Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

what microsoft, and most people, don't get about transparency is that it's stupid to use that transparent menu to give people more room to see the desktop.

you don't do work on your desktop, you do work in apps.

a transparent header bar should show you more of your app. more of the website you're on, more of the document you're editing or a map you're browsing.

yeah, it's blurred, but you can get a sense there's something if you scroll up. it's like a bit of peripheral vision, you don't see it in 20/20, but you feel like you see more.

whereas microsoft is saying "hey sorry we put this big boring bar here, would it help if we kind of made it see-throughish?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pleasure

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

theadder posted:

so not supporting it then lol

hey, at least the text is sharp. pixelated text is my main annoyance with scaled-up programs.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Captain Foo posted:

paging hackbunny

bitlocker is a little too new for me :shrug: but skimming the google results it seems it only matters to the recovery key. the actual encryption key is random :nsa: and stored in the TPM (dunno how a passphrase factors into that). what do I know tho, I have Windows Poors Edition and I use truecrypt fde

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm guessing they do something like salt with the system name instead of a sane thing like the sid

not that you'd notice if they used the SID, because you can't change that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

thats deuce

he had nothing to do with iraq planning

he and spigot were instead assigned to travel from military base to military base by greyhound bus to investigate and report on compliance with the repeal of dont ask dont tell

okay you are going to have to further explain this analogy because i know jerkcity and i'm vaguely familiar with the iraq planning debacles and i don't follow

OR MAYBE IM JUST A DUMB

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hackbunny posted:

bitlocker is a little too new for me :shrug: but skimming the google results it seems it only matters to the recovery key. the actual encryption key is random :nsa: and stored in the TPM (dunno how a passphrase factors into that). what do I know tho, I have Windows Poors Edition and I use truecrypt fde

not that you'd notice if they used the SID, because you can't change that

truecrypt is deprecated

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

truecrypt is deprecated

i use filevault op

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pagancow posted:

Yes but this doesn't look good

better than windows 8 is a low bar, I know, but they're still clearing it

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
seeing the desktop via transparency is useless but being able to see a bit of other windows behind the current one is kinda nice. too blurry to ever be useful for anything but it almost comes close to being an interesting idea with potential use cases

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

a lot of the problem is with microsost'f scaling but an equally lot of ht eprovlem is because of lazy developers

reminder that the loving start menu in windows 10 doesn't even scale so i place the blame on microsoft

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i kind of want to be able to define specific window stacks that are then treated like one window. like, three windows and when they're all positioned/sized relative to each other i can lock them and then drag the whole shebang around if need be

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

duTrieux. posted:

i kind of want to be able to define specific window stacks that are then treated like one window. like, three windows and when they're all positioned/sized relative to each other i can lock them and then drag the whole shebang around if need be

i think this would be cool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i was trying to find my screenshot of the start menu not scaling. here we are

also note the fonts on the tcp/ip window :ughh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Beeftweeter posted:

i was trying to find my screenshot of the start menu not scaling. here we are

also note the fonts on the tcp/ip window :ughh:

i think they fixed this, i don't notice it on my rmbp

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

optimized for touch

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

optimized for touch

:q: call me

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

i think they fixed this, i don't notice it on my rmbp

honestly they might have, i think i only installed the first updated build and it was still all tiny

i'll boot up the vm and see if there's any updates now though and check it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
well i updated and it was still tiny

but i found a way to make it slightly bigger in "zPC settings",

note the tired decade-old meme

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wait the "for great justice" is built in?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hobbesmaster posted:

yep

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

:ughh:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

okay you are going to have to further explain this analogy because i know jerkcity and i'm vaguely familiar with the iraq planning debacles and i don't follow

OR MAYBE IM JUST A DUMB

they used irc on siprnet and the only windows irc client that doesn't support terrorism is ms comic chat

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they used irc on siprnet and the only windows irc client that doesn't support terrorism is ms comic chat

irc on siprnet doesn't seem like a bad idea tbh

ms comic chat is just hilarious. don't they have an ultra expensive custom irc client now for all that?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, they use mIRC. the tactical chat manual is public:

https://publicintelligence.net/mttp-tactical-chat/

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

theadder posted:

i use filevault op

don't use hard drive encryption on a personal (non work) machine, it is stupid. dealing with a Mac which has File Vault on it and got broken as gently caress when the client upgraded her OSX

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bitlocker with tpm is fine and easy to recover from u should use it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lmfao

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

You Am I posted:

don't use hard drive encryption on a personal (non work) machine, it is stupid. dealing with a Mac which has File Vault on it and got broken as gently caress when the client upgraded her OSX

was this 1 or 2

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
let's see. I have backups and I have the recovery key, so I think I will continue to use FileVault, which was suggested to me upon installation of tim's latest masterpiece, OS X Yosemite.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

let's see. I have backups and I have the recovery key, so I think I will continue to use FileVault, which was suggested to me upon installation of tim's latest masterpiece, OS X Yosemite.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
filevault 1 was stupid filevault 2 is pretty good i guess

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Beeftweeter posted:

well i updated and it was still tiny

but i found a way to make it slightly bigger in "zPC settings",

note the tired decade-old meme

this is beyond bad

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
we must go beyond ugliness

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

everything microsoft do is trash, news at 10

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

hobbesmaster posted:

hello gentlemn
all your market share are belong to us

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

its cool how they still have that convoluted "personalize" controlpanel from vista, but if you want to personalize the lock screen image (the first thing you see when the computer wakes up) you have to go to the start screen and do the secret handshake to make the charms appear and then click "Settings" and then click "Change PC settings"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

hello gentlemn
all your market share are belong to us

someone set up us the ballm

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

someone set up us the ballm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
protip for full disk encryption: go into the BIOS and set an ATA password

assuming you use an ssd in your laptop of course and if you're not then jfc what the gently caress are you even doing with your life

• Locked thread