Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

What is an alternative being offered here? Gaining weight trusts in something concrete and specifically defined. This is what consistently bothers me. A profession of faith in X, paired with an assertion that the profession of faith in X is not religious.

Once again, confusing 'Faith' meaning 'Trust' versus 'Faith' meaning 'Religious'

Two different meanings, same word.

Miltank posted:

'Nature' as it is used means specifically what we are not. The fallacy isn't that the 'natural' world exists, it is that we are somehow separated from it. We are not an invention or creation of nature, we are and everything we do still is nature.

e: skyscrapers and garbage dumps are just as 'natural' as forests and rivers.

Yes, they are natural. But while we created the meaning of 'nature' and defined the word 'nature', any other species could come along and create a word to describe the natural phenomenon without any need for it to be religious or metaphysical.

BrandorKP posted:

This is where I'm not being fair. An alternative is always being offered. The FFRF ads I'm posting, the offered alternative is transparent in those ads. It's easy to see. It's not as easy to see in the posters in this thread. But it's there, because it's always there. Because "it's it's necessary to appeal to something if you're trying to convince someone else. There is always an object of faith, there is always something being presented as you should trust in this as opposed to trusting in that.

I'm posting a case (the FFRF ads) where it is drat easy to see, illustrative of this point, and I'm being pretty harsh about it. Am I'm being less harsh to Christians? ( I think not)

Thing is, what I'm saying is can be simplified to: It's ok and necessary to doubt whatever we trust in! And it is ironic for atheists to not acknowledge that.

:smuggo: Don't you see, the FFRF is just a religion, so you might as well adopt MY religion.

Its still not a religion.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, they are natural. But while we created the meaning of 'nature' and defined the word 'nature', any other species could come along and create a word to describe the natural phenomenon without any need for it to be religious or metaphysical.

What does some other species have to do with the FFRF using nature as religion? I think I might not be tracking your argument here.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 25, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

This month's FFRF ad.

What is the point of posting this poo poo?

"Some random organization published some ads riffing on America's civic religious slogans, checkmate all atheists in the world this proves atheism is a religion :smugdog:"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It sounds like a distinction is being made between "nature, in the sense of the greater material reality which includes us, sea otters, heat vent worms, heat vents, stars, and cosmic black holes," and "Nature, in the sense of a deistic conception of an underlying order suitable for religious epiphanies and veneration of some kind without any of this Jesus poo poo." There were real efforts to try to replace Christianity with a sort of Nature-worship in the latter sense, particularly in revolutionary France, so I don't think it is entirely incorrect to say that a parallel is being made there when someone decides to talk about "our real creator - Nature."

I do think it would be perilous to assume that rejecting religion will necessarily make one more rational and more enlightened in and of itself. (This, of course, has little bearing on whether or not the school textbooks should celebrate a particular strain of Protestant Christianity.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

What does some other species have to do with the FFRF using nature as religion? I think I might not be tracking your argument here.

Because they are not using nature as a religion, anymore than any other species that might observe Earth bound natural biology to be a religion.

Nessus posted:

It sounds like a distinction is being made between "nature, in the sense of the greater material reality which includes us, sea otters, heat vent worms, heat vents, stars, and cosmic black holes," and "Nature, in the sense of a deistic conception of an underlying order suitable for religious epiphanies and veneration of some kind without any of this Jesus poo poo." There were real efforts to try to replace Christianity with a sort of Nature-worship in the latter sense, particularly in revolutionary France, so I don't think it is entirely incorrect to say that a parallel is being made there when someone decides to talk about "our real creator - Nature."

I do think it would be perilous to assume that rejecting religion will necessarily make one more rational and more enlightened in and of itself. (This, of course, has little bearing on whether or not the school textbooks should celebrate a particular strain of Protestant Christianity.)

