Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DoctorTristan posted:

In an uncharacteristic display of sense, Kickstarter has now suspended it.

Good.

Also whenever I have blood taken I just close my eyes and turn my head the other way till it's over. What's so loving hard about that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Not a kickstarter, but I still found this really stupid: https://www.change.org/p/gap-inc-stop-up-charging-for-women-s-plus-sized-clothing

quote:

I was fine paying the extra money as a plus-sized woman, because, you know, more fabric equals higher cost of manufacture. However, selling jeans to larger-sized men at the same cost as they sell to smaller men not only negates the cost of manufacture argument, but indicates that Old Navy is participating in both sexism and sizeism, directed only at women.

95,000 people are really upset that they have to pay more for clothes when men dont pay extra!!

I figured because men's jeans don't really require a bunch of types?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

stringball posted:

Not a kickstarter, but I still found this really stupid: https://www.change.org/p/gap-inc-stop-up-charging-for-women-s-plus-sized-clothing

95,000 people are really upset that they have to pay more for clothes when men dont pay extra!!

I figured because men's jeans don't really require a bunch of types?

I love that she throws out that "men don't pay extra" for plus sized clothing, when the example she gives only goes up to a 42" waistband, which basically covers through XL, so it's hardly inclusive by any measure.

She also complains that plus-sized women's clothes get separated out, but men's "don't." That's because Old Navy doesn't really do clothing for men of that size. If they did, I'm sure they'd separate it out, and I'd bet that it'd cost more. And having separate sections for "big" men is pretty much par for course - if a retailer offers it at all, it's 20 square feet of clothes when there is literally more floor space devoted to neckties. That's not "sizeism", that's just selling what sells.

Neither my wife nor I are skinny people. However, my wife can often find styles at Old Navy because they support her size, and I wish that I had the same range of options that are afforded her. I think this is a fine example of looking a gift horse in the mouth, and seeing bias that really isn't there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DoctorTristan posted:

In an uncharacteristic display of sense, Kickstarter has now suspended it.
I vaguely recall some rules they added a year or two back about no projects involving live animals, medical equipment, or things like that? Guess this was (thankfully) inevitable.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is she forgetting the fact that men have to shop at a specialty store like Big and Tall to get plus sized clothes? Because I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite for women (I always see a petite store at the mall).

I feel like this woman didn't do a lot of research into clothing sales. And that's being generous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asimo posted:

I vaguely recall some rules they added a year or two back about no projects involving live animals, medical equipment, or things like that? Guess this was (thankfully) inevitable.

Apparently the guys running the project have no idea why they were cancelled:

At a guess I have to say it'd be this:

quote:

We prohibit projects that are illegal, heavily regulated, or potentially dangerous for backers, as well as rewards that the creator did not make.

Edit: on the other hand it might have been the part where they asked their backers to spam Twitter celebrities about the project:

:doh:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Nov 25, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Is she forgetting the fact that men have to shop at a specialty store like Big and Tall to get plus sized clothes? Because I'm pretty sure it's the exact opposite for women (I always see a petite store at the mall).

Women's clothing sizes keep ballooning in the name of making fat people feel better about themselves, which is why you get fat women proudly proclaiming that Marilyn Monroe wore a size 16 dress while ignoring the fact that in modern sizes that would be like a size 8.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And even that's not true, she was very small--about a modern size 2 or 4.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The blood thing seems really weird: are there machines that artificially draw blood? Here in the UK you've got 15 minutes to give a pint of blood via a needle and hand movements: if it takes longer, they cancel the donation. Platelet machines actively draw blood, but they've got a set in/out cycle.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blue Moonlight posted:

I love that she throws out that "men don't pay extra" for plus sized clothing, when the example she gives only goes up to a 42" waistband, which basically covers through XL, so it's hardly inclusive by any measure.

She also complains that plus-sized women's clothes get separated out, but men's "don't." That's because Old Navy doesn't really do clothing for men of that size. If they did, I'm sure they'd separate it out, and I'd bet that it'd cost more. And having separate sections for "big" men is pretty much par for course - if a retailer offers it at all, it's 20 square feet of clothes when there is literally more floor space devoted to neckties. That's not "sizeism", that's just selling what sells.

Neither my wife nor I are skinny people. However, my wife can often find styles at Old Navy because they support her size, and I wish that I had the same range of options that are afforded her. I think this is a fine example of looking a gift horse in the mouth, and seeing bias that really isn't there.

