Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Game really hates me sometimes.

Early on the game gave me dark bum, habit, overcharge and faster charging, then found the evil heart book in a devil room which meant I was at full health for the whole game until Cathedral. However the game gave me no damage ups besides coal and one tears up pill. Isaac took about 5 minutes to kill, the double monstro II's in the first chest room took nearly as long. ??? gradually whittled away my health with his homing tears and bs teleport move until I lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

kemikalkadet posted:

Game really hates me sometimes.

Early on the game gave me dark bum, habit, overcharge and faster charging, then found the evil heart book in a devil room which meant I was at full health for the whole game until Cathedral. However the game gave me no damage ups besides coal and one tears up pill. Isaac took about 5 minutes to kill, the double monstro II's in the first chest room took nearly as long. ??? gradually whittled away my health with his homing tears and bs teleport move until I lost.

I just had a similar run on Eden. Started with Brimstone but got one damage up the entire game. Luckily I found the faith card and managed to get myself up to 6 or 7 red heart containers and then later the heals on kill item so I was able to keep my health up fairly decently. The Lamb took around 5 minutes to kill but I went into the fight with 3 hearts so it was rough.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Power of Pecota posted:

All I've got left is to get Godhead to drop after unlocking it today on a sick Lost run with Quad Shot + Mom's Knife (or that should be the case, I'm starting to get really nervous about platinum god not unlocking when it should have),

When people have had to get Angel Room items to drop have they gone with Isaac for the chance at a double reroll (Angel Room item, key piece) or Judas for the guaranteed devil/angel room on every room after Basement 1 with Book of Belial? I've been doing the latter and I'm starting to think the former's the way to go, in two runs through Womb 1 and resetting I've gotten 3 angel rooms and only two of them have had items.

Best way to get a specific Angel Room item is by going Isaac and getting the Habit and the Placenta which are pretty common. Run into fires to charge your D6, reroll the item then let your health regen. You are guaranteed the Godhead with this method but it takes a while so read a book or something. If you don't get an actual item in the Angel Room then bomb the statue, you can reroll the key.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

SuicideSnowman posted:

I don't see how you cannot have it happen. The best place to stand in that fight is right where the polaroid spawns. If you're doing a Lost run or a run where you have very little health that's the safest place. And your solution is the simplest. The game already doesn't let you immediately go to the next floor if you leave the room and go back into it as a safety measure. Not sure why they wouldn't do that same thing for those items.

Also if you teleport out before picking them up, you WILL pick up the Negative upon entering again.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Does anyone know if the Holy Mantle bug where you regain the protective effect if you exit and continue the game still work? Because I have a Holy Mantle + Dead Cat Lost run in Sheol waiting for me at home and I'm totally going to cheese it if it comes down to me having just one life while fighting The Lamb.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Wugga posted:

Does anyone know if the Holy Mantle bug where you regain the protective effect if you exit and continue the game still work? Because I have a Holy Mantle + Dead Cat Lost run in Sheol waiting for me at home and I'm totally going to cheese it if it comes down to me having just one life while fighting The Lamb.

Yup, still valid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you're going to cheat with the Lost why not just download a 100% save and be done with it? :psyduck:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Probably for the same reason some people would use "idkfa" without "iddqd"?

I find using an exploit/cheese a lot more fun then just downloading a save or editing some file because in a sense you're still working within the confines of the game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're going to cheat with the Lost why not just download a 100% save and be done with it? :psyduck:

It's possible to cheat through one part of a game without messing up the merit of the rest of it on a personal level. Isaac is a single player game and one of the benefits of it being a single player game is that players can selectively choose what they do and don't want to do. 100% legitimacy isn't really that important to a lot of people when it comes to single player games (hence selective cheating) but 100% illegitimacy is (hence not just downloading a 100% save).

