Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tollymain posted:

i think that guy who made the lovely transparent wod knockoff? also possibly the reason the grogs thread got nuked so hard it went into the admin-only part of the site

I am Gau Grogsbane. I slew the monster where it stood and bathed myself in its blood and tears.

(He has convictions for domestic and sexual assault.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really? When did that happen?
A while ago. Gau followed some links on the guy's company page to his facebook and found Not Good Things I don't remember, didn't really explain how he got the personal information he posted when he did it, the thread got disappeared because of somebody internet detectiving.

Then when we got another one it had the "Every post must have grog" rule.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Hmm yes clearly this is a rabbit hole we should go down again

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

I think his game would have been better if it included Turbodracula

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Most things are better if they include Turbodracula

Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really? When did that happen?

A bit less than two years ago.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Froghammer posted:

Most things are better if they include Turbodracula

I once believed as you do.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Zurui posted:

Not to get down on anyone who backed it, but even the concepts behind Far West are pretty terrible. It's THE OLD WEST with KUNG FU. Westerns are about gunfighting and law and order, which totally fits with hand-to-hand combat and strong concepts of honor and history because oh God I am so loving high right now.

Also let's have a genre based on the aftermath of a war about racial issues intersect with a genre that is basically about cultural stereotypes.

I could actually see an RPG working based purely on the fact that The Warrior's Way was a movie I did not expect to enjoy but did, a lot.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I don't know anything about Far West, but why would you go with a kung fu mash-up for your Cowboy game when samurai are right there and already used to tell similar stories?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Loki_XLII posted:

I don't know anything about Far West, but why would you go with a kung fu mash-up for your Cowboy game when samurai are right there and already used to tell similar stories?

Because Firefly

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Zurui posted:

Not to get down on anyone who backed it, but even the concepts behind Far West are pretty terrible. It's THE OLD WEST with KUNG FU. Westerns are about gunfighting and law and order, which totally fits with hand-to-hand combat and strong concepts of honor and history because oh God I am so loving high right now.

Also let's have a genre based on the aftermath of a war about racial issues intersect with a genre that is basically about cultural stereotypes.

quote:

Kung Fu is an American action-adventure western drama television series starring David Carradine. The series aired on ABC from October 1972, to April 1975 for a total of 63 episodes. Kung Fu was preceded by a full-length feature television pilot, an ABC Movie of the Week, which was broadcast on February 22, 1972. The series became one of the most popular television programs of the early 1970s, receiving widespread critical acclaim and commercial success upon its release.

I know basically nothing about GMSkarka aside from remembering his hilarious meltdown on RPGnet years ago when some troll registered his name as their forum's account so I don't know if he's of the age group who would actually like this show the way I like Transformers (the rose colored glasses for things from when you were an impressionable kid with poor filters) or in some Quentin Tarantino worshipping ironic way but that's pretty clearly the whole entire inspiration for Far West.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, okay. I've deliberately not looked at g.txt since my last meltdown post.

Good news: you haven't missed much lately!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Loki_XLII posted:

Martial artists fit better than samurai for the American West, except maybe ronin.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I'm on a martial arts kick lately after reading some Jin Yong. What good wuxia related tradgames should I look into?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kellsterik posted:

I'm on a martial arts kick lately after reading some Jin Yong. What good wuxia related tradgames should I look into?

Legends of the Wulin!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kellsterik posted:

Legend of the 5 rings!

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Effectronica posted:

Martial artists fit better than samurai for the American West, except maybe ronin.

Hey Effectronica, I was wondering if you still had that image you had as your last avatar. It's that stylish-looking dude in a purple shirt who for some reason I want to find again.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

NorgLyle posted:

I know basically nothing about GMSkarka aside from remembering his hilarious meltdown on RPGnet years ago when some troll registered his name as their forum's account so I don't know if he's of the age group who would actually like this show the way I like Transformers (the rose colored glasses for things from when you were an impressionable kid with poor filters) or in some Quentin Tarantino worshipping ironic way but that's pretty clearly the whole entire inspiration for Far West.

I'm sure if he was actually aware of the Kung Fu TV show, he would have just taken screen grabs of it to (poorly) photoshop, instead of going to all the trouble of sourcing pants for Mister Dragon.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Libertad! posted:

Hey Effectronica, I was wondering if you still had that image you had as your last avatar. It's that stylish-looking dude in a purple shirt who for some reason I want to find again.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Kellsterik posted:

Tianxia is solid if you like Fate.

LaSquida fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 25, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pity party at Skarka's place!

Get off the cross, Gareth, someone else could really use the wood.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

S.J. posted:

Legends of the Wulin!
Yes.

Error 404 posted:

Legend of the 5 rings!
No.

