Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Hey, another question, which may sound flippant, but is actually sincere.

How does the story actually make any sense? I mean, God sacrificed Himself to Himself to give Himself a loophole through which he could cheat people into heaven? That makes it seem like God is subject to certain laws of goodness outside of his control. It reads like the plot of LOST. He's God, right? Couldn't he just say "woah, like almost no one is getting into heaven by trying to strictly follow Hebrew law. Guess that's not working. Hey, I know...I'll just change the rules! Boop! Now people can get into heaven for the low low price of faith (or even nothing, if you're right). Wow, that feels good!" And even more, why would God have to have tried so many methods that didn't work? "Oh no, Adam ate from the tree, gotta kick him out of Eden. Oh no, too many sinners, better flood the world and kill everyone but Noah. Oh no, these two cities are sinning too much, gonna level them with fire and brimstone. drat, this still isn't working. What else haven't I tried? Ooh, I know, how about Jesus?" Why not start with Jesus, if he knows that's where he's gotta end up? Like, God doesn't change, and God doesn't make mistakes. Or does He? Again, this is the doctrine as I understand it.

If Christianity were a movie, there's be a BuzzFeed article in an hour: "11 Gaping Plotholes in The Bible You Could Drive A Mack Truck Through" coupled with gifs of Michael Scott looking frazzled.

It is a sacred mystery to ponder, and you will always gain by thinking about it. Jesus, sinless, preached the forgiveness of sins. He taught eternal life, and the true spirit of the law. He was put to death for it, as he prophesied. Then he resurrected, as he prophesied.

His sacrifice on the cross was instrumental to his teaching. He saw it necessary to prove, via his resurrection, that resurrection was real, and that even men condemned on this Earth were capable of it. He was doing this for our spiritual benefit, out of his love for us. Going through the worst torments, the worst injustices, so that we might observe that he is with us when we undergo the same. This is infinitely more powerful for God to do than to snap his fingers and end all evil, which he could do, but chooses not to, in his divine wisdom, and as his divine right.

God did not change the rules, but upheld the same rules that have always been in place. Jesus existed at the beginning of time, with the Father and the Spirit, as they are one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Hey guys, just got back from church where joined together in praise. As I made my pilgrimage after the mass concluded, I stopped to partake in communion at a local chapel.

Translation for all you idiots who don't get that everything is religion: I just got back from taking my final. On my way home, I stopped at an Arby's and got dinner.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Church does uphold predestination, which is attested to in the Bible. It just does not reject free will, and interestingly neither does Zizek in his "nuanced" theology. You can look at CCC 600 for the official Catholic teaching on predestination and free will.

fade5 posted:

Universalism/universal reconciliation, the OG Christian afterlife theology, and pretty much the only one that doesn't make God into a mean, vengeful rear end in a top hat who tortures people for eternity. Universalism's cool, it's basically the backbone of the squishy, contradictory mess you could call my belief system. Universalism really should be a more popular theology/belief, but for some reason people prefer the ability to threaten nonbelievers with eternal punishment rather than assuring them that the afterlife will be better than their current one.

There is a problem with it, which is that the Bible directly contradicts it. A Christian is obligated to hope for the salvation of all, but to respect God's final judgment. One cannot demand of God that he does not cast anyone apart from him into the eternal fire. God accepts only his servants and slaves into Heaven, not those who challenge his Will, which is good and just. And if it seems otherwise to you, it is because you are a mere mortal with no wisdom, as all of your wisdom proceeds from your Creator, and he can change your mind tomorrow, and very well may, if you invite him to.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

quote:

It is a sacred mystery to ponder, and you will always gain by thinking about it. Jesus, sinless, preached the forgiveness of sins. He taught eternal life, and the true spirit of the law. He was put to death for it, as he prophesied. Then he resurrected, as he prophesied.

His sacrifice on the cross was instrumental to his teaching. He saw it necessary to prove, via his resurrection, that resurrection was real, and that even men condemned on this Earth were capable of it. He was doing this for our spiritual benefit, out of his love for us. Going through the worst torments, the worst injustices, so that we might observe that he is with us when we undergo the same. This is infinitely more powerful for God to do than to snap his fingers and end all evil, which he could do, but chooses not to, in his divine wisdom, and as his divine right.

God did not change the rules, but upheld the same rules that have always been in place. Jesus existed at the beginning of time, with the Father and the Spirit, as they are one.

