Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I work at a university in Chengdu and we'll probably have a few spots that need filling next year, it's a bit early for recruiting for August at the moment but if you pm your details I can pass them on to my boss for you.

PM sent, thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

bringmyfishback posted:

We're both okay with one of teaching uni or whatever while the other one returns to following you around like a lost puppy. Restaurants are no fun for us anymore.

That is a fixable issue, there is awesome stuff here.

The problem is if one of you is at like Sichuan University and the other working here, there's basically nowhere you can live because those are minimum 90 minutes apart and buses stop at like 8 PM out here (though I saw one still running at 10 PM last week? It was weird). But there are a lot of universities and several are out here in the same suburb so that would be ideal.

Though you could get a car if you're super interested in dying. There's also an possibility one of the subway lines is opening next June and would make this area somewhat more convenient. Right now the nearest subway station is a 40 minute trip on a good day.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Chengdu sounds horrible lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Chengdu is awesome. The suburbs are horrible.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Suburbs are pretty horrible.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

Suburbs are pretty horrible.

Don't sign your posts!

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
chengdu also has facepalmranger

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

systran posted:

chengdu also has facepalmranger

Or does it!??!? How can anyone be sure???

goldboilermark posted:

Chengdu sounds horrible lol

We had blue skies for most of the last week. What's it like in Tianjin :coal:

Grand Fromage posted:

That is a fixable issue, there is awesome stuff here.

The problem is if one of you is at like Sichuan University and the other working here, there's basically nowhere you can live because those are minimum 90 minutes apart and buses stop at like 8 PM out here (though I saw one still running at 10 PM last week? It was weird). But there are a lot of universities and several are out here in the same suburb so that would be ideal.

Though you could get a car if you're super interested in dying. There's also an possibility one of the subway lines is opening next June and would make this area somewhat more convenient. Right now the nearest subway station is a 40 minute trip on a good day.

Alternatively you can get an ebike which would make it not a very long trip.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 25, 2014

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought about it but after seeing my third bike corpse I decided not to. At least with a car there's some protection.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I've still seen 0 bike deaths in 5+ years here, and bike nearly every day, so ymmv!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A 10? km bike trip on a normal road being used as a highway through a nonstop construction zone might be worse than where you are. That's the connection from here to the third ring road.

The deaths I've actually seen occur were all cement/dump trucks going through red lights at full speed.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Grand Fromage posted:

The deaths I've actually seen occur were all cement/dump trucks going through red lights at full speed.
In Canada, we would call slowing down but not stopping for a stop sign an "American Stop". In China, I learned that a "Chinese Stop" is leaning on your horn and taking the rightmost lane through a red light. Or turning on your turn signal but continuing on through the intersection.

In China, I learned to love wearing a seatbelt, even if it made people angry. A seatbelt is like a hug from an old friend.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

In Canada, we would call slowing down but not stopping for a stop sign an "American Stop". In China, I learned that a "Chinese Stop" is leaning on your horn and taking the rightmost lane through a red light. Or turning on your turn signal but continuing on through the intersection.

In China, I learned to love wearing a seatbelt, even if it made people angry. A seatbelt is like a hug from an old friend.

Coming soon to Chinese automobiles?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

From observation, I am sure the law here is that a red light means either A: stop or B: lean on your horn while driving straight through at full speed, and the choice is left up to the driver.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Another plus- Chengdu gets lots of earthquakes now apparently!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's all your fault.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

the law here

Lol

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
True story: The law actually gives turning or merging traffic the right away vs through traffic like in the US. That's why so many people turn right without looking, because if you hit them, it's your fault.

Also, In the USA when you study to get your driver's license, they give you a nice little 'Rules of the Road' book. In China, they give you 900 multiple choice questions to study of which 100 are randomly selected for your exam.

For example:
When approaching oncoming traffic at night with high beam headlights you should
Flash the high beam headlights
Honk the horn to warn them accordingly
Use hazard lights to increase visibility
None of the above

Obviously, we all know you should turn off your high beam lights, but because the answer is None of the above and the test fails to ever explain what you SHOULD do, we get billions of lovely drivers out of this country.

Aero737 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 26, 2014

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Hokay, so, I'm finally legal, in that I've gotten my residency permit. Now I'm beginning the delicate process of getting my dodgy company to give me back the various bits of paperwork used to get it.

A question, then: what bits of paper are there? I know that I want my Foreign Experts' Certificate back, and my criminal background check certificate. I don't give two shits about my healthcheck papers, as they're only good for 6 months anyway. I've already got a copy of my contract, for all the legal good that a copy does in China (i.e: none). Are there other documents that I need to request? A counterpart to the residency page in my passport, for example? Are there are bits of paper that the company has legitimate (from my perspective) reasons to want to hold onto?

