Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I beat the Family Man challenge by picking up the battery that reduces charge time, and then Guppy's head. Had a constant swarm of flies at my disposal on cooldown so long as an enemy was still alive. It will also start charging again if you get an enemy fly on the slot machine, which was weird but whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

D4 does this too, which is loving lame.

Well, because of the way the game works, that's pretty much how they have to do it. The reason the D4 (and similar items) eventually runs out of stuff to reroll your items into is because when they are removed from your 'inventory' they don't get put back in the item pool. When you pick up an item it is removed from the item pool and cannot appear again under any circumstances, because having more than one of the same item (not stuff like HP ups but stat altering/multiplying items) can cause some buckwild bug poo poo to happen.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

His laser is really hard to dodge and as the Lost that's an instant game over. I wouldn't remove him from the game or anything, but he is one of the harder generic bosses.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

He's been the hardest fight in the game for me. Not even in a challenging way, just that depending on my damage output he gets a corresponding amount of guaranteed hits with his instant no-tell seeking brimstone. He feels unfinished and bullshit. If I designed a game like this I'd go the Capcom or bullet hell route in that if you get hit it's your fault.

Panniculus Rift posted:

Yeah, if you don't have enough damage to take him out very quickly, the adversary is pretty much guaranteed to hurt you. His homing brimstone attack is one of the few boss attacks that I have found no good way of predicting/dodging. If you keep circling around, you can avoid some of those shots, but it's pretty much the fuckiest boss in the game imo.

When he squishes his body up he's doing an attack, move 90 degrees from where you are (eg. if you're on his left, go above or below him). It's not always brimstone, but you won't get hit when it is.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

He's been the hardest fight in the game for me. Not even in a challenging way, just that depending on my damage output he gets a corresponding amount of guaranteed hits with his instant no-tell seeking brimstone. He feels unfinished and bullshit. If I designed a game like this I'd go the Capcom or bullet hell route in that if you get hit it's your fault.
Adversary is the most BS and unfinished? You clearly haven't fought Mama Gurdy when you aren't decked out enough to kill her in the first 5-10 seconds. RNG spike floor is BS.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Power of Pecota posted:

So, if you cycle through all the items in the game in an infinite reroll setup, do you get repeats at some point or will the game just crash? I'm probably going to find out, but if the answer's that the game crashes I'd rather not waste my time.
The old game could get hosed up if you exhausted the item pools. In this one, once you have seen all the items, every item that spawns will be breakfast.

You can see this happening in this insane vid from Richard Hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ulHEdPqHk

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I've seen multiple dead cats in a single run, and multiple yum hearts. I'm not sure about the yum hearts, but I can guarantee I've picked up 2 dead cats because I had 18 lives+ guppy's collar at one point.

Sadly, the second dead cat did not fulfill my 'third guppy item' requirement, but it also means dead cat isn't necessarily removed from the item pool on pick up.

Edit; also really thinking about save scumming The Lost with the esc+alt+F4 method. Anyone know how that method interacts with dead cat?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 26, 2014

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

:toot:

Poizen Jam posted:

Sadly, the second dead cat did not fulfill my 'third guppy item' requirement, but it also means dead cat isn't necessarily removed from the item pool on pick up.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal is but I know Dead Cat doesn't get rerolled with the D4, either.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

IMJack posted:

Would a collectible that let you carry an extra usable item between floors be too OP? Say, a toy box or something that you can always find in the starting room. Touching it while you have a usable item and it's empty will deposit your item.

Dumb expansion idea now that Ed is soliciting dumb expansion ideas.

Maybe a section of the shop room could have a locker that you could pay to access, and then be able to deposit a usable item in it, and retrieve that item from a shop locker on a different floor, maybe by using a key?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I'd love to see an item that was like a stepladder or something, that would take you back to the previous floor. Kinda like the shovel, but in reverse.

e:previous floor, not precious.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 26, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Panniculus Rift posted:

I'd love to see an item that was like a stepladder or something, that would take you back to the precious floor. Kinda like the shovel, but in reverse.

If used on the first floor it takes you back up to your room and then Mom kills you. :v:

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Waffleopolis posted:

Currently in a Lost run, and I am in a lucky position with both Epic Fetus and a Dead Cat. I am in a tresure room with Monstro's Lung in it. I am terrified yet coruious on what it'll do. Can someone tell me what it does so I can decide if I should take it or leave it? :ohdear:

Edit: Okay, bit the bullet and took it. Epic Fetus overrides it. Still in good shape.

