Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Rexicon1 posted:

Just to be clear, everyone realizes kyrie is a troll right? I cant be the only one to notice it?

I mean, I'm inclined to believe it, but it's hard to tell sometimes when it comes to fanaticism vs trolling. You'd think that ShockofGod or NephilimFree were trolls too, but nope, the truth is so much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

No, it just sounds more moderate and is written in a less archaic, insufferable tone. it's equally batshit

That you think Brandor sounds moderate shows that you have no idea what you're talking about

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Miltank posted:

That you think Brandor sounds moderate shows that you have no idea what you're talking about

Unlike Kyrie, Brandor is at least willing to acknowledge that infinite torture for finite offenses is obscene, particularly when the best analogies Kyrie can come up with to justify it are child abuse.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Read words

quote:

No, it just sounds more moderate and is written in a less archaic, insufferable tone. it's equally batshit

e: VVV "enjoyable" and "batshit" are far from mutually exclusive to me

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 27, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
I dunno, I've always enjoyed Brandor's posts, even if they sound pretty schizo. Metaphysics really isn't that offensive. I mean, obviously he takes it a bit far, but again, I just have to ask who the gently caress cares and why?

Who What Now posted:

Because it's a false equivocation, muddies the waters, and makes having an open and honest discussion about these things much harder, not easier. How can you have a meaningful talk with someone who can't even use a consistent definition within a single sentence much less a whole discussion?

And just berating them over and over again is somehow more meaningful?

CommieGIR posted:

Truly, I guess we all showed up under the assumption that someone actually wanted to debate and discuss...

I still find it really amusing that so many "rah rah science!" people have such a bone to pick with philosophy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

down with slavery posted:

And just berating them over and over again is somehow more meaningful?

When literally all else fails? Yes, absolutely and unequivocally.

SedanChair posted:

Really Brandor just trades doctrinal stubbornness and hellfire with patronizing pseudointellectual babble.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 27, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Brandor do you believe that there is One True God whose laws you must follow (or whose Son you have to say is super great I guess) to get into Heaven, or not? Do you believe that the Bible is written to help guide people to that salvation?

If so, then why, as you claim, does the Bible have accounts of four different divine entities in the OT alone? Is the convert just supposed to guess which one is right? Are none of them real?

Either you're full of poo poo or you're saying The Bible is full of poo poo. One makes you a liar, the other makes you a heathen (by pretty much all definitions execpt your own which no one besides you cares about).

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Who What Now posted:

When literally all else fails? Yes, absolutely and unequivocally.

All else fails? It's not that hard to be reasonable and just ignore obvious trolls instead of filling the thread with lovely one liners that read like /r/atheism comments

There actually are interesting discussions to be had about religion and it's relationship with humanity and what BrandorKP is saying isn't as retarded as you're making it out to be. Why not go down the rabbit hole instead of just flinging poo poo?

Example:

paragon1 posted:

Either you're full of poo poo or you're saying The Bible is full of poo poo. One makes you a liar, the other makes you a heathen (by pretty much all definitions execpt your own which no one besides you cares about).

This is just an absurd position to take, he's actually not a raging fundamentalist (you know, those Christians you're so upset about), there's no reason to try to play "gotcha" with a guy as well versed as him. Bring something interesting to the table please.

Who What Now posted:

Really Brandor just trades doctrinal stubbornness and hellfire with patronizing pseudointellectual babble.

It only sounds patronizing because of how dense you and a few other posters are so intent on being. I'd be patronizing the hell out of you morons too. It's debate and discussion, not a youtube video's comment section.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 27, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

All else fails? It's not that hard to be reasonable and just ignore obvious trolls instead of filling the thread with lovely one liners that read like /r/atheism comments

There actually are interesting discussions to be had about religion and it's relationship with humanity and what BrandorKP is saying isn't as retarded as you're making it out to be. Why not go down the rabbit hole instead of just flinging poo poo?

What makes you think I haven't before? Do you honestly think this is the first time Brandor has brought these things up?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Who What Now posted:

What makes you think I haven't before? Do you honestly think this is the first time Brandor has brought these things up?

No actually I know it isn't, I've debated with him in past threads and given that it's been a while since we had a religion thread, I think it's fair to you know, let him actually make his arguments without resorting to namecalling or bottom of the barrel one liners. He's not being a dick to anyone but he's just getting poo poo on repeatedly. And I know you might have a well thought out position regarding the whole thing, but when you drop stupid comments in here like it's GBS it just invites a whole new level of ignorant person who could actually learn something from reading a more nuanced explanation of religion.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

No actually I know it isn't, I've debated with him in past threads and given that it's been a while since we had a religion thread, I think it's fair to you know, let him actually make his arguments without resorting to namecalling or bottom of the barrel one liners. He's not being a dick to anyone but he's just getting poo poo on repeatedly. And I know you might have a well thought out position regarding the whole thing, but when you drop stupid comments in here like it's GBS it just invites a whole new level of ignorant person who could actually learn something from reading a more nuanced explanation of religion.

