Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Torquemadras posted:

Little did we know that system limitations forced the developers to shelve several ambitious concepts, all of which will now re-emerge due to the greater processing powers of the new consoles.

- Each spider in the Freya bossfight will now actually be a smaller (but not much smaller) Freya, sweeping laser included.
- The Pursuer will actually pursue you until you've killed him, even up to and beyond bonfires.
- Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are joined by Throne Polisher and Throne Warmer.
- Aava is backed up by up to two invaders, only they're permanently invisible.
- Sinh's corrosive aura now also breaks everything you haven't equipped.
- You can now be drawn into up to six different Rat Covenant worlds at the same time, controlling yourself in each screen at the same time.
- The new lighting engine actually fills the screen with blinding light whenever someone is praising the sun.
- Mirror Knight now summons another Mirror Knight who is mere seconds away from summoning as well, creating a massive homing chain of summoned Mirror Knights. You can only win by killing him before summoning. Get gud scrub.
- The Velstadt and Raime fights are now expanded by an affection system, determining if one will join you in the fight against the other. At max affection, they will remove their helmets and will have been beautiful all along.
- The Gutter expanded to four times its size. Literally, scaled up by four. Including the gaps in the floor.
- Black Gulch statues now shoot Mirror Knights mere seconds away from summoning.
- Additional feature of respec'ing other players.
- The remaining four pets of the Ivory King turn out to be four invisible Smelter Demons in a blizzard.
- Soul Memory replaced by Roll Memory and Well What Is It Memory.
- Rotten fight is now actually good.
- The Emerald Herald's dialogue will be slowed down by 400%, to help people understand the lore better.
- King Vendrick will now be explicitly referred to by various NPCs as "he who linked the flames", "The Chosen Undead", "Father of the Abyss", "Frampt" and "Crestfallen Warrior", occasionally in the same sentence.
- Old Dragonslayer now backed up by his long-missing companion, Very Old Dragonslayer.

...yeah.

jesus this is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If they introduced a new feature where if you have seven summoned helpers you all unlock a secret gesture that lets you unite into different "morphs" for the host to use as a gigantic weapon based on what he's using in his right hand and the gesture's name was "Team, Unite Up!" then it would unironically be the best game of the year.

EDIT: I'll be honest with you though, I'm super hoping we get Ornstein's armor set. We won't, but I wish.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Gologle posted:

If they introduced a new feature where if you have seven summoned helpers you all unlock a secret gesture that lets you unite into different "morphs" for the host to use as a gigantic weapon based on what he's using in his right hand and the gesture's name was "Team, Unite Up!" then it would unironically be the best game of the year.

EDIT: I'll be honest with you though, I'm super hoping we get Ornstein's armor set. We won't, but I wish.

I would play the Wondersoul 101.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Harrow posted:

My guess is that it won't split it on PC, because the current PC version will be getting a patch to bring all of the balance changes, matchmaking changes, and story content that the new version gets.

The original version WILL NOT get the matchmaking changes, as those are contingent on the engine upgrade.

The community will be split between the old version and the new version. This was said in the Japanese press release.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 25, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Probably been mentioned, but does having the season pass give you access to the upgrade?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It does not.

All the season pass does is give you the DLC for the original game.

Said DLC is included in the upgraded DX11 version, bought separately, by default.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 25, 2014

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, that sucks. After all of my characters got nerfed I've been holding off on playing the DLC, and this isn't really making me want to get into it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

The original version WILL NOT get the matchmaking changes, as those are contingent on the engine upgrade.

The community will thus be split between the old version and the new version. This was said in the Japanese press release.

drat if the new PC version means a return to SL matchmaking, I'll buy it. I'll buy it anyway, cause I like throwing money after From

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

My guess is that it won't split it on PC, because the current PC version will be getting a patch to bring all of the balance changes, matchmaking changes, and story content that the new version gets. It looks like the new PC version's only real difference is DirectX 11 and the new graphical stuff. I could be wrong about that, but that's the impression I'm getting. And if that's the case, I can't see any reason to split the multiplayer pools on the same platform.

If the trailer is any indication, another addition is there being up to 6 people in a world as opposed to 4, so they might have to separate the versions unless they can incorporate that into the DX9 version.

EC posted:

The server based matchmaking REALLY helped DS2, though. Never once was I in a situation where the "summoning phantom" line was blinking on the screen and then 60s later: summoning failed.

If we had that but no SM, it would be great. I think SM is too inherently built into the game for them to get rid of it, though.

