Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Foma posted:

How is this a good thing? How does shutting down a road people need bring anyone to your side? I feel like people have lost their minds.

If institutional racism is a thing that exists why would you need to protest to get white people to recognize it? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

Agreed, as an ex-racist I can say no racist cares if you are half something else if you are half black. It doesn't earn you white privilege.

It all depends on the way you are trying to turn the argument. Look at Obama. When he's strong, they all call him a black thug. When he cites his own experience as a black man, they get confused. Then Rush Limbaugh (your former king) comes out, and says "he's not black! He's Halfrican-American!" And everyone gets it.

"What can't I take from Nobama," they gloat to themselves.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Vahakyla posted:

I'm gonna need a common law lawyer to help me out in explaining it deeper, but a person can be punched in front of the police station, too, and if he walks away and the punchee says nothing, no one has any reason to chase that dude, especially if they did not immediately see it or have it reported through dispatch.

You can still be arrested for a variety of reasons based on that punch, and the prosecutor doesn't need the punchee's permission to go ahead with charges, although it's obviously very hard to prosecute if all parties involved refuse to cooperate.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Foma posted:

How is this a good thing? How does shutting down a road people need bring anyone to your side? I feel like people have lost their minds.
The system has completely failed and a large group of people were told they don't matter in the least.

People can gently caress with the system as much as they want for a while.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
This thread has really sunk to suggesting a thread for only black people?

Holy. poo poo.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Somebody have a livefeed link on the ground cable news loving sucks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What is this human "outrage" you speak of?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cole posted:

Holy. poo poo.

Uh why is that shocking to you, Cole? Personally I don't think black people talking to each other is a big deal but I also don't think people speaking in foreign languages are talking about me behind my back, so

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a thousand different dumb loving arguments in this thread. But what really offends me is how conservative all you young white folks are.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Weird according to many in this thread if a teenager punches a person the police have permission to shoot them til they die.

Seriously though I guess it's just my state but I thought police could and had to care much more about vehicular attacks like this by default.

They do. They can. Do you realize the separation, though? Those vehicular attacks have a person who makes a police report, initiating the police to investigate. In this situation, the lady has not come forward with anything. Do we even know who she is? The cops wouldn't do anything about it during non-protest times, either.

You can't place people under arrest for misdemeanors that the cops did not see happening and no one complains about. Unless they are some of the exceptions, such as domestic violence.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Foma posted:

Yes, please go and sit in that hidden corner over there so we can continue to not give a poo poo about institutional racism.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

I get that it's Christmas and all but did the artist take a moment to think about whether or not it's smart to say black people in Ferguson need a white person to save them?

Goddamnit you beat me to it, like a cop on a peaceful protester!

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Cole posted:

Holy. poo poo.

I don't anyone here wants an echo chamber of hurt feelings where everyone has to understand how much people are oppressed. Everyone is just waiting for a cure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bassguitarhero posted:

I get that it's Christmas and all but did the artist take a moment to think about whether or not it's smart to say black people in Ferguson need a white person to save them?

much like any other supposed alabaster savior of the downtrodden colored man, he's imaginary. Some children think he exists and others just have a thing for art depicting him, but outside of children who also think a giant rabbit leaves baskets of candy for them, he's not real.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Yes, please go and sit in that hidden corner over there so we can continue to not give a poo poo about institutional racism.

Yeah I'm sure the guys stuck in the traffic jam are going "god drat amerikkka smash the state!!!!" and not "loving lazy assholes, go get a job"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
So there are a ton of helicopters in the air over downtown LA right now. I guess the LAPD is expecting an Event.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Black people should be more like us. Or at least less, well black, like those hard working asians. Look at them, so cute!

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Foma posted:

It forces them to take time out of their busy day and wonder, have these people lost their minds or have I missed something very important about why these people are acting this way? If they aren't outraged that others would interrupt their activities, they might consider even talking to these people they don't understand and trying to become privy to their perspective. They might even come to find that they share some common opinions with the people who are doing this, even if they do not approve of their methods.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

SedanChair posted:

*saddest white face in history* "How can you still believe in divisions?"

