Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Can anyone tell me if there's some trick to getting the Audio Return Channel to work on my NR414? I just got a new tv (samsung h7150) and would like to get sound through my receiver when using the TV's apps. Mainly just for amazon prime since I use a chromecast for everything else.

Anynet is enabled and everything looks like it should be working - I have the audio output set to 'receiver' on the TV and ARC is enabled on the receiver. When I switch to a smart app on the tv, it kicks the receiver over to the "TV/CD" input (which I previously had assigned to one of the HDMI input, but I've unassigned it now) but I just don't get any sound. Audio return channel doesn't show up as a source in any of the lists, so I can't manually assign it. I'm assuming it should happen automagically?

Any ideas? Running an optical would be a huge pain in the rear end so I'm trying to avoid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the nicker posted:

Can anyone tell me if there's some trick to getting the Audio Return Channel to work on my NR414? I just got a new tv (samsung h7150) and would like to get sound through my receiver when using the TV's apps. Mainly just for amazon prime since I use a chromecast for everything else.

Anynet is enabled and everything looks like it should be working - I have the audio output set to 'receiver' on the TV and ARC is enabled on the receiver. When I switch to a smart app on the tv, it kicks the receiver over to the "TV/CD" input (which I previously had assigned to one of the HDMI input, but I've unassigned it now) but I just don't get any sound. Audio return channel doesn't show up as a source in any of the lists, so I can't manually assign it. I'm assuming it should happen automagically?

Any ideas? Running an optical would be a huge pain in the rear end so I'm trying to avoid it.

What does your manual say about making arc work.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Don Lapre posted:

What does your manual say about making arc work.

The receiver manual? nothing that I haven't already done.

THe tv manual.. well gently caress me, apparently there's a specific hdmi port i have to use. Which blows because my cable will only reach the port it's in right now, which means i'll have to run a new one through the wall which is what i was trying to avoid. oh well, at least i know what the problem (probably) is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the nicker posted:

THe tv manual.. well gently caress me, apparently there's a specific hdmi port i have to use. Which blows because my cable will only reach the port it's in right now, which means i'll have to run a new one through the wall which is what i was trying to avoid. oh well, at least i know what the problem (probably) is.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-8inch-28AWG-Speed-Female/dp/B004C4XR00/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416601600&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+extension

Or you could just tie the new one to the old one when you pull it out.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

the nicker posted:

Are you using an ancient HDMI cable?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Hah, I wonder if the little hdmi pigtail that came with my chromecast would be long enough. It just might..

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the nicker posted:

One of the ports on the tv will be ARC, one of the ones on the receiver will be arc. The reciever will also have to be on a specific input and you may even have to change the receiver settings. on mine for example (pioneer) its the tv input and i can set the tv input to outpout sound from the optical input or the hdmi/arc input.

HOG ILLUSTRATIONS
Apr 26, 2006
I'm finally pulling the trigger on a new projector (BenQ w1070) and I'm gonna need a home theater audio setup to go with it. I'd like to keep it very low end if possible, and my only real needs are that the receiver can switch 3d hdmi inputs. The room it will be in is very small, if that makes a difference. I have a 10+ year old onkyo system that my plebeian ears like the sound of, and if any of the speakers are worth salvaging that would be nice (http://www.cnet.com/products/onkyo-ht-s580/specs/). Is there anything that y'all recommend that is sub $200 for the receiver, and as low as possible for a powered sub?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I got the Andrew Jones floorstanding speakers a while back, decided to add my banana plugs to them, but they don't seem to fit? They are the Sewell Deadbolt found here http://www.amazon.com/Deadbolt-Bana...+deadbolt+plugs I took off the binding post screws and removed the dustcaps, but the plug only goes in about halfway and stops. My googling says there's only the dustcaps to remove but is there something else in there? Or are these the wrong size?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tanbo posted:

I got the Andrew Jones floorstanding speakers a while back, decided to add my banana plugs to them, but they don't seem to fit? They are the Sewell Deadbolt found here http://www.amazon.com/Deadbolt-Bana...+deadbolt+plugs I took off the binding post screws and removed the dustcaps, but the plug only goes in about halfway and stops. My googling says there's only the dustcaps to remove but is there something else in there? Or are these the wrong size?

