Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Looper posted:

Smash 64 has extremely good sound effects

Japanese Smash 64 has even better sound effects. (Nintendo thought they sounded too violent for America.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

KONK. PO-OI-OI-OING.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

There's still a scene for Smash 64 though and it plays differently than the rest. The hitstun in that game is ridiculous and it's not uncommon to get 0-to-death combos off on people.

I know there's a scene and I think they're all insane

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kaubocks posted:

There's still a scene for Smash 64 though and it plays differently than the rest. The hitstun in that game is ridiculous and it's not uncommon to get 0-to-death combos off on people.

Well that sure sounds like loads of fun!!!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The battle for getting that first solid hit in is fun? :shrug:

Like sure I don't like Smash 64 as much as Melee or currently Smash 4 but I think Smash 64 is totally fine and enjoyable.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So i got my Wii U lately because none of the two other consoles had exclusives worth a drat, along with Wonderful 101. Is it just me or does the tablet suck horribly for making formations, related question: is there a guide to suck less at this game somewhere? I got the jello block thing (i can't even imagine stage 1 is beatable without it because of the armored car enemy) but the duration of it is super short so i get mauled by multiple enemies anyway, also is there a way to not have half my dudes left over after i make a weapon?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Smash 64 aged like poo poo and there's 0 reason to play it today FYI!

The only other game with character-specific Target Tests is Melee, and 4 lacks Target Test entirely. No other game has Board the Platforms, either, which still makes me incredibly sad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Totalizator posted:

So i got my Wii U lately because none of the two other consoles had exclusives worth a drat, along with Wonderful 101. Is it just me or does the tablet suck horribly for making formations, related question: is there a guide to suck less at this game somewhere? I got the jello block thing (i can't even imagine stage 1 is beatable without it because of the armored car enemy) but the duration of it is super short so i get mauled by multiple enemies anyway, also is there a way to not have half my dudes left over after i make a weapon?
For the most part I just used the right stick for drawing the shapes, only exceptions being cutscene ones where the screen was more reliable for me (ymmv). As for jello, I guess you just have to watch the enemies enough to predict their moves and block accordingly at the right time, and you have to keep in mind it can't block spikes/swords or lasers (spiked cannonballs and lasers come up in stage 1 iirc). The sword can reflect lasers and the fist can handle fire stuff (...which I never remembered :doh:), handling spikes comes later.

Pretty much just a lot of observation and memorization and applying what you know with quick enough reaction time. And buy the dodge morph. Feel free to lower the difficulty to get a handle on things first since you can go back and repeat on higher difficulty too.

With leftover dudes you can make other CPU controlled weapons if there's enough, or you can make larger shapes to begin with to use them all. There's also the forward charge attack where they'll cling onto enemies and attack. There's some badges (or whatever they're called) that make it easier to better use of them too.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Thanks for the tips. I looked back and realized I haven't bought the dodge move which would have saved me a lot of confusion and bronze medals. Probably gonna play through on easy for a while until I feel comfortable with the combat since getting knocked around constantly didn't help with figuring out what's going on. The game is cool and I wanted to play it since i saw the E3 trailer two years ago but it's a lot more involved then I expected.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Fremry posted:

My girlfriend and I are buying small presents for each other this year ($25 or less) because we're buying a house. I asked her to get me ZombiU cause it's $15 on Amazon. If it sells out before she gets it, does anyone have any other suggestions?

I was in a Walmart this morning, and they were selling ZombieU for that price.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Totalizator posted:

I'll write a more detailed post when I get home from work, but the short answer is: yes.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Totalizator posted:

Is it just me or does the tablet suck horribly for making formations, related question: is there a guide to suck less at this game somewhere?

I was once like you. Just learn to use the right stick to draw shapes. Think of it like fighting game inputs. You'll be able to draw shapes faster and mix up your combos better later on

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I feel that right now my main problem in Bayonetta is that I can't hit Witch Time consistently and also that enemies hit pretty hard - I got hit with something in the first real boss and a quarter of my health was gone. The fact that it's a proper combo-based system where it takes time to figure out what something does and what is useful in a certain situation make it a lot more difficult, too.

Hey fellow Bayonetta newbie, I'm currently playing through the 2nd game and after spending alot of the first game getting pounded it's starting to click for me.

If you haven't bought it yet get the Bat Within technique it turns your 1/2 second too late fuckups into a successful dodge. It's way more useful for newbies than getting something that just adds to the pile of button combinations you keep forgetting to use.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

No game in the series draws a normal crowd like Smash 64. It's easy on the eyes, the stages are simple.

I find people get overwhelmed with new-anything when it comes to Nintendo, unless you're a Nintendophile.

Some people will look at a newer game in a series and be like, "This is objectively better in every way. The graphics are better, the sound is better, it has everything the old game had and more," but these things don't necessarily make a game fun.

