Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

computer parts posted:

Similarly, socketing rubies into your weapons doesn't make them stronger either.

Yeah, everyone knows you gotta use emeralds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

AlternateNu posted:

Flipping through YouTube, I remember seeing a video of some weapons otaku/blacksmith guy built a replica of Sokka's sword out of actual meteorite metal he got his hands on, and it was the shittiest sword ever. He had to fold a bunch of tempered steel into it just so it wouldn't snap in two when you swung it.

Too lazy to find the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITY1WzbLj8

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Regalingualius posted:

Can't link, but Korra's Facebook page just announced that this season is gonna start airing on tv again. On Nicktoons, granted, but still airing.
There should be a :nick: emote

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

AlternateNu posted:

Flipping through YouTube, I remember seeing a video of some weapons otaku/blacksmith guy built a replica of Sokka's sword out of actual meteorite metal he got his hands on, and it was the shittiest sword ever. He had to fold a bunch of tempered steel into it just so it wouldn't snap in two when you swung it.

Too lazy to find the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DITY1WzbLj8

edit: beaten like Korra vs. Kuvira.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

JT Jag posted:

There should be a :nick: emote

Spongebob flipping the bird?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mraagvpeine posted:

Spongebob flipping the bird?

It has to be Spongebob laughing at our pain.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

It has to be Spongebob laughing at our pain.
Spongebob pointing at you, the poster, and laughing.

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Now Nick is just being pricks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're starting with the premiere, holy poo poo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Are they going to delay the finale until the TV run catches up

That'd be amazing and also what I would do if I were entirely in it to harvest the tears of Avatar fans

And then I'd cancel it just before the finale anyway because of the inevitably terrible ratings the re-runs will have.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 24, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

They're starting with the premiere, holy poo poo.

"I don't understand why the ratings were bad, we're just multiple weeks behind the online airing! Guess people don't like female protagonists/action cartoons/story-based cartoons, better never try that again!"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think "otaku" is the right word, iirc he makes movie props or collectibles for a living. Dude is a craftsman with a workshop

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 24, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jackard posted:

I don't think "otaku" is the right word, iirc he makes movie props or collectibles for a living. Dude is a craftsman with a workshop

And he makes anime weapons in his spare time.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

JT Jag posted:

Are they going to delay the finale until the TV run catches up

That'd be amazing and also what I would do if I were entirely in it to harvest the tears of Avatar fans

And then I'd cancel it just before the finale anyway because of the inevitably terrible ratings the re-runs will have.

Nah the article says they're still airing new episodes on Fridays on the Nick App/Nick's website.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

Genocyber posted:

And he makes anime weapons in his spare time.

He's a blacksmith but then he started taking requests with his show on youtube. He makes what people ask for. The first weapon he did for the show was Finn's Gold sword from Adventure time, he's made mjolnir, the diamond sword from Minecraft, Orcish Great Axe from Skyrim, and yeah because anime fans can't stop requesting katana's he's made some anime weapons.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Shockingly, a man that makes one kind of nerd collectible also makes another kind of nerd collectible, now just wait a moment while I get my sneer on

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
People that are huge fans of this show but are snobbish about anime are incredibly hilarious.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I actually wasn't thinking of Man at Arms when I posted that. There was another video of a guy talking about how lovely Sokka's sword would actually be, and he was no-question an otaku.

Edit: I think he referenced the Man at Arms replica, though. Either way, this is a dumb tangent.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 24, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Whatever, I would still pay for a meteorite sword if I had a big chunk of change to spare. It's not like I would actually have to use it at some point. It would just be an awesome thing to have.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

nutranurse posted:

I liked the whole episode. :shobon:

TVIV makes me wonder if I'm really easy to please or if goons are just the most capricious motherfuckers alive.

I was lukewarm on the first two parts, but yeah Varrick's story at least had enough extra effort put into it to make it something we would have never seen otherwise, and saved the entire episode.
I would be mad if they delay the finale because they are airing it on nicktoons, but at the same time it took me four days to even get around to watching this episode.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
oh yeah not that I think about it; I kinda liked "everyone poo poo on season 1 and 2 mako" in it's own way, but korra's story still seemed to lack some details like "yeah once you stopped amon non-benders got better representation in Republic City's government, which kind of would not have happened if amon never did his thing... unalok (I am not looking the spelling up sorry) was a dick but well the world IS better off since the spirit gates opened, even if vaatu did almost kill everything... the earth queen was a terrible person who exploited their own people good riddance. thanks zaiheer (:effort:)"

well I guess Toph did kinda just tell her that a couple episodes ago so :shrug:

wu is totally going to be made humble and poo poo then at the end he will be a kick-rear end king who you (yes YOU) will all love.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Wu is way too weak to be a ruler of anything and they haven't portrayed him as having any character growth so far beyond admitting to himself that he's a dweeb. By this point, we would have seen some sort of indication of some inner strength or ability to lead if that's what they were building to. They're going to have a British system where he's the figurehead of the government but really the Earth Kingdom will be a democracy of some stripe.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Rosalind posted:

Wu is way too weak to be a ruler of anything and they haven't portrayed him as having any character growth so far beyond admitting to himself that he's a dweeb. By this point, we would have seen some sort of indication of some inner strength or ability to lead if that's what they were building to. They're going to have a British system where he's the figurehead of the government but really the Earth Kingdom will be a democracy of some stripe.

