Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PantsBandit posted:

The wiki says it increases the chance of a devil room by 25%. Do you know if it just increases the chance of getting a special room in general or does it specifically make devil rooms more likely? Because it would actually probably be a bad thing to hold onto in that case (at least after you've turned down your first devil deal)

It's special rooms in general I'm like 99% sure. Same idea as goat head. It was 25% in vanilla Isaac but I think it might be stronger in this one. I'm gonna do a Judas run right now and check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Yep, it's 100%. Just went to the 2nd floor boss and intentionally took red heart damage, room still showed up. Also stays there no matter how many times I enter and exit the boss room. Whether this is by accident or on purpose that's how the book works now. Whoever wrote that in the wiki was just going by the old version.

So Book of Belial is super powerful in this game.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kawalimus posted:

Yep, it's 100%. Just went to the 2nd floor boss and intentionally took red heart damage, room still showed up. Also stays there no matter how many times I enter and exit the boss room. Whether this is by accident or on purpose that's how the book works now. Whoever wrote that in the wiki was just going by the old version.

So Book of Belial is super powerful in this game.

I did a couple Judas runs earlier today and Belial did not result in guaranteed devil rooms for me.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

Yep, it's 100%. Just went to the 2nd floor boss and intentionally took red heart damage, room still showed up.

That's not how probability works.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Genocyber posted:

That's not how probability works.

No poo poo sherlock, but what I"m saying is if I leave the room and the devil room is always there, then it's giving me the goat head effect. Otherwise it would disappear. Either way that item is way good for getting devil rooms and you start with it.

Just for all you smart-alecks, went down to the next floor and took red-heart damage on the boss again. Got another deal with the devil(last time took little brimstone, this time took 9 lives). Once again the devil room doesn't disappear. Here I go to the next floor!

If it's not 100% it's close to it. I should've had about a 6% or so chance to get that last one.

Got it again. tried to take red-heart damage but the hollow died to my spiders before i could :D. Took the Mark.

Next floor, got Depths 1. Took red-heart damage on boss, got deal with the devil, again. Krampus. Beat mom, took red-heart on purpose, got devil deal. Took Pentagram. Skipping boss rush! Womb 1, got devil deal.

It's 100%.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 24, 2014

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
What happens if you have death's touch (the scythes) and take soy milk?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'd assume lots of tiny scythes? What about those two items makes that not seem obvious?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kawalimus posted:

No poo poo sherlock, but what I"m saying is if I leave the room and the devil room is always there, then it's giving me the goat head effect. Otherwise it would disappear. Either way that item is way good for getting devil rooms and you start with it.

The devil room isn't guaranteed to disappear if you don't go in it. It might, but it might not. If you're trying to say that the book guarantees a devil room on every floor, you're wording it very oddly.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008
BOI does not always behave in the obvious way, and I didn't want to ruin my lost run. But I've just realised I forgot to set it on hard mode so welp. It is indeed lots of tiny scythes and seems like a significant downgrade from what I had before.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

The devil room isn't guaranteed to disappear if you don't go in it. It might, but it might not. If you're trying to say that the book guarantees a devil room on every floor, you're wording it very oddly.

It's not but it won't stay there more than once. When you can go in and out and in and out and it always stays there, that's the goat-head effect. I have another idea to test.

Ok it's not quite goat head. I picked up Shoop da Whoop on the 2nd floor and intentionally didn't get a devil room. But I picked up Belial again, went back into the room and there wasn't a devil room. So its' not quite that powerful, but it does seem to virtually guarantee a devil deal every floor if you're holding it in the boss fight. Maybe it's like 99% or something, but it's not just a flat 25% I'm sure.

Goat Head will even retroactively give them to you.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 25, 2014

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

It's not but it won't stay there more than once.

I'm sorry that you don't know how devil rooms work, but it's not making your argument a lot more convincing.

(Which is to say, this is not true.)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

It's not but it won't stay there more than once.

Yes it can. I once had it stay for 5 times before I got bored and just went to the next level.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Today I discovered that Gnawed Leaf + anything orbital + Virus is an absolute laugher combo. Having Sacred Heart was just gravy.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Must work differently in this game then cause I've never seen it happen that many times and I checked on EVERY floor.

But again I know how devil rooms work, And there is no way I should have gotten Devil Rooms every single time after not only taking them, but taking red-heart damage in boss rooms. I'll run the drat thing again.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
I just managed to get hit with the Lost on the Boss Rush with Brimstone and Guppy. That was painful. Had a dead cat and enough time, but there's no do-overs with the boss rush. That combo is so strong that I went on to kill ??? again. :saddowns:

Kawalimus posted:

It's not but it won't stay there more than once. When you can go in and out and in and out and it always stays there, that's the goat-head effect. I have another idea to test.