Sounds like my Lost run last night. Had Dead Cat + Guppy's Collar + 3rd Guppy item + Epic Fetus. Pretty much a guaranteed win, or so you'd think. Too bad Epic Fetus takes so long to attack, so I lost my last life in a room with several small spiders. I had a Chaos Card saved up for the Lamb too. I swear, after I unlock God Head I'm never touching The Lost again.

Crosspeice posted:

Geez, if I wanna get Dead Boy, I'm facing the Lamb. No matter how many times I face ???, he just teleports right on me even though I'm moving so fast.

I had a problem with this as well, so I tried standing still whenever he teleported and I didn't get hit once. It was only one fight and ~5 teleports though so I can't say it works for certain. Can someone verify this?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Wugga posted:

Sounds like my Lost run last night. Had Dead Cat + Guppy's Collar + 3rd Guppy item + Epic Fetus. Pretty much a guaranteed win, or so you'd think. Too bad Epic Fetus takes so long to attack, so I lost my last life in a room with several small spiders. I had a Chaos Card saved up for the Lamb too. I swear, after I unlock God Head I'm never touching The Lost again.

I had a problem with this as well, so I tried standing still whenever he teleported and I didn't get hit once. It was only one fight and ~5 teleports though so I can't say it works for certain. Can someone verify this?

I can't properly verify this but I have provided the same advice in this thread and have a larger sample size of probably about 50+ teleports dodged so long as I stop moving, the only times it didn't work being due to human error on my part (forgot to stop moving).

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

With Epic Fetus + Wafer + Sharp Plug + a 1up I had literally 2 items left in the pool before rolling Pyromaniac (Celtic Cross, Soy Milk, 2 other things I was like "HOLY poo poo I GOT IT THANK gently caress" and didn't register). I had the Monster Manual stashed in the secret room to grab after maxing out rerolls + had a D100 stashed in another room, rerolling to get a full Breakfast build :coffeepal:

Now just one A Bandage drop from Plat god~

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Okay maybe I wasn't - after picking up a Super Bandage I have all items in the "Stuff I Found" besides Godhead, all achievements besides Godhead/Platinum God/The Real Platinum God, and all endings including the Mega Satan one. Why isn't Platinum God unlocking?

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Got to Satan last night for the first time and beat him. It was really lucky run. I had loads of red hearts and then picked up Guppy's Paw, so I had a crazy amount of health on tap.

I guess I should start doing runs with characters other than Isaac now?

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
You know what's awesome about the bean challenge? Getting 3 bomb power ups and rocking it down to the Depths with no problem.

And then eating a bombs are key pill.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Had an awesome run with Judas. Tons of damage, guppy and the holy mantle. Didn't take any damage from the womb on and finally got the dead boy achievement. Feels good to get that one taken care of.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Decided to break my The Lost losing streak by doing a casual run as azazel. That's when the game gives me holy mantle and 1UP on the first floor. :smith:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Leyburn posted:

Got to Satan last night for the first time and beat him. It was really lucky run. I had loads of red hearts and then picked up Guppy's Paw, so I had a crazy amount of health on tap.

I guess I should start doing runs with characters other than Isaac now?

You should definitely do some runs with ??? before you go back to Isaac. One of his unlocks gives Isaac a new starting item that makes him into one of the best characters in the game.

You should also do some runs with characters other than ???, since they're generally easier to play with than base Isaac and not horribly controller-throwingly frustrating like ???.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

D100 just gave me monstro's lung + ipecac + my reflection :stonk:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
If you have midas touch and turdy touch it makes gold poop piles when you touch an enemy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If you have midas touch and turdy touch it makes gold poop piles when you touch an enemy.

:allears:

This is the greatest synergy in the game.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

omeg posted:

So I start as Eden. Sacrificial Dagger and the Book of Shadows. Interesting. Hey, is that Tiny Planet? Hell, let's go with it. Then... Chocolate Milk. That was not bad, even good -- contrary to what I expected, it allowed me to rapid fire at a much quicker rate provided I was willing to tap the button. Then I got Coal from Krampus: it was even great, shots stayed in the air for a long time and got substantial damage boost.

