Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

The ruling for asnhod's coupon is that the errata isn't actually errata. It's printed on the card.

Entropic posted:

They forgot something. Look it up on Gatherer and check the rulings.

It's supposed to be an artifact creature, hence the artifact frame, but they forgot to actually write that on the card

Clearly it's a hint at ROE.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

Along the same lines:

speaking of forgetting something:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elyv posted:

speaking of forgetting something:

What's wrong with Darksteel Relic? :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

suicidesteve posted:

Island Fish Jasconius. :getin:

Fetchable with flooded strand and fulfils its own islandhome requirement!

Hopping Ghost posted:

This just makes me wonder what other cards/versions thereof might make fun additions in, I dunno, an R&D's Secret Lair Cube. A cube sort of like an inverse Judge's Tower, where every card is simply played exactly as printed to the best of players' ability. A pre-4th Edition Frozen Shade gets a whole lot better and obviously Ashnod's Coupon becomes the ultimate p1p1 windmill slam.

Flip those promo 1/1 Human / 2/2 Wolf double-sided promo tokens with Moonist!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I just love all the overthought effects from back in the day.

Target creature gets -*/-*. When that creature attacks, * is equal to the number of snow-covered lands defending player controls. At other times, * is equal to the number of snow-covered lands its controller controls. If this reduces the creature's toughness to less than 1, the creature's toughness is 1.

Cast only during combat before defense is chosen. At end of combat, destroy X target attacking creatures; X cannot be greater than the number of snow-covered lands you control. For each attacking creature, its controller may pay o1 or o2 to prevent it from being destroyed in this way. If that player pays o1, the creature neither deals nor receives damage in combat. If that player pays o2, the creature deals and receives damage in combat as normal.

If they had printed Eye gouge in 1994 it would've had at least like 9 lines of text.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

This reminded me of the only card that uses chips instead of counters:

Also, for over explaining:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Terrible Horse posted:

This is basically just an enchantment though, and a pretty insane one. The point of walkers (besides being big splashy mythics that sell packs) is that they offer choices. You can kill your Jace Beleran to get some card advantage, or pump him up to dodge more removal, etc.

edit:
Maybe this would be fair:
0: Night's Whisper
-1: Bob on next upkeep.

I do think they should experiment beyond the +, protect this, -, incremental advantage, big ult model though.

It is, but its easier to kill than an enchantment since basically every color can kill a Planeswalker by just striking it.

My favorite "weird loving text card" is either the errata of Animate Dead or Demonic Consultation, an uncommon from Ice Age. Mostly just because it has a ridiculous amount of text for an uncommon:

Demonic Consultation was considered to be the other combo piece in Necro Black in Ice Age since it functionally is Demonic Tutor in instant for for B. It hasn't seen any play in decades in any format, probably because its restricted in Vintage and Banned in Legacy and would kill you in Commander.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 26, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Angry Grimace posted:

It is, but its easier to kill than an enchantment since basically every color can kill a Planeswalker by just striking it.

My favorite "weird loving text card" is either the errata of Animate Dead or Demonic Consultation, an uncommon from Ice Age. Mostly just because it has a ridiculous amount of text for an uncommon:

Demonic Consultation was considered to be the other combo piece in Necro Black in Ice Age since it functionally is Demonic Tutor in instant for for B. It hasn't seen any play in decades in any format, probably because its restricted in Vintage and Banned in Legacy and would kill you in Commander.

I am sorely tempted to make a combo deck with 1 of everything, including 2 Tainted Pact, a Food Chain, and Misthollow Griffin.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

So wait, because I lose -2/-1, that means my dude gets +2/+1, right? :v:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

What is the art even depicting here?

"Whoops dropped my stick, guess I'm dead!"

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Count Bleck posted:

That dude with a stick? He used to be a bear.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh are we doing artchat now

seriously, what.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

seriously, what.

There was a time when - and + counters could be basically anything.

Force of Will was actually part of a cycle, the black one being: "You may pay 1 life and exile a black card from your hand rather than pay Contagion's mana cost. Distribute two -2/-1 counters among one or two target creatures."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

There was a time when - and + counters could be basically anything.

Force of Will was actually part of a cycle, the black one being: "You may pay 1 life and exile a black card from your hand rather than pay Contagion's mana cost. Distribute two -2/-1 counters among one or two target creatures."

