Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If the system shows that it'll punish you and treat you like poo poo regardless of whether or not you actually commit crimes, why the hell would you work within it?

Preferably without interrupting my commute, boy.

In all seriousness, the whole point of protests and sit-ins is to raise the visibility of a problem. The threat of people turning against civil rights because they got stuck in traffic from a street protest falls apart when you consider that they worked in the early/mid '60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Foma posted:

You are insane if you think anyone who can't get where they are going is going to give your cause anything but wrath and hate. Angering and upsetting people you should be trying to win over is just dumb. It is dumb to be happy about it happening and even stupider to think it has any benefit.

When protesting systemic racism and institutional violence, the most important thing is not to upset people. I learned this in school on that day we talked about MLK and Gandhi.

Alternately: I would deign to care about your little problems, but I don't like your tone :smuggo:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Foma posted:

You are insane if you think anyone who can't get where they are going is going to give your cause anything but wrath and hate. Angering and upsetting people you should be trying to win over is just dumb. It is dumb to be happy about it happening and even stupider to think it has any benefit.

Why don't black people care about white feelings :(

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

If you make them late for work the racists will never support your cause!

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
*cheers blocking interstates*
*watches people loot and set fire to buildings*
*justifies it "People can gently caress with the system as much as they want for a while"*
blames institutional racism when nothing changes

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Koalas March posted:

Why don't black people care about white feelings :(

We need separate but equal highways. Then they can protest on those all they want.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Foma posted:

The civil rights movement didn't wait to win over white people, it just barreled right on ahead and if a white person was decent enough to realize it was the vehicle for social progress then they joined in. The same thing applies to civil rights 2.0; an appeal to whitey is the worst logical fallacy you can make irt race politics.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

tsa posted:

The Netherlands has you covered here.

Black Pete is only Santa's assistant

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Excuse me officer can you please stop beating me to death for how I look, check it out I'm changing you from within

:gowron:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Foma posted:

*justifies it "People can gently caress with the system as much as they want for a while"*

I actually blame you a bit. You are part of the problem.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Voted Worst Mom posted:

It forces them to take time out of their busy day and wonder, have these people lost their minds or have I missed something very important about why these people are acting this way? If they aren't outraged that others would interrupt their activities, they might consider even talking to these people they don't understand and trying to become privy to their perspective. They might even come to find that they share some common opinions with the people who are doing this, even if they do not approve of their methods.

In parallel universe america, sure this might be something that happens.

icantfindaname posted:

Black Pete is only Santa's assistant

poo poo.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

TheQat posted:

This is not a reason to not protest

Fair. For every few dozen first world problems folks bitching about the slowdown on their smartphones, there are probably a couple people with the right temperament to actually pay attention to what's going on. On a high-traffic stage like an interstate, especially around a major holiday travel day, I could see that adding up to a lot.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

paranoid randroid posted:

So there are a ton of helicopters in the air over downtown LA right now. I guess the LAPD is expecting an Event.

Southbound 110 roughly at Exposition was blocked off by about 6 police cruisers from 4:30 to about 7. I was headed north and stuck in traffic, saw 2-3 clusters of 4-5 additional police cars forcing their way south to the blockage as well. I assume a protest, but I haven't been able to find mention 1 of any other on anything other than sigalert saying those ramps were closed. WTF news?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Foma posted:

"we were just about to dismantle institutional racism but now you've ruined it!!!!!"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9690208/events/3569957/player_pop_out is hanging out at the Ferguson PD tonight.

He said a few minutes ago that things are much calmer than last night - when the police feel there's someone to be dealt with they are grabbing individuals from the crowd rather than tossing gas.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Foma posted:

I am not happy about it happening nor saying it has any benefit. I am merely answering your question sincerely. Being able to interrupt someone's daily routine to make them even consider your plight is powerful. Doing it to a whole city is perhaps even more powerful.

Also, your point here also applies to the protesters. You are insane if you think trying to stop them from getting the justice they want is going to give your cause anything but wrath and hate. Yet Ferguson County has decided to anger and upset the citizens they were trying to win over. Allowing the death of a child to be unanswered for is a dumb thing to be happy about happening and it is even more stupid to think it has any benefit. Not saying you are happy about Wilson not being indicted, of course.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Foma posted:

This is a really weird post. When you read about the civil rights movement, do you just shake your head at all of the crazy black people inconveniencing white folks by sitting at counters and refusing to give up their seats on buses? We can argue about whether or not protest is really effective anymore, and why or why not, but the truth is that it was once really loving effective for some of the exact reasons you're saying they're stupid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Foma posted:

Agreed, people should really be looking to help the police arrest and put away anyone in leadership positions. The institutions will have no choice but to do an about face.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Bull Conner's response to the civil rights protest is what moved people to their side. People saw the dogs being let loose on civil peaceful protesters and were ashamed and moved. It was people acting badly that won over the masses, this time the protesters are the ones acting badly and no one is coming over to their side.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Reporters on the scene are also noting more restraint shown by police in arrests

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCrunch posted:

Southbound 110 roughly at Exposition was blocked off by about 6 police cruisers from 4:30 to about 7. I was headed north and stuck in traffic, saw 2-3 clusters of 4-5 additional police cars forcing their way south to the blockage as well. I assume a protest, but I haven't been able to find mention 1 of any other on anything other than sigalert saying those ramps were closed. WTF news?