Brandor's position isn't actually nuanced, though, and there's nothing meaningful to be learned from him. You're simply confusing verbosity for substance. Here, hurrrr2 posted this analogy that I think sums this all up very well.

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

You are the new entrant at the end of the story.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

paragon1 posted:

Brandor do you believe that there is One True God whose laws you must follow (or whose Son you have to say is super great I guess) to get into Heaven, or not? Do you believe that the Bible is written to help guide people to that salvation?

If so, then why, as you claim, does the Bible have accounts of four different divine entities in the OT alone? Is the convert just supposed to guess which one is right? Are none of them real?

You don't really know much about christianity huh?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Miltank posted:

You don't really know much about christianity huh?

I know quite a lot about it actually.

You really don't get to claim to be Christian and tell everyone else that they should be Christian too when you're beliefs don't match anything that is remotely recognizable as Christianity to anyone else.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It just seems from your posts like you think biblical literalism is a central tenant of Christianity or something.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

It just seems from your posts like you think biblical literalism is a central tenant of Christianity or something.

To some Christians it absolutely is.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

But "religious discussion" without real challenges is just sniffing one another's buttholes.

I'm reminded of this old debate about Life of Brian with the Monty Python cast, Malcolm Muggeridge and some hilarious flaming priest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeKWVuye1YE

The religious guys aren't on their level, at all. They're talking nonsense. This used to be the kind of discourse society tolerated.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

To some Christians it absolutely is.

Yes, especially in the US. I consider the Evangelical position on biblical inerrancy to be idolatrous fwiw.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

Yes, especially in the US. I consider the Evangelical position on biblical inerrancy to be idolatrous fwiw.

Ok, believe it's idolatrous all you want, but don't act as if it's a position that no Christians hold.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNtfYfYs0WQ

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my life. I am thankful for my family, and I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for the wisdom and knowledge I have been granted. I am thankful for the fun times and the loves I have experienced. I am thankful for the comfort and warmth and security of my home, lest I live on the street like my neighbors. I am thankful for my gainful employment, and I desire to show this thanks to my employer and to my colleagues. I am thankful for the ready availability of good food, clean water, and medical assistance. I am thankful that I do not have to regularly fear violence and physical oppression.

I am thankful for my nation, its good people, and its just laws; I am thankful for the Church, that it continue to guide our species towards sainthood. I am thankful for all of the people of the world, who have made my life rich with experience, and showed me the commonality of all people, that within them all at their burning center is you, you O Lord, that you are the only thing that makes a man just and good, the only thing that makes a man turn away from sin.

I am thankful for your sacrifice in Christ Jesus. I am thankful for his resurrection. I am thankful to know you, Lord; this above all, I am thankful for you.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Ok, believe it's idolatrous all you want, but don't act as if it's a position that no Christians hold.

I never did.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Kyrie eleison posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNtfYfYs0WQ

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my life. I am thankful for my family, and I am thankful for my friends. I am thankful for the wisdom and knowledge I have been granted. I am thankful for the fun times and the loves I have experienced. I am thankful for the comfort and warmth and security of my home, lest I live on the street like my neighbors. I am thankful for my gainful employment, and I desire to show this thanks to my employer and to my colleagues. I am thankful for the ready availability of good food, clean water, and medical assistance. I am thankful that I do not have to regularly fear violence and physical oppression.

I am thankful for my nation, its good people, and its just laws; I am thankful for the Church, that it continue to guide our species towards sainthood. I am thankful for all of the people of the world, who have made my life rich with experience, and showed me the commonality of all people, that within them all at their burning center is you, you O Lord, that you are the only thing that makes a man just and good, the only thing that makes a man turn away from sin.

I am thankful for your sacrifice in Christ Jesus. I am thankful for his resurrection. I am thankful to know you, Lord; this above all, I am thankful for you.

In Jesus' name I pray, amen.

scuse me ive been informed that youre trolling so im not gonna respond to you anymore

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Kyrie isn't a troll he just believes in things that troll other people

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Miltank posted:

Kyrie isn't a troll he just believes in things that troll other people

well now im pretty sure your trollin so i dont think

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I generally do not troll in DnD.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

I never did.

Yes you did, right here on this very page.

Miltank posted:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Yes you did, right here on this very page.

