Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They need their power weapon claws back imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

I genuinely don't understand why there are such limited runs of the new end times kits and these campaign boxes? People are ejaculating money over these things, if GW were any sort of a normal business you wouldn't ever see people weeping about how they didn't get a box.

Cause they can make sure they clear inventory on these things and there'll be repeat business from collectors.

They don't have boxes of stock taking up warehouse space. And they know that there are people that bought stormclaw who will also by the next one and the next one simply because they want to get their hands on the limited edition models; either for their own collections or speculative resale value.

I reckon they noticed on the release of previous supplements that there was an initial massive buy but that sales tapered off dramatically after that. So it seems, for supplements, a sound strategy to do a small run, guarantee they'll move all the stock and not have copies taking up shelf space or warehouse space.

The end result is that they'll release more supplements over the course of a year and their bottom line will wind up being higher than if they overcapitalise on production and storage. Problems they probably had with Crusade of Fire and the 5th ed supplements/expansions.

Cataphract fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 26, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

AbusePuppy posted:

It seems unlikely that the gaping and fundamental problems that have plagued Genestealers for three editions running now are going to get fixed by some minor errata buried inside a new book.

Honestly, I'd be happy with a formation that just gives them Stealth. Between Venomthropes, Malanthropes and pods you can do some nasty stuff with reliable 2+ cover.

In other news, you don't know suffering until you have tried to assemble three Tyrannocytes with superglue. Those god drat funnels...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ My suggestion is when they infiltrate or outflank they have stealth/shrouded for the turn they are unable to charge.
So far I am at 1 tyrannocyte, 1 sporocyst. Just picked up a third box for a second tyrannocyte. Not as bad as droppods, but close.

serious gaylord posted:

They need their power weapon claws back imo.

I would rather have the rending.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I haven't even started assembling my first tyrannocite yet because it's taking so drat long just to take it off the spru. There's a million little pieces in that kit. Why do all those vents have to be two pieces?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

Cause they can make sure they clear inventory on these things and there'll be repeat business from collectors.

They don't have boxes of stock taking up warehouse space. And they know that there are people that bought stormclaw who will also by the next one and the next one simply because they want to get their hands on the limited edition models; either for their own collections or speculative resale value.

I reckon they noticed on the release of previous supplements that there was an initial massive buy but that sales tapered off dramatically after that. So it seems, for supplements, a sound strategy to do a small run, guarantee they'll move all the stock and not have copies taking up shelf space or warehouse space.

The end result is that they'll release more supplements over the course of a year and their bottom line will wind up being higher than if they overcapitalise on production and storage. Problems they probably had with Crusade of Fire and the 5th ed supplements/expansions.

I hadn't really thought it through - but this makes a ton of sense.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

I wouldn't say 3 editions, since Genestealers were amazing in 5th. A points drop, along with gaining Infiltrate without having to pay points for Scuttlers meant that if the enemy saw you with so much as a single brood, they'd stay the hell away from the sides of the table. It was great for encouraging them to bunch up for blasts.

They actually were pretty mediocre in 5th, even during the era of the 4E codex. Keep in mind that brood of 'Stealers was almost 20pts a model for exactly the same thing they are now (swapping Infiltrate for Scout)- not exactly an exciting deal for T4/5+. And 5th edition was the edition of metal boxes, so you were hitting things on 6s and hoping for another 6 to punch through their armor and then another 5/6 destroy them. And that's even assuming they came in where they wanted to and that the enemy hadn't just walled off the relevant portions of the board edge with units.

Genestealers were not amazing in 5E. They weren't even decent.

Cataphract posted:

very smart words

Yeah, exactly this. They know they've got a good strategy on their hands and they're sticking to it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Leo Showers posted:

So in non boob-related news, this is a thing in which I will do between semesters.

*awesome poo poo*

Ooooo. I'm envious. Here's a strange question about that kit that you may not have an answer for (yet): How tall is a Marauder model? Like, from the tabletop to the top of the rudder, if it's on its landing gear?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ghost Hand posted:

I hadn't really thought it through - but this makes a ton of sense.

If you presume that they're not complete economic retards you can probably rationalise an explanation for their seemingly bizarre trade practices and release strategies.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Cataphract posted:

If you presume that they're not complete economic retards you can probably rationalise an explanation for their seemingly bizarre trade practices and release strategies.