Okay I kid. Both systems have their ups and downs but I think LotW is much better for wuxia than L5R, if only because L5R has as much math and system mastery traps as 3.5e D&D with the absolutely hosed dice math of oWoD. LotW needs a good deal of houseruling to actually function because there's some obvious vague wordings and outright holes that need patching, but overall is (in my opinion) a more enjoyable system once you work out those kinks; it's just a matter of finding them and/or being willing & able to fix things on the fly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

FMguru posted:

Pity party at Skarka's place!

Get off the cross, Gareth, someone else could really use the wood.

Maybe he should write a book about it. :v:

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Does anyone have suggestions or tips for running with a single player who's skyping in while everyone else is in the same location? One of the players in our group is moving and we want to keep him. I've run all internet games before, but never a combined one. I'm thinking to use two web cams - one at face level and one that gives a top down view of the table.

I'm actually curious about this myself as my group is going to be running into that situation shortly. We don't use minis and battlemats but I'm curious how one maintains the dynamic with one person semi-present, or if anyone else has dealt with that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It wasn't until some nerds made fun of my lovely, years-late, x-but-with-y genre mashup game that I really understood where Malcolm X was coming from.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm actually curious about this myself as my group is going to be running into that situation shortly. We don't use minis and battlemats but I'm curious how one maintains the dynamic with one person semi-present, or if anyone else has dealt with that.
The way I've seen it done was basically a webcam pointed at the table with whatever maps/other stuff on it, and anything that needs to be seen in detail scanned/photographed and emailed. I wasn't a part of the game, but it seemed to work well enough.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FMguru posted:

It wasn't until some nerds made fun of my lovely, years-late, x-but-with-y genre mashup game that I really understood where Malcolm X was coming from.

Truly, the nerd feels the oppression of others keenly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This whole thing reminds me of the picture in H:tV that was clearly traced from the cover of Devil May Cry 4 - did anything ever happen from that?

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Ryoshi posted:

This whole thing reminds me of the picture in H:tV that was clearly traced from the cover of Devil May Cry 4 - did anything ever happen from that?

Someone from White Wolf acknowledged it and said they'd look into it, but as far I know never divulged the outcome.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As far as I know they just never hired that guy again.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
They redid the art for later printings and PDFs, and never hired the artist again.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

For some reason I confused the hair with the shirt. But thank you all the same.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting discussion Sionak!

Re: Mechanics to inspire player fear/tension

Sionak posted:

Interestingly, Trail does this is a couple different ways. For instance, one of its suggestions for Sanity effects is for the affected character's player to leave the room, then the other players and Keeper discuss what form their psychosis will take - and they all act it out accordingly. If the character is now paranoid, the other characters will act a little more shifty toward him or her.

This is a really neat idea for building player tension. It reminds me of Wraith the Oblivion or Better Angels where one player has to roleplay the personal antagonist of another player.

Even though I like this mechanic, the issue with Trail is that you could only use this mechanic when the player rolls Sanity. In my experience the number of skill rolls per game far exceeds the number of sanity rolls one would have to make in classic CoC.

Therefore, I prefer having the percentile skill roll system because there are more opportunities per game to build tensions by hiding player rolls as I described previously.

Re: Percentile Skills vs Skill Exhaustion

Sionak posted:

As for the anthropology example, well, I'm in science, and after just a couple days of non-stop science talks at conferences you can feel like you are very little better than the layman as your brain gets mushy from too much information. It's not that weird to me that sleep deprivation and totally unnatural stress could leave that information right out of reach.

As one rules nit-pick, anthropology is one of the investigative skills, your anthropologist would never been as bad as someone with no rating in that skill. It's the General Skills that can drop down that low and your rating can reflect a few things - maybe your Shooting skill is at zero not because you forgot how to shoot but because your gun jammed on that last shot - and you'll have to disassemble the whole thing someplace safe to get it working again.

I’m going to strongly disagree with you there. After six hours of conference lecture, a short snack, five cups of coffee, and your nerves being shot because you have to give a the last talk at 9:30pm; you may not be able to speak coherent English or even drive, but you WILL be able to give that presentation blindfolded, upside-down and drunk. Seen plenty of professors and professionals three sheets to the wind who are able to speak coherently about the nuances of their subject and correct someone across the room for using a model disproven by the recent literature. In a similar fashion, a professional baseball pitcher is going to be able to through a fastball regardless of nerves, sleep deprivation or the inflammation in his everything. Granted the fastball might be poo poo, but it will still be orders of magnitude more effective than a layman, in general.

That is mastery of a subject. An expert will always be better than a layman in his field of study. In a percentile system, sleep deprivation and everything else equates to stacked penalties of increasing magnitude. An expert with a skill of 70-60% still has a good chance to successfully make the roll with penalties compared to a layman with a base skill of 20%.

