Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iny posted:

I'm sorry that you're so bad at not taking damage despite having higher speed and damage attributes than any other starting character apart from Azazel's brimstone, then?

It's the opposite, the hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It's the opposite, the hearts.

Huh? Hurt yourself on Basement 1 where it doesn't matter, and then just don't pick up any red hearts. You're not as good as Cain, I'll admit that, but Cain is close after Isaac and Azazel for best character in the game.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

I swear to God I have gone entire runs without seeing a single devil deal that is worth a drat. Goddamnit I have SO MUCH health, stop giving me red chests that have nothing in them!!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

a bloody icon posted:

I swear to God I have gone entire runs without seeing a single devil deal that is worth a drat. Goddamnit I have SO MUCH health, stop giving me red chests that have nothing in them!!

Okay well how about a Brother Bobby and a Headless Baby? A steal for just one heart each! :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Iny posted:

I'm sorry that you're so bad at not taking damage despite having higher speed and damage attributes than any other starting character apart from Azazel's brimstone, then?

You didn't even read half of the post you're being condescending about.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iny posted:

Huh? Hurt yourself on Basement 1 where it doesn't matter, and then just don't pick up any red hearts. You're not as good as Cain, I'll admit that, but Cain is close after Isaac and Azazel for best character in the game.

It's very easy to accidentally run into hearts or just have one spawn on you when killing a boss.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Iny posted:

All of the items except the Lost five? All of the secrets except for the eight Lost ones and the two Platinum God ones, 168/178? All of the endings, too?

337 items, 16 endings, 169 secrets. I've unlocked the Lost but haven't beat anything with him. Looking at the collection page I'm missing Isaac's Heart, the D100, Godhead, The Mind, The Body, and The Soul. That doesn't add up to 341, though, so I don't know.

e: Killed Triachnid, still no Platinum God.

Van Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 26, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Genocyber posted:

It's very easy to accidentally run into hearts or just have one spawn on you when killing a boss.

Also it's a PITA to activate it if you have a lot of soul hearts and pick up a health up (or accidentally touch a heart). It would be nice if Whore of Babylon had some extra effect to make it easier to keep it active, like making health ups give you empty heart containers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Health ups giving you soul hearts like it does ??? would be amazing since red health is completely useless to you as Eve. Unless you have Guppy's Paw, anyway.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Okay well how about a Brother Bobby and a Headless Baby? A steal for just one heart each! :v:

:arghfist::saddowns:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Kawalimus posted:

Uuuughhhh got beat by the Lamb with Lost on hard, had his health down to the last like 1/8th, had holy mantle active, got hit twice by his loving brimstone. gently caress

Press Escape before the game over screen. Then AltF4. Sure when you Continue you'll have to redo the whole floor but would you rather redo the run?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Health ups giving you soul hearts like it does ??? would be amazing since red health is completely useless to you as Eve. Unless you have Guppy's Paw, anyway.

They're also nice for Devil Deals since red heart prices are cheaper.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

HGH posted:

Press Escape before the game over screen. Then AltF4. Sure when you Continue you'll have to redo the whole floor but would you rather redo the run?

You can do that?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

HGH posted:

Well it was too late for that :D

But I did it. I did it!!!! I beat that god drat lamb thanks to brimstone and good damage and an emperor card and holy mantle and dead cat.

Now all I have to do is boss rush.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

AndroidHub posted:

Just another night of praying for the sweet release of death to liberate me from playing the lost...

You'll get that sweet release many, many times if you play as The Lost.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

You can do that?