I'm aware, I was talking about the art. It looks like a bunny and an...imp? are dragging a blue thing in front of, uh, something and he's going to be forced to sign a contract.

At least, that's my best interpretation.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Elyv posted:

seriously, what.

Does it make more sense if the card is called The Dark Judge? not especially.

http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/fantpg/darkJudge.html

quote:

Many years ago I painted a picture for the game MAGIC: The Gathering, and it was originally given the working title "The Dark Judge." But the company released it with a card named "Ebon Praetor." The painting generated quite a buzz with people frequently asking me why there was a white bunny rabbit in the painting. My answer was that it was not a bunny rabbit at all, but a Pookah, a Celtic spirit/demon. You may have encountered such a creature in the movie Harvey, starring Jimmy Stewart. Eventually I was contacted by a gentleman who wished to purchas the original, but since I had already sold it I suggested that he might like a much more worked out version. This is the painting I made for him. It is what Ebon Praetor could have been if it had been a full scale work of art.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cactrot posted:

Does it make more sense if the card is called The Dark Judge? not especially.

http://www.randyasplund.com/pages/fantpg/darkJudge.html

So the bunny that is not a bunny.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Elyv posted:

I'm aware, I was talking about the art. It looks like a bunny and an...imp? are dragging a blue thing in front of, uh, something and he's going to be forced to sign a contract.

At least, that's my best interpretation.

I knew that, it just happens to be additional weirdness in early Magic. The card art is something else though. Its supposed to be like a rabbit demon or something last I heard.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

At least it's better than this art:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think most of the bad early magic art comes from them not knowing how to communicate intent with artists (see: lemures) and the lack of a huge artist pool to choose from.

wizard probably forgot to ask an artist to draw something and they tore through their tiny supply of art and said "gently caress it just put this on the card". When you don't have artist guidelines sometimes you get awesome quinton hoover art, sometimes you get torgo stickdropper and you don't have the time/money to replace the card art because it's "Good Enough" to print.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well, also, the process of assembling 40~ talented artists pre-internet and organizing them to complete such a major project was probably not something they were prepared for, or even capable of handling well years in. Didn't they have multiple teams working across multiple projects to try to meet demand? That must have been an unbelievable headache to try to organize.

I mean you just looked at a forest with weakness text and didn't even realize what you were seeing. Imagine that only in a printing sheet as you're desperately trying to crank out another set or explain to the printer how that is an error.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Imagine that only in a printing sheet as you're desperately trying to crank out another set or explain to the printer how that is an error.

"You just printed a baseball card with the wrong player on it"

alternatively

"You didn't print it correctly so give us a refund" You don't have to explain why its an error, just that they didn't print what you asked. or is mass printing more esoteric than I thought?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mortimer posted:

wizard probably forgot to ask an artist to draw something and they tore through their tiny supply of art and said "gently caress it just put this on the card". When you don't have artist guidelines sometimes you get awesome quinton hoover art, sometimes you get torgo stickdropper and you don't have the time/money to replace the card art because it's "Good Enough" to print.

Actually, the German versions just had issues with correct art. There's also a Drudge Skeletons with Swamp art, and a Forest with the art and frame of a Plains (or maybe vice versa). That one caused some issues with people using it deceptively in tournaments.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

German Wald rules and I won't hear otherwise

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

On an unrelated note, what's with the Poultrygeist Returns stuff on Magic Online?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Chamale posted:

On an unrelated note, what's with the Poultrygeist Returns stuff on Magic Online?

Bird-themed Sealed events.

Contains one booster each of

• Odyssey
• Onslaught
• Legions
• Scourge
• Eighth Edition
• Vintage Masters
• Khans of Tarkir

They're phantom, though, so don't get too excited about getting a Stifle or anything.

Schedule is:

Vintage Masters and Legacy Cube run through December 9th, plus the Poultrygeist Sealed queue.

December 10th - Modern Masters flashback drafts + the Holiday Cube go up (the Holiday Cube being the older one with Vintage legal cards in it).

After that, its Mirage block drafts (which in theory sounds atrocious - the block is NOT set up for drafting unless I am really not recalling it right) and then Urza Block Drafts (yessss).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 26, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

quote:

My answer was that it was not a bunny rabbit at all, but a Pookah, a Celtic spirit/demon. You may have encountered such a creature in the movie Harvey, starring Jimmy Stewart.