Try pushing harder ? (Carefully)

The way they fit and the metal material makes it easy to bind up sometimes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Tanbo posted:

I am using those banana plugs with Micca MB42X speakers and the plugs only seat ~3/4 of the way into the jacks. As far as I can tell, the jacks are just not very deep. The same plugs fit all the way into my receiver jacks. In any case, the connection to the speakers seems secure. I just figured it was because cheap speakers have cheap banana jacks.

Can you stick something thin into the jack and measure how deep it goes to find out what insertion you could get at max?

taqueso fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 27, 2014

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
I'm looking for a stereo amplifier of decent quality to run two older Polk speakers as a second zone for music. I want to keep my vintage Polk RTA 11Ts for music, but I feel like they aren't quite up to the task of heavy-hitting blu-rays
I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR609 which is driving my two Polk RTA 11Ts(http://www.polksda.com/rta11t.shtml and http://www.stereophile.com/content/polk-rta-11t-loudspeaker-specifications) in a 2.0 system, and I'm planning on getting some variety of HTIIB to do a 5.1 system, and using my amplifier's zone 2 for the polks. The amp does RCA out for zone 2, and I'm looking for something which will put out around 200 watts at 6 OHMs to drive the Polks, but I'm coming up empty handed. Very few amps seems to explicitly state how they will run at 6 OHM these days, and saying something will run 8 OHM bridges does not necessarily mean the amp will be happy with 6 OHMs bridged. The only real solutions I've found so far are to use two Audiosource AMP100s(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882180022), which I have done before, but for some Polk Monitor 40's (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290202) which sounded freaking amazing, but I don't know if the audiosource will be happy running a 6 OHM bridged load. I think this amp would work great, the audiuosource AMP310 (http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6),but it is dumb money.
My other option is to attempt to modify the speakers I have now to be Bi-Amp compatible, because my amp will do bi amping of the front speakers at the penalty of reducing from 7.1 to 5.1 (I don't give a poo poo about reducing to 5.1), but then I would have to open up the speakers and change things which I'n scared of.
Help me inspect your gadgets, you're my only hope

Edit: I really want to keep with polks I have now as a music system, because I think they sound freaking amazing for music. For movies, they are most certainly lacking on the low end for explosions and the such, and really, a 5.1 system is the norm these days. I would just keep these as my main front channels and add some speakers, but I read everywhere that voice matching is very important, and I am pretty sure I would be sensitive to that kind of thing, so I want to just get an entire 5.1 system at one time....but I am in no way willing to give up my polks quite yet. They just sound too good for music. Plus, I bought them from some old guy who had way too many speakers and got a hell of a deal

intheflesh fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 27, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why would you worry about voice matching when you're substituting your nice speakers that you like for HTIB junk?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You dont think the polks have the oomph for blurays? You are going to replace them with some 2" poo poo drivers for more oomph?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm back to being crazy and all over the map. Was going to pull the trigger on the denon x1000, but then I'd be screwed if I got a 4k TV, right?

For the future proofer in me I think I'll just go with the x1100. Has all hdmi 2.0 ports.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 27, 2014

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I've started looking at buying a receiver and speakers to set up a 3.1 system in my apartment. I would like to keep everything under $1,000. Main use would be Netflix & music.

Not in a particular rush to buy a receiver, as I haven't started looking at speakers yet; but, I just saw Yamaha RX-V675 is on sale. From my limited knowledge this receiver seems to have the feature set I'm looking for. Anyone have experience with Yamaha receivers or input on this specific model?