The problem I see with Trail skill spends is that that a player can go overboard on expenditures of skills in a single scene and be hobbled for the rest of the scenario in a way that doesn't reflect the character’s knowledge or mastery of his skills on paper.

Granted, I am proposing that skill checks have more verisimilitude; and I prefer that over keeping a system simple, but that is what I prefer.

Sionak posted:

I find this one really interesting because it's reflected my thinking for a long time. However, the last game I ran with ToC, one of the players did a two-point Cthulhu Mythos spend, so I let have him visions of a chamber full of spikes and whispers of the name Glaaki. I thought that would be a huge clue - but none of my players are especially familiar with the Mythos, so it really wasn't.

I think this one comes down to the familiarity of your players. If they know the mythos inside and out, it's better to leave the more subtle trail. But if they're not so familiar - if they mostly know it through gaming - it's okay to lay it on a little thicker. After all, they showed up for some eldritch horror and weird monsters, might as well make sure they get a chance to go crazy and die horribly.

I mostly base this on a couple games where I thought it was super obvious what was going on - another one with artifacts of snake myths from across the world accumulating in Chicago - but only one of my players made the connection with Yig before the end.

I fully agree the degree of detail vs obscurity you give as a GM totally should completely depend on how familiar your players are with the Mythos.

Generally I've had players who have read a great deal of Lovecraft; or more importantly, have played a bunch of CoC scenarios and know how to deduce the identity of a book monster from a handful of details. Ozone smell? Oh that’s a Dimensional Shambler. Something that flies? Could be a Shantank, Nightgaunt or more rarely a Shan. In a graveyard? By the sea? Ghoul or Deep One respectively. How many CoC adventures set in a forest DON’T have Shub-Niggurath or a Black Goat make an appearance?

This is why I usually picked more obscure monsters (The Unspeakable Oath was great for this) made my own, or tried to present book monsters in a nonstandard way. One of my more successful adventures was when I pitted the players against Russian mobster antagonists. Creepy atmosphere, standard “your friend is deeeeeaaaaaaad” set up and some occult paraphernalia thrown about, but just humans behind the horror. The players admitted afterwards they were just waiting for the other Mythos shoe to drop…but it never did, which created satisfying tension.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 26, 2014

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
My understanding is that "my Anthropology skill pool drops to 0" doesn't specifically reflect "I'm worn out and can't remember the cult symbols of Nyarlathotep's servitors" but rather "I've had enough screentime using this skill, time to let something else have the spotlight". Remember, even if you spend all your points from Anthropology, you can still acquire any clue that can be acquired with that skill; you just lose the ability to spend points for special bonuses.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

occamsnailfile posted:

In this town I could probably fill my schedule with face-to-face Pathfinder & D&D games but I don't really want to do that, so I stick with my old friends in person and strangers on the internet for trying new things. In a non-Grindr way.

Or in a Grindr way.

Please get your group's consent before you try new things in a Grindr way.

You should also probably have a separate group for that, really.

I'm kind of surprised by all the groups that are so beholden to D&D/PF, but I guess I shouldn't be. My first real game was 4e, and I played that for a couple of years before moving on. Then it was about six months of 13th Age. Now every time my group plays it's something different, for the most part. If we like it we do something longer for a stint then move on. Free time is too short and there are *so many* great games that it just seems silly to stick with one thing, I guess.

Which is good and bad, really. It's difficult to appreciate a game fully on only one pass and need time to come into their own. PBtA in general is a good example of this. Running Dungeon World for the first time was fun, but I still grounded myself in a more traditional approach. Over time and research, approaching Monsterhearts I allowed things to be more freeform (though still not as good as I could have been).

EDIT: Oh yeah, any word on if Through the Breach can be purchased yet? Are they doing a PDF or is it print-only?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What is this beautiful thing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

6/10, it doesn't go nearly far enough in emulating how the mario RPGs work and it uses old fashioned "roll for initiative" instead of a "good guys bad guys" default turn order. Also there are way too many stats and it doesn't even have timed hits.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

quote:

It borrows somewhat from the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying Game, Dark Heresy and Shadowrun PnP games.

I think this is all you need to know.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

gnome7 posted:

6/10, it doesn't go nearly far enough in emulating how the mario RPGs work and it uses old fashioned "roll for initiative" instead of a "good guys bad guys" default turn order. Also there are way too many stats and it doesn't even have timed hits.

I really like games without randomized turn order. Roll for initiative works in games where combat is the main draw, I guess, like a tactics minigame (4e, GURPS, to a lesser extent 3e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gnome7 posted:

Knock off another point for having no "Stache" attribute.

• Locked thread