Assuming that this is not a joke post:

How can you possibly know that the resurrection part of the mythology - the part that is necessary to substantiate Jesus's claim about his divinity - happened? Even if you were willing to believe eye witness testimony, we don't have it. Everything we do have is third hand, and was written well after Jesus, whomever he was, had left this world in one way or another. One would expect that this would be rather big news in Rome, from which we have excavated tons (literally tons) of documentation... and there's no mention of it. The best we have is a very dull, very ordinary listing of the supposed execution (and even that is not certain - only something you can stretch to fit plausibility).

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
The concept of eternity, which is essential to thoughts of the divine, is an interesting one, as it transcends the concept of time. For God has created time, as he created space. The world God knows, the Heavenly realm, has neither time nor space, and the best analogy we have in thinking about it would be another dimension. For him, all moments on Earth are viewable simultaneously, like all places, and all minds. And if he places you aside from him, he does it for all time; and yet, if he wishes, he can also retrieve you from that place, for all time.

What does it mean that Jesus reigns for "a thousand years" in Revelation, with his most loyal servants, or that Satan is imprisoned in the abyss for "a thousand years," and yet, the beast and the false prophet are punished in the lake of fire "day and night, forever and ever"? There is something about the concept of eternity that we are not quite grasping.

I think God's judgment is eternal (that is, not bound by time), but changeable; in the way a person can commit a mortal sin, and thus drat himself to Hell forever, and yet he can confess it, and be welcomed back into eternal Paradise.

There is also the question of what God intends to do after bringing this world to a close, after its time has finished executing and the Second Coming ends the universe. Will he create a new world? A new Heavens and a new Earth? We get a bit into questioning the motives of God here, which also interests me; I suspect it is in no small part amusement.

I wouldn't hold any of the above as proper doctrinal thinking, I'm sure it likely contains some errors, but it seems plausible enough at my current level of study.

The Ender posted:

Assuming that this is not a joke post:

How can you possibly know that the resurrection part of the mythology - the part that is necessary to substantiate Jesus's claim about his divinity - happened? Even if you were willing to believe eye witness testimony, we don't have it. Everything we do have is third hand, and was written well after Jesus, whomever he was, had left this world in one way or another. One would expect that this would be rather big news in Rome, from which we have excavated tons (literally tons) of documentation... and there's no mention of it. The best we have is a very dull, very ordinary listing of the supposed execution (and even that is not certain - only something you can stretch to fit plausibility).

God has given me the knowledge that it happened.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

How did God give the knowledge? Did you fall over and hit your head on something one afternoon, and when you got back up suddenly it was all so clear?

quote:

The concept of eternity, which is essential to thoughts of the divine, is an interesting one, as it transcends the concept of time. For God has created time, as he created space. The world God knows, thethat in Heavenly realm, has neither time nor space, and the best analogy we have in thinking about it would be another dimension. For him, all moments on Earth are viewable simultaneously, like all places, and all minds. And if he places you aside from him, he does it for all time; and yet, if he wishes, he can also retrieve you from that place, for all time.

What does it mean that Jesus reigns for "a thousand years" in Revelation, with his most loyal servants, or that Satan is imprisoned in the abyss for "a thousand years," and yet, the beast and the false prophet are punished in the lake of fire "day and night, forever and ever"? There is something about the concept of eternity that we are not quite grasping.

None of this is mentioned in the Torah. Or even the NT. This is all contemporary fantasy, reinterpretation & window dressing sitting on top of a mythology that involved a powerful but nevertheless mortal OT deity (Yahweh) telling his people how to worship, wage war and perform rituals. Yahweh mentions multiple times that he is unable to overcome certain arms, he uses very conventional & violent means to dispatch his enemies and he requires certain rituals be performed to maintain his power.

The NT is much more romantic, plainly influenced by greek literature, but again - Jesus makes no mention of some extraplanar existence or omniscience. The stories involving apparent magic are mostly allegorical, and even if we were to take them literally, the miracles could be reproduced by most stage magicians.

I thought you said you'd read the Bible and understood it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

God has given me the knowledge that it happened.

That's called being insane.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Ender posted:

How did God give the knowledge? Did you fall over and hit your head on something one afternoon, and when you got back up suddenly it was all so clear?

None of this is mentioned in the Torah. Or even the NT. This is all contemporary fantasy, reinterpretation & window dressing sitting on top of a mythology that involved a powerful but nevertheless mortal OT deity (Yahweh) telling his people how to worship, wage war and perform rituals. Yahweh mentions multiple times that he is unable to overcome certain arms, he uses very conventional & violent means to dispatch his enemies and he requires certain rituals be performed to maintain his power.

The NT is much more romantic, plainly influenced by greek literature, but again - Jesus makes no mention of some extraplanar existence or omniscience. The stories involving apparent magic are mostly allegorical, and even if we were to take them literally, the miracles could be reproduced by most stage magicians.