A central tenant of Christianity would be something like the trinity. Biblical inerrancy is not a core tenant of Christianity proper, although it IS a core part of Evangelical Christianity.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

A central tenant of Christianity would be something like the trinity. Biblical inerrancy is not a core tenant of Christianity proper, although it IS a core part of Evangelical Christianity.

quote:

Modern nontrinitarian Christian groups or denominations include Christadelphians, Christian Scientists, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Dawn Bible Students, Friends General Conference, Iglesia ni Cristo, Jehovah's Witnesses, Living Church of God, Oneness Pentecostals, Members Church of God International, Unitarian Universalist Christians, The Way International, The Church of God, International and the United Church of God.

That sure is a lot of Christians that don't believe that the trinity is a central tenant. So by your logic, it isn't!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
It is technically the position of the Church that the Bible is "inerrant". We are not likely to back away from this line. We will acknowledge that the firmament does not actually exist, but we will still consider the Bible inerrant. I view the firmament as an (intentionally) poetic thing, and sometimes when I am outside I like to look at the sky and imagine the firmament holding back the cosmic waters.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

That sure is a lot of Christians that don't believe that the trinity is a central tenant. So by your logic, it isn't!
First of all, lol at Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses being Christians.

If you go back and look at the conversation that you are interrupting you'll see that it is about what is generally accepted to be true by the Christian community. The doctrine of the Trinity and the Council of Nicaea are where you will find this consensus to be. I don't really know what you think you are arguing with me about to be honest.

e:^ yeah you are right, I should have stuck with "historically literal" or something. Point is, the bible isn't meant to be read like a textbook.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 27, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Rexicon1 posted:

Just to be clear, everyone realizes kyrie is a troll right? I cant be the only one to notice it?
There's such a huge goddamn portion of the United States that unironically believes everything he's saying that at some point it's less "trolling" and more a question of whether he's real or just imitating one of the literally millions of people who do believe all this stuff.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If I remember right from the last thread, Kyrie's gay/attracted to other men (however you choose to define it) but consider that it's wrong to follow through on such attraction and thus believe God requires him to live a life of separation and abstinence.

I swear I'm not making this up (and I apologize if I'm mistaking someone else for you, Kyrie) and just trying to recall whether it was him that said that, or someone else. If my memory does serve, I think it helps illustrated why he believes such things about not deserving life/happiness on their own terms
Oh, if this is true this thread got a lot less fun for me. It's fun poking holes in biblical literalism inerrancy, less fun knowing someone's denying a fundamental part of themselves because some passage that sits alongside "rules for burnt offerings" and "rules for civilization 101" has been twisted and reinterpreted in order to gently caress up the lives of gays and lesbians the world over.

Kyrie: God is not an rear end in a top hat, stop denying yourself, be who you really are.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

First of all, lol at Mormons and Jehova's Witnesses being Christians.

lol, you actually think you have the ability to dictate who is or is not a Christian. That is just so precious.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wow did somebody really just liken Jehovah's Witnesses to Mormons :stare:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Only internet atheists can tell if someone is a real Christian or not.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
It blows my mind that Mormons call themselves Christians and people actually buy it. It would be like if Muslims called themselves Mohammed Jews and everyone just went along with it (besides the actual Jews who would be like "wtf?!")

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone who calls themselves a Christian is a Christian. drat, that was hard.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Believes in Jesus (not Isa) = Christian

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
No, that's wrong.

e: you are both incorrect.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Miltank posted:

No, that's wrong.

Yes, it's right.

e: we are both correct

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 27, 2014

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Miltank posted:

No, that's wrong.

e: you are both incorrect.

Why don't you actually explain what you think is required to be a Christian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Miltank posted:

It blows my mind that Mormons call themselves Christians and people actually buy it. It would be like if Muslims called themselves Mohammed Jews and everyone just went along with it (besides the actual Jews who would be like "wtf?!")

An interesting note about this: unlike Christians, who view themselves as the Israelites, the spiritual successor to the ancient Israelites of the Bible... the Muslims consider themselves Ishmaelites, and think of the Israelites as the Jews, and as a disloyal tribe to God. Ishmael is a son of Abraham, and Israel is Abraham's grandson. They view the Genesis talk as origin stories for the races of mankind, with the Israelites being a genetic lineage (Jews), and the Ishmaelites being a genetic lineage (Arabs); Muhammad is held to be a descendant of Ishmael.

The whole Muslim thing is like, "The Israelites distorted the true Abrahamic word, but we, the Ishmaelites, have the real deal." This is also why they do not include the Old Testament in their Scriptures, and view it as corrupted. The reason Muslims like Jesus is that he was basically giving the Israelites trouble by teaching the "true" Abrahamic faith.

• Locked thread