I'm aware that it won't be as simple as 'requesting', but I want to make sure that I ask for everything I want from the very start, and that I don't ask for anything impossible / non-existent. So... suggestions?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Atopian posted:

Hokay, so, I'm finally legal, in that I've gotten my residency permit. Now I'm beginning the delicate process of getting my dodgy company to give me back the various bits of paperwork used to get it.

A question, then: what bits of paper are there? I know that I want my Foreign Experts' Certificate back, and my criminal background check certificate. I don't give two shits about my healthcheck papers, as they're only good for 6 months anyway. I've already got a copy of my contract, for all the legal good that a copy does in China (i.e: none). Are there other documents that I need to request? A counterpart to the residency page in my passport, for example? Are there are bits of paper that the company has legitimate (from my perspective) reasons to want to hold onto?

I'm aware that it won't be as simple as 'requesting', but I want to make sure that I ask for everything I want from the very start, and that I don't ask for anything impossible / non-existent. So... suggestions?

Insist on having a (by your school or workplace) stamped copy of the contract -this gives you legal footing should there be trouble with the visas (for what good its worth), and that said contract is in Chinese. This ensures you can't get hosed in secret. Your residency permit should be in your passport, which should be in your possession at all times.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

OK, sounds good. But, as far as you know, there aren't other 'versions' or things-to-do-with-the-residency-permit that aren't in the passport?

I'm not suggesting there are, I just figured I'd check before making my 'request' list. Should be interesting to see how much trouble I have.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Isn't the FEC technically owned by your company or something? I thought if you changed jobs you had to get a new one. I have a work permit instead of that now so I dunno!

e: wait you need both I'm dumb and stupid. I forget which is tied to your company.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 26, 2014

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
You need a demission/exit letter from former company stamped that says you no longer work for them and your last working day was -----.

Some companies will allow you to transfer ownership of work permit to new employer (requires that exit letter), some companies cancel your permit and new company applies for new one and exit letter still might be needed. Guestbob please come back and clarify these.

The exit letter is also great evidence if your new employer uses a background check agency

Edit: I'm sorta transitioning right now and hr was shocked that my current employer lets me hold onto my own permit, so maybe that's uncommon. I think a lot of teaching places keep your permit to try and prevent runners.

LentThem fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 27, 2014

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Foreign Experts Certificate is usually for teachers or some other type of skilled job. When I was teaching before I had one, and it is tied to your company. I've never had a company give me my FEC because *reasons*. You should always try and get your FEC because you're technically supposed to keep it with you when you're working.

Alien Employment Permit is usually for people who are here working as a professional. I have one of these now. This is also tied to your company and if you change jobs, you need to be issued a new one. You should also keep it with you at all times. If you're not teaching, your job will probably give this to you because they are not afraid of you running away in the night.

If someone tries to hassle you about giving you your permit or certificate, show them this image.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Aero737 posted:

Foreign Experts Certificate is usually for teachers or some other type of skilled job. When I was teaching before I had one, and it is tied to your company. I've never had a company give me my FEC because *reasons*. You should always try and get your FEC because you're technically supposed to keep it with you when you're working.

Alien Employment Permit is usually for people who are here working as a professional. I have one of these now. This is also tied to your company and if you change jobs, you need to be issued a new one. You should also keep it with you at all times. If you're not teaching, your job will probably give this to you because they are not afraid of you running away in the night.

If someone tries to hassle you about giving you your permit or certificate, show them this image.

My company won't give these to us even though I've showed them this page, because the police randomly stop by the office a few times per year and ask HR to show them every employed foreigner's work permit or we get fined. It doesn't matter if we aren't even in the office that day, they need to see the work permit right now.

I usually just find a way to trick one of the lowly HR people into giving me mine because I've actually been asked by the police to show it to them at midnight before.

It's literally an impossible scenario.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aero737 posted:

With the FEC, I was explained that the company may as well keep it because you need it while you're working, so having it at the company makes sense. The company I work for does all the registering for us and they need the FEC to do that. The police came to my apartment one time and I didn't even have my passport with me, I was getting a new RP put it in, and I called my boss and my boss talked to them and then they left.

Our boss also used to say they were afraid we will lose it, which seems a bit ridiculous to me, but then again in 2009 our supervisor used to

1) make us unplug everything in our apartment when we left for work in the morning and unplug everything at night time before we went to bed because china is "dangerous"
2) send a shifu to our apartment once a week to unplug everything if we hadn't and make sure we weren't "dirty"
3) whenever we buy train tickets, tell us "please remember, do not lose it" (they still do this for me and I've been here five years lol)
4) asking us "do you have your apartment key today?" and then when we said yes saying "ok great"

so they really don't seem all that impressed with our ability to not lose things I guess?

edit: fart simpson good postin'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I could never get my FEC either and the HR person for one of my jobs was incompetent to the point where the local police ripped into her for being an idiot during yearly registration. I was never comfortable with entrusting my future to her because she looked terrified and confused at doing anything other than peruse Taobao. I imagine like all things it doesn't really matter unless someone wants to be super nit picky to make an example out of someone and even then a phone call to your boss will fix it.