I thought you said you'd read the Bible and understood it?

Yes, I've read it, and it's astoundingly clear and repeated throughout the Bible that the Lord whose name you write in vain, is in fact the one true God, who created the universe, knows all and sees all, and is the giver of all wisdom. But you are not reading it with any intention of understanding its message.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If God can't take me saying "you're a bitch God," then I'm better than him. I'm his God.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

If God can't take me saying "you're a bitch God," then I'm better than him. I'm his God.

I assure you he can endure the insult, but you will not be able to endure the consequences.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

VitalSigns posted:

Money is actually worthless, give it all to the Church, they'll take it off your hands

The only thing that's really disappointed me about Francis is his lack of style compared to Benedict. I prefer my Wizard-King straight pimpin'.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Yes, I've read it, and it's astoundingly clear and repeated throughout the Bible that the Lord whose name you write in vain, is in fact the one true God, who created the universe, knows all and sees all, and is the giver of all wisdom. But you are not reading it with any intention of understanding its message.

quote:

And the LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.

Can you explain why the LORD, fighting with his chosen people, was unable to overcome the guys with the chariots?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

I assure you he can endure the insult, but you will not be able to endure the consequences.

So he'll punish me super hard? And what'll that avail him?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Ender posted:

Can you explain why the LORD, fighting with his chosen people, was unable to overcome the guys with the chariots?

Because it was not His will that the army of Judah defeat the guys with the chariots at that time.

SedanChair posted:

So he'll punish me super hard? And what'll that avail him?

Who knows? Some satisfaction, I suspect.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

An omnipotent being would experience satisfaction? Sounds like a bitch to me

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

SedanChair posted:

An omnipotent being would experience satisfaction? Sounds like a bitch to me

Why not? What would you do if you were omnipotent?

So far as I can tell, the big problem with omnipotence is boredom.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

Because it was not His will that the army of Judah defeat the guys with the chariots at that time.

The passage does not say he did not will it or did not want to, it says he could not, which is significantly different. It's within the context of several passages where Yahweh is leading onward the conquest of different territories & cities - it was very much his will & desire to drive out those people in the valley, but they had chariots, and the cavalry repulsed them. Later on Yahweh had to resort to violent coercion of city inhabitants to show his army weaknesses in the enemy defenses so that they could be exploited. Why does an all powerful super being need spies to find gaps in city fortifications?

...Also, like...

quote:

Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel asked the LORD, saying, Who shall go up for us against the Canaanites first, to fight against them? And the LORD said, Judah shall go up: behold, I have delivered the land into his hand. And Judah said unto Simeon his brother, Come up with me into my lot, that we may fight against the Canaanites; and I likewise will go with thee into thy lot. So Simeon went with him. And Judah went up; and the LORD delivered the Canaanites and the Perizzites into their hand: and they slew of them in Bezek ten thousand men. And they found Adonibezek in Bezek: and they fought against him, and they slew the Canaanites and the Perizzites. But Adonibezek fled; and they pursued after him, and caught him, and cut off his thumbs and his great toes. And Adonibezek said, Threescore and ten kings, having their thumbs and their great toes cut off, gathered their meat under my table: as I have done, so God hath requited me. And they brought him to Jerusalem, and there he died.

Why is Yahweh demanding that his armies start torturing people by cutting off their fingers and toes and poo poo? Why is he telling them to eat said fingers and toes? That's pretty hosed-up. Sounds like the actions of a bronze age warlord rather than the actions of some almighty & supremely wise deity.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I could have compassion, and empathy, for the beings in my creation?

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

God is dead, fool. Get with the times.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kyrie eleison posted:

Why not? What would you do if you were omnipotent?

So far as I can tell, the big problem with omnipotence is boredom.
I was going to stay out of this, but this is too juicy. If I were omnipotent I would will myself whatever makes me happy. I feel bored? Oh, now I don't feel bored anymore. Getting rid of boredom indirectly by capriciously inflicting harm to lesser beings seems not only unnecessary, but inefficient.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Ender posted:

The passage does not say he did not will it or did not want to, it says he could not, which is significantly different. It's within the context of several passages where Yahweh is leading onward the conquest of different territories & cities - it was very much his will & desire to drive out those people in the valley, but they had chariots, and the cavalry repulsed them. Later on Yahweh had to resort to violent coercion of city inhabitants to show his army weaknesses in the enemy defenses so that they could be exploited. Why does an all powerful super being need spies to find gaps in city fortifications?

...Also, like...