Well, some of them, anyways. I still think that their previews (or more accurately their lack of them) and internet strategies are pretty boneheaded.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Search 'Marketing' through their linkedin. Your results will not surprise you.

This is the same company that does not externally focus test and "does not do market research"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
"Rationalise" is a very appropriate verb, though probably not for the reasons Cataphract had in mind.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's possibly a flawed presumption.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Have a real blast from the past

I'm not sure if I should have placed this in the "unspiration" thread.
It is a 20 year old painted parts and unpainted parts.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cataphract posted:

Don't be silly, it makes much more sense to assume that a multi-million pound global company who have been trading for decades do not actually know anything at all about the basics of their own operation. I know this because the internet told me.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

They actually were pretty mediocre in 5th, even during the era of the 4E codex. Keep in mind that brood of 'Stealers was almost 20pts a model for exactly the same thing they are now (swapping Infiltrate for Scout)- not exactly an exciting deal for T4/5+. And 5th edition was the edition of metal boxes, so you were hitting things on 6s and hoping for another 6 to punch through their armor and then another 5/6 destroy them. And that's even assuming they came in where they wanted to and that the enemy hadn't just walled off the relevant portions of the board edge with units.

Genestealers were not amazing in 5E. They weren't even decent.

Yeah, exactly this. They know they've got a good strategy on their hands and they're sticking to it.
I'm talking 5th ed codex with the 5th ed rules, where they were 14 points a model with 3 attacks on the charge, native Infiltrate without having to spend more points, and could still assault the turn they outflanked. The same codex also gave us Hiveguard and Mycetic Spores. The former were great at popping open Transports ta a cheap cost, the latter brings in a few Zoans to one-shot Land Raiders and other heavy-armoured vehicles. It was mostly a matter of applying Hiveguard and SporeZoans to the hard exterior for Genestealers to assault the squishy centre.

Of course, it doesn't work that way the past 2 editions thanks to no assaulting the turn you enter from reserves, casualties from the front, overwatch etc...

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Fairly easy to fix genestealers - make them able to assault from reserves. Done, you're welcome.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Twisted posted:

Fairly easy to fix genestealers - make them able to assault from reserves. Done, you're welcome.

Yes please.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
In a time long before, there were space marine knockoffs, These brave souls were known as.... THE SPACE RANGERS!

i'll do some better pictures later, sadly they're not mine, because i'd have rocked them so hard as my space marines.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

HiveCommander posted:

I'm talking 5th ed codex with the 5th ed rules, where they were 14 points a model with 3 attacks on the charge, native Infiltrate without having to spend more points, and could still assault the turn they outflanked.

Well, you were talking about Scuttlers, which weren't a thing in 5th anymore, so I kinda assumed...

If it's the 5E book you meant, though, you were a fool to take anything that wasn't a Tervigon in your troop slot. Warriors was sorta almost passable, but 'Stealers were just one more unit that couldn't hurt tanks effectively.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, you were talking about Scuttlers, which weren't a thing in 5th anymore, so I kinda assumed...

If it's the 5E book you meant, though, you were a fool to take anything that wasn't a Tervigon in your troop slot. Warriors was sorta almost passable, but 'Stealers were just one more unit that couldn't hurt tanks effectively.
I did mention Genestealers infiltrating without the Scuttlers tax, but now I remember that it gave Scout and not Infiltrate but they were used to outflank anyway. For the most part, I didn't fill my troops with Tervigons because my group's not big on proxy models and GW didn't have kits at the time. Warriors weren't that great since every tactical squad got free missile launchers.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Warriors with a Prime leading them to soak the S8+ stuff were pretty decent; you could hit the dirt for 3+ cover when needed. They weren't anywhere near as good as Tervigons, of course (and is it really a "proxy" when no model existed? Did your group just not allow people to field like half the units in codices? Sternguard and tons of other things lacked specific models during that era, too) but they were better than Stealers, which were pretty much just Bolter bait.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone have a large collection of Zone Mortalis tiles? I want to get a board for when plain 40k gets boring, but how do you store them?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Does anyone have a large collection of Zone Mortalis tiles? I want to get a board for when plain 40k gets boring, but how do you store them?

Paging Carl, Ghost Hand to the thread please.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread who owns a Hierophant mind sharing information about assembling/transporting one? I've considered getting one next year because clearly I do not have enough plastic space bugs. I'd love to see some pictures of one on the table, since I haven't been able to find a lot of good ones through image search.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Paging Carl, Ghost Hand to the thread please.