Oh definitely. I'm not saying PS3/360 Dks was perfect for connectivity, but it was still okay, especially compared to the garbage that is GFWL souls. Unless you were trying to connect to a specific person and you couldn't get in the same IP pool as them, summoning wasn't really an issue.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

And before anyone asks...

No, I'm pretty sure that there's not going to be any sort of improved matchmaking as we would imagine it on the old versions.

Why?

Because A) you can't trust a word the US branch says (see: Soul Memory), and B) that whole bit is nowhere in the Japanese version comparison as far as I can see (http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html). My guess is all they're referring to is SM tier changes.

Those of you wondering if the community will be split, pay particular attention to the "ABC DEF" row. Those indicate the server each platform will be on. There's all new servers for the new versions.

The 6 player thing especially is going to not be backported.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 25, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait so what IS included in the free patch? The new content, graphical upgrades and improved matchmaking has to be bought separately then?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id refrain from making decisive comments like that until something concrete comes out.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azran posted:

Wait so what IS included in the free patch? The new content, graphical upgrades and improved matchmaking has to be bought separately then?

Included:

1) The content. This means the NPCs, the changed item descriptions, et cetera.

2) Parameter changes. This means stat changes, weapon speed adjustments, etc. This is distinct from radical enemy and game design changes.

Bandai Namco US claims there's some sort of improved matchmaking included in the patch, but that's not mentioned anywhere in the Japanese chart I can see. Keep in mind these are the same dudes who got Soul Memory wrong.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 25, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tallgeese posted:

Included:
1) The content. This means the NPCs, the changed item descriptions, et cetera.
Any idea if this includes "with new deadlier enemies", or what that even means? Are they talking about NG+ style additional spawns?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Any idea if this includes "with new deadlier enemies", or what that even means? Are they talking about NG+ style additional spawns?

Now see, that's the main point of confusion aside from the whole pricing thing.

The version chart indicates that all versions get parameter changes. This refers to, basically, stat changes of weapons, attacks, etc. Game balance changes, like the ones we've been already getting in patches.

However, the new versions get exclusive changes to "game and enemy design". It's not clear what that encompasses. Smart money says that changed enemy behavior and placement is going to be exclusive to the new versions (unless the uproar makes the Japanese devs change their mind, but since when have they ever listened to their Western fanbase?).

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 25, 2014

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

...uuuuuh... Why is my post in quote yellow? Is this some new fancy platinum user stuff I'm not aware of?

Seriously, I could make up bullshit DS features all day, it's as if I actually get to torture players!

Well, in any case: with the updates - whatever they entail -, I guess I'll just buy this game again. :toot: It's not like I'm getting around a PS4 anyway, what with Bloodborne on the horizon...

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

...uuuuuh... Why is my post in quote yellow? Is this some new fancy platinum user stuff I'm not aware of?

Seriously, I could make up bullshit DS features all day, it's as if I actually get to torture players!

Well, in any case: with the updates - whatever they entail -, I guess I'll just buy this game again. :toot: It's not like I'm getting around a PS4 anyway, what with Bloodborne on the horizon...

New feature of the Something Awful comedy forums.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not just for platinum users, they made it so posts that quote you show your quote in yellow now. I would imagine it's so you can find people replying to you more easily.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Torquemadras posted:

People who quote you appear in yellow only on your screen, so that you can see when you've been quoted.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm incredibly curious to see how this pans out. I love and still play DSII, the new content sounds neat, but I have zero faith that they've ironed out the matchmaking problems. From just doesn't have a consistently positive track record here, full stop.

Even further, I'm not sure I'm going to want to split my attention between two From games in a span of two weeks--I wonder if they'd initially been aiming to have a two month gap between releases before Bloodborne got delayed. Hopefully the number of folks online won't dwindle too much if I hold off on grabbing this for a month or two.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Welp.

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/537305334759845889

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Torquemadras posted:

Little did we know that system limitations forced the developers to shelve several ambitious concepts, all of which will now re-emerge due to the greater processing powers of the new consoles.

