Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Might as well see if anyone wants a crack at identifying this one now that Hats has disturbed the peace.

The head looks familiar, but I couldn't place it with a cursory GIS so I didn't care to continue.

You know, as much as I've poo poo on Far West for what must be over a year now, I've always felt, to my own bizarre standards, that I was focused on specific actions and not the man behind them. But this little couple of tweets really changes that. Holy poo poo, what a whiny little man-child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

You'd think he'd be grateful for RPGNet because otherwise he wouldn't have anyone to blame his failures on.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What the gently caress is "ConsultantGate?"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

What the gently caress is "ConsultantGate?"
The Zak/Pundit working on 5e stuff.

Remember: The only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rulebook and I are "ringleaders" because he saw us both talking about it once or twice I guess.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
GMS has lost his freakin' mind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Zak/Pundit working on 5e stuff.

Remember: The only valid moral outrage is Gareth's moral outrage.

Oh right, yeah, that.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Plague of Hats posted:

Rulebook and I are "ringleaders" because he saw us both talking about it once or twice I guess.

What's it like to be the leader of a internet bullying ring?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Echophonic posted:

It feels about as fulfilling as I would expect.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Maybe he should take a picture of himself and apply the career filter.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Echophonic posted:

Its about ethics in kickstarters

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

:sbahj:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Ettin posted:

He wouldn't do that. He's slowly, agonizingly tracing over someone else's career in a manner that is at once worse and terribly derivative, so much that he's violated the law and angered quite a few people in the process. He can tell you the pen settings, or put a video up once he's finally finished his performance piece. It's not a Kickstarter, it's a work of art.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

People saying mean things about me on the internet? LAWSUIT.

Poorly photoshopping copyrighted material and expecting people to pay for it? HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT HOW TALENTED AN ARTIST I AM.

Ettin posted:

:vince:

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ettin posted:

:vince:

I was actually warming up to the guy after he apologized for ever defending Desborough.

jadarx
May 25, 2012
And to think you could just throw an imaginary artist under the bus. But if you're caught red-handed, might as well go whole hog

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Trainwrecks like this are the main reason I read this thread. That guy is amazing.

edit: Really loving the use of Korean people and media for his Chinese setting.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 25, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just to put a cap on this, GMS said that people were saying that the cross-post of his private update to RPGNet was a way for him to circumvent his ban. When I pointed out that not a single person said that (and Darren confirmed in the thread), he claims it was said to him in emails.

I really, really wish he'd stop blaming RPGNet for all his loving problems.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Horror on the Orient Express for CoC has finally set an ETA, saying people should have the books (and some extras, but not all) by New Year's.

What worries me is the way they're describing the slipcover. One update describes it as "strain[ing] at the seams with its contents" and the other as "very full, with a slight outward pudge. There is no wiggle room".

So, uh, don't get too attached to the box, is I guess the message here.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Might as well see if anyone wants a crack at identifying this one now that Hats has disturbed the peace.

Looks like a black and white image that got (badly) colored to me.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Zereth posted:

Looks like a black and white image that got (badly) colored to me.

This one actually looks like parts of it were traced, specifically the hands on the right, but the speckling on the cheek and chest are dead giveaways of photoshop filters or Illustrator livetrace, if you zoom in you should be able to see they're made up of little triangles, no human draws like that.

At one point early in So77's development I considered doing this for our interior art, using vintage photos and giving them a hand drawn look via photoshop. I gave up on the idea because even after a lot of work they still looked like filtered photos, and it turned out that licensing photos for printing in a book is more expensive than commissioning an artist.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

I gave up on the idea because even after a lot of work they still looked like filtered photos, and it turned out that licensing photos for printing in a book is more expensive than commissioning an artist.

If I were trying something like this I'd be looking at Wikimedia Commons and making sure to get Commons Licensed images (and to include the license). There are a few other public domain sources.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Depending on the genre, I'd just use some vintage photos from like, the 30s or 20s. If you do it right and justify it in the fiction, it could be a cool little book.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

At one point early in So77's development I considered doing this for our interior art, using vintage photos and giving them a hand drawn look via photoshop. I gave up on the idea because even after a lot of work they still looked like filtered photos, and it turned out that licensing photos for printing in a book is more expensive than commissioning an artist.

Would you be willing to say more about this (I totally backed your game, if it matters)? I don't need your exact numbers, but the art in your product looked top-notch, and I think a lot of people underestimate how much producing good things actually costs. Ballpark for licensing vs. artist? If that's not appropriate for this thread, maybe PM me?

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh hey, production models of the female Eisenkern are being worked on, interchangeable with male Eisenkern. Neato! :butt:

The male Eisenkern also have molded butt armor, though slightly less pronounced. Equal opportunity butt-sculpting.

Where will I be able to buy these once they're released? I need me some female Fallouty power armor soldiers.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

homullus posted:

Would you be willing to say more about this (I totally backed your game, if it matters)? I don't need your exact numbers, but the art in your product looked top-notch, and I think a lot of people underestimate how much producing good things actually costs. Ballpark for licensing vs. artist? If that's not appropriate for this thread, maybe PM me?