I have been doing that for the past hour and a half trying to get the Boss Rush done. Luckily there was a Bible handy on the floor. You just gotta Continue from the Main menu.
But the goddamn Bloat's lasers keep getting me.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Death's Touch + Monstro's Lung was kinda funny. Each shot took like 5 seconds to charge but vomiting scythes was pretty rad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like Monstro's Lung. I just had a run where I had that, Mutant Spider, and Brimstone and I was going around oneshotting all the bosses. The only things that took more than one hit were Isaac, ???, and the final form of Mega Satan. That was a fun run.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, Monstro's Lung rules.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Waffleopolis posted:

Just died on my Lost with with the mentioned Epic Fetus/Dead Cat above. Died to two Lokis in the room before Isaac. I at least unlocked the "O" baby. :shobon:

So when doing a lost run, what's best to do first, ??? or the Lamb? The Lamb path has Mind and Soul which can be very useful in Lost runs (especially Soul), and the ??? path has Body (useless for Lost) and Isaac's Heart. I'm not entirely sure how good Isaac's Heart is when you need to protect it.

Isaac's Heart is garbage, for that reason alone I'd go Lamb path first.

I went Lamb first because I thought I had a super broken loadout and thought it'd be better to get the Dark Room out of the way first, then what was supposed to just be my hard Mom's Heart Lost run turned into a full clear of the Cathedral, now I've got to do the other path on Hard again while I could just rip the Cathedral band-aid off in one run :v:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I seriously might do that "Close during death animation" strategy for the Lost. I am all up for challenge, but there are some aspects to the game that just don't fit at all when playing The Lost. I counted the entire list of items in the game, and 59 of them are 100% useless as The Lost, yet they can (and will) show up. That's a little above 1/7 of the item pool. If they did something to they had an alternate effect when you play as The Lost, I am all for it, otherwise it just so boring having to restart games because you run into too many items that do nothing for you at all.

Also gently caress spiders. I've died too many times to spiders to count. :mad:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kaethela posted:

The * Boy achievements only count the second floor of each chapter. You can take all the damage you like on Basement 1 and no damage on 2 and still unlock Basement Boy, for instance.

I didn't know that. I am still quite certain I didn't take any kind of damage in both rooms of each set, but only got the * Boy achievements (expectedly), but not the Samson one (which I got on its own later in another playthrough). But maybe I remember it wrong somehow.

In other news, Edmund talking about an expansion in his blog... I mean it was to be expected, but I was hoping that perhaps some more rebalancing and maybe additional synergies would be patched to the existing game before an expansion was in the works. Now, I can't help thinking how ridiculous the game will be with even more content...

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I can't wait until modding is in the game so I can remove:

a) The Adversary
b) Bob's Brain
c) The Poop
d) Crack the Sky
e) White Pony
f) a bunch of other crap

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I can't wait until modding is in the game so I can remove:

a) The Adversary
b) Bob's Brain
c) The Poop
d) Crack the Sky
e) White Pony
f) a bunch of other crap

Crack the Sky wouldn't suck if it did a slightly lesser sweep of beams ala Isaac. But it just just a beam in random places that it so tiny. :(

Edit: Heck, mod Crack the SKy to do that! :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's based on Conquest's rays of light rather than Isaac's.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

White Pony is really good if you're running stuff regularly just for flight, idk why it's on that list (unless it hosed up a Meat Boy/Bandage Girl run for you in which case :respek: )

On that note, in Necropolis 1 I've got D6/Pyromaniac/Sharp Plug/Placenta. I technically could indefinitely cheese rerolls for Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus/Ipecac/Pyro with Placenta regen, and at this point I'm not above leaving the game running while I'm doing other stuff while waiting for Placenta regen. Time to accidentally step on The Negative after Mom or something.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

What's wrong with the Adversary?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

His laser is really hard to dodge and as the Lost that's an instant game over. I wouldn't remove him from the game or anything, but he is one of the harder generic bosses.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I think I need to get those last 100ish coins into the donation machine to unlock to the stopwatch before I try the lost anymore, I've known it was a thing for a few days, I just hadn't put two and two together.

Also has anybody gotten monstro's lung + deaths touch? Basically I'm wondering if you vomit a pile of scythes.

e: I do feel like playing the lost so much is making me better at the game though, I mean if you learn to never get hit then any run should be easy street (short of stuff like challenges).