There are supposedly better shooters than Goldeneye 64, but whenever I throw on a newer title at a party, people lose interest, I find. Bomberman, again, there's a great 8-player version on the Wii, but people would rather play 5-player Bomberman '93.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

smash64 is not easy on the eyes, it's super ugly and choppy

I have friends who like smash64 and i hate everytime they want to play it over Melee which happens way too much

i hate my friends, really

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Spellman posted:

No game in the series draws a normal crowd like Smash 64. It's easy on the eyes, the stages are simple.

I find people get overwhelmed with new-anything when it comes to Nintendo, unless you're a Nintendophile.

Some people will look at a newer game in a series and be like, "This is objectively better in every way. The graphics are better, the sound is better, it has everything the old game had and more," but these things don't necessarily make a game fun.

There are supposedly better shooters than Goldeneye 64, but whenever I throw on a newer title at a party, people lose interest, I find. Bomberman, again, there's a great 8-player version on the Wii, but people would rather play 5-player Bomberman '93.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Yea.. after buying it last night it was kind of a let down. I always forget how lovely n64 games look.

I have no idea how I clocked that much time playing it back in the day. Thanks nostalgia.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

smash64 is not easy on the eyes, it's super ugly and choppy

I have friends who like smash64 and i hate everytime they want to play it over Melee which happens way too much

i hate my friends, really
You just gotta go with the flow. Forget about how bad N64 games have aged graphically and just have fun. What I meant is that the character's bright solid colors pop off the simple flat and lovely backgrounds, so it's easy to understand what's going on.

There is such thing as too beautiful.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Spellman posted:

quote:

There are supposedly better shooters than Goldeneye 64, but whenever I throw on a newer title at a party, people lose interest, I find.
I sincerely do not understand this at all. You have extremely strange "normal" friends.

e; Also, the Hyrule Warriors update 1.0.4 and DLC are both out.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 27, 2014

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'm the only person who loving detests Brawl. I logged hundreds of hours in Melee, but I missed the original boat with Brawl, and coming to it again a few months ago was painful. All the rebalancing that's nerfed my players far past the bounds of fairness (Ganondorf in particular is useless), the tweaking of the moves (The airdodge)... the speed of play.

I don't know, I guess its an objectively decent game, but I can only take an hour of playing it with friends before I quit in anger.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Where in the world is this from?

Also, I forget what they're called, but I remember seeing this Gamecube controller attachment that plugs into the Wii-mote. Does anyone here have any experience with those and would they work for all WiiU games?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I'm the only person who loving detests Brawl.
You are absolutely not, I can assure you. There's a reason Project M exists.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Some nerds hated brawl so much they made a fangame of brawl to make it play like melee (and also make stages boring) so i don't think you are

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Where in the world is this from?

I'm guessing that gif is from the Mega64 video they did with Nintendo

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I'm the only person who loving detests Brawl. I logged hundreds of hours in Melee, but I missed the original boat with Brawl, and coming to it again a few months ago was painful. All the rebalancing that's nerfed my players far past the bounds of fairness (Ganondorf in particular is useless), the tweaking of the moves (The airdodge)... the speed of play.

I don't know, I guess its an objectively decent game, but I can only take an hour of playing it with friends before I quit in anger.

yes you are literally the only person who feels this way

just you

congratulations

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They definitely made stages boring in Project M. Green Hill Zone was one of my least favorites in Brawl but changing it to a tiny box with a single swinging platform was not the solution.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Totalizator posted:

Okay duder lemme give you the 101 on the Wonderful 101 (HEH).

-For like 95% of the game, drawing with the right stick is way better than using the touch screen. Sticking (not official parlance) is faster, more intuitive, and you don't have to move your hand back and forth just to do basic attacks. This holds especially true once you buy the Speed Liner upgrade and can draw faster than dripping molasses. Note that you can draw faster before and after getting that upgrade by holding L1 (though this might be Too Fast at first). Situations in which you may want to use the touch pad include: trying out a new unite morph (bomb was tricky for me at first), and tracing certain parts of floor.
-There are several hidden items you can get by tracing a conspicuous part of the ground, I think one of the early ones is like a 7 or a 0 in the street in the first couple levels.
-The pudding form is a timed guard, not a sustained shield, so you gotta time that poo poo! Every enemy has some kind of tell for every one of its moves, and learning to be properly observant in this game is a skill itself. It'll actually feel really generous once you get used to it :)
-Things you can block: blunt force attacks, stuff that looks bounceable, note that some huge attacks (like say from a giant robot) might require at least 50 dudes to block.
-Things you cannot block: everything else (sharp stuff, energy stuff, fire, bites, small bullets)
-Your unite morphs have four sizes, 10, 25, 50, and 100 dudes (note that any unite morph requires at least 10 people, even the guard and dodge moves). The larger the shape you draw, the larger the unite morph, until you buy Unite Charge and can just hold the attack button down for larger forms.
-You can also use excess dudes to make secondary forms by drawing a shape and pressing the X button instead. These'll attack whichever enemy you're locked onto for one combo, and you can have up to 4 forms out at once.
-You already know how important the dodge and block moves are, but other really good stuff you should buy as soon as possible are: Speed Charge, Unite Charge, Hero Time, Ukemi, Hero Counter, Speed Liner, and Formation Charge.
-Crafting 30 of each space vegetable nets you a magical credit card that can buy any item from the shop. Since the other crafting items are junk, get cards and buy the good poo poo.
-General combat procedure involves figuring out how to stun an enemy and then juggling the hell out of them. Some enemies can't be countered, so you have to use the Team Attack (X) instead or just abuse Bomb (or do both).
-Don't get discouraged by tons of bronze and consolation medals! This game is weird and involved and takes a while to get used to but keep at it because it's one of the best games on the system and in general!

