often seek to appeal to his pious core supporters, says the BBC's Mark Lowen in Istanbul, but they anger more liberal voters.

Turks who have more secular views argue that the government's social policies are taking the country in a dangerous direction, our correspondent says.

Mr Erdogan has previously urged women to have three children, and has lashed out against abortion and birth by Caesarean section.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30183711

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's on the last page. :cmon:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tias posted:

It's on the last page. :cmon:
Am I becoming a mockery on this site? What is with today?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Erdogan is nothing but a tryhard. "Batka" Lukashenko is still my favorite dictatorial aphorist.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Erdogan has said some more fun stuff, this time about women.

You know what, if Turkey as a nation keeps re-electing this guy, they deserve exactly what they're getting.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Phlegmish posted:

You know what, if Turkey as a nation keeps re-electing this guy, they deserve exactly what they're getting.

(insert quote about democracy giving you the leaders you deserve, not the leaders you need)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Am I becoming a mockery on this site? What is with today?

I don't know, man, it just wasn't that easy to miss if you kept up with the thread. I haven't seen your other posts, so can't tell if you got the gypsy curse or what.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

(insert quote about democracy giving you the leaders you deserve, not the leaders you need)

Turkey already has a Batman.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Baudolino posted:

Israel can not lead any coalitions, they are too politcally toxic. They can still contribute however by fabriacting evidence that they have supplied Daesh with arms and training and "leaking" it, perhaps mr Hersh would be interested in another big scoop?.

Everyone who looks at it critically will understand that this is bullshit, but it will appear to confirm all the conspiracy theories. It does not have to be true, just convincing to those who see Zionist-Jewish plots around every corner ( this happens to encompass a lot of people worldwide) This migth at least deter some potential recuits. Why would any pious but angry muslim man want to join a zionist puppet?

It also gets pakistan and other very pious sunni muslim countries "off the hook" and gives them an excuse to openly stand against Daesh
since they could claim that they are in fact only opposing Zionist imperalism. In return the US could promise to fabricate evidence that points to ties between Daesh and Hamas, one good turn deserves another after all. If you want to defeat Daesh killing them is not enough, you have to deprive them of political legitimacy as well. This is one way to acheive that.

That has way too much potential to backfire. It's a great idea until people in Western countries actually start believing it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CommieGIR posted:

Well, its not like Iran is exactly hiding the fact that they are no longer NPT compliant.

But considering the state they really worry about denies even having nuclear weapons and are also not signatories to the NPT, I'm not too worried. Its also why I'm not convinced anyone would take action were they to acquire a nuclear device.

Iran is complying with the NPT. They gave up complying with the Additional Protocol, which they never ratified, but had agreed to voluntarily observe as a goodwill measure (which quelle surprise was not met with reciprocal good will).

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tias posted:

I don't know, man, it just wasn't that easy to miss if you kept up with the thread. I haven't seen your other posts, so can't tell if you got the gypsy curse or what.
WHAT GYPSY CURSE!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

eSports Chaebol posted:

Iran is complying with the NPT. They gave up complying with the Additional Protocol, which they never ratified, but had agreed to voluntarily observe as a goodwill measure (which quelle surprise was not met with reciprocal good will).

They both are complying, and are not. But yes, any sort of compliance that have shown is hardly recognized.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

CommieGIR posted:

They both are complying, and are not. But yes, any sort of compliance that have shown is hardly recognized.

The NPT doesn't say a country has to let observers into any military installations they want. That said, it's a valid criticism of the NPT that it really is possible to comply with it and still attain breakout capability.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Has anyone said anything about Erdogan's misogyny towards women in Turkey yet? If not, I have a treat for you:

Wasn't the whole point of Turkish republicanism that Islam wasn't the foundation for society anymore?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

Wasn't the whole point of Turkish republicanism that Islam wasn't the foundation for society anymore?

Yeah, but don't worry, Erdoğan is on the case! :siren:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, but don't worry, Erdoğan is on the case! :siren:

Poirot is on the case!