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Internet Kraken posted:

Hi, I hate the lost and will literally never succeed past lv 3 with him, but I still want to find godhead at some point on a character that manages to challenge me without simply making me restart every 2 minutes. I don't care about :gitgud: and I'm probably not the only one.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

just had 3 challenge room chests send me to the devil room. That devil room contained a red chest also sending me to the devil room :confused:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

SuicideSnowman posted:

They really need to do something with the automatic pickup of the polaroid/negative at the end of the mom fight. In a fight where your best option is to stay in the middle of the room and to have an item spawn immediately after killing Mom is pretty obnoxious. I don't know how many runs I've ruined where I'm wanting to go to the Lamb but I automatically pick up the polaroid.

Northernlion asked the developers about this, and they said they'd look into it.

It's strange there's no delay on boss item pickups (same goes for There's Options; I've often taken the wrong boss item by accident) while there is a delay on other stuff in the game. There's a delay between consumables spawning and when you can pick them up, leading to some annoying moving back and forth. There's also a delay, at least in 1.01 on the Vita, where your passive items don't proc right away until you move to another room. If you get Holy Mantle on Basement I, then go down to Basement II, see a curse room above you and move into it, you might take damage. I had a Blue Baby run almost ruined by that. Thank god it wasn't The Lost.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Poizen Jam posted:

So how the hell do these two interact?

The tears fail to escape your gravity and gently circle back down.

And then explode because gently caress Ipecac. :argh:

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I really love getting Bob's Brain + Sad Bombs. It's an extremely potent combo, if not a dangerous one.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think I've used a sacrifice room maybe twice ever in like 200+ hours combined of the first game and rebirth.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

I think I've used a sacrifice room maybe twice ever in like 200+ hours combined of the first game and rebirth.

Sometimes you need an extra key, money or bombs on the first floor and it's worth a shot.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I wish I could sync my PC/PS4/Vita files

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

I was kinda disappointed that Rebirth didn't revamp them in some way. Curse rooms are a much better risk-reward mechanic already.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Just used one effectively on the first level on an Eve run to activate Whore of Babylon. Otherwise they're just a room I look in to check for hearts on the floor.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Sometimes this game. It wasn't that I initially got most of these, it's that the D6 got me them almost every time. Once I hit Necropolis I was rerolling on purpose to get more. Devil Room alone got me like 6 of those.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Does luck down mess up like the original? I remember about how it would roll over and instead of negative luck it would turn into maximum luck or something like that.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

SuicideSnowman posted:

I don't see how you cannot have it happen. The best place to stand in that fight is right where the polaroid spawns. If you're doing a Lost run or a run where you have very little health that's the safest place. And your solution is the simplest. The game already doesn't let you immediately go to the next floor if you leave the room and go back into it as a safety measure. Not sure why they wouldn't do that same thing for those items.

There is a long period where there is blood pouring from the walls and mom is dying where there are no enemies on screen and you can walk away from the middle. You have a solid 2-3 seconds where you can move. I've killed mom probably around 1200 times in BoI, WotL, and Rebirth and walking into an boss drop has never happened to me.

Also being in the middle of the room for that fight is a really bad idea.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TheModernAmerican posted:

There is a long period where there is blood pouring from the walls and mom is dying where there are no enemies on screen and you can walk away from the middle. You have a solid 2-3 seconds where you can move. I've killed mom probably around 1200 times in BoI, WotL, and Rebirth and walking into an boss drop has never happened to me.

It's actually a cool and good idea.

That said, when I was going for unlocks it annoyed me because I'd exit after killing mom to see which unlock I needed, and then on loading the game back I'd pick up the negative immediately.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Being in the middle for any moderately equipped character is fine. It gives you the fastest avenue to all 4 doors to take down adds or attack Mom and it gives you the maximum space to move from her foot. Provided you have some health you can just tank the stomps anyway if they come.

YMMV for a number of reasons but middle of the room is not a bad strat at all.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

It's actually a cool and good idea.

That said, when I was going for unlocks it annoyed me because I'd exit after killing mom to see which unlock I needed, and then on loading the game back I'd pick up the negative immediately.

