Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dr fetus is fantastic if you get it on an early floor because all the free rocks/secret rooms really add up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I find Dr. Fetus incredibly fun to play because it's so different from normal tears. Being a danger to yourself requires a totally different way of maneuvering and I was sad when I beat Demo Man because now there's no way to get it instantly for free.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Speak of the devil, the very next item I find after making that post is Dr. Fetus. :v:

I only have 2 damage so my tears were complete crap, but with Mr. Mega I do enough damage to one-shot those bastard ghosts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wait, can you not retry challenges once you've beat them? Always assumed that you could.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, can you not retry challenges once you've beat them? Always assumed that you could.

You can.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So the only thing I really have left to do is beat mega satan. Well, I still haven't done the challenges or unlocked all the items but honestly I'll probably never get around to those.

Is there a good strategy for getting angel rooms consistently? I know accepting a devil deal will pretty much screw you, how do devil hearts and red chests affect it? Any other tricks?

I actually managed to get the key in one run but then died in the womb :negative:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

haveblue posted:

I find Dr. Fetus incredibly fun to play because it's so different from normal tears. Being a danger to yourself requires a totally different way of maneuvering and I was sad when I beat Demo Man because now there's no way to get it instantly for free.

People are probably just salty about Dr. Fetus right now because a few of the new enemy types/behaviours are particularly annoying with it. In 1.0 / WotL it was easy to work with because you had months and months of experience with the enemy patterns, and a lot of stuff moved rather slowly and reasonably (Including frame-rate drops to give you more time to consider your options)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Crotch Bat posted:

Move 90 degrees on them and they'll open up.

I'm talking about when they open, don't fire, close, start walking, then fire while closed and moving. It may have something to do with fear.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

zolthorg posted:

People are probably just salty about Dr. Fetus right now because a few of the new enemy types/behaviours are particularly annoying with it. In 1.0 / WotL it was easy to work with because you had months and months of experience with the enemy patterns, and a lot of stuff moved rather slowly and reasonably (Including frame-rate drops to give you more time to consider your options)

Nah it's also because the damage floor on the bomb shots was reduced. It still scales very well, but if you're not Judas or Samson, picking it up early isn't too great of an offensive decision. The passive benefits(secrets, rocks) remain huge though, with the addition of blue and purple fires.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PantsBandit posted:

So the only thing I really have left to do is beat mega satan. Well, I still haven't done the challenges or unlocked all the items but honestly I'll probably never get around to those.

Is there a good strategy for getting angel rooms consistently? I know accepting a devil deal will pretty much screw you, how do devil hearts and red chests affect it? Any other tricks?

I actually managed to get the key in one run but then died in the womb :negative:

I think playing as Judas is a good idea since his Book of Belial guarantees you a special deal now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can still use them as physics objects in ways you can't with tears. They'll hold back enemies or block choke points which opens up a lot of tactical possibilities even if the bomb doesn't instantly kill them.

They even fixed the bug where globins could walk through bombs after resurrecting. And the remote detonator works on fetus bombs which can greatly increase your fire rate (another reason Demo Man was so much fun).

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

I think playing as Judas is a good idea since his Book of Belial guarantees you a special deal now.

The wiki says it increases the chance of a devil room by 25%. Do you know if it just increases the chance of getting a special room in general or does it specifically make devil rooms more likely? Because it would actually probably be a bad thing to hold onto in that case (at least after you've turned down your first devil deal)

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Ariong posted:

I'm talking about when they open, don't fire, close, start walking, then fire while closed and moving. It may have something to do with fear.

So I've never seen this, but the problem is you're my brother and and we play on the same copy of the game. Are these the bone turrets or the bloody turrets? Any other tear effects? I've hit those things with fear shots plenty of times, but I don't think it's ever affected their animations quite like that.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Kanfy posted:

Speak of the devil, the very next item I find after making that post is Dr. Fetus. :v:

I only have 2 damage so my tears were complete crap, but with Mr. Mega I do enough damage to one-shot those bastard ghosts.

Wait, bomb items effect Dr. Fetus? :psyduck:. I thought the removal of those synergies was the biggest nerf made to the item.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
No, Dr. Fetus was nerfed because the damage it does is now based on your normal Damage stat. So if it's your first floor item, it'll do so little damage it's not even an upgrade.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Additionally, you can actually reroll cubes of meat and balls of bandages; I would assume the same is true for other boss-unique drops.

The game seems to only check the room type when dropping a new item, and if I remmeber right, the original BOI had items that couldn't be rerolled, regardless of room.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Wait, bomb items effect Dr. Fetus? :psyduck:. I thought the removal of those synergies was the biggest nerf made to the item.

That one sure does at least.

In fact those two salvaged that run completely, even with 3 damage (and didn't get that third one 'til the very end) and no particularly powerful items at all I beat The Chest and ??? on Hard with 8 health left in the end. :toot:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

GeneX posted:

Additionally, you can actually reroll cubes of meat and balls of bandages; I would assume the same is true for other boss-unique drops.