It's actually harder to find men's clothing for genuinely big people than it is to find men's clothing for fat guys. Anything I can find that fits my shoulders or quads/rear end is like a loving tent on basically every other part of my body.

Yeah, that's right fat people, I am being discriminated against for being large and handsome and tall and muscular. I had to go to 15 stores to find one new pair of dress pants. Fat people don't have a monopoly on clothes not fitting them well. I'd guesstimate that 90% of clothes only fit about 15% of the population correctly.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

The Supreme Court posted:

The blood thing seems really weird: are there machines that artificially draw blood? Here in the UK you've got 15 minutes to give a pint of blood via a needle and hand movements: if it takes longer, they cancel the donation. Platelet machines actively draw blood, but they've got a set in/out cycle.

I can't imagine it taking longer than 15 minutes, but that seems like a pretty good stipulation.

And in the US, it's the same deal, you pump the blood out of your body yourself by squeezing a thingamabob.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Devo Documentary kickstarter is pretty aggravating. The original release date was August 2013. The last update was in February saying they were trying to edit it down 15 minutes for release, and that August 2014 was the new target date. No real updates since then, apart from the creator popping up every so often to post a video clip from the film (the last one was three months ago).

I understand that two of the band members have died since production started and that probably put a kink in things, but finish the drat film already! Or at least be extremely transparent during the process so people know what's going on.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Steampunk iPhone posted:

even if it turns out to be medically safe, blood donation needles are huge and it hurts to move your arm around when they're in

no one who wouldn't donate blood normally would want to slowly lose blood over an hour while the needle keeps jiggling around in their veins, however i do support this kickstarter because im in favour of anything that inflicts pain on gamers

I'm a semi-regular blood donor and I suppose that some kind of game paraphernalia could work. To make the blood flow through your arm at a good pace it helps if you keep on flexing your fist. A single handed game controller like the Wii Remote would do that nicely but you'd have to design the game well to make it interesting but not so exciting that you hurt yourself and lasting just long enough and what's the loving point???

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

You don't usually see them in blood donations because in that situation the blood just kind of comes out on it's own at a reasonable pace, but yeah of course there are. That's half of what a dialysis machine is.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It's actually harder to find men's clothing for genuinely big people than it is to find men's clothing for fat guys. Anything I can find that fits my shoulders or quads/rear end is like a loving tent on basically every other part of my body.

Yeah, that's right fat people, I am being discriminated against for being large and handsome and tall and muscular. I had to go to 15 stores to find one new pair of dress pants. Fat people don't have a monopoly on clothes not fitting them well. I'd guesstimate that 90% of clothes only fit about 15% of the population correctly.

I promise that as a tall lady it's just as hard. Almost every store has a petite section, only a fraction have a Tall section and even then it's generally tiny. I'm on the shorter end (5'9) and plenty of times I've even found sleeves/skirt lengths a bit short in the Tall ranges so gently caress being 6 foot tall as a woman, almost nowhere caters to you. :/

Now we wait till someone who is tall and obese chimes in to say they have it EVEN HARDER.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Clothing is hard to find if you're in a minority of people with a certain body shape/size and costs more if additional material is needed? Well I never.

Edit: I forgot if it was crowd funded technically but whatever happened with Vessyl? I see that you can still preorder the magic cup of bullshit for about 99bux but I'm dying to see reviews on how awful it is.

Tracula has a new favorite as of 22:42 on Nov 25, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Tracula posted:

Edit: I forgot if it was crowd funded technically but whatever happened with Vessyl? I see that you can still preorder the magic cup of bullshit for about 99bux but I'm dying to see reviews on how awful it is.

Google says they're still taking pre-orders and the shipping is slated for 'early 2015'. Since 'early 2015' is now 1-3 months away and they haven't firmed up that release date, I'm guessing they're going to push that date out.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Remember that wood stick Kickstarter that was supposed to make alcohol taste better?

Someone has taken it to its logical conclusion of putting God drat wood shavings in your hooch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wandering Knitter posted:

Remember that wood stick Kickstarter that was supposed to make alcohol taste better?

Someone has taken it to its logical conclusion of putting God drat wood shavings in your hooch.
That actually seems more likely to work to me than just putting a loving stick in your booze.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
from the Yos: HashKey: a dedicated 1-key keyboard for the hashtag

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1000610379/hashkey-a-dedicated-1-key-keyboard-for-the-hashtag

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Well that image is showing a different type of keyboard that I'm used to so I don't know how useless this really is. For example, I see that the euro symbol is where the # is on my keyboard, 3.