Its a policy option which needs be seriously considered by the new SecDef and played by Kerry as a potential negotiation cincher with Iran.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

icantfindaname posted:

Erdogan isn't that fond of Atatürk.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Update from Kenya: Somali gun attack on middle-class bus. Non-muslims massacred.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/22/world/africa/kenya-bus-attack/index.html

Kenyan forces anticipated to begin ethnic cleansing campaign against Somalis that make Israel's war against Hamas look like America's strikes against ISIS.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-24/kenya-army-strike-on-militant-camps-kills-100-after-bus-shooting.html

This comes after several continued trends. Recently, Kenyan security forces stormed a mosque and targeted an imam with known radical ties for assassination after an attack on a police station in the coastal region. This continues the trend of Kenyan ineptitude->overzealous response->counterradicalization->targeted assassination inside a mosque->radical over-reaction with extremely public attack against middle-class targets->security forces bungle response, overzealous response.

Why does it matter? Al-Shabab's attacks, and the inept reactions against them/inability to prevent them, provide propaganda and recruiting material for ISIS. Its no secret that ISIS targets American Somalis for recruitment, either to marry off to their core officer cadre, to use as suicide bombers and raw manpower, for grassroots financing, or for plotting an imminent attack against homeland targets.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 24, 2014

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
'Barack, I think these random internet people have the right idea. Let's think about the bomb. Write an EO to bring back LF and override Lowtax.'

"Chuck I want your resignation on my desk in 10 minutes"

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 25, 2014

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Muhammad Reza Pahlavi has him beat by 40 years:

quote:

"Nobody can influence me, nobody. Still less a woman. Women are important in a man's life only if they're beautiful and charming and keep their femininity."
"What do these feminists want? What do you want? You say equality. Oh! I don't want to seem rude, but ...you're equal in the eyes of the law but not, excuse my saying so, in ability."
"You've never produced a Michleangelo or a Bach. You've never even produced a great chef. And if you talk to me about opportunity, all I can say is, are you joking? Have you ever lacked the opportunity, to give history a great chef? You've produced nothing great, nothing!"
"All I can say is that women, when they govern, are much harsher than men. Much crueler. Much more bloodthirsty. I'm citing facts, not opinions. You're heartless when you have power. Think of Catherine de Medicis, Catherine of Russia, Elizabeth I of England. Not to mention Lucrezia Borgia, with her poisons and intrigues. You're schemers, you're evil. All of you."

:mrapig:.txt

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThirdPartyView posted:

Muhammad Reza Pahlavi has him beat by 40 years:

:mrapig:.txt

God drat, it's like the john galt speech of :mrapig:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

N00ba the Hutt posted:

Erdogan has said some more fun stuff, this time about women.

fade5 posted:

The one ME strategy that's not poo poo: backing the Kurds. Keep backing the Kurds, Obama. Ignore Erdogan, he's an rear end in a top hat.:colbert:
Wow, I didn't realize just how right I was. No seriously, between letting ISIL fighters run around in Turkey basically unchecked, loving over the Kurds in both in Turkey and Kobani at every opportunity, and this new lovely misogyny, Erdogan has basically stomped over every shred of potential good will that he had, and proved that he is indeed a giant, unrepentant rear end in a top hat.

Can we just carve a Kurdistan out of northern Iraq, northern Syria, and Kobani, and then say "hey, Erdogan, if you don't stop being an rear end in a top hat, we'll back the Kurds in taking Kurdish Turkey too"?

Yes I know that would be completely insane, but I just want to see the Kurds come out on top for once. They're like the one group that probably won't gently caress everything up after the fighting's all done.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 25, 2014

Tias
May 25, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

Update from Kenya: Somali gun attack on middle-class bus. Non-muslims massacred.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/22/world/africa/kenya-bus-attack/index.html

Kenyan forces anticipated to begin ethnic cleansing campaign against Somalis that make Israel's war against Hamas look like America's strikes against ISIS.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-24/kenya-army-strike-on-militant-camps-kills-100-after-bus-shooting.html

This comes after several continued trends. Recently, Kenyan security forces stormed a mosque and targeted an imam with known radical ties for assassination after an attack on a police station in the coastal region. This continues the trend of Kenyan ineptitude->overzealous response->counterradicalization->targeted assassination inside a mosque->radical over-reaction with extremely public attack against middle-class targets->security forces bungle response, overzealous response.