Remember, Moses is now an honorary founding father :911:

VitalSigns posted:

"Some random organization published some ads riffing on America's civic religious slogans, checkmate all atheists in the world this proves atheism is a religion :smugdog:"

Don't you see, VitalSigns? We are just being duped, its another religion! :gonk:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Once again, confusing 'Faith' meaning 'Trust' versus 'Faith' meaning 'Religious'

There is trust in a set of beliefs relating humanity to an order of existence or being. And don't give me that well it's just an epistemology crap, epistemologies always imply ontologies.

Bitterandtwisted,
I'm usually (but not always) taking my understanding of faith and what religion is from here: http://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Faith-Perennial-Classics-Tillich/dp/0060937130). My the whole justification of thinking of things "as religion" is taken from "On a theology of culture" an essay in this book http://www.amazon.com/Theology-Culture-Galaxy-Books-Tillich/dp/0195007115. I also often use ideas from Christ in Culture: http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Culture-Torchbooks-Richard-Niebuhr/dp/0061300039. A good explanation of some of these ways of analyzing culture can be found in "Film as Religion" http://www.amazon.com/Film-Religion-Myths-Morals-Rituals/dp/0814751814. This is a good book in so far as it describes it's methodology at the start in a excellent way, but it then goes on to do very forgettable film analysis.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Brandor obviously considers those definitions of trust/faith to be essentially the same thing, it isn't really that confusing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Bitterandtwisted,
I'm usually (but not always) taking my understanding of faith and what religion is from here: http://www.amazon.com/Dynamics-Faith-Perennial-Classics-Tillich/dp/0060937130). My the whole justification of thinking of things "as religion" is taken from "On a theology of culture" an essay in this book http://www.amazon.com/Theology-Culture-Galaxy-Books-Tillich/dp/0195007115. I also often use ideas from Christ in Culture: http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Culture-Torchbooks-Richard-Niebuhr/dp/0061300039. A good explanation of some of these ways of analyzing culture can be found in "Film as Religion" http://www.amazon.com/Film-Religion-Myths-Morals-Rituals/dp/0814751814. This is a good book in so far as it describes it's methodology at the start in a excellent way, but it then goes on to do very forgettable film analysis.

So, because you see religion everywhere, we should buy your premise? Cognitive bias, anyone?

BrandorKP posted:

There is trust in a set of beliefs relating humanity to an order of existence or being. And don't give me that well it's just an epistemology crap, epistemologies always imply ontologies.

No, the problem is you are taking two distinct meanings of a single word and trying to combine them because its convenient to your argument. You SEE implications in everything, but that doesn't mean those implications are REAL.

Black Bones posted:

Brandor obviously considers those definitions of trust/faith to be essentially the same thing, it isn't really that confusing.

Oh, no, I gathered that. Doesn't exactly make it correct.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 25, 2014

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But you're assuming that that alternative must also be grounded in faith, and that seems kind of misguided. It is possible to be irreligious and retain 'faith', but your claiming it is necessary - I don't agree with that.

In an abstract sense, no action is rational or can be justified without some kind of trust, sure, but as people in a context of 'the world', we are compelled to act. No action can be rationalized without some kind of trust, but they need not be committed with rationalization: you do, or you die. You don't have 'faith' in pragmatism, either it works and you're fine, or it doesn't and you're screwed. Parsimony, follows then from pragmatism: you go with that's simpler, because it's the only game in town. If in general the more complex case is more likely to be true, you can't get anywhere because you have no way to navigate between competing complexities.

Now of course the mistake here is to treat Reason etc as just another kind of entity, so then Does God Exist -> transforms to -> Do Numbers Exist. You're right that the logic of faith is similar, but I don't think that that logic must always apply.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 25, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Don't you see, VitalSigns? We are just being duped, its another religion! :gonk:

Oh well if I'm religious anyway by believing that penicillin works, I guess now I have to accept Mohammed hung out with an angel and wrote the Koran with him, and Joseph Smith found some gold plates that nobody could see but him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Oh well if I'm religious anyway by believing that penicillin works, I guess now I have to accept Mohammed hung out with an angel and wrote the Koran with him, and Joseph Smith found some gold plates that nobody could see but him.