I was looking at Getty Images, and to license a photo in a size appropriate for printing was between $250 and $400. Commissioning good black and white art was less than half that.
Using stock images was a lot cheaper, but they always look like stock images.

neonchameleon posted:

If I were trying something like this I'd be looking at Wikimedia Commons and making sure to get Commons Licensed images (and to include the license). There are a few other public domain sources.

There are a lot of sources for public domain images, but it can be really hard to find the right thing, especially if you're looking for something very specific like 1970's muscle cars jumping over bridges.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Bucnasti posted:

I was looking at Getty Images, and to license a photo in a size appropriate for printing was between $250 and $400. Commissioning good black and white art was less than half that.
Using stock images was a lot cheaper, but they always look like stock images.

The pricing for this stuff is all over the place. I use to manage the rights and reproductions department for a historical society and it was everywhere from free to $5,000 depending on who you were and what you were doing with it. I did a survey once of about a dozen other similarly sized and materials places to see if our pricing was in line with every one else and found that its just all over the place. No matter where you get a quote from it could be something entirely different from another institution for the same type of use.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

That's how Johnstone Metzger did all his modules; everything is public domain art that he used as inspiration.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Okay, I figured out WHERE To get the Eisenkarn. Any idea when the women verions will be available?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Esser-Z posted:

Okay, I figured out WHERE To get the Eisenkarn. Any idea when the women verions will be available?

They're not even out for backers yet, but they are close to a full production run. Should be in the next few months.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
God giveth (with Democracy: Majority Rules), and God taketh away.

Kickstarter posted:

Hello,

This is a message from Kickstarter’s Integrity team. We're writing to inform you that a project you backed, Alien vs Predator The Miniatures Game, is the subject of an intellectual property dispute.

The law requires that we remove the project from public view until the dispute is resolved (please see our Copyright Policy and Trademark Policy for more info). Because the project already ended successfully, your pledge hasn’t been affected. The creator should still be able to move forward with the project (and send any unfulfilled rewards). If you have any questions, though, you can still message the creator from the project page.

Thanks so much for your patience and cooperation,
Kickstarter

:smithicide:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Kickstarter has an integrity team?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GrandpaPants posted:

Kickstarter has an integrity team?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I really need to stop pledging for Miniature based kick starters. I've got Shadows of Brimstone sitting here on my workbench, and I've only completed assembling a small fraction of it. I made the mistake of pledging for Dungeon Saga a few months back, and thinking of how many unfinished miniatures thats going to be makes my head hurt.

What sort of options are there for like, reselling KS pledges? I've heard of people who basically do it and then turn around and sell it by changing the shipping address in their pledge managers. I'm just wondering if theres any relatively safe way to do it or if I'm better off just waiting around and putting the actual copy up on ebay once it arrives.

Weren't the Dungeon Saga minis supposed to be preassembled? Or did you pledge for the Kings of War minis/include painting and such as part of the "finishing" process?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

malkav11 posted:

Weren't the Dungeon Saga minis supposed to be preassembled? Or did you pledge for the Kings of War minis/include painting and such as part of the "finishing" process?

I honestly can't remember. Its also just my ever growing painting backlog. And realizing I probably don't need several Dungeon Crawl boardgames. I had a $200 pledge- $100 for the game, and $100 for the expansions + component upgrades/hardcover book. Pledge manager hasn't come out for it yet though.

So yeah, post-kickstarter regret and thinking it'd be nice to have my $200 back. Once the pledge manager drops I'll start looking to see if I can flip it somewhere. I'm more interested in just washing my hands of it and stopping the kickstarter addiction than trying to turn a profit.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Last 12 hours on the Puppetland Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/puppetland-the-storytelling-rpg-of-grim-make-belie?ref=friends_backed

I'll be writing one of the adventures for it. Kenneth Hite is writing a King in Yellow themed adventure as well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I honestly can't remember. Its also just my ever growing painting backlog. And realizing I probably don't need several Dungeon Crawl boardgames. I had a $200 pledge- $100 for the game, and $100 for the expansions + component upgrades/hardcover book. Pledge manager hasn't come out for it yet though.

So yeah, post-kickstarter regret and thinking it'd be nice to have my $200 back. Once the pledge manager drops I'll start looking to see if I can flip it somewhere. I'm more interested in just washing my hands of it and stopping the kickstarter addiction than trying to turn a profit.

I will PM you

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am extremely sad that I have missed not one but TWO Reaper Bones Kickstarters...the last one was in 2013 and (I think?) they're still getting the models out. What are the chances that they'll eventually do a Round Three? :(

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ryoshi posted:

I am extremely sad that I have missed not one but TWO Reaper Bones Kickstarters...the last one was in 2013 and (I think?) they're still getting the models out. What are the chances that they'll eventually do a Round Three? :(

They did round three it was their awful mech line. But a part four is all but inevitable. I know a goon still has round one mini sets for sale, and if you only want few, say 20-30 minis I might even have some I could sell you at a decent price. PM or monkeypuncher00 at gmail for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

clockworkjoe posted:

Last 12 hours on the Puppetland Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/puppetland-the-storytelling-rpg-of-grim-make-belie?ref=friends_backed

I'll be writing one of the adventures for it. Kenneth Hite is writing a King in Yellow themed adventure as well.
That looks pretty neat.

• Locked thread