Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

Malcolm X was murdered as well, so I guess that disproves what he said about violent protest.

So I guess not protesting at all is the only viable solution!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My grandmother has told me stories about her parents cheering and celebrating when they found out MLK got murdered.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sorry for being that guy but can someone post the stream?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mb2Bxzn5yk

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Sorry for being that guy but can someone post the stream?

Looks like LTDagger is done for the night but Vice has one up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4fo-9d7PMo

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Proponent of non-violent protest is a victim of violence? Heh, loving owned. Shows how much non-violent protest works, what a tard.

It is really bizarre the way people here keep using his murder as a way to disprove his words.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I can't keep this up because I have decided only to use my trolling for good, so I have to admit that post is a c/p of the ravings of a lunatic with severe anxiety and agoraphobia who gets welfare because of it and lives in subsidized housing south of Market St in San Francisco.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

tsa posted:

Malcolm X was murdered as well, so I guess that disproves what he said about violent protest.

Malcolm X was murdered by fellow (well at this point Malcolm X wasn't really a black nationalist, he broke ties with those guys) black nationalists due to some really hosed up inter-party politics.

Proponent of non-violent protest is a victim of violence? Heh, loving owned. Shows how much non-violent protest works, what a tard.

I Dont Like You posted:

"Now I wanted to say something about the fact that we have lived over these last two or three summers with agony and we have seen our cities going up in flames. And I would be the first to say that I am still committed to militant, powerful, massive, non­-violence as the most potent weapon in grappling with the problem from a direct action point of view. I'm absolutely convinced that a riot merely intensifies the fears of the white community while relieving the guilt. And I feel that we must always work with an effective, powerful weapon and method that brings about tangible results. But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity."

???!!!

If we're just throwing snippets of MLK speeches out in here, there's also what he said about moderate whites too.

MLK knew what was up irt to the effectiveness of non-violence.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Keg posted:

I can't keep this up because I have decided only to use my trolling for good, so I have to admit that post is a c/p of the ravings of a lunatic with severe anxiety and agoraphobia who gets welfare because of it and lives in subsidized housing south of Market St in San Francisco.

Thank you for your discretion during these difficult times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Violet_Sky posted:

Also, can someone Explain Like I'm Five on why did Zimmerman get acquitted, but Dunn did not? They both committed similar crimes. Why didn't the Grand Jury remember those two cases?

There were no witnesses who saw the entire killing of Trayvon Martin; they only saw or heard bits and pieces, and none of it well. Zimmerman suffered some injuries and nobody witnessed the fight in any meaningful way, so he was easily able to claim that Martin had ambushed and beat him half to death. It helped that the police almost immediately released and didn't investigate him, as they believed him at face value rather than engaging in further investigation until enough unusual factors got brought up that a trial seemed like a good idea.

On the other hand, Dunn walked up and fired into a vehicle full of innocent people in public. Everyone saw what happened and the only defense he had was a false claim of seeing a gun that was obviously easily disproven.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nutranurse posted:

Malcolm X was murdered by fellow black nationalists due to some really hosed up inter-party politics.

makes u think

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
My trolling is a tool for justice...but this isn't my troll.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The residents of Ferguson's black majority are sharing their feelings (frustration, loss, fear, anger) with the white minority, they're just adopting alternative methods of communication since so far other methods haven't been productive in sparking dialogue.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

tsa posted:

makes u think

Not really, the nation of islam sucks giant, sweaty cocks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

MLK knew what was up irt to the effectiveness of non-violence.

With an explanation that people who engage in riots aren't monsters while reiterating that he is a proponent of non-violent protest as the most powerful weapon disadvantaged people have.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

With an explanation that people who engage in riots aren't monsters while reiterating that he is a proponent of non-violent protest as the most powerful weapon disadvantaged people have.

Exactly! I'm glad we see eye to eye here.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Foma posted:

Yes, I believe in democracy, I think the system we have going for it is good and solid, I think a lot of the problems we have are do to people not participating in those systems and being disenfranchised.

if those plebes would just do things the proper way and elect the right tribunes then the republic would be fine and we wouldn't have to go through all this hiring thugs to murder tribunes and putting down periodic rebellions business

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Planned protests in the ilk of MLK and Ghandi and the spontaneous riots that erupt from them are two separate things. Protests are about hope, riots are about rage and, in the worst case, despair. The Ferguson case is a prime example of the impartiality of the legal system failing to overcome the incompetent racist hacks who infest it, and it's understandable that many are interpreting it as a signal that black people just don't have a legitimate avenue to justice. Violent outbursts have been a part of literally every progressive revolution and civil rights battle throughout history. You hear about the leaders who had the genius to channel that rage into something positive, but all of them were preceded by plenty of violence.

Looting and violence sucks, and it doesn't progress a cause in a legitimate way. The same goes for Palestinian terrorism, guillotining shopkeepers, Mandela's call to arms for the ANC, and plenty of other terrible consequences of oppression. But here's a newsflash: oppression is going to engender lovely reactions. It's not the onus of the oppressed to reform the system, because they don't have the power to do so in a system that's designed to deny them a voice - it's the onus of the oppressor.

And lol at the idea that we have a democracy that's "going well". We have a system of legalized bribery, and a handful of the people who've bought your so-called elected representatives (I'm looking at the Koch-brothers) are quasi-fascist racist fucks. Good luck voting your way to justice.

Red Pyramid fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 26, 2014

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

The residents of Ferguson's black majority are sharing their feelings (frustration, loss, fear, anger) with the white minority, they're just adopting alternative methods of communication since so far other methods haven't been productive in sparking dialogue.