Why does it matter? Al-Shabab's attacks, and the inept reactions against them/inability to prevent them, provide propaganda and recruiting material for ISIS. Its no secret that ISIS targets American Somalis for recruitment, either to marry off to their core officer cadre, to use as suicide bombers and raw manpower, for grassroots financing, or for plotting an imminent attack against homeland targets.

Jesus christ, you've really been at the kool-aid lately, haven't you? Newsflash: The Kenyan army killing 100 actual militants cannot be equated with Israels policy of attrition, in which they have killed thousands of people by way of spamming densely populated civilian areas with chemical weapons, tanks and bombs.

Grouchio posted:

WHAT GYPSY CURSE!?

There's not curse here, just stating that I didn't know that people had been meanposting about you when I hit the button :sympathy:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This video shows the "elephant" rocket used by pro-government militias in Syria, which seems to be a newly developed type of munition. I think it's fair to say the accuracy isn't probably not that great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COY-DF2N5KY

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Silver2195 posted:

That has way too much potential to backfire. It's a great idea until people in Western countries actually start believing it.

On the contrary we want people to belive in it. Israel has no friends expect the US goverment anyway. What have they got to lose at this point. Increased anti-semitism in Europe would only encourage more jews to immigrate so that suits Israel just fine.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Brown Moses posted:

This video shows the "elephant" rocket used by pro-government militias in Syria, which seems to be a newly developed type of munition. I think it's fair to say the accuracy isn't probably not that great

It steers like a drunk cow, but what does it matter when it levels an entire block?

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Is this possibly real or bullshit? After all we're talking about the Daily Mail here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...social-facebook

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brown Moses posted:

:stare: drat, it flies like a pig and leaves a mess.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Looks like they hit that tower dead on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

Looks like they hit that tower dead on.

Yeah, square hit. Didn't see the tower as the dust cleared either...

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
That's a swiss rocket for sure

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

That's a swiss rocket for sure

Nah, that rocket did more than change building code.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Gmaz posted:

Is this possibly real or bullshit? After all we're talking about the Daily Mail here:

I bet there are plenty of special forces operating there. I would not trust anything the Daily Mail says, under any circumstances.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Gmaz posted:

Hah, for some reason for a moment there I expected a second stage to ignite once the first burn was complete and the missile was horizontal.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

The Iron Rose posted:

Not Ashton Carter? He's what I've been hearing.
That's the guy who wanted preemptive strikes against North Korea in 2006.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
Ramadi

https://justpaste.it/ramadifath (some :nms: pics)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

I wasn't advocating for him! Just what I've heard.

Speaking of: Flournoy won't get the gig

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2014/11/25/exclusive_flournoy_drops_out_of_race_to_be_next_secretary_of_defense

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Obama's Coterie are just not good at making decisions.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

I know you've been tracking IRAMs in Syria; is it possible that this is basically a dramatically upgraded one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Turkish media is reporting that the conditions necessary to fulfill the foreign minister's warning last week that some three million additional Syrian refugees could be expected to enter Turkey, namely that a corridor from Aleppo to Turkey has been taken by Assad's forces. I'm a little confused as to how cutting off Aleppo's connection to Turkey would increase migration, and surely the foreign minister's words could be considered more of a plea (or a threat?) for support against Assad, perhaps, but some more migration is probably on the way regardless. Out of the ~1.6 million claimed refugees in Turkey (more is pretty likely, and births are on the way too), just 15% reside in (lovely) camps. In Istanbul the rental housing market is presenting all these interesting responses--some ads say, "Syrians need not apply," others--usually for substandard housing at outrageous prices--state, "Syrians welcome!" The seaside city of Antalya recently tried to impose restrictions on Syrian refugees entering the city or working there. Various acts of violence because of perceived or real tensions have taken place. And, as anyone could expect from a poor, mostly unskilled population that doesn't speak local language, some have turned to petty crime, and more others to begging (especially visible in city centers around the country). Police say they don't go after them for smaller crimes such as theft and assault because it's hard to get results with their lack of documentation and addresses and so forth, and that is increasing resentment on the part of the locals. Turkey can hardly be said to be dealing with its already existing minorities in a healthy way--what about 4.6, maybe eventually 5 million, or around 6% of the current population, that are even more unlikely to speak the language + more likely to be desperate? The government acknowledged that the majority of the refugees will probably be in Turkey for good. What will that say for Turkey in ten years?

• Locked thread