The game seems to only check the room type when dropping a new item, and if I remmeber right, the original BOI had items that couldn't be rerolled, regardless of room.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it still does this, since I've rerolled shop items into other shop items (including a Bible into...another loving Bible, thanks Rosary????) and a few other things have led me to believe this (red chests dropping Guppy items in spike rooms, but re-rolling into devil items, I'm sure that happened to me once or twice). It's just nicer about the specific boss drops like meat cubes and bandages. And thank god for that.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Frankly Dr. Fetus is one of my favourite items. You do need a couple of DMG upgrades for it to stay strong throughout the run, but early on, even if the damage isn't much better than a tear, it's still an AoE, besides the utility already mentioned. And it's fun. The occasional friendly fire is just the price you pay for all the fun you're having.

Though I do wish they'd fix the thing where if you press A to skip the Boss intro, you'll shoot a bomb at your own foot.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Some do, some don't, apparently. Sad Bombs don't, sadly.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 24, 2014

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Speaking of stuff people need to know, I'm just gonna copy paste this here for y'all:

The dice room numbers and effects are:

1 will re-roll all of Isaac's items.

2 will re-roll all of the consumable items in the room.

3 will re-roll all of the consumable items on that floor.

4 will re-roll all of the pedestal and store items on the floor except for Devil Room items.

5 will re-roll the entire floor and restart it.

6 will re-roll every item Isaac has as well as every item on the current floor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Scratch-O posted:

So I've never seen this, but the problem is you're my brother and and we play on the same copy of the game. Are these the bone turrets or the bloody turrets? Any other tear effects? I've hit those things with fear shots plenty of times, but I don't think it's ever affected their animations quite like that.

Bone turrets. I can only imagine that they are unable to fire while under the effects of fear, but the shot isn't cancelled for some reason. Just delayed.

Beeme posted:

Some do, some don't, apparently. Sad Bombs don't, sadly.

I can only imagine that would lead to some sort of infinite bomb loop.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
I'd figure Sad Bombs+Dr. Fetus would revert to whatever you had before Dr. Fetus, if only for the Mega Satan-oneshotting goodness that would be Sad Bombs+Dr. Fetus+Brimstone. :getin:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ariong posted:

It's definitely a fear thing, I've had it happen before.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Son of a bitch, I just lost a guaranteed Demo Man run to The Gate x2 in the Womb 1. I was holding an Emperor card and the Bible. Fetus in a Jar is not as fun as it used to be.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
gently caress soymilk. Items should always be power ups or sidegrades, not cause you to lose.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

gently caress soymilk. Items should always be power ups or sidegrades, not cause you to lose.

Soy Milk + Cursed Eye :shepicide:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I've never seen soy milk, apart from doing the head trauma challenge.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I got soy milk and monstro's lung so every time I'd charge up a little peppering of tears would come out. loving sucked.

Is it just me or does bob's brain show up like ten times as much as any other item. I hate that lovely "powerup"

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Don't grab it if it's not good for you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Genocyber posted:

Don't grab it if it's not good for you.

so never grab it

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

No because I have no self-control and absolutely must touch every item I see.

Also I got saved by a key beggar in the dark room earlier. He spat out a chest every couple of keys and they all had items in them, all of which I touched obviously

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Eonwe posted:

so never grab it

It can be pretty good if you can combo it with an item like coal, since that adds flat damage.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I imagine it's also great when combined with any of the "tears have a random chance of X property" objects.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Soy Milk is salvageable if you grab it early, or have PHD so you can get pills and items to boost the damage and range back up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

It can be pretty good if you can combo it with an item like coal, since that adds flat damage.

Basically. There's the rare run where you have the perfect combination of items to make a normally garbage one good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Waffle! posted:

Soy Milk is salvageable if you grab it early, or have PHD so you can get pills and items to boost the damage and range back up.

Isn't damage with Soy Milk locked low, though?

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Soy Milk exists to make you more wary of rerolling your items with the D4/D100.

Yes, that is my range.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Volt Catfish posted:

Isn't damage with Soy Milk locked low, though?

Not quite. Either it's possible to override the lock, or damage is almost an exponential curve and Soy Milk sets you way down on the flatter end of it so that you'll need a lot of damage ups for any visible change.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Kanfy posted:

Obviously Ipecac is almost always better but Fetus isn't a "straight downgrade" at all in a lot of situations.

But have you ever combined them? I don't know if you're meant to be immune to the blasts or it was some kind of oversight. If it was a mistake, I feel no remorse. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Whew, finally managed to beat ??? with The Lost on hard. Dead Cat on first floor, Chocolate Milk somewhere along the way. Picked up Technology 1 which dropped my fire rate dangerously low and made me almost burn through all my lives in Necropolis. Thankfully the boss dropped Squeezy, which gave an absurd boost to my tear rate. Spoon bender one floor later with 2 more Guppy items made sure by the time I reached the Chest I had an army of flies at my disposal and a homing laser of death that cleared every room in less than a second. Blue baby lasted about 5 seconds.

Can't believe my most overpowered build to date was on a Lost run.