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
He's been the hardest fight in the game for me. Not even in a challenging way, just that depending on my damage output he gets a corresponding amount of guaranteed hits with his instant no-tell seeking brimstone. He feels unfinished and bullshit. If I designed a game like this I'd go the Capcom or bullet hell route in that if you get hit it's your fault.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, if you don't have enough damage to take him out very quickly, the adversary is pretty much guaranteed to hurt you. His homing brimstone attack is one of the few boss attacks that I have found no good way of predicting/dodging. If you keep circling around, you can avoid some of those shots, but it's pretty much the fuckiest boss in the game imo.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Why does Isaac's Tears and its eight bar cooldown exist when Tammy's Head exists, fires more tears, and works every room?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Locke Dunnegan posted:

He's been the hardest fight in the game for me. Not even in a challenging way, just that depending on my damage output he gets a corresponding amount of guaranteed hits with his instant no-tell seeking brimstone.

His blood laser has a tell: it's about a third of a second of his body distorting. Basically you fight adversary by being at medium range and moving constantly, stopping to hit him a little bit only after he does an attack.

That's with just the one, though. Getting double Adversary in the dark room is horrifying and one of the biggest "do I have enough damage?" tests in the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Daeren posted:

Why does Isaac's Tears and its eight bar cooldown exist when Tammy's Head exists, fires more tears, and works every room?

Isaac's Tears charges whenever you shoot, not just when you clear a room. So you can use it multiple times in one room, and probably more often than Tammy's Head + 9 Volt.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

White Pony is really good if you're running stuff regularly just for flight, idk why it's on that list (unless it hosed up a Meat Boy/Bandage Girl run for you in which case :respek: )

On that note, in Necropolis 1 I've got D6/Pyromaniac/Sharp Plug/Placenta. I technically could indefinitely cheese rerolls for Epic Fetus/Dr. Fetus/Ipecac/Pyro with Placenta regen, and at this point I'm not above leaving the game running while I'm doing other stuff while waiting for Placenta regen. Time to accidentally step on The Negative after Mom or something.

Anyone guess how I'd gently caress this up? Think for a sec and mouse over~

So, if you cycle through all the items in the game in an infinite reroll setup, do you get repeats at some point or will the game just crash? I'm probably going to find out, but if the answer's that the game crashes I'd rather not waste my time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Once you have seen every item once the game just gives Breakfast (1 hp up) in all possible situations where an item can appear. That happens to prevent it from crashing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Power of Pecota posted:

Anyone guess how I'd gently caress this up? Think for a sec and mouse over~

So, if you cycle through all the items in the game in an infinite reroll setup, do you get repeats at some point or will the game just crash? I'm probably going to find out, but if the answer's that the game crashes I'd rather not waste my time.

Surely you can just start rerolling the item dropped from the boss?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Once you have seen every item once the game just gives Breakfast (1 hp up) in all possible situations where an item can appear. That happens to prevent it from crashing.

D4 does this too, which is loving lame.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So I start as Eden. Sacrificial Dagger and the Book of Shadows. Interesting. Hey, is that Tiny Planet? Hell, let's go with it. Then... Chocolate Milk. That was not bad, even good -- contrary to what I expected, it allowed me to rapid fire at a much quicker rate provided I was willing to tap the button. Then I got Coal from Krampus: it was even great, shots stayed in the air for a long time and got substantial damage boost.

And then... Then I saw Mom's Knife at a Devil deal. I couldn't resist to see what happens. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Locke Dunnegan posted:

He's been the hardest fight in the game for me. Not even in a challenging way, just that depending on my damage output he gets a corresponding amount of guaranteed hits with his instant no-tell seeking brimstone. He feels unfinished and bullshit. If I designed a game like this I'd go the Capcom or bullet hell route in that if you get hit it's your fault.
It has a tell and is not instant though. You just gotta stay relatively close to him and when he moves immediately move 90 degrees around him.

Double Adversary is very very tough to avoid damage on though.