Ok it's not quite goat head. I picked up Shoop da Whoop on the 2nd floor and intentionally didn't get a devil room. But I picked up Belial again, went back into the room and there wasn't a devil room. So its' not quite that powerful, but it does seem to virtually guarantee a devil deal every floor if you're holding it in the boss fight. Maybe it's like 99% or something, but it's not just a flat 25% I'm sure.

Goat Head will even retroactively give them to you.

I was told you had to use it on the floor, like you would use the Book of Revelations to guarantee a horsemen. Did you use it when you picked it up again?

Beeme fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 25, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Beeme posted:

I was told you had to use it on the floor, like you would use the Book of Revelations to guarantee a horsemen. Did you use it when you picked it up again?

I didn't. That's a very very good possibility though and possibly the reason for all this confusion. Either way, that means Belial is a 100% chance as long as you use it, which isn't anything tricky to do obviously.

I ran it again though and again took red heart damage on floor 2, and took a devil deal. Then on floor 3 took red heart damage on the boss again, got a devil deal.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Felix_Cat posted:

What happens if you have death's touch (the scythes) and take soy milk?

Nothing too crazy without something else, although I did beat the Head Trauma challenge with that combo

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I still haven't had Soy Milk show up on a normal run, but the Head Trauma challenge had me pick up Ring Worm in Basement 1, and Coal from Krampus later on. Every room was a black hurricane of death, and resulted in sound glitches that persisted until I restarted the game.

Demo Man and Slow Roll were easy and really fun, too. I was dreading the challenges after reading you all complaining about Solar System and some of the other hard ones, but most of them seem to be the sort of amazing run I really wish I could get in the regular game.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Kawalimus posted:

I didn't. That's a very very good possibility though and possibly the reason for all this confusion. Either way, that means Belial is a 100% chance as long as you use it, which isn't anything tricky to do obviously.

I ran it again though and again took red heart damage on floor 2, and took a devil deal. Then on floor 3 took red heart damage on the boss again, got a devil deal.

I tried this experiment again. It doesn't work just using Belial and not holding the item. You have to be holding it in the boss room.

I think it's just holding the book that gives you a near 100% chance of getting a devil deal.

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Book_Of_Belial

"Holding this item guarantees the spawning of a Devil Room after defeating a boss. (Note: Devil rooms cannot spawn on the first floor, unless the floor is XL.)"

That wiki, at least, also says it's guaranteed. So you smart-alecks can suck on that :)

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2014

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013
Jesus christ I got the Godhead. That boss rush was nerve wrecking. 20/20, Death's Touch, a few DMG and Tears up, Rubber Cement, and Guppy. Also bob's brain. It'll be nice getting back to playing the regular game.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Power of Pecota posted:

Nothing too crazy without something else, although I did beat the Head Trauma challenge with that combo

penetrating shots in general completely salvage soy milk i find; the biggest issue with it for me is that the shots do so much knockback individually that only a handful of them hit. when they can't knockback, they actually start being at least workable.

has anyone had soy milk with ipecac yet?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I found out WHAT is a good combo with Soy ilk: Ludovico Technique. Your tears determines how many 'ticks' the tear does to deal damage, so low tear rate will trigger like one or two ticks per second, while soy milk makes it practically constant. If you can get those two early as well as some damage increasing items it melts enemies fast. Also, if you have something like Mom's contact or fear, it prettu much keeps it on them at all times.

I'm two items away from Platinum God (Skeleton Key and Transcendence) and it's so tedious trying to get them. :(

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Amnesia pills make me want to poo poo my pants in anger :argh:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Koramei posted:

has anyone had soy milk with ipecac yet?

Little explosion bombs.

Jessie Tanner
Jan 18, 2013
Guppy + soy milk is supposedly a hilarious and unironically good combination that I've yet had the pleasure of trying. Although I suppose guppy makes almost anything good.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I'm now at that point where, minus The Lost, all I'm missing is some items that will never, ever show up thus I'm gonna be D6 resetting like crazy. Things like:

1-Up
Odd Mushroom
Meat!
Steven
Monster Manual
Guardian Angel
Magic 8 Ball

This is gonna suck :(

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm two items away from Platinum God (Skeleton Key and Transcendence) and it's so tedious trying to get them. :(

What is your method? I need to find a Raw Liver and it's also a secret room only. I'm guessing just running Isaac with the D6 always on hand?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Jessie Tanner posted:

Guppy + soy milk is supposedly a hilarious and unironically good combination that I've yet had the pleasure of trying. Although I suppose guppy makes almost anything good.

Given that the flies just do a multiplier of your damage stat wouldn't it still be outperformed by pretty much any regular tear effect + decent damage?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Given that the flies just do a multiplier of your damage stat wouldn't it still be outperformed by pretty much any regular tear effect + decent damage?

