Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I can't wait until this all gets dramatized for United Passions 2, with horrible caricatures for the English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I can't wait until this all gets dramatized for United Passions 2, with horrible caricatures for the English
I'm waiting for Quentin Tarantino's take on FIFA corruption myself.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I really hope they get Gary Oldman to play Sepp this time

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Jose posted:

I agree with Marina Hyde, we should invade Switzerland

At least wait until after the state prosecution! We're the only ones whose authority they've submitted to.

Not that I really have any hope but give us a chance first.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

FIFA posted:

They said a series of allegations about their conduct had been "over a period of years, investigated, tested, considered and dismissed".

so choice

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

BlueBayou posted:

I really hope they get Gary Oldman to play Sepp this time

Why would he play himself

Edit nevermind didnt see the r

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
I don't think I previously knew 'Les Murray', but he is:

* The hungarian born (László Ürge) 'voice' of Australian football
* The man who recites the names in the 'Zinedane Zidane' tune
* A former member of the FIFA Ethics Committee

And this is an article he has written about the Garcia report:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2014/11/19/unfinished-dirty-business-stains-world-cup-integrity

Les Murray posted:

I was informed by sources inside the Australian bid team that a member of the FIFA executive committee was asking the Australians for hard cash in return for votes. I reported this information up the chain of the Ethics Committee at the time, as was my duty, but I see no mention of it in Eckert's report.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ChrisXP posted:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/blog/2014/11/19/unfinished-dirty-business-stains-world-cup-integrity

Lol, is the well of FIFA corruption truly neverending

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Reprisal posted:

so choice

It's so nectar

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ChrisXP posted:

Les Murray is the single best thing about Australian football and I won't hear any different

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Why would he play himself

Edit nevermind didnt see the r

LOL

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm waiting for Quentin Tarantino's take on FIFA corruption myself.

I think an "In the Loop" style show would be great

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm waiting for "The Office, FIFA Edition" where Blatter is shown to be an incompetent manager and the entire ExCo is revealed to just sit around all day doing nothing, only instead of occasionally selling paper they occasionally take a bribe from wealthy slaveowning oil barons.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Just a quick reminder that FIFA will have to pay millions to Qatar for a breach of contract if they forbid said country hosting the World Cup.

Would they really have to? After all Qatar doesn't hold up their end of the bargain either:

- the bid was for a Summer World Cup
- Last I know they won't be able to finish the amount of promised stadiums
- those stadiums will not be climatized in the way promised etc.

So I would think a competent attorney would be able to get Fifa out of most financial obligations due to both parties not holding onto the contract.

Alternatively I wished citizens of bid countries could sue the Fifa (or force their federations to sue) due to them wasting tax payers money on a campaign that had no chance to succeed due to moving the goal posts to a Winter WC which may have resulted in certain countries not bidding at all and thus not spending money.

Alas nothing of this is ever going to happen.

CVE fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 22, 2014

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
there is probably something in the contract that lets fifa do whatever the hell they want with it

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
But nothing, alas, that makes them bulletproof.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In hindsight, none of this should have come as a surprise, considering Qatar have been included in FIFA games since 1993.

Child me just thought of them as a crap team with a silly name, but adult me now sees the bigger picture...

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Just heard on the radio that Sony is dropping it's $280 million sponsorship of fifa and apparently Coke is considering it

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ayb posted:

Just heard on the radio that Sony is dropping it's $280 million sponsorship of fifa and apparently Coke is considering it

Samsung are not renewing their sponsorship either. They're finally making a stand on this.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
All hail the corporate overloads. Only thing more powerful than the figures of authority.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
I'm concerned now that the town council won't be able to muster up enough cash to hold another Hereford FIFA Fan Fest without those sponsorships, hopefully Xbox, LG and Pepsi will step up and fill the void here.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

hopefully Xbox, LG and Pepsi will step up and fill the void here.

We all know this is exactly what's going to happen.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

dkj posted:

It wont be anywhere near what they were getting from the big boys though.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
It's a lot harder to justify starting a contract with slavers and despots than it is to continue one until it has 'run its course' for both parties as well.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Qatar were on the verge of losing the 2019 athletics vote so offered £23.5m of 'incentives'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/25/iaaf-doha-incentive-fair-world-athletics-2019?CMP=twt_gu

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Qatar were on the verge of losing the 2019 athletics vote so offered £23.5m of 'incentives'

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/25/iaaf-doha-incentive-fair-world-athletics-2019?CMP=twt_gu

They're a caricature.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

serious gaylord posted:

It wont be anywhere near what they were getting from the big boys though.

excuse me Xbox is just as big as Sony, and furthermore....

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

excuse me Xbox is just as big as Sony, and furthermore....

XBOX one is a lot like Qatar because its gaudy, noisy and overheats a lot. And it sponsors terrorism.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Just swap the gender of all the virgins on Xbox live and you might be onto something

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

dkj posted:

A World Cup that sells Pepsi and Coors is not a World Cup I want to be a part of.

Edit: fun fact, I went to the World of Coke in Atlanta after a tech conference in October, and they were very proud of their Fifa sponsorship. For them to be reconsidering, is a huge deal. :shepspends:

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 26, 2014

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

A World Cup that sells Pepsi and Coors is not a World Cup I want to be a part of.

Edit: fun fact, I went to the World of Coke in Atlanta after a tech conference in October, and they were very proud of their Fifa sponsorship. For them to be reconsidering, is a huge deal. :shepspends:
Coke wants in on everything and it's amazing. Sometime in the early 1990's they got a new CEO whose line of thinking literally was, "We don't want people to think of Coca-Cola as a soft drink. We need people to think it should be drunk more than water". His goal was basically to be the only major cola maker left in the United States.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
After "OK" the most recognizable word in any language in the entire world is "Coke."

Supposedly.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 26, 2014

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

After "OK" the most recognizable word in any language in the entire world is "Coke."

Supposedly.

how much did coke pay you to say that?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pook Good Mook posted:

Supposedly.

I'd believe that, OP

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pook Good Mook posted:

Supposedly.

Jack Whilshere likes this.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

Just swap the gender of all the virgins on Xbox live and you might be onto something
lmao

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/26/serious-fraud-office-criminal-world-cup-bids

In other sports news:
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/nov/26/2024-olympics-qatar-changes-bid-rules

quote:

The contest for the 2024 Olympic Games could feature two cities from the Middle East, including Qatar’s capital Doha, with their chances boosted by proposed changes to bidding rules.

The International Olympic Committee member Prince Feisal al-Hussein, from Jordan, said he expects “one or two” bids from the Middle East for 2024.

Qatar is a sunburnt hellhole that funds terrorism and widely employs slave labour, you say? Let's change the bidding rules so they can host every single major sporting event. That money they donated is completely unrelated to this decision by the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao at the IOC not willing to lose face by being shown to be less corrupt than FIFA than changing the summer olympic games to be held during winter

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30228348

The people being investigated have been named.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Eh it's still under FIFA which means he only gets as much cooperation as the org is willing to give. I'm more hopeful about the FBI at this point.