- Each spider in the Freya bossfight will now actually be a smaller (but not much smaller) Freya, sweeping laser included.
- The Pursuer will actually pursue you until you've killed him, even up to and beyond bonfires.
- Throne Watcher and Throne Defender are joined by Throne Polisher and Throne Warmer.
- Aava is backed up by up to two invaders, only they're permanently invisible.
- Sinh's corrosive aura now also breaks everything you haven't equipped.
- You can now be drawn into up to six different Rat Covenant worlds at the same time, controlling yourself in each screen at the same time.
- The new lighting engine actually fills the screen with blinding light whenever someone is praising the sun.
- Mirror Knight now summons another Mirror Knight who is mere seconds away from summoning as well, creating a massive homing chain of summoned Mirror Knights. You can only win by killing him before summoning. Get gud scrub.
- The Velstadt and Raime fights are now expanded by an affection system, determining if one will join you in the fight against the other. At max affection, they will remove their helmets and will have been beautiful all along.
- The Gutter expanded to four times its size. Literally, scaled up by four. Including the gaps in the floor.
- Black Gulch statues now shoot Mirror Knights mere seconds away from summoning.
- Additional feature of respec'ing other players.
- The remaining four pets of the Ivory King turn out to be four invisible Smelter Demons in a blizzard.
- Soul Memory replaced by Roll Memory and Well What Is It Memory.
- Rotten fight is now actually good.
- The Emerald Herald's dialogue will be slowed down by 400%, to help people understand the lore better.
- King Vendrick will now be explicitly referred to by various NPCs as "he who linked the flames", "The Chosen Undead", "Father of the Abyss", "Frampt" and "Crestfallen Warrior", occasionally in the same sentence.
- Old Dragonslayer now backed up by his long-missing companion, Very Old Dragonslayer.

...yeah.

cracking up at all of these

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Kinda glad I didn't buy the DLC yet I guess. I'll just buy the whole thing in April, or even wait for that one to go on sale. Hopefully Scholar of the First Sin starts at like $40 new.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

AngryBooch posted:

Kinda glad I didn't buy the DLC yet I guess. I'll just buy the whole thing in April, or even wait for that one to go on sale. Hopefully Scholar of the First Sin starts at like $40 new.

My guess is full price, which considering the DLCs are in it might just be a little more than that. Though, I do hope people who have the original version get a discount of some variety.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tallgeese posted:

(unless the uproar makes the Japanese devs change their mind, but since when have they ever listened to their Western fanbase?).

...When they made the PC version of Dark Souls 1 in the first place?

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Best case: auto discount on Steam if it reads the game in your library.

Worst case: oh no I have to spend ~$35-40 over at GMG.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Edit: oops, nevermind

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Dukka posted:

Best case: auto discount on Steam if it reads the game in your library.

Worst case: oh no I have to spend ~$35-40 over at GMG.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure this is how it'll be. I'd be surprised if theres no loyalty discount but if theres not as you said, GMG should have it cheaper. I remember it was pretty great that Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut was 75% off for preexisting owners and I bought and gifted a few copies to people since it was only 5bux. I know DSII Redux won't be THAT cheap but it'd still be nice if it was an option.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

axelsoar posted:

I would play the Wondersoul 101.

Unite Darkhand?

EDIT:

CJacobs posted:

A little optimism wouldn't hurt, you misers.

That depends, will said optimization include fixing longstanding FPS bugs? I feel silly capping my throttle so a my caveman clubs are not as fragile as balsawood compared to bashing shortswords and maces into walls and corpses willy nilly without having to give their durability a second thought.

Though I'd probably grab it anyways, if only because if I put off getting back to the game that long may as well have it look as pretty as possible in the process :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 26, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dunno why people are upset about it, it's like buying an HD version or GOTY package of any video game. It's exactly like that, actually. It probably won't be full price if you already own it.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Dunno why people are upset about it, it's like buying an HD version or GOTY package of any video game. It's exactly like that, actually. It probably won't be full price if you already own it.

Mainly because it's an engine upgrade for a PC game which was supposedly downgraded for previous-gen consoles, that's being re-released less than a year after the original release date. I don't really mind because I haven't actually bought the DLC yet, but if there's no cheap upgrade option available for the PC version, I feel that's a bit dickish.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A little optimism wouldn't hurt, you misers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Haha.

Could always just watch new NPCs/cutscenes on youtube and spare your wallet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Oh yes. I mean it could be 60 $ and I would still buy it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Section Z posted:

Unite Darkhand?

Team! Engaging incandescent form!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I think it's because people were confused about it before and thought they were getting the upgrade for free. Now they know they're not.

Though it'll probably still be full price either way, real talk. $60 and not a penny less.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Summoning has failed.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This might be the 3 hours of sleep talking, but I laughed :downs:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

Summoning has failed.

You're not incandescent until you're stacking two different visible auras plus your swords are on fire.

Also see: Smelter Aura on players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really looking forward to the "augmented item descriptions". There's a lot of pretty boring item descriptions out there, and I feel like a lot of names and things are severely underused. Like the name Eygil, from Eygil's Idol, the big Minotaur statue where the third bonfire of iron keep is. I forget what item talks about it.