And then... Then I saw Mom's Knife at a Devil deal. I couldn't resist to see what happens. :negative:

Perhaps you could explain what happens?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Power of Pecota posted:

Okay maybe I wasn't - after picking up a Super Bandage I have all items in the "Stuff I Found" besides Godhead, all achievements besides Godhead/Platinum God/The Real Platinum God, and all endings including the Mega Satan one. Why isn't Platinum God unlocking?

Update your game :)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

dis astranagant posted:

D100 just gave me monstro's lung + ipecac + my reflection :stonk:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

TheModernAmerican posted:

Perhaps you could explain what happens?

If it's anything like when I got cursed eye planet knives from a Dice room earlier, the knives spiral out around you to (at best) a full 360 degrees and then retract, making it an exercise in frustration to intentionally hit anything at a range.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Blank card + Algiz (resistance) rune is sooo good! I don't know excactly how long the invincibility from algiz lasts, but it seems to be something like 30 seconds, which should be enough to murder most bosses, even on a mediocre run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is the chance that a passage rune gives you a ladder per level or per rune?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Nastyman posted:

If it's anything like when I got cursed eye planet knives from a Dice room earlier, the knives spiral out around you to (at best) a full 360 degrees and then retract, making it an exercise in frustration to intentionally hit anything at a range.

Yup. It was pretty much impossible to hit stuff unless you melee with the knife.

Exhibit A: how to ruin a good Tiny Planet run:

omeg fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I think my favorite item vs its version in old Isaac is Chocolate Milk. It was an objectively good item in the old one but I still HATED using it. In this one it just feels a lot better. I can charge up a shot and instantly pepper in some really fast tears right following it. It's a lot of fun.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

Update your game :)

The game synced after I quit and I rebooted it, still nothing. 342 items, 16 endings, all secrets but 69, 84, and 156. hrm. hrmery.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Kawalimus posted:

I think my favorite item vs its version in old Isaac is Chocolate Milk. It was an objectively good item in the old one but I still HATED using it. In this one it just feels a lot better. I can charge up a shot and instantly pepper in some really fast tears right following it. It's a lot of fun.

I agree 100 %. The new chocolate milk feels really nice to use, and it synergizes so well with everything. I wish it would show up as often as it did in WotL, because I seemed to get it every run. In general, there are fewer items that are completely worthless in this game. Some are only good in certain situations, and there are a lot of mediocre spacebar items, but unlike in WotL there are hardly any items (execpt the cursed pearl or whatever it's called) that I'm guaranteed to never pick up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

His laser is really hard to dodge and as the Lost that's an instant game over. I wouldn't remove him from the game or anything, but he is one of the harder generic bosses.

It's really easy to avoid, you just need to circle around to the opposite side he's firing from and it'll never hit you. Now double Adversaries on the other hand...

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:
Is there any news about a patch coming out for the PS4 version? Not getting trophies is annoying, but even more annoying are secrets that aren't showing up (like Dead Boy). I really want my save file to have a buff-as-poo poo Isaac.

Would be neat if in the future they could let you choose which save file picture you want (minus the polaroid/negative ones).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Panniculus Rift posted:

The old game could get hosed up if you exhausted the item pools. In this one, once you have seen all the items, every item that spawns will be breakfast.

You can see this happening in this insane vid from Richard Hammer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ulHEdPqHk

how is he damaging himself once and fully charging the d6 in the shop?

edit oh wait he says it now, i never would have learned that

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

AnonSpore posted:

If used on the first floor it takes you back up to your room and then Mom kills you. :v:

That'd be a fun little easter egg. Just a reskinned version of the Mom bossfight to look like its in Isaac's room, and an "uh woops I think she's really dead" ending.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I got the poop hat but red flies spat out by Mulligans remained hostile. Is this normal?

Also Beans! done. Early Humbling Bundle + Sacrificial Dagger, then lucked the Krampus Head. It's really strange that the head is only 3 charges for arguably one of the absolute top-tier use items. That's all challenges! :toot:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

omeg posted:

I got the poop hat but red flies spat out by Mulligans remained hostile. Is this normal?

Also Beans! done. Early Humbling Bundle + Sacrificial Dagger, then lucked the Krampus Head. It's really strange that the head is only 3 charges for arguably one of the absolute top-tier use items. That's all challenges! :toot:

Yes. You need Skatole not The Poop to make flies friendly.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I love Edmund's obsession with Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Jibo posted:

Yes. You need Skatole not The Poop to make flies friendly.

Yeah I mean Skatole, the one you get from the skull game.