Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

TheModernAmerican posted:

Maybe don't look away from the game when a problem that has happened to you multiple times in the past is about to happen again? You have to be aware of the game to play this game. This would be like me complaining about that one room in the depths where there is a spike one block away from the top and bottom door that single handedly killed a run of mine. It was entirely my fault, I'm not going to bitch about it and demand Nicalis add something that makes spikes not hurt you the first few seconds you're in a room.

So why make it so that the door to the next floor closes for a short time when you enter the room above it? I mean if you're just supposed to pay attention why would it matter? Also why is there a delay on other items that won't allow you to pick them up immediately as they spawn when you should just be paying attention?

This is such a weird design decision when compared to the mechanics of other things in the game that I don't get why somebody would argue for it staying the way it is. You're comparing an item drop to a room hazard.

edit: On another note. A reason for not using pills. First 4 pills I've used this game, speed down, health down, range down, tears down. :argh:

SuicideSnowman fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Even funnier is linked to this video is a guy using homing brimstone with tammys head. He walks into a room, presses space and everything dies.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

flatluigi posted:

There's absolutely no reason to die on the hill of 'make items spawn slightly later' and it's weird that you're so vehemently against it.

Because as far as I can tell the problem is "I stand here and refuse to adapt my behavior to the problem. Something must be done about this."

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

thank you

:getin:

Managed to do the Boss Rush and the Chest with Mom's Knife + Brimstone + Stopwatch. I found a dead cat in Utero 1 thank god, because the room right before ??? was a double Adversary. I went from 9 lives to 2.

All I have left now is Beans!, Suicide King, and to make a Super Bandage Girl and Meat Boy.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Because as far as I can tell the problem is "I stand here and refuse to adapt my behavior to the problem. Something must be done about this."

Multiple scenarios have been posted in this thread already where picking up an item would be unavoidable (exiting devil room, loading back into the game, etc).

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

Multiple scenarios have been posted in this thread already where picking up an item would be unavoidable (exiting devil room, loading back into the game, etc).

That's not what we're talking about though. I am specifically talking about being forced to pick up the negative/polaroid after the mom fight.

Returning to the game standing on top of an item is really bad. Standing on top of an item you know is about to spawn and have ample time to move away from as the boss is dying is your fault.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

That's not what we're talking about though. I am specifically talking about being forced to pick up the negative/polaroid after the mom fight.

Returning to the game standing on top of an item is really bad. Standing on top of an item you know is about to spawn and have ample time to move away from as the boss is dying is your fault.

That's also what the people you're arguing against - including the person you quoted - are talking about.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Maybe don't look away from the game when a problem that has happened to you multiple times in the past is about to happen again? You have to be aware of the game to play this game. This would be like me complaining about that one room in the depths where there is a spike one block away from the top and bottom door that single handedly killed a run of mine. It was entirely my fault, I'm not going to bitch about it and demand Nicalis add something that makes spikes not hurt you the first few seconds you're in a room.

also those rooms with spikes/red poop directly in front of the entrance are also stupid bullshit because the natural instinct is to move immediately and many times I've just taken free damage as a result of entering the room from the south and having the hazard actually visibly obscured by Isaac himself, it is a valid thing to complain about because it's dumb.

hth

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

flatluigi posted:

That's also what the people you're arguing against - including the person you quoted - are talking about.

Leaving a devil room or reloading the game is not the same thing as standing stock still after you killed mom.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

also those rooms with spikes/red poop directly in front of the entrance are also stupid bullshit because the natural instinct is to move immediately and many times I've just taken free damage as a result of entering the room from the south and having the hazard actually visibly obscured by Isaac himself, it is a valid thing to complain about because it's dumb.

hth

stand still for a quarter of a second when you're in the chest this is actually less of a problem because now bloat can't instantly hit you as you enter since its laser is higher

and once again the original complaint isn't a result of game design at all because hes just standing there and then getting mad when hes picked up the wrong item over and over

hth

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

stand still for a quarter of a second when you're in the chest this is actually less of a problem because now bloat can't instantly hit you as you enter since its laser is higher

It's not specifically The Chest, having spikes or red poop in front of a door happens in other floors. Red Poop in particular is just uncommon enough to gently caress you if you're rolling with a flying character because then you can soar free of the hazard of spikes directly in front of the door but you're not safe from red poop for...some reason?

arguing against bullshit by bringing up an example of different bullshit is not a great way to make your point, is what I'm getting at. Granted it's incredibly minor but I still don't like rooms with hazards directly in front of the door. It usually just cheapshots me when I'm flying through rooms I've already cleared, trying to go places. Or when entering from the south because you can't actually see the loving hazard.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The rooms with red poop surrounding the entrances should be removed because while they're not too much of an issue for normal tears, you can't avoid taking damage if you have Dr. Fetus or Ipecac.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Psychic Mom's knife is such bullshit.
The range gets increased because of the tracking properties of Spoon Bender but most of the time your intended target is too close so the knife will swing about like a high-pressure hose.

Still was fun.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Leaving a devil room or reloading the game is not the same thing as standing stock still after you killed mom.

and once again the original complaint isn't a result of game design at all because hes just standing there and then getting mad when hes picked up the wrong item over and over

hth

Stop being a loving idiot. I'm not just "standing there". There have been times when the point of the item spawning and mom's death have been nearly instantaneous so there was literally no time for me to move out of the way.
Perhaps it's explosions. Perhaps it's super damage. Perhaps it's a bug in the game because computer games sometimes do weird things on different computers but I can tell you with 100% certainty that there have been times when I've had less than a second to react to mom's death and the polaroid pickup.

Keep fighting for the good fight against a change that would not hurt you in the slightest though. :downsbravo:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dr. Fetus posted:

The rooms with red poop surrounding the entrances should be removed because while they're not too much of an issue for normal tears, you can't avoid taking damage if you have Dr. Fetus or Ipecac.

I sense an ulterior motive here, forums user Dr. Fetus.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I always choose Polaroid or negative before leaving the room and thus never have this issue. I would rather move the pedastal than have to wait though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wow I just learned that Bad Trip pills turn into Full Health if you are at 1 heart. I'm mad at myself for playing this game so much and yet not knowing that until now.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is that a thing? I was wondering why on one run I inexplicably became completely invincible.

It's a thing that lets you take one hit per room without taking damage. Exiting and continuing resets the effect.

Anyways, got this without resorting to it:

Satan killed me once, The Lamb about 5 times. Can't be sure cause I was so high on adrenaline.

Just the boss rush left and then I can forget about this character forever.

e: If someone for whatever weird reason wants to start their Lost run with a Holy Mantle from the first floor and the Dead Cat from the second (+ Goat Head + Lil' Brimstone + stuff), here's the seed:

SADN
KRSC

Wugga fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 27, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Unrelated, but ever since classic Isaac, I've always thought the most necessary gameplay change is making the gaps act as instant death for non-flying characters, rather than as walls. Please implement Ed

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Pick up the item you want before saving and quitting or entering the devil room. Don't stand in the middle of the room. These are two things that are easier to do than not do. I'd much rather them focus energy on tweaking rooms with required damage or that are literally unpassable with certain loadouts.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

SuicideSnowman posted:

Stop being a loving idiot. I'm not just "standing there". There have been times when the point of the item spawning and mom's death have been nearly instantaneous so there was literally no time for me to move out of the way.
Perhaps it's explosions. Perhaps it's super damage. Perhaps it's a bug in the game because computer games sometimes do weird things on different computers but I can tell you with 100% certainty that there have been times when I've had less than a second to react to mom's death and the polaroid pickup.

Keep fighting for the good fight against a change that would not hurt you in the slightest though. :downsbravo:

Keep getting really mad about a thing that could be solved by you moving an inch to the left.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jibo posted:

Pick up the item you want before saving and quitting or entering the devil room. Don't stand in the middle of the room. These are two things that are easier to do than not do. I'd much rather them focus energy on tweaking rooms with required damage or that are literally unpassable with certain loadouts.

Let's be realistic here: this is not a change that's going to involve weeks of careful testing and debugging. They can do both.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Mechanic bad, could be worse, maybe the devs will fix it? I think everyone made valid points and this fascinating topic could perhaps be put to rest?

When you really think about it the whole polaroid/negative "fate" thing isn't that awesome and doesn't really add much to the game anyway, just make it that you can't access Chest/Dark if you skip mom or something? I don't know.

I still didn't get to play with Ludo + Brimstone or Brimstone + Spoon bender. I'm actually a bit disappointed, I could do super damage brimstone lasers in the original game as well you know.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

They specifically talked about a two second pause or some other solution for those mom items in that hour long interview posted earlier. It will most likely make its way into the expansion but it seems out of the scope of what they want to do with base game updates.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

They specifically talked about a two second pause or some other solution for those mom items in that hour long interview posted earlier. It will most likely make its way into the expansion but it seems out of the scope of what they want to do with base game updates.

Really? A two-second spawning time tweak--what is that, a single line of code that says "wait(200);"?--seems "out of the scope of what they want to do with base-game updates"? That's the second-most minor thing I can possibly think of. Are you implicitly saying that patches will be limited entirely to "[item]'s [stat] has been slightly [increased/decreased]"? Because I literally cannot think of anything else that is compatible with a scope that tiny.

That's... I mean, I want to clarify that I'm not angry here, this is a thing that's never affected me at all, it's just... that's weird as hell and I'd like to know what's up.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Uhh okay so I finally got Godhead* and Platinum God/Real Platinum God aren't popping even though they should be? Do you have to beat Dark Room/Chest on hard with every character or something in addition to all items/secrets/endings?

*First Angel Room was Lazarus' Rags, rerolled that and the Key Piece into Trinity Shield + Holy Mantle), second Angel Room had a Wafer and I just took that and had a Sharp Plug + lots of health so I rerolled the Key Piece 9 times for it =D

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Also triple shot + ipecac + godhead is ridiculous and just erases stuff in a line.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Uhh okay so I finally got Godhead* and Platinum God/Real Platinum God aren't popping even though they should be? Do you have to beat Dark Room/Chest on hard with every character or something in addition to all items/secrets/endings?

*First Angel Room was Lazarus' Rags, rerolled that and the Key Piece into Trinity Shield + Holy Mantle), second Angel Room had a Wafer and I just took that and had a Sharp Plug + lots of health so I rerolled the Key Piece 9 times for it =D

Uh, wait, you got Godhead by using lots of health to reroll things with the D6?

EDIT: Oh, I'm dumb. Right. Unlock it with the Lost, get it with Isaac in an Angel Room. Duh.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
I finally made a super meat boy
Someone kill me

I re rolled until the first item room had pyromaniac, saved money until I bought the habit, and then farmed one of those 5 bomb fly rooms for d6 recharges until I got epic fetus. That made rerolling the next floors item for monster manual easy.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
DDJK KQQ1 starts next to a curse room with Dead Cat + Goat Head if anyone wants a flying start with The Lost. Go 2 down first if you want a bomb for the stone chest in there.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 28, 2014

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Power of Pecota posted:

Do you have only 2 achievements to go?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Monstro's lung + Cricket's body + Proptosis + Death's touch + a few damage ups = a room-covering explosion with a short charge time.

I would walk into a room, fire, and it looked