Apparently. The prophet Darwin has taught us much.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Black Bones posted:

I feel pretty much the same way (as an atheist) and am pretty surprised people are so hostile to the concept

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

Because they are not using nature as a religion, anymore than any other species that might observe Earth bound natural biology to be religious.

Aliens wouldn't conceptualize nature in an irrational way and therefore neither do atheists. :smugbird:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 25, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

down with slavery posted:

I feel pretty much the same way (as an atheist) and am pretty surprised people are so hostile to the concept

Not hostile, but failing to acknowledge that using the word 'faith' in NO WAY implies it also means 'religion' means you are either really bad at basic English definitions or you want them to mean the same thing for the sake of proving a point.

In this case, he's trying to do the latter.

Miltank posted:

Aliens wouldn't conceptualize nature in an unrational way and therefore neither do atheists. :smugbird:

Not what I said at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ8MzWncFfQ

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You're surprised that people are hostile to the concept of trying to conflate reliance on the scientific method and just-making-poo poo-up under the single term of "Faith" as if they refer to the same thing?

Uh, okay.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CommieGIR posted:

Not hostile, but failing to acknowledge that using the word 'faith' in NO WAY implies it also means 'religion' means you are either really bad at basic English definitions or you want them to mean the same thing for the sake of proving a point.

In this case, he's trying to do the latter.

I mean, I don't really see the problem with equating the heavy belief in science/logic/rationality as a religion. I get that it really grinds your gears, but I mean, who cares? It doesn't make your positions any less valid, it doesn't make your arguments any weaker, it's just a better way to view the world, especially if you're actually interested in having discussions with religious people who don't take kindly to "god isn't real, lmao"

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

nopantsjack posted:

Can we make up a more interesting backstory though? Its cool how religions have so much fluff but the canon stuff is pretty dull. I sorta get the argument that we don't need to prove facts cause maybe facts don't exist so anything is possible but why not go from "God made the universe" and apply what you see from the world to embellish that theory rather than copy some old book.

What if the devil killed god ages ago and is pretending to be him? Then all us atheists are gonna be sitting pretty in corpse-heaven while you guys goes to hell. Or he's imprisoned Him in some castle and the tower of Babel was actually an operation to rescue him that got propaganda'd out by the satanic bible.

I dunno if you're gonna lean on a belief system in order to handle an irrational universe then you may as well make it new and interesting.

e: I can never tell if people are being ironic or not either. People who are really into Theology sound exactly like me explaining my theories on Game of Thrones lore. "Ah, but a dragon is a double-edged sword, as we can see from reading the prequel short story A Princess and Two Hares,"

I get faith, I don't get trusting old establishment books.

I dunno...if you look at the story of humanity as told by the bible, it's pretty much a perfect model for the Campbellian hero's journey, AND a redemption fable. Though the bible is just humanity's self insert fan fiction of the universe, I do enjoy a flawed protagonist.

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 25, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
You are claiming that the FFRF is using a rational definition of the word nature right? I disagree.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

Oh I am definitely being honest, but I'm not being fair.

quote:

Intellectual honesty is an applied method of problem solving, characterized by an unbiased, honest attitude, which can be demonstrated in a number of different ways, including but not limited to:

-One's personal beliefs do not interfere with the pursuit of truth;
-Relevant facts and information are not purposefully omitted even when such things may contradict one's hypothesis;
-Facts are presented in an unbiased manner, and not twisted to give misleading impressions or to support one view over another;
-References, or earlier work, are acknowledged where possible, and plagiarism is avoided.

Being intellectually dishonest does not necessarily mean you are a liar per se. But you are, however, intentionally misrepresenting what the FRFF is saying and attempting to mislead your audience by doing a bait-and-switch where you start by just referring to the FFRF and then switch to talking about atheists in general without meaningfully differentiating between the two. What would you say if I started quoting the Westboro Baptist Church as evidence that you specifically and Christians in general all hate homosexuals?