I store them in boxes under my gaming table. Interestingly enough when they arrive at your doorstep in a huge box (or two in my case) they also come with individual boxes for each tile. While great for storage, they tend to make set up take awhile. So I have saved those boxes (in my attic) but I just store them in cardboard moving boxes beneath my game table.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Frobbe posted:

In a time long before, there were space marine knockoffs, These brave souls were known as.... THE SPACE RANGERS!

i'll do some better pictures later, sadly they're not mine, because i'd have rocked them so hard as my space marines.

This is amazing! What company made them? I cannot make it out with my old eyes on the back of the box.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Soulfucker posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone in this thread who owns a Hierophant mind sharing information about assembling/transporting one? I've considered getting one next year because clearly I do not have enough plastic space bugs. I'd love to see some pictures of one on the table, since I haven't been able to find a lot of good ones through image search.

I magnetized the legs and tail for mine (I probably could have done the arms but :effort:) makes it a lot easier when it can just lay on it's side. From there it gets it's own box, but I didn't put on the lash whips for that reason.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Soulfucker posted:

Assembly is quite easy. Though I bought an older one (back when the body was molded in china but for some reason the legs were not). So the legs didn't quite line up correctly. Nothing a hairdryer and some careful manipulation couldn't fix.

As for transporting it somewhere.... are you insane?! (I haven't even tried yet. Let alone considered how I would do it. I would probably find a big cardboard box and stuff it full of all of the left over KR pieces I removed from Rhino, Bike and Land Raider trays to help support it.)

The model is actually a bit more durable thought than people would think. I expected that those legs would break right off at their tips easily. But this hasn't been the case at all.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Soulfucker posted:

Mine were built with a base to support the main body, and then all limbs and the tail are magnetised. It all fits in a standard KR multicase using full depth pick and pluck foam to customise it.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 26, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

This is amazing! What company made them? I cannot make it out with my old eyes on the back of the box.

Hobbygames, apparently. The only place I found the actual company name was where it said to attach the model to "Hobbygames Figabases" only.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

EM4 makes and sells the Space Rangers now. Just ordered 15 :v:

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Dagon posted:

Hah! They sure do. Look at that. Lots of good "Necromunda" models in there too!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Dagon posted:

Heresy-era marines here I come.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So, anyone with conquest, what does that volkite knight do, and is it only knight house or can I run it with AdMech?

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 26, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I literally just got my copy, hold on and I'll check.

e: the gun is R45 S8 AP3 heavy 5 with deflagrate, but I actually can't tell if you can take it with AdMech because the new book apparently just calls all Knights 'Knights' whereas the old ones would be called Lords of War. Weird.

e2: I can confirm Solar Auxilia can take it, so it may be worth writing FW to ask if AdMech can.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 26, 2014

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Great photos and a nice idea for the assembly, if I do pull through with it I'll probably try something similar (and steal your idea for the Swarm Incubator upgrade :v:).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I literally just got my copy, hold on and I'll check.

e: the gun is R45 S8 AP3 heavy 5 with deflagrate, but I actually can't tell if you can take it with AdMech because the new book apparently just calls all Knights 'Knights' whereas the old ones would be called Lords of War. Weird.

e2: I can confirm Solar Auxilia can take it, so it may be worth writing FW to ask if AdMech can.

Hang on. What's the specific wording for Deflagrate? I know you get a new automatic hit for every unsaved wound, but will wounds from those hits proc off more autohits? BEcause if so, that thing will just eradicate a whole squad of Marines in one go.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

Hang on. What's the specific wording for Deflagrate? I know you get a new automatic hit for every unsaved wound, but will wounds from those hits proc off more autohits? BEcause if so, that thing will just eradicate a whole squad of Marines in one go.

They extra hits cannot generate additional hits, it specifically says it cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Warriors with a Prime leading them to soak the S8+ stuff were pretty decent; you could hit the dirt for 3+ cover when needed. They weren't anywhere near as good as Tervigons, of course (and is it really a "proxy" when no model existed? Did your group just not allow people to field like half the units in codices? Sternguard and tons of other things lacked specific models during that era, too) but they were better than Stealers, which were pretty much just Bolter bait.
For the most part, they all had released models for the stuff they wanted to use :negative:
The Tyranid book was the first one to come out with so many of the new units with missing models though, Space Wolves were only waiting on Thunderwolves from memory.

• Locked thread