Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RottenK posted:

Raava is suicidal?

Yes.

And I want to see the world tremor and shake once she is eliminated for good. Like when the moon went blood red after the Yin moon spirit was killed but a million times higher on the :asoiaf: scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

The Sharmat posted:

Stupid crackpot theory that is thematically inappropriate and impossible to develop in the remaining episodes: Raava is tired of the Avatar cycle and wants Korra to lose while in the Avatar state so she can get the gently caress out.
It is stupid because Raava had a chance to do that at the end of Season 2 but chose to re-bond to Korra.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

RottenK posted:

Raava is suicidal?

Can Raava actually die? I'd think she'd just be an unbound spirit again rather than dead.

Baron Bifford posted:

It is stupid because Raava had a chance to do that at the end of Season 2 but chose to re-bond to Korra.

Yeah probably. I guess she could have changed her mind since then.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As a Paradox games player, I can sympathize with Kuvira's fiercely avowed desire for pretty borders and painting the map her color.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really don't think there's any more just cassus belli than that.

She just declared the Earth Empire way too soon and is in danger of going over her infamy limit.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

DrSunshine posted:

As a Paradox games player, I can sympathize with Kuvira's fiercely avowed desire for pretty borders and painting the map her color.

Revanchism is a legit casus belli :colbert: She must re-take her clay earth :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Azipod posted:

Revanchism is a legit casus belli :colbert: She must re-take her clay earth :v:

Remove fireflake. :tito:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Kuvira has the wisdom of the falcon and she will lead her Earthbenders.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

RottenK posted:

Raava is suicidal?

It probably kinda sucks to be Raava. It's like having a conjoined twin, only compared to you your twin is a total dumbass but they have way more control over your body than you and also you can't talk.

After season 2 I was hoping we would have Korra talking to Raava like Wan did. I mean, I liked the original conception of the Avatar from the first series more, but if they're gonna change it up they might as well take advantage of it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Avatar didn't really have any backstory in the first series. They were just the Avatar because.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

The Sharmat posted:

The Avatar didn't really have any backstory in the first series. They were just the Avatar because.

Yeah, that's what I liked more.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Fair enough. I just read "original conception of the Avatar" differently from how you intended it I guess.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DrSunshine posted:

As a Civilization player, I can certainly sympathize with her invading everyone in sight with superior weaponry and then start nuking poo poo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kuvira is actually Civ Ghandi, The Great Uniter indeed.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Probably Magic posted:

As a Civilization player, I can certainly sympathize with her invading everyone in sight with superior weaponry and then start nuking poo poo.

And the massive stack she brought to bear on the city-state.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Is Kuvira going to build a spirit nuke? We've seen Varrick's weapon blow a crate in a railway line, which isn't quite mass destruction.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess that's really notable in the world where for some reason they don't have any firearms or explosives.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Is Kuvira going to build a spirit nuke? We've seen Varrick's weapon blow a crate in a railway line, which isn't quite mass destruction.

Varrick's version was a prototype, and it was using a weaker spirit vine. The spirit energies at Toph's swamp are much stronger apparently so we can expect a WMD from Kuvira.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Which city can we expect nuked? Surely not Republic City.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All of them. Korra has actually a stealth setup for the next Fallout game all this time.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

But there's no fallout from spirit nukes.... unless you count fairies

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jackard posted:

But there's no fallout from spirit nukes.... unless you count fairies

I do.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I don't think that any major population centers will actually get spirit-nuked. We will see Kuvira run tests of the bomb's strength to establish it as a threat, maybe wipe out somewhere relatively depopulated, and it'll be defused before she detonates it in Republic City.

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Jackard posted:

Which city can we expect nuked? Surely not Republic City.

Just Avatar Island, so they can build the UN HQ there in the prologue.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Varrick will fly it out over the bay on a spirit bison, allowing it to detonate mostly harmlessly

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Jackard posted:

Varrick will fly it out over the bay on a spirit bison

pepper nooooooooooooo

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Zaheer steals the spirit nuke and uses it to blow up Kuvira

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jackard posted:

Zaheer steals the spirit nuke and uses it to blow up Kuvira
Kinda hoping for this though I know it won't happen

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The last warlord must be destroyed, down with the Empire!! Break Zaheer out of magic kungfu prison.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
korra will out-debate kuvira into standing down and a more enlightened wu will rule benevolently. heh.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm honestly kinda worried they'll kill off Korra in the last episode, and I don't know why.

Jackard posted:

Varrick will fly it out over the bay on a spirit bison, allowing it to detonate mostly harmlessly

Truly, he did the thing that day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

I'm honestly kinda worried they'll kill off Korra in the last episode, and I don't know why.

They won't. The last episode is titled Avatar Korra and it's almost certainly going to be "Korra comes into her full Avatar shitwreckery for the first time."

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh. Well, maybe in the darker reboot with an Earth Kingdom avatar (10+ years from now when network interest has returned).

I just hope Avatar Korra features a more satisfying conclusion than the Aang vs. Ozai fight. Yes yes blah blah "thematically appropriate", "they were never going to let a 12 year old actually kill a guy", etc. Still thought it was a cop out.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Jackard posted:

More like Varrick will ride the spirit nuke as it drops out of a airship all Dr. Strangelove.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
As long as the only city that's nuked is Ba Sing Se. What a worthless shithole.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Sharmat posted:

Too Bad Grandma Mako doesn't live there anymore.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

The Sharmat posted:

Oh. Well, maybe in the darker reboot with an Earth Kingdom avatar (10+ years from now when network interest has returned).

I just hope Avatar Korra features a more satisfying conclusion than the Aang vs. Ozai fight. Yes yes blah blah "thematically appropriate", "they were never going to let a 12 year old actually kill a guy", etc. Still thought it was a cop out.

I hate to say it, but the thematic appropriateness of this series is that Korra dies, thus giving the power completely to the people. It's also already foreshadowed by Wan. And thus Democracy is completely established, with no Arbiter beyond the public themselves.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If the best thing Korra does in the series is die, then we're never ever going to live down the "Korra is the worst Avatar ever" thing from the considerable part of the fanbase with a rabid hatred for the character.

Although I guess that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

Only if there's a shot of Toph over the rubble, saying, "Worst city ever!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They are not going to end the series by killing Korra. Even if the end of the series was "Korra is the last Avatar" they already set up a way that can happen without Korra dying.

• Locked thread