Don't currently need 4k pass-through but I'll upgrade my TV in the next year or two and want that functionality. I'll also probably upgrade to 5.1 once I'm in a larger space.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

jfff posted:

I've started looking at buying a receiver and speakers to set up a 3.1 system in my apartment. I would like to keep everything under $1,000. Main use would be Netflix & music.

Not in a particular rush to buy a receiver, as I haven't started looking at speakers yet; but, I just saw Yamaha RX-V675 is on sale. From my limited knowledge this receiver seems to have the feature set I'm looking for. Anyone have experience with Yamaha receivers or input on this specific model?

Don't currently need 4k pass-through but I'll upgrade my TV in the next year or two and want that functionality. I'll also probably upgrade to 5.1 once I'm in a larger space.

Check the klipsch speakers that are half off at bestbuy, they would pair well with that yamaha.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jfff posted:

I have the 673 which is a 2 year old model at this point (675 was last years, 677 is the newest) and I love it. Fantastic problem free receiver. I personally highly recommend Yamaha and that's a great deal. I paid 349 back in the day for mine and considered it a great deal at the time. 299 for a 67x Yamaha is a no brainer.

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed

Don Lapre posted:

Check the klipsch speakers that are half off at bestbuy, they would pair well with that yamaha.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out when I can get into a Best Buy next week. Are the Klipsch bookshelf speakers decent? Unfortunately don't have room for floor-standing speakers.

skipdogg posted:

I have the 673 which is a 2 year old model at this point (675 was last years, 677 is the newest) and I love it. Fantastic problem free receiver. I personally highly recommend Yamaha and that's a great deal. I paid 349 back in the day for mine and considered it a great deal at the time. 299 for a 67x Yamaha is a no brainer.
Pulled the trigger, thanks.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

jfff posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out when I can get into a Best Buy next week. Are the Klipsch bookshelf speakers decent? Unfortunately don't have room for floor-standing speakers.

My friend bought the Klipsch icon series bookshelves from 5 years ago and I bought the same speakers as floorstanders. I actually think the bookshelves sound better. Mine are a little boomy for music.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

My dad wants to get a home theater system. He's got a Samsung tv that may get replaced in a year or two so having 4k pass through would be handy. He's got an Xfinity cable box, a WD Live box and a DVD player all of which connect via hdmi.

He is hoping not to have to run cables for the satellite speakers if possible. I'll guess AR a $1000 budget max for this. He also wants to get a bluray player.

We have seen the Vizio sound bar and a Sony HTC system with wireless satellites but he was griping about the weird wedge shape of the Sony box. There are loads of ways to do this and the sales are hot right now so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Alright, so I'm tossing together a movie/game 5.1 home theater system while trying not to break my bank account. Here's what I've initially decided on:

DENON AVR-X1000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Speaker
Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers (Pair)
Polk Audio OWM3 On-Wall Speakers (Pair)
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Any thoughts?

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 28, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Upgrade the sub to the Polk 505sw if you can. They just had a sale on them for like 160. I bought the psw10 when I first built my system and upgraded in a few months as the psw10 didn't cut it. Spend the extra it's worth it

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Would the Denon AVR-X2000 at $299 be a better deal than the AVR-X1100 at $329? I just picked up a pair of Monitor 70s and a CS2 Series II center channel to go with the PSW505 I bought a few weeks ago and the Energy bookshelves I already had for rear speakers.

In the meantime, I have to sell the Monitor 60s and the VSX-32 I currently have at my parent's. Costs way too much to ship those across the country.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Upgrade the sub to the Polk 505sw if you can. They just had a sale on them for like 160. I bought the psw10 when I first built my system and upgraded in a few months as the psw10 didn't cut it. Spend the extra it's worth it

Seconded.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

skipdogg posted:

KillHour posted:

Seconded.
Polk PSW505 Subwoofer it is. Hopefully I don't piss off my downstairs neighbors too badly with it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Random Hajile posted:

Polk PSW505 Subwoofer it is. Hopefully I don't piss off my downstairs neighbors too badly with it.

Atleast put it on an isolator pad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

drat, that's cheap. I'm tempted to buy a second one....