This was actually Dowager Cixi's (on whom the Earth Queen was based) plan for China. Had she lived, she might have seen it implemented.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

NextTime000 posted:

well I guess Toph did kinda just tell her that a couple episodes ago so :shrug:

yeah and tenzin reiterated it basically word for word at the end of her story too.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rosalind posted:

A Wu who has been humbled enough to understand he needs help to run his country would make an outstanding Head of State, if nothing else. Guy's got pizzazz.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

JT Jag posted:

A Wu who has been humbled enough to understand he needs help to run his country would make an outstanding Head of State, if nothing else. Guy's got pizzazz.

He would make a good mayor of Toronto.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I will second all the "what the gently caress Nick :psyduck:" responses. It just makes me wonder how many more times this is going to happen, because didn't basically this happen to Invader Zim? They bring someone in and say "hey, get us an older audience," and then when they get what they asked for, they lose their poo poo because it's not what they wanted. If they wanted something that could sell toys, and they could just pull random episodes out of a hat and slap them on the schedule without having to think about it, why didn't they say or do something earlier?

That was somewhat understandable with Last Airbender, because they probably threw some loose instructions and a sack of cash at it and then snorted coke off a hooker dressed like Spongebob, but there's really no excuse with Korra. They knew the original Avatar was big, they knew it needed a reliable time slot and for things to be run in order...if they weren't going to give it these basic considerations, why did they even bother?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Alright I'm all caught up now.

So far, if Book 4 keeps up the current level of quality (minus the regrettably necessary clip show), I'm gonna be able to say that I solidly prefer Legend of Korra to The Last Air Bender as a TV show. Given the thread title and the history of Korra threads on this board, can I assume this is an extremely unpopular opinion and that I will by duly punished?

Sucks what's happening to the show RE: Nick but I've basically accepted that the Last Air Bender as basically a miracle and that nothing with even the glimmer of mature story telling can survive in western animation, for reasons I will never understand but will always regret.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Alright I'm all caught up now.

So far, if Book 4 keeps up the current level of quality (minus the regrettably necessary clip show), I'm gonna be able to say that I solidly prefer Legend of Korra to The Last Air Bender as a TV show. Given the thread title and the history of Korra threads on this board, can I assume this is an extremely unpopular opinion and that I will by duly punished?
Eh.

I think Korra was a more up and down show than The Last Airbender. I'd argue that its highs were higher and its lows were lower. The Last Airbender was a more consistent show, more reliably enjoyable, but I think Korra has produced the better "great moments."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can see that. I suppose I value "great moments" over consistency. Though I will say I also think Korra's worst episodes have never been as bad as TLA's. I'll probably never watch "The Great Divide" again. There's no real episode of Korra I feel that way about. Also I really, really like flawed characters so I'm enjoying Korra the most when it's annoying the poo poo out of most goons. I like that Korra actually fucks up a lot and gets kicked in the dirt constantly before she wins. She's still usually saved by Deus ex Machina but she feels like she earns it more than Aang to me.

Also, while I agree with the common sentiment that the show really doesn't get enough episodes in a season to reach its real potential, it generally feels much tighter to me than TLA did. A lot of TLA really was just filler (Great Divide, Avatar Day, The Painted Lady) etc.

I think people would be a lot happier if they liked Korra for what it is, instead of hating it for what it could have been. I'd loving love if it was an hour long serialized drama on HBO or something, but western animation looks like it's just never gonna climb out of that ghetto and Korra is just the best we're going to get in terms of "serious", story driven, western animated TV.

EDIT: Also while I hated on Nick in my last post, I will applaud them for the poo poo they let this TV Y7 kid's show get away with. The Murder-Suicide that ended Amon in Season 1, Zaheer literally stealing a person's breath and suffocating them on screen in Season 3, and the death of his girlfriend (which I think is actually more gruesome for having not been shown. The only way it could have been worse is if there was some horrible wet crunch when the camera turned away). I'd never have believed any network would allow that on a show aimed at 12 year olds.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
God forbid you say the word "kill" though.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

HoneyBoy posted:

Though they did finally outright say the Earth Queen's dead in Korra's part of the clip episode.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Though they did finally outright say the Earth Queen's dead in Korra's part of the clip episode.

And I noticed on a rewatch of ATLA that Katara said that her mother had been killed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

The Sharmat posted:

EDIT: Also while I hated on Nick in my last post, I will applaud them for the poo poo they let this TV Y7 kid's show get away with. The Murder-Suicide that ended Amon in Season 1, Zaheer literally stealing a person's breath and suffocating them on screen in Season 3, and the death of his girlfriend (which I think is actually more gruesome for having not been shown. The only way it could have been worse is if there was some horrible wet crunch when the camera turned away). I'd never have believed any network would allow that on a show aimed at 12 year olds.

Along with the listed scenes, I'd also venture the scene where Raava was getting all the past lives thrashed out of her as a particularly brutal scene, especially once it got to all the more recent Avatars.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

HoneyBoy posted:

It wouldn't be Network oversight/Standards and Practices without really weird, arbitary rules.

I remember seeing in the special feature of one animated show that they could show someone get hit in the head as often as they wanted, but had a very strict "kiss budget".

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The clipshow also used phrasing like "you were almost killed" when referring to Korra vs. Zaheer, I was surprised that was allowed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Maybe Nick deciding it doesn't give a poo poo about the show anymore had benefits?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

thexerox123 posted:

And I noticed on a rewatch of ATLA that Katara said that her mother had been killed.

They say it a lot there.

Like with Aang talking about having to kill Ozai.

edit: Also no parachutes haha

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

HoneyBoy posted:

edit: Also no parachutes haha
*climbs out of a mech covered in lava and runs off*

gently caress, just make them robots already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I ended up fast-forwarding through most of the episode. Jesus christ...

• Locked thread