Why is Yahweh demanding that his armies start torturing people by cutting off their fingers and toes and poo poo? Why is he telling them to eat said fingers and toes? That's pretty hosed-up. Sounds like the actions of a bronze age warlord rather than the actions of some almighty & supremely wise deity.

God is pretty metal, dude.

Rappaport posted:

I could have compassion, and empathy, for the beings in my creation?

What compassion and empathy do you have for someone who insults you? Especially a being you have created?

Vaall posted:

God is dead, fool. Get with the times.

You mean... the end times?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Someone called me a bitch once. So I set him on fire. Then I used magic to keep him alive so I could set him on fire over and over and relish the stench and the screams.

That's my supreme goodness at work right there.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 26, 2014

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

What compassion and empathy do you have for someone who insults you? Especially a being you have created?

The same I would have for anyone else? That I would not wish upon anyone anything but good things, a full belly and merriment, the fulfillment of their personal goals?

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Someone called me a bitch once. So I set him on fire. Then I I used magic to keep him alive so I could set him on fire over and over and relish the stench and the screams.

Frank Castle really is the greatest superhero.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Someone called me a bitch once. So I set him on fire. Then I used magic to keep him alive so I could set him on fire over and over and relish the stench and the screams.

;___; - why is God burning me it's so unfair all I did was call him a bitch! Geez!

Rappaport posted:

The same I would have for anyone else? That I would not wish upon anyone anything but good things, a full belly and merriment, the fulfillment of their personal goals?

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014
Go gently caress yourself Kyrie.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A being of infinite wisdom and infinite resources would hold petty grudges and resentments, mete out infinite punishments for finite transgressions? This is what you wish to venerate and hold dear? I pity you.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Rappaport posted:

A being of infinite wisdom and infinite resources would hold petty grudges and resentments, mete out infinite punishments for finite transgressions? This is what you wish to venerate and hold dear? I pity you.

Why do you hate yourself?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Why do you hate yourself?

Sie bitte?

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 26, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

So there's a book, which says it's the final authority and source of all knowledge... and the evidence is that the final authority and source of all knowledge says that the book is that! This seems like a syllogism. Is this another miracle?

Also, this focus on the text of the Bible seems decidedly... protestant. Are you sure you haven't slid into heresy? Perhaps your prayers merely anger God. Perhaps he's tricked you, for the joy of hearing your eternal torment screams!!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

;___; - why is God burning me it's so unfair all I did was call him a bitch! Geez!

Yes this is the sane response to... oh wait poo poo you are being sarcastic :stare:

Love how it only takes a little bit to get "loving" Christians to whack their cocks and cum huge loads over the thought of eternal torture for the horrible crime of...insulting someone.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

Yes this is the sane response to... oh wait poo poo you are being sarcastic :stare:

Love how it only takes a little bit to get "loving" Christians to whack their cocks and cum huge loads over the thought of eternal torture for the horrible crime of...insulting someone.
If God is so all-fired superior to us, while still being analogous to us, sending any human to eternal torment - literally eternal - would be like throwing an infant in the meat grinder because it pissed on the rug, because we literally are incapable of knowing any better.

Extending the analogy, this does not mean the old fellow couldn't hold us responsible for our actions to some extent, dole out punishment, etc. and so forth, but eternity is a very large word.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
All this fuss over some old guy who got killed when Sputnik hit him in the head.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

So there's a book, which says it's the final authority and source of all knowledge... and the evidence is that the final authority and source of all knowledge says that the book is that! This seems like a syllogism. Is this another miracle?

The book says that the Creator is the final authority and source of all knowledge, which is obviously true. And since the human authors of this book speak with reverence of him, and with consistency in teaching, they speak using the Spirit, and thus their Word is inerrant.

quote:

Also, this focus on the text of the Bible seems decidedly... protestant. Are you sure you haven't slid into heresy? Perhaps your prayers merely anger God. Perhaps he's tricked you, for the joy of hearing your eternal torment screams!!

As if Protestants know anything of the text! They removed seven whole books from it, that's how much they value the Sacred Scriptures... anyway, of course the Bible and its teachings are central to Catholicism. Catholics compiled the thing!

VitalSigns posted:

Look at this hypocrisy! You who turn away from God, find it insane that He turns away from you? You who mock God, find it insane that He mocks you? You think it isn't fair?

Nessus posted:

If God is so all-fired superior to us, while still being analogous to us, sending any human to eternal torment - literally eternal - would be like throwing an infant in the meat grinder because it pissed on the rug, because we literally are incapable of knowing any better.

Extending the analogy, this does not mean the old fellow couldn't hold us responsible for our actions to some extent, dole out punishment, etc. and so forth, but eternity is a very large word.