It is a stupid idea and a stupid device though.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Wood chips can totally work. It is how especially Australian wine is made (wood chips in big unromantic metallic containers for "maturization" in weeks instead of months or years). The technique is also used for beers; a friend of mine has a brewery which released a matured stout which got flavoring from bourbon-soaked wood chips. A similar technique is used with quarter cask whisky (smaller cask = more surface = more wood faster) and double wood whisky (imperfect whisky is matured a second time in a barrel with so much sherry it dulls the bad taste).

Problem is, this just adds a taste of wood, which isn't exactly that nice and is very one dimensional. It can be made better by soaking the chips in something tasty, but the base will still be there, so your lovely Jack Daniels won't become a fine single malt, and your cheap-rear end Jeltzin vodka will still taste like a slow death in the gulag. Just with a hint of vanilla (if you're lucky) and wood. Like licking a bar table after a bunch of teens had their sugary shots, essentially. Yum.

You can soak the chips before adding them to your hooch for a better outcome, but then again you can also mix your home-made gin with quality product and get something slightly less lovely. Or you can either pony up for the good stuff, or take your cheapness like a man and stomach your terrible cheap poo poo like a man like all generations before you.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

#fuckthisgayearth

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

It's not a "hashtag" key kids, it's called the number symbol. :spergin:
I thought the standard was Shift+3 or a key above right shift. Or is this to "save keystrokes"?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
You can call it whatever you want, people have different names for the same thing.

Where I'm from we calls it an octothorpe and that's how we likes it

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

This would be great to attach to my phone whenever I need to push pound

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Verge today had a story about a new Sony watch made almost entirely out of e-ink (watchface + band). They referenced other watches that use e-ink like the Pebble and the CST-01. I have a Pebble and really like e-ink technology, but hadn't heard of this other watch...oh, it's a Kickstarter project. And it made 5x's it's goal. And it's 14 months behind it's ship date. But yeah, sure Verge, stick it in an article like it's a real watch and not vaporware.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655017763/cst-01-the-worlds-thinnest-watch

To their credit they are producing prototypes and samples. But after 2 years that million dollars has got to be running low.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You'd have thought after the bullshit that was the Pebble Kickstarter people would've learned to avoid smartwatches on there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

how can you get this far in life and not discover that you can map keyboards

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Pick posted:

how can you get this far in life and not discover that you can map keyboards

In the amount of time it takes someone to learn/do this they could have held down the key and get about 150 hashtags instead

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pathetic little tramp posted:

You can call it whatever you want, people have different names for the same thing.

Where I'm from we calls it an octothorpe and that's how we likes it

Calling it a "hash" actually predates calling it a "pound sign" which makes it even sillier when Americans complain about calling it the "wrong" name.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Calling it a "hash" actually predates calling it a "pound sign" which makes it even sillier when Americans complain about calling it the "wrong" name.

Come to think of it, where did the “pound sign” name come from? It always seemed wrong-headed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tippis posted:

Come to think of it, where did the “pound sign” name come from? It always seemed wrong-headed.

It has historic use as a replacement for the word pound or the symbol "lb" for pound, as in the weight. For example you might weigh a basket of apples and write it down as 10# for 10 pounds. So literally a sign for pounds.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

guys I'm pretty sure the # keyboard isn't like, super serious and people know that # is not in fact a difficult symbol to produce with traditional keyboards

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

FlyinPingu posted:

guys I'm pretty sure the # keyboard isn't like, super serious and people know that # is not in fact a difficult symbol to produce with traditional keyboards
You're posting in GBS, you should know full well that many "jokes" are actually poo poo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

FlyinPingu posted:

Well that keyboard has a Euro symbol where the "#" traditionally is so I wonder where the "#" is on that keyboard exactly.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Well that keyboard has a Euro symbol where the "#" traditionally is so I wonder where the "#" is on that keyboard exactly.

That is a loving Pound sign over that three you blind gently caress. The euro is on the 2.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Modern Day Hercules posted:

That is a loving Pound sign over that three you blind gently caress. The euro is on the 2.

No it's not you dumb poo poo. That's a... oh, I see what you did there. :nallears: Retard.

And I don't know the difference between a euro sign and a british pound so gently caress off

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Still on the 3, but you use ⌥3 rather than Shift-3 to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Tippis posted:

Still on the 3, but you use ⌥3 rather than Shift-3 to get it.

Okay, it's not like the 2 with the @ and the euro sign on it though. Weird.