If you don't wanna read all that poo poo, just go watch the first few videos of Chip Cheezum's LP in the NES. He knows what he's doing and is very informative.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Ultigonio posted:

e; Also, the Hyrule Warriors update 1.0.4 and DLC are both out.

Can anyone give any feedback on the Hyrule Warriors DLC? I have 30 hours or so in the main game and haven't gotten tired of button mashing and smashing the poo poo out of thousands of enemies and am considering picking the 20 dollar DLC pack up.

Also, the Amiibo integration with this game is not great. I know the two Amiibos we have aren't Zelda or Link (couldn't find either anywhere) but giving me 1 rupee and a 80 power weapon for the daily Amiibo present is so worthless it's not even worth using.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Looper posted:

Okay duder lemme give you the 101 on the Wonderful 101 (HEH).

Thanks! I was holding out on watching let's plays of this to not spoil myself but I'll check that one out, at least to see how someone who knows what he's doing plays this. For now I'll start from the beginning to fix some bronze medals and not do the tutorial terrible enough to afford the dodge for stage 1 (it went so bad I was like 100 points short).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hekk posted:

Can anyone give any feedback on the Hyrule Warriors DLC? I have 30 hours or so in the main game and haven't gotten tired of button mashing and smashing the poo poo out of thousands of enemies and am considering picking the 20 dollar DLC pack up.

From the DLC that's out so far, there have been two entire new adventure mode maps, a new character (Twili Midna), a couple new weapons, more costumes and other content. Because of the adventure mode maps the amount of content the DLC adds to the game is quite staggering. If you think you won't get tired of the game or want to have fresh content if you come back to it some day, the DLC is for you as it adds a lot.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

Mahvel baybee

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Japanese Smash 64 has even better sound effects. (Nintendo thought they sounded too violent for America.)
Just looked this up and hooooooly crap. They sound incredibly satisfying - better than anything in any modern fighter I can think of.

e: just got to a clip of the Metal Mario boss fight and I forgot how good his footsteps sound.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Katana Gomai posted:

These pins are 4000 Stars on the EU Club Nintendo and I can't decide whether I want them or not.

Just an fyi; these are also on the Aussie Club Nintendo for 2,500 stars.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. And the air dodge was the first thing I bought.

I'll just keep banging my head against it until I beat it.

For you, Hideki.

When you get the opportunity, buy the bat transformation. If your dodge is off by a second, it might fall within it's window and save you taking damage as well as triggering Witch Time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

If you haven't bought it yet get the Bat Within technique it turns your 1/2 second too late fuckups into a successful dodge. It's way more useful for newbies than getting something that just adds to the pile of button combinations you keep forgetting to use.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When you get the opportunity, buy the bat transformation. If your dodge is off by a second, it might fall within it's window and save you taking damage as well as triggering Witch Time.

Yeah, I bought that immediately it became available. I've also picked up some health and magic upgrades and I'm liking the whip a lot.

The Alfheims are pretty ridiculous, though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cat Machine posted:

Just looked this up and hooooooly crap. They sound incredibly satisfying - better than anything in any modern fighter I can think of.

e: just got to a clip of the Metal Mario boss fight and I forgot how good his footsteps sound.

Looking it up, I think I actually prefer the international ultra-cartoony sound effects. Smash 64 has great sound design either way though, and surprisingly good original music.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

we did it guys

we found the one person in the world who hates Brawl

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Cat Machine posted:

64 Metal Mario's footsteps is glorious and wonderful and I am sad that there's nothing comparable in the sequels.

(At least Luigi's and Jigglypuff's correctly executed Super Jump Punch and Rest respectively keep the glorious PING sound!)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
GAME just announced via Twitter its gonna have a Wii U bundle for Black Friday - 8GB console, Smash, NSMBU and an Amiibo for £199.99.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Looks like there is an E-shop sale going on.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sears has Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors for $30:

http://www.sears.com/mario-kart-8-for-nintendo-wii-u/p-05804468000P
http://www.sears.com/nintendo-zelda-hyrule-warrior-for-nintendo-wii-u/p-05844969000P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Is this just in the US or also Canada?

• Locked thread