You know, I watched that movie, and I can't recall seeing a pookah.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

After that, its Mirage block drafts (which in theory sounds atrocious - the block is NOT set up for drafting unless I am really not recalling it right)

Mirage block is actually the first set where they designed it with limited in mind, so it actually does draft okay.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheTofuShop posted:

Mirage block is actually the first set where they designed it with limited in mind, so it actually does draft okay.

Glancing at the set, this checks out as I don't see Pestilence at common.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheTofuShop posted:

Mirage was, I think, the first set where they actually even thought about Limited as being a thing that people did, but I don't think they really had much idea what they were doing as far as designing or developing for Limited. It at least does things like "actually having enough creatures in each color at common" that other early sets didn't but it's not exactly a finely tuned environment.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kalli posted:

Glancing at the set, this checks out as I don't see Pestilence at common.

Yeah, but Kaervek's Torch and Ray of Command are commons. Empyrial Armor is a common in the third pack.

There are some filthy commons in that block.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It's certainly no Innistrad or Rise of the Eldrazi, but it's no where near as bad as earlier formats are for limited.

e: yeah, I know, it's a low bar. I remember drafting it back at release & the older dudes in the store going crazy over it.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 26, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheTofuShop posted:

It's certainly no Innistrad or Rise of the Eldrazi, but it's no where near as bad as earlier formats are for limited.

That is really, really not saying much. Look through a spoiler for Legends or something and pay attention to rarities and how many playable creatures and removal spells there are.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mirage was the first block developed for limited, and as the first block developed for limited they made a lot of balancing mistakes. Kaervek's Torch, Ray of Command, and Empyrial Armor stand out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I hate my friend so much. He walked into a pawn shop and found a mystery box of cards for $30 and grabbed it. First card in the stack he had to shoot me a text with a picture of from his car....

Behind it: Foil Unhinged Island.....

He finally processed everything today and sent me the rundown. Two tundras, 1 trop, savannah, scrubland, badlands, and a plateau, 2 flooded strand, 1 mire, 1 heath (onslaught), a misty, arid, and a flats.

There's so much other middle of the road poo poo too. The final value came in at somewhere around 2 grand, and he had another couple hundred worth of Yu-Gi-Oh and Vanguard that he sold already.

Lucky bitch :argh:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Entropic posted:

That is really, really not saying much. Look through a spoiler for Legends or something and pay attention to rarities and how many playable creatures and removal spells there are.
You can fire up Ice Age block or triple Legends in a draft simulator.

Triple Legends looks like a hell of a format. Literal Hell of can't reach 23 playables.

Geez I just realized Disharmony predates Ray of Command. Also weird realizing by the rules it was printed under Feint double prevented all the damage from blockers.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hate my friend so much. He walked into a pawn shop and found a mystery box of cards for $30 and grabbed it.
Around here they try to sell you a binder that was obviously a complete set of Alliances, with some gaps, most notably in the blue section. They'll tell you, "I looked up Magic: The Gathering on the Internet and they can go for a lot of money!" and try to sell you the binder for $200.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I hate my friend so much. He walked into a pawn shop and found a mystery box of cards for $30 and grabbed it. First card in the stack he had to shoot me a text with a picture of from his car....

Ugh, so jealous. There's a popular hobby shop in Japan that bundles and resells mtg cards for cheap, but I suspect they're sifting out the money cards before repackaging. I've only gotten a Hymn to Tourach (Ring-Around-the-Tourach) and a Japanese Aura Shards. Everything else seems to be draft leavings. Just more chaff I can jam into PucaTrades because people like Japanese cards.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zombie #246 posted:

Anyone else's group regularly get fundamental rules and timing issues wrong?

When I was like 12 or 13 I was considered the guy to go to for rules questions (despite knowing barely anything, I guess I was better off than most of my peers.) I remember a kid tried arguing to me that the whole "if a card text would have it do something otherwise not allowed by the rules, the card takes precedence" clause meant "my guy [which does not have trample] has trample."

I still haven't figured out how that one worked.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
My card that I have written trample on supercedes the rule that says you can't errata cards yourself with a sharpie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bad art chat?

• Locked thread