The rule of thumb is that you will generally be treated like a highly functioning autistic person or completely ignored. Usually this is because the person in charge of your life at your school is either under a lot of pressure to make sure everything goes well or is under no pressure whatsoever because their relative is someone important. If it's the former, just smile and nod, because it's nothing personal. If it's the latter, hope they're competent and can remember dates or you might end up being their keeper, which happened a lot at my school.

The culture of control also doesn't just apply to foreigners as well, Chinese workers get treated this way a good deal of the time. A big part of it is the boss culture and the old work unit dynamic that went on in China for 30+ years. I've been told it's not uncommon to have to tell your boss if you get pregnant and they can strongly suggest that you get an abortion because it would interfere with your work and you could possibly lose your job.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

New mothers get like 6 months of maternity leave here or something, but only for their first child. They get exactly 0 maternity leave for any additional children.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

fart simpson posted:

New mothers get like 6 months of maternity leave here or something, but only for their first child. They get exactly 0 maternity leave for any additional children.

That'll keep you down to one kid if nothing else will, I guess. :rimshot:

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Happy Fire Chicken Day, Chinagoons!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Hmm, thanks for the info about the various certificates and permits. Food for thought, specifically the reasons why the company might actually want to hang on to them. At present I've got an acceptable relationship with my company (which, I'm told, is unusual), so I want to preserve that if possible.

I guess I'll shoot for getting the FEC, since that becomes progressively more valuable the older it is, but I'll not pester too hard about the residency / employment permit booklet things, since they're not relevant after I leave this employer anyway.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Which city are you in again? get wechat if you can as well

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Kunshan, near Shanghai - and, I'm WeChatted and QQed up. My WeChat searchable username is the same as my forum ID, so anyone feel free to drop me a message. :-)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Atopian, I'm not sure you should want your FEC. You will literally have to bring it to work with you everyday. If your company wants to hang on to it, I don't see what the big deal is. They are the ones that will be massively fined if you don't have it and the police swing by, and they may just transfer that fine to you.

I guess it depends how much you trust your company. Either way, good luck!

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Hey goons. I'm applying for a student visa in New Zealand, and my program requires a criminal background check in every country that I've lived in. I lived in Wuhan for three years, and now I'm back in the US. I'm thinking about using this company for the service, and I'd appreciate any input you could give.

http://www.visainchina.com/nocriminal.htm

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My company has kept my FEC for three years and it's never been an issue. I've asked about it a couple of times and got the pretty reasonable response that I never need it for anything but they need it to do paperwork. I've only needed it once. When I moved I needed it to register with the PSB so I told them and the head of HR brought it over next time she was at our site.

Fart simpson is right that the regulations require it to be in two places at once. You will discover that a lot of laws and regulations are like this in china. These kinds of laws exist to give authorities the legal space to do whatever they want.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

goldboilermark posted:

Atopian, I'm not sure you should want your FEC. You will literally have to bring it to work with you everyday. If your company wants to hang on to it, I don't see what the big deal is. They are the ones that will be massively fined if you don't have it and the police swing by, and they may just transfer that fine to you.

I guess it depends how much you trust your company. Either way, good luck!

Also your FEC is tied to your company - if you change jobs, you have to get a new FEC. The main reason people don't usually have theirs is because there's literally no use for it. I suppose it might help you get onto trains or into hotels if you lose your passport, but I've lived here six years and have never needed it for any reason other than my annual residence permit being renewed. It has to be returned when you leave your job, or your employers will be fined. When you get a new job, they will issue you a new one.

All the information your new job would need is the number, too. They do not need the physical FEC for any reason. If they say they do, whoever you are talking to doesn't know wtf they are doing (common).

I've heard about laowai arguing with their companies about keeping the FEC - yes technically it is yours but it is literally of no value to you, as it has no real use.

Also the FEC does not become "progressively more valuable the older it is" - if anything, it's the opposite. In Henan they won't renew FEC's more than five years old. You either have to leave the country for a period of time, change jobs, or move to another province. In which case a new FEC would be issued and you start over again. I don't know where you got this idea into your head, but it's a dumb idea.

I mean, in general, arguing with your company over meaningless details is a terrible China strategy. It does not lead to happiness and flowers. They way you succeed in China is to be really bendy over everything other than payment. You get paid on time. The correct amount. In every other aspect of life you will have to learn to be agreeable, or else you'll be miserable.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 28, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not that it concerns me, but it there any value in holding onto a photocopy and getting the company to chop it to say they have the original?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
News flash: New people new to China are silly. It's asking questions like this which makes staff want to patronize you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bad day posted:

in general, arguing with your company over meaningless details is a terrible China strategy. It does not lead to happiness and flowers. They way you succeed in China is to be really bendy over everything other than payment. You get paid on time. The correct amount. In every other aspect of life you will have to learn to be agreeable, or else you'll be miserable.

This is the best advice.