Sounds like it, yeah. Becoming Guppy basically just triples your damage output, no matter what it was before.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Okay, I really need some help here. I keep getting random spikes of the game just stopping completely, then starting, and I'm sure if I could turn down the graphics just a little bit they would stop.

But no matter what I try with the config.ini file the devs said to make, it doesn't do anything. Did anyone here need to use it and get it to work? I'm kinda getting mad, there's really no reason I should have to gently caress around with the game's files just to turn stuff down - add a drat option in the menu.,

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Mulligan and Guppy mode spawn flies every time you hit something. If your tear fire rate is high enough (like it would be with Soy Milk) it would more than counteract the damage loss per individual fly/tear. Getting all three Technology items and Soy Milk would probably be absolutely amazing even though your base damage by itself would probably be really bad.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The first floor treasure room I just got had a Yum Heart in it.

I was playing as Magdalene

:suicide:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Beeme posted:

What is your method? I need to find a Raw Liver and it's also a secret room only. I'm guessing just running Isaac with the D6 always on hand?

I've been doing this:

1.) Be Isaac with D6 on Normal to reduce floor size.
2.) Check the Treasure Room. Don't Reroll. If it is an item that can let me access Secret Rooms easily (X-Ray Glasses, Miner's Hat, any explosive item like Dr. Fetus or Ipecac), I'll do a full run or that game.
3.) Go through every room to determine which spots qualify for being a Secret Room spot. Bomb it and hope you get it.
4.) If you are in the Secret Room and there's an item, take it or reroll it to a different (and hopefully) one you need.
5.) If there's a locked/sealed/curse chest and it opens with an item, DON'T TAKE IT! Instead, reroll it. Since it's in the Secret Room, it'll reroll into an item that belongs in the Secret Room pool.
6.) If there are mushrooms, pots, or skulls, and you can blow them up, do so for a chance for them to drop an item (Quarter, Super Mushroom, Dry Baby, etc.) so they can be rerolled into a Secret Room item.
7.) If possible, check and buy items from the shop, specifically the Blue Map. If you do, continue a whole run from there and use the steps mentioned above for the Secret Room. If you find a Pandora's Box (and can buy it), take it to the secret room and use it. Again, it can be rerolled using the Secret Room item pool.
8.) IF NONE OF THESE are helpful at the time, reroll the Treasure room item for a item that can help find Secret Rooms easily.
9.) If all else fails, hold R to restart. Repeat the steps.

Another good tip is have something on the TV or music because this WILL be very tedious.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

The first floor treasure room I just got had a Yum Heart in it.

I was playing as Magdalene

:suicide:

Two instances of the same space bar item no longer share the same charge. I found this out by finding the Yum Heart as Magdalene.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Floor one treasure was bum friend. Do I restart? Actually I died floor 3 but I asked myself this question every time he flew over gaps and stole my money.

I died to my most hated room: six stone spitters are constantly making walking up and down a game of frogger, and eight invincible walking skull barfers herd you through all the blood spit and hork on you and you can't, you just loving can't get a 90 degree angle shot off on anyone to kill them without also getting hit by another skull or the stone pillars. That room is a death sentence and I didn't have any bombs to escape with because my greedy bum friend ate like six pennies and didn't give me poo poo. Fucker!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Missing No. owns, I finally got it for the first time on a cheesing meat boy/bandage girl run. I took down ??? with these stats because Guillotine + Isaac's Heart + Lord of the Flies familiars made him unable to hit me if I pivoted around right.

Now just down to 1up Mushroom + A Bandage when I unlock it~ (also still need to get Godhead + Meat Boy/Bandage Girl but blah)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yessssssssssss

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Guys playing as the Lost is really loving stressful. I find my heart rate going through the roof and the most I've gotten to is Mom. And that's WITH Holy Mantle(granted none of the runs were that good, ???'s Best Friend was my best source of damage so far). Is there any way to ease this somehow?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

HGH posted:

Guys playing as the Lost is really loving stressful. I find my heart rate going through the roof and the most I've gotten to is Mom. And that's WITH Holy Mantle(granted none of the runs were that good, ???'s Best Friend was my best source of damage so far). Is there any way to ease this somehow?

9 Lives is an absolute godsend. It sent me from barely clearing depths 1 to getting halfway through the womb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Somehow I got mama's boy with minimum possible speed. I did it and don't understand how it happened. Also, in the same run I beat Mom in 10 minutes and unlocked undefined, again with minimum speed.

I got carried because I was mad and wanted to kill a lovely run fast (Eden with 2 soul hearts and some bland items) so I grabbed a 3 soul heart devil deal and it dropped me to half a soul heart. So I just took the other 2 deals. Is this intended? Or did I have an item I didn't notice?