I write a post about eternity before, equating it with "timeless" rather than "unchanging". The earliest writing of "unquenching fire" comes from the prophet Isaiah, who describes it in the last verse he ever wrote: "They shall go out and see the corpses of the people who rebelled against me; For their worm shall not die, their fire shall not be extinguished; and they shall be an abhorrence to all flesh."

I am open to the possibility of salvation from Hell, but only through repentance.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kyrie eleison posted:

Look at this hypocrisy! You who turn away from God, find it insane that He turns away from you? You who mock God, find it insane that He mocks you? You think it isn't fair?

I'm not sure where the hypocrisy is? I mean, YHWH's been dead since 1957, and Laika's a good dog, yes she is, so I'm not sure how anyone's not supposed to find the idea that they might still face eternal punishment after death for insulting YHWH's crusty old man peen anything but preposterous.

Gizmoduck_5000
Oct 6, 2013

Your superior intellect is no match for our primitive weapons!

Kyrie eleison posted:

If god is burning someone merely for calling it a "bitch", then god must be very small indeed.

Kyrie eleison posted:

If it can endure the insult, then why are there consequences at all?

Gizmoduck_5000 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 26, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

The book says that the Creator is the final authority and source of all knowledge, which is obviously true. And since the human authors of this book speak with reverence of him, and with consistency in teaching, they speak using the Spirit, and thus their Word is inerrant.
Even if the Creator is obviously real and is the final authority of all knowledge, that doesn't mean any particular random douchebag claiming to speak for Him "with reverence" is automatically right. For an example, see: your opinion on Mohammed.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Well it would be hypocritical of me, having set God on fire forever, to object to Him doing the same to me... oh wait poo poo, I didn't set Him on fire at all, yet Christians are still threatening me with burning for eternally just for disagreeing with them. Well then.

I mean I'm cool with the whole turning away from me thing, that's fine if God doesn't want to hang out. It's the part where you threaten me with eternal suffering that's hosed up and horrible.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

If god is burning someone merely for calling it a "bitch", then god must be very small indeed.

What is your reaction when one of your creation calls you a bitch?

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

If it can endure the insult,then why are there consequences at all?

I said that he can endure it, not that it doesn't sting. All insults have consequences.

VitalSigns posted:

Even if the Creator is obviously real and is the final authority of all knowledge, that doesn't mean any particular random douchebag claiming to speak for Him "with reverence" is automatically right. For an example, see: your opinion on Mohammed.

Mohammad is inconsistent with prior teaching, which I listed as essential criteria.

quote:

Well it would be hypocritical of me, having set God on fire forever, to object to Him doing the same to me... oh wait poo poo, I didn't set Him on fire at all, yet Christians are still threatening me with burning for eternally just for disagreeing with them. Well then.

I mean I'm cool with the whole turning away from me thing, that's fine if God doesn't want to hang out. It's the part where you threaten me with eternal suffering that's hosed up and horrible.

Very well -- by your request, I will tune you out, and let your life play out naturally, come what may. And upon your death, I will not attend your funeral, and you can simply cease existence, and be forgotten. And if you come calling to me for help, I will say, "I never knew you."

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

Of course it isn't. You're proposing a being with power, intellect & morality well beyond that of a human being - a human issuing a petty insult at a deity must be about equivalent as best to a cat clawing your leg. Is it then totally appropriate to beat the cat or light it on fire because, hey, those claws hurt?

You also never really explained how this awesome deity somehow got bested by some guys with light cavalry or why he needed human spies to infiltrate a settlement's defenses. Also, why did he need to rest after claiming to have erected the firmament and pillars and poo poo? Also, why did he claim to erect the firmament and pillars and poo poo when none of those things actually exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

The Ender posted:

Of course it isn't. You're proposing a being with power, intellect & morality well beyond that of a human being - a human issuing a petty insult at a deity must be about equivalent as best to a cat clawing your leg. Is it then totally appropriate to beat the cat or light it on fire because, hey, those claws hurt?

Very well; I will release the cat into the wilderness where it will no longer pester me.

quote:

You also never really explained how this awesome deity somehow got bested by some guys with light cavalry or why he needed human spies to infiltrate a settlement's defenses. Also, why did he need to rest after claiming to have erected the firmament and pillars and poo poo? Also, why did he claim to erect the firmament and pillars and poo poo when none of those things actually exist?

Because your first question is almost identical to the one before, so I hoped you could extrapolate the answer using your brain. And He rested because He wanted to. Seriously -- do you have any critical thinking ability at all?

• Locked thread