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Howdy,

I just picked up a Denon AVR-X2000, JBL ES20 bookshelfs, and a BIC America FH6-LCR. I ran the Audyssey setup, seemed fine. After finishing a movie on AppleTV, I put on iTunes Radio but only the right channel was producing sound. Any idea what would cause this?

edit: restarting the AppleTV (menu+down for 6 seconds) got it back to stereo mode for iTunes Radio. I don't suppose there is a way to get the center channel on for music?

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 29, 2014

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

CuddleChunks posted:

My dad wants to get a home theater system.

Have you considered either a 3.1 or a soundbar? Does he listen to music with the system?

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling, 6'10").

Also, that is an utility room behind the wall, so all of my equipment will be hidden with the use of a remote IR receiver. My other concern is that the speakers will technically by "in-wall" but there won't be any kind of encloser on the back end of the speaker. Should I make some kind of box to enclose them in on the back side for the sake of audio quality or will it not matter?

AzCoug fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 29, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

drat, that's cheap. I'm tempted to buy a second one....

I can highly recommend getting a second subwoofer. It really helps with flattening those room nodes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

Trying to figure out the best way to set this up. The yellow tape is a 65" TV while the green is a 60". I like the 65" better but I don't know if the center channel speaker at the bottom would be too close to the floor. It is about 19" off the floor to the center of the speaker. I could put it above the TV but didn't know if that would be too close to the ceiling and cause distortion etc (The top of that vent is basically the ceiling, 6'10").

Also, that is an utility room behind the wall, so all of my equipment will be hidden with the use of a remote IR receiver. My other concern is that the speakers will technically by "in-wall" but there won't be any kind of encloser on the back end of the speaker. Should I make some kind of box to enclose them in on the back side for the sake of audio quality or will it not matter?

You definitely should box them in inside the wall, otherwise half your sound will be sent to the other room. . Basically you need to build a speaker box. The center channel will be fine as long as nothing is blocking it. I would recommend in wall speakers that have an aimable tweeter as well.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

You definitely should box them in inside the wall, otherwise half your sound will be sent to the other room. . Basically you need to build a speaker box. The center channel will be fine as long as nothing is blocking it. I would recommend in wall speakers that have an aimable tweeter as well.

Unfortunately, none of my speakers are aimable.

Would putting the sub behind that wall be a bad thing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AzCoug posted:

Unfortunately, none of my speakers are aimable.

Would putting the sub behind that wall be a bad thing?

You should do the subwoofer crawl to determine where to place it.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Do people really place subwoofers in a different room than where the listening position is? I haven't seen that.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

Do people really place subwoofers in a different room than where the listening position is? I haven't seen that.

I was told by some tool that it didn't matter. "A sub is non-directional..."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It may be non-directional, but putting a wall between you and it will make a difference in the sound.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

So, I've got a pair of Micca MB42X bookshelf speakers sitting around, and I'm currently using awful onboard audio from my TV.

Considering picking up a receiver, center speaker and a powered sub for a 3.1 setup. Apartment, so I'm going for decent sound at medium/low volume. I'm assuming that a center channel will help tons with being able to watch movies at a reasonable volume without action scenes vs dialogue going to hell like it usually does.

Denon AVR-X1000 (or Onkyo TX-NR525 if that goes away too quickly)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1000/denon-avr-x1000-5.1-channel-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

Dayton Audio SUB-1200
http://amzn.com/B00669L3HS

Micca MB42X-C
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHFBEK6

Already have these speakers http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00E7H8GG2

e: I bought a Denon AVR-X2000 that was a crazy good deal.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Michael Scott posted:

Yes, kind of. I have seen custom builds where large tapped horn sub enclosures are in a different room, with a vent/outlet for the enclosure leading into the room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1301534-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn.html

Alas, this is another crazy bass fanatic who committed suicide.

Actually, I believe the original poster and the first to reply both killed themselves.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 30, 2014