Oh no stop police don't block the ramps, you will lose popular support :ohdear:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Foma posted:

Bull Conner's response to the civil rights protest is what moved people to their side. People saw the dogs being let loose on civil peaceful protesters and where ashamed and moved. It was people acting badly that won over the masses, this time the protesters are the ones acting badly and no one is coming over to their side.

[citation needed]

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
I'm trying to imagine how a number of posters in here would be reacting during the Civil Rights era. Mostly the same I suppose but with slurs being thrown around.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Himuro posted:

Obama has done us jack poo poo, and I'd like to read any rebuttals that defend his presidency and how the black community has benefited from it in any shape or form.

Milquetoast enforcement of the Voting Rights Act, limited federal investigations of particularly egregious local law enforcement bullshit on even-numbered weeks, arguably a couple boring fiddly reforms to federal social aid programs that happen to disproportionately benefit folks of color.

"Better for the black community than most presidents" is a low loving bar, but I think he surpasses it.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

Foma posted:

Bull Conner's response to the civil rights protest is what moved people to their side. People saw the dogs being let loose on civil peaceful protesters and where ashamed and moved. It was people acting badly that won over the masses, this time the protesters are the ones acting badly and no one is coming over to their side.

Did you literally only read a 4th grade history textbook of American History

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cuntpunch posted:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/9690208/events/3569957/player_pop_out is hanging out at the Ferguson PD tonight.

He said a few minutes ago that things are much calmer than last night - when the police feel there's someone to be dealt with they are grabbing individuals from the crowd rather than tossing gas.

drat, was about to post this. Z claims on Twitter he'll be streaming later, as well, but isn't sure on the location.

Fox 2 is also up. http://fox2now.com/on-air/live-streaming-2/

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If only you blacks would stop using your crime-addled minds to do a crime, I wouldn't cringe so much when you turn the corner and look at me.

LOOK AT ALL OF YOU, DESTROYING YOUR OWN COMMUNITIES. :negative:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

tsa posted:

In parallel universe america, sure this might be something that happens.

I'm not saying it happens, but it might be nice if people talked to one another instead of jumping to condemning one another.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Foma posted:

Bull Conner's response to the civil rights protest is what moved people to their side. People saw the dogs being let loose on civil peaceful protesters and were ashamed and moved. It was people acting badly that won over the masses, this time the protesters are the ones acting badly and no one is coming over to their side.

are you real

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
In the end it was Bull Connor who ended Jim Crow. Through his actions.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

[citation needed]

quote:

963 was a pivotal year for both Connor and Birmingham. Martin Luther King organised a civil rights march in the heartland of a city that was openly segregationist. It could only lead to trouble – and trouble duly followed. Connor saw the move by King as being a direct challenge to his authority within the city. Those who demonstrated faced high pressure hoses and police dogs. The images were shown around the world - of unarmed demonstrators who were non-aggressive being attacked by the police. It could have only done the civil rights cause a great deal of good and brought international and national shame on Birmingham. The irony is that the black population of Birmingham was wary of supporting the march as they knew that it was likely to provoke a response from Connor. They also knew that they would still be in the city when the likes of King had left and that it would be the black community that would have to suffer the long term consequences. Many of those on the march were ‘imported’ and the dearth of adults was such that King used children on the demonstration to give the appearance of bolstered numbers. However, the images of children being attacked by those who were meant to maintain law and order did a great deal to damage Connor. It has also been argued that J F Kennedy was so outraged by what was seen on television, that what Connor led helped to accelerate what was to become the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/bull_connor.htm

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Foma posted:

You know what happened to racist as gently caress politicians from the 1950s and 60s? They just submarined for a term or two and showed back up as 'reformed' and then they gave us the wonderful changes of the 80s and Reagan.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Thank god that white man helped the blacks win their freedom.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Anyway, here's helicopter footage of what's going down at Ferguson PD:

http://www.ksdk.com/videos/news/local/2013/11/12/3144211/

That sure is a lot more police compared to last night... and National Guard by the looks of it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Ew, gross. Someone on the livestream is wearing an infowars jacket.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I was sort of hoping for more substantial evidence than a educational internet blog for literal children

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Race riots and Black Power/Black Nationalist groups and white fear of their expansion if the demands of the civil rights movement weren't at least nominally met? Nope, definitely had nothing to do with the end of Jim Crow. It was all white people feeling generous after seeing protesters attacked!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Worked for John Lewis.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alex DeLarge posted:

That sure is a lot more police compared to last night... and National Guard by the looks of it.

When I was watching the news a couple hours ago they were saying that at the time, NG and Police soldiers combined outnumbered protesters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

Last night had around 700 and dispatched only as a reserve force later in the evening

• Locked thread