Put simply it's undeniable that you fail two of the four standards for being intellectually honest. And it is fair to say that because of this you do not argue in good faith. You need to reexamine your message and your methods because this is counter-productive to discussion at best and unethical at worst.

BrandorKP posted:

But it's there, because it's always there

Sorry, but you don't get to dictate what other people do or do not believe.

BrandorKP posted:

And it is ironic for atheists to not acknowledge that.

Who's not acknowledging it? I have doubts all the time about a good many things and I'm always looking for new and better information.

e: typos

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 25, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Miltank posted:

You are claiming that the FFRF is using a rational definition of the word nature right? I disagree.

:allears: I bet you do.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Ever solve complicated engineering or physics problems?

Sometimes looking at a problem in two dimensions and setting the frame of reference in way that simplifies everything, eventually makes solving the problem in three dimensions with a problematic frame of reference easier. One can work out methodology, how the problem can be addressed in the simpler case and then apply that to the real problem.

It's real easy to see what I'm talking about in those FFRF ads, it's a simplified version of the problem.

rudatron posted:

But you're assuming that that alternative must also be grounded in faith, and that seems kind of misguided. It is possible to be irreligious and retain 'faith', but your claiming it is necessary - I don't agree with that.

Then we have faith communities, groups of people that identify with by a common professed faith in, trust in X (whatever X is). Now that's not an organized religion, it doesn't have a hierarchy or and organizational structure, but it's definitely religion using most definitions of religion.

rudatron posted:

You're right that the logic of faith is similar, but I don't think that that logic must always apply.

I think applies if we think, or have an ideology, our communicate with language. In the case it doesn't apply all we have is left is "feeling" and but that's usually understood as religious too.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

:allears: I bet you do.

:allears:

e: my phone is at 10% so I'm about to be disappearing for awhile.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 25, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

Yes. When I solve a circuit I have to choose a model that fits reality and go from there though and verify anything that's left out can be neglected for the accuracy I want, not assume my conclusion and work backwards until I find some publication somewhere that can be twisted and kinda metaphored into supporting the answer I want.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Nobody likes to think their preferred ideology is just one in a big list of them, or that all disciples are susceptible to the same kind of zealotry.

In case anyone is curious, faith comes from the Middle English feith, from the Old English feid/fei, from the Latin fides/fidere, meaning "to trust".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

Sometimes looking at a problem in two dimensions and setting the frame of reference in way that simplifies everything, eventually makes solving the problem in three dimensions with a problematic frame of reference easier. One can work out methodology, how the problem can be addressed in the simpler case and then apply that to the real problem.

It's real easy to see what I'm talking about in those FFRF ads, it's a simplified version of the problem.

Then we have faith communities, groups of people that identify with by a common professed faith in, trust in X (whatever X is). Now that's not an organized religion, it doesn't have a hierarchy or and organizational structure, but it's definitely religion using most definitions of religion.

I think applies if we think, or have an ideology, our communicate with language. In the case it doesn't apply all we have is left is "feeling" and but that's usually understood as religious too.

Please define the word religion, and present in context the root Latin it comes from.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I mean, I don't really see the problem with equating the heavy belief in science/logic/rationality as a religion. I get that it really grinds your gears, but I mean, who cares? It doesn't make your positions any less valid, it doesn't make your arguments any weaker, it's just a better way to view the world, especially if you're actually interested in having discussions with religious people who don't take kindly to "god isn't real, lmao"

Because it's a false equivocation, muddies the waters, and makes having an open and honest discussion about these things much harder, not easier. How can you have a meaningful talk with someone who can't even use a consistent definition within a single sentence much less a whole discussion?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

If only we had access to some sort of dictionary

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BrandorKP posted:

This is where I'm not being fair. An alternative is always being offered. The FFRF ads I'm posting, the offered alternative is transparent in those ads. It's easy to see. It's not as easy to see in the posters in this thread. But it's there, because it's always there. Because "it's it's necessary to appeal to something if you're trying to convince someone else. There is always an object of faith, there is always something being presented as you should trust in this as opposed to trusting in that.