Cole posted:

Holy. poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If the system shows that it'll punish you and treat you like poo poo regardless of whether or not you actually commit crimes, why the hell would you work within it? Ignoring that, HOW the hell do you work within it when it's actively trying to push people who want to fix its problems away? Working within the system requires a system open to change, that welcomes those with opposing views. That's not the law enforcement community in the US, especially in urban America.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

Yeah I'm sure the guys stuck in the traffic jam are going "god drat amerikkka smash the state!!!!" and not "loving lazy assholes, go get a job"

Turns out one of the point of protests is to disrupt things to generate attention for your grievances.

Man you'd think half these posters are on the spectrum the way they need simple human behavior explained to them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vengeful Turtle posted:

How about working with the system we have and trying to change it from within instead of "Let's tear this poo poo to the ground, yo!".
Excuse me officer can you please stop beating me to death for how I look, check it out I'm changing you from within

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

They do. They can. Do you realize the separation, though? Those vehicular attacks have a person who makes a police report, initiating the police to investigate. In this situation, the lady has not come forward with anything. Do we even know who she is? The cops wouldn't do anything about it during non-protest times, either.

You can't place people under arrest for misdemeanors that the cops did not see happening and no one complains about. Unless they are some of the exceptions, such as domestic violence.

she was taken to the hospital but clearly it is impossible to find her lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Foma posted:

I was replying to Sedanchair saying "Gotcha bitch, go iron your hood and flowing robes." which I assume he is accusing me of being a Klan-member

Your first mistake was taking SedanChair entirely seriously.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Livestream from outside the Ferguson police headquarters:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9690208/events/3569957

Protesters just started throwing some poo poo at the cops/national guard, and people are getting arrested now too. Earlier there were flatbed trucks loaded up with steel plates driving through the crowd...according to the guy streaming, the steel is supposedly for them to armor their headquarters.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

semper wifi posted:

What the gently caress do you care about their perceptions of the protesters? This isn't a popularity contest. They don't care about how they look. They have a message to get across.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

It forces them to take time out of their busy day and wonder, have these people lost their minds or have I missed something very important about why these people are acting this way? If they aren't outraged that others would interrupt their activities, they might consider even talking to these people they don't understand and trying to become privy to their perspective. They might even come to find that they share some common opinions with the people who are doing this, even if they do not approve of their methods.

I think you are grossly overestimating the self-awareness of the average American.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Frijolero posted:

What the gently caress do you care about their perceptions of the protesters? This isn't a popularity contest. They don't care about how they look. They have a message to get across.

"The best protests are the ones I never have to see or hear about so I can continue not giving a poo poo about whatever little childish problems they have" -semper wifi

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

semper wifi posted:

Yes, because victimized people only protest to gain the affection of their oppressors.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

TheRagamuffin posted:

I think you are grossly overestimating the self-awareness of the average American.

This is not a reason to not protest

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

bassguitarhero posted:

Even black people would shoot Black Santa for breaking into their homes, man.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Jagchosis posted:

she was taken to the hospital but clearly it is impossible to find her lol

No one said that it is impossible to find her. I answered to why the driver is not under arrest.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Turns out one of the point of protests is to disrupt things to generate attention for your grievances.

Man you'd think half these posters are on the spectrum the way they need simple human behavior explained to them.

Frijolero posted:

All they're doing is justifying the actions of the police and ruining the most viable point they have which is the disproportionate police response, particularly to the first protests. It got traction even in the far right initially but somehow I doubt it's going to get any more after last night's arson spree

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

You are insane if you think anyone who can't get where they are going is going to give your cause anything but wrath and hate. Angering and upsetting people you should be trying to win over is just dumb. It is dumb to be happy about it happening and even stupider to think it has any benefit.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

loving :lol:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Why would someone waste time posting tired poo poo about how everyone needs to come together, anyway? There's nothing interesting about that.

They're about half way through Grade 11 American History and just finished reading the Wikipedia summary of "A People's History of the United States".

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Even black people would shoot Black Santa for breaking into their homes, man.

Some freak in a fur coat with shiny eyes and gin blossoms? Dude is plainly a mile high on something. A clean shot, if you ask me.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Honestly, if anyone should be attacked, it's the media.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

bassguitarhero posted:

The Netherlands has you covered here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If the system shows that it'll punish you and treat you like poo poo regardless of whether or not you actually commit crimes, why the hell would you work within it?

Preferably without interrupting my commute, boy.

In all seriousness, the whole point of protests and sit-ins is to raise the visibility of a problem. The threat of people turning against civil rights because they got stuck in traffic from a street protest falls apart when you consider that they worked in the early/mid '60s.

• Locked thread