They just need to register to vote and remember one remember sentence MLK Jr said once.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Not really, the nation of islam sucks giant, sweaty cocks.
Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Exactly! I'm glad we see eye to eye here.

Maybe don't imply that him being a victim of violence has anything to do with his philosophy being wrong.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

tsa posted:

I think the murders of MLK, Malcolm X, the kids in Mississippi and countless other during the Civil Rights Movement demonstrates the insolubility of the problem, not that one method or another is 'more effective'. In that sense, raging against the changes-at-molasses-pace society that kills you for grocery shopping if you have the wrong skin color is probably the only thing left to do, whether said rage is a positive influence or not.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Maybe don't imply that him being a victim of violence has anything to do with his philosophy being wrong, then.

Maybe learn 2 read, bruh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Maybe learn 2 read, bruh.

Sorry, you're absolutely doing that by responding to statements of his philosophy with "guy who got shot in his loving head"

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013

Red Pyramid posted:

Planned protests in the ilk of MLK and Ghandi and the spontaneous riots that erupt from them are two separate things. Protests are about hope, riots are about rage and, in the worst case, despair. The Ferguson case is a prime example of the impartiality of the legal system failing to overcome the incompetent racist hacks who infest it, and it's understandable that many are interpreting it as a signal that black people just don't have a legitimate avenue to justice. Violent outbursts have been a part of literally every progressive revolution and civil rights battle throughout history. You hear about the leaders who had the genius to channel that rage into something positive, but all of them were preceded by plenty of violence.

Looting and violence sucks, and it doesn't progress a cause in a legitimate way. The same goes for Palestinian terrorism, guillotining shopkeepers, Mandela's call to arms for the ANC, and plenty of other terrible consequences of oppression. But here's a newsflash: oppression is going to engender lovely reactions. It's not the onus of the oppressed to reform the system, because they don't have the power to do so in a system that's designed to deny them a voice - it's the onus of the oppressor.

All the examples of oppression you listed make the oppression seen with Blacks in America seem miniscule. You honestly can't go comparing Apartheid with what's happening in America. That's just an insult to those who actually experienced the Apartheid.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry, you're absolutely doing that by responding to statements of his philosophy with "guy who got shot in his loving head"

No, but ok. :shrug:

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
mlk, noted underachiever,

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

towelieban posted:

All the examples of oppression you listed make the oppression seen with Blacks in America seem miniscule. You honestly can't go comparing Apartheid with what's happening in America. That's just an insult to those who actually experienced the Apartheid.

Be reasonable, black americans, its only a little injustice.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

No, but ok. :shrug:

What is pointing that out supposed to mean, then?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the white middle-class nerds engaging in narcissistic displays of fashionable radicalism are doing so not merely against the explicit and strenuous requests of basically every Ferguson community leader, they're doing so in a way that is all but guaranteed to assist the establishment in cynically catalyzing reactionary white backlash and sweeping the injustice as the heart of all this under the rug.

If you're one of those internet bystanders and are openly for rioting, you're de facto supporting the white supremacists. :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

What is pointing that out supposed to mean, then?

That despite his commitment to non-violence he still lost in the end because he died early and now gets to spin in his grave as we rollback the civil rights movement one dead black kid and supreme court decision at a time.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

All right so I can't pick up any streams tonight because I'm out in the boonies. All I can get is cnn. How's it looking tonight?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I Dont Like You posted:

They just need to register to vote and remember one remember sentence MLK Jr said once.

They're keeping it in mind but for now I'm all for them adopting the language of the white minority, if not the message as well:

Be afraid to come out of your house. Know your property can be taken from you without recourse and for no other reason than to set an example. You are not to be trusted.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

nutranurse posted:

That despite his commitment to non-violence he still lost in the end because he died early

I don't really think that follows. The movement he worked for wasn't going to be won or lost over his survival.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

The Insect Court posted:

All the white middle-class nerds engaging in narcissistic displays of fashionable radicalism are doing so not merely against the explicit and strenuous requests of basically every Ferguson community leader, they're doing so in a way that is all but guaranteed to assist the establishment in cynically catalyzing reactionary white backlash and sweeping the injustice as the heart of all this under the rug.

If you're one of those internet bystanders and are openly for rioting, you're de facto supporting the white supremacists. :colbert:

no u

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

The Insect Court posted:

is anyone openly advocating for rioting or is it more like, "I understand why it's happening and I can't really condemn it."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

towelieban posted:

"Yeah, black people, you're disproportionately imprisoned, poor, and have a weird tendency to get shot by police with literally no consequences happening to your murderer, but we don't call it apartheid so why don't you just sack up and deal with it?"

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Maybe don't imply that him being a victim of violence has anything to do with his philosophy being wrong.

Okay - so if MLK's methods were so convincing, why did James Earl Ray decide to shoot him? Shouldn't MLK's words have soothed his trigger finger to sleep, so to speak?

I find MLK's philosophy to be admirable & I find his speeches inspiring, but they did not heal the great racist gash in American society, and his death is a terrible tribute to that (as was the aftermath).

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

The Insect Court posted:

Not really sure what black people can do to not cause reactionary white backlash besides disappear from the face of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Sure, we disproportionately purge you from voter roles for spurious reasons, imprison you at a higher rate, plan our cities to isolate you and cut you off from utilities, and target you for violence with no repercussions, but have you considered that at least you live in America?

• Locked thread