It's not always there, you just always see it regardless of whether or not its present because of your own worldview which dictates it must be there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Miltank posted:

Aliens wouldn't conceptualize nature in an irrational way and therefore neither do atheists. :smugbird:

I just cannot believe how christfuckingly stupid this whole derail of yours is.

No one is using nature as a mystical force from which humans are apart. Yes, it is obviously true that we made up the word nature, but even if we hadn't, nature would still exist. The word describes a necessary reality. It follows from the cogito, even. Something exists. Unless you're going to try to explain how it's simulations all the way down, there exists a reality. We may understand literally zero percent of it accurately, but knowing that nature exists is not needing to understand it. And no one at ffrf is worshipping it and EVEN IF THEY WERE, that wouldn't change the definition of atheism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trent posted:

I just cannot believe how christfuckingly stupid this whole derail of yours is.

No one is using nature as a mystical force from which humans are apart. Yes, it is obviously true that we made up the word nature, but even if we hadn't, nature would still exist. The word describes a necessary reality. It follows from the cogito, even. Something exists. Unless you're going to try to explain how it's simulations all the way down, there exists a reality. We may understand literally zero percent of it accurately, but knowing that nature exists is not needing to understand it. And no one at ffrf is worshipping it and EVEN IF THEY WERE, that wouldn't change the definition of atheism.

He's been doing this the whole thread.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No see a single atheist said something therefore it defines all atheists forever.

Also how dare you associate Christianity with Reverend Phelps, he doesn't speak for me.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Miltank posted:

Your definition of order would be useless even if this were true.

His definition of order and chaos are the ones from science-- the idea that even systems that have the veneer of randomness often actually have underlying rules is an important one. You can argue that they may be silly, but they are far from useless. Everything you're using to post your ignorant posts are based on this concept, for instance.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 25, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CommieGIR posted:

He's been doing this the whole thread.

I will never stop loving D&D's special snowflake Christians that have invented their very own religion including redefining common words and concepts so that no negatives can ever be applied yet they can still be included in conversations of Christianity as though they are somehow representative of the large and mostly ideologically coherent religious groups.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

however, intentionally misrepresenting what the FRFF is saying and attempting to mislead your audience by doing a bait-and-switch where you start by just referring to the FFRF

I am in no way misrepresenting what they have to say, just pointing at it. It speaks for itself.

Thing is nobody is unbiased. No one can escape having their ideology affect their beliefs and arguments and how they present facts. Edit: and that's part of the point I'm making.

Who What Now posted:

Sorry, but you don't get to dictate what other people do or do not believe.

And I'm not, fortunately. Edit: I'm commenting on how they believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Please define the word religion, and present in context the root Latin it comes from.

Well, if you insist on the literal.

I like that which relates humanity to reality or meaning or truth.

re- again, or to go over again (and this prefix might originate with this word, apparently)

lego to choose
or
ligo to bind connect, link, join

It's probably sloppy of me to like both lego and ligo. But to go over again and again the choices we make binding and connecting things, well that's pretty good description of religious dialogue, both internal and ecumenical. In my personal context that usually refers to a "set of beliefs relating humanity to an order of existence or being"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

I am in no way misrepresenting what they have to say, just pointing at it. It speaks for itself.

Yes you are. They are riffing on America's civic-religion slogans, hoping to catch attention and promote reflection with as few words as possible in a visual medium.

You're taking an advertisement device and trying to build some whole supposed atheist-religion around it. You might as well claim Burger King is a church of some civic hamburger religion if you're going to use loving advertising slogans as dogma.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BrandorKP posted:

You are absolutely misrepresenting what they have to say because you're taking something that was obviously tongue-in-cheek and acting as if they were being 100% sincere. That's the exact loving definition of misrepresenting. You're also still guilty of trying to use the FFRF to represent all atheists, which is also a falsehood, and one you seem keen on ignoring.

BrandorKP posted:

Thing is nobody is unbiased. No one can escape having their ideology affect their beliefs and arguments and how they present facts. Edit: and that's part of the point I'm making.

Maybe it is impossible to be completely unbiased (I don't actually accept that but for the sake of argument let's say it's true) there's still a huge distinction between at least attempting to minimize your bias and the impact of your ideology and wholly and purposefully projecting your bias and ideally upon what your presenting. The former is what you should be trying to do, the latter is what you are actually doing and it is intellectually dishonest.

BrandorKP posted:

And I'm not, fortunately. Edit: I'm commenting on how they believe.

You also don't get to dictate to people how they believe.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

You also don't get to dictate to people how they believe.

No but I can look at it, think about it, and argue that it has this characteristic or that characteristic, and relate and compare it to how other people believe.

And come on now. You're going to tell me these ads are satire? It's well targeted evangelization aimed at a very specific audience, they run them in Scientific American.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

]And come on now. You're going to tell me these ads are satire?

Yes. They're a pretty obvious play on the identical religious slogans that have wormed their way into our civic life by Dominionists in the last 100 years.

Like, you know those are actual slogans and FFRF is playing with the words, right?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The in reason we trust business yes.

But you're ignoring the quotations, Donald Johnson's and Goldstein's words. That salvation business, that nature business, these people actually say these things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrandorKP posted:

re- again, or to go over again (and this prefix might originate with this word, apparently)

lego to choose
or
ligo to bind connect, link, join

It's probably sloppy of me to like both lego and ligo. But to go over again and again the choices we make binding and connecting things, well that's pretty good description of religious dialogue, both internal and ecumenical. In my personal context that usually refers to a "set of beliefs relating humanity to an order of existence or being"

quote:

Religion (from O.Fr. religion "religious community," from L. religionem (nom. religio) "respect for what is sacred, reverence for the gods,"[10] "obligation, the bond between man and the gods"[11]) is derived from the Latin religiō, the ultimate origins of which are obscure. One possibility is an interpretation traced to Cicero, connecting lego "read", i.e. re (again) + lego in the sense of "choose", "go over again" or "consider carefully". Modern scholars such as Tom Harpur and Joseph Campbell favor the derivation from ligare "bind, connect", probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re (again) + ligare or "to reconnect," which was made prominent by St. Augustine, following the interpretation of Lactantius.[12][13] The medieval usage alternates with order in designating bonded communities like those of monastic orders: "we hear of the 'religion' of the Golden Fleece, of a knight 'of the religion of Avys'".[14]

quote:

The classical explanation of the word, traced to Cicero himself, derives it from re- (again) + lego in the sense of "choose", "go over again" or "consider carefully". Modern scholars such as Tom Harpur and Joseph Campbell favor the derivation from ligo "bind, connect", probably from a prefixed re-ligare, i.e. re- (again) + ligare or "to reconnect," which was made prominent by St. Augustine, following the interpretation of Lactantius.[3][4]

The problem with these etymologies, regardless of whether one favours lego or ligo, is that the now-familiar prefix re- "again" is not attested prior to its occurrence in religio and is itself in need of an etymological explanation. For this reason, it has been suggested[according to whom?] that this productive prefix originates in the very word religio, where it arose by dissimilation of an earlier reduplicated *le-ligare, thence as it were *le-ligio,

quote:

In this sense, religio might be translated better as "religious scruple" than with the English word "religion".[7] One definition of religio offered by Cicero is cultus deorum, "the proper performance of rites in veneration of the gods."[8]

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 25, 2014

• Locked thread