Stand near the center but slightly toward any corner, that way the eyes can't shoot you and any projectile enemies spawned need to move to hit you. If there are rocks in the way use her foot to break them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wugga posted:

Is that a thing? I was wondering why on one run I inexplicably became completely invincible.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

There's just really no reason for it to work the way it does. I've killed mom plenty of times myself so no need to talk about how you're great and you have the best strategy and you've never done it. It's not the same as every other boss drop. No other boss requires you to spend the most of the fight the middle. It didn't matter in the original because once you beat the game so many times there weren't really may reasons not to pick the item up. Fixing this minor thing isn't going to piss anybody off and it'll make some people happy. Win win.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

You kill Mom, blood shoots out the walls and she shouts "Isaaaaaac!". During this time the boss fight is over but no items have spawned. Use this time to not stand on top of the item.

Also I wasn't bragging about my talent at this video game (I can hardly struggle through a hard mode run at all), I was just providing evidence that I've played this game a lot.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I suck at this game and have never accidentally picked up a boss item, even with Negative/Polaroid. It seems like some people have a play style that makes them more susceptible to that fluke I guess? Interesting.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I suck at this game and have never accidentally picked up a boss item, even with Negative/Polaroid. It seems like some people have a play style that makes them more susceptible to that fluke I guess? Interesting.

I move around a lot. Even on the mom fight where there isn't a lot of moving required. Especially with an item like brimstone where dragging the tears across a number of enemies becomes a pretty common strategy.

I've also noticed that there are certain item combinations or there's a certain way that she dies where the blood walls to item spawn is nearly instantaneous.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

It is really easy to accidentally pick up the Negative when exiting a devil/angel room or the boss rush because those rooms can move to different walls of the Mom boss arena when you reenter it. Items can also spawn under you when you kill the boss and you can pick them up unintentionally if you aren't paying attention.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I'm just saying that your solution was to add a few seconds when you can't pick up the item when it's already in the game.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It is really easy to accidentally pick up the Negative when exiting a devil/angel room or the boss rush because those rooms can move to different walls of the Mom boss arena when you reenter it. Items can also spawn under you when you kill the boss and you can pick them up unintentionally if you aren't paying attention.

Move slower? At a certain point you need to take responsibility for your own mistakes dude.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Does Brimstone override Mom's Knife? This is important for my current Lost run which is going well, hopefully going to make it to the Boss Rush this time with the Stopwatch.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Logan 5 posted:

Does Brimstone override Mom's Knife? This is important for my current Lost run which is going well, hopefully going to make it to the Boss Rush this time with the Stopwatch.

I think the knife unreplacable once you get it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There is no "move slower" when you pop out of the boss rush because you're standing on it when you exit. :v: You also clearly did not understand what I was saying about boss items. You kill the boss, stop because the threat is gone. Maybe look away from the game. Then the item spawns and, whoops, you were standing on it. Oh well.

This isn't a matter of being good or not, it's not a matter of playstyle. These things happen, and of course it is always a mistake, but telling people it happens to "Oh but it doesn't happen to me" is meaningless. Who are you helping with that?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe don't look away from the game when a problem that has happened to you multiple times in the past is about to happen again? You have to be aware of the game to play this game. This would be like me complaining about that one room in the depths where there is a spike one block away from the top and bottom door that single handedly killed a run of mine. It was entirely my fault, I'm not going to bitch about it and demand Nicalis add something that makes spikes not hurt you the first few seconds you're in a room.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Logan 5 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smlhXJT7noQ

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

So I knew you could re-roll a 2nd item when picking up the 1st(There's Options) but it didn't think to occur to me to do it on a Boss Rush until today.

Used the Wafer, Placenta, and Sharp Plug to turn what should have been 2 items into 6. :stare:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe don't look away from the game when a problem that has happened to you multiple times in the past is about to happen again? You have to be aware of the game to play this game. This would be like me complaining about that one room in the depths where there is a spike one block away from the top and bottom door that single handedly killed a run of mine. It was entirely my fault, I'm not going to bitch about it and demand Nicalis add something that makes spikes not hurt you the first few seconds you're in a room.

I'm not advocating they change the game, I'm saying your argument is "just don't do that then" and that's a bad argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

There's absolutely no reason to die on the hill of 'make items spawn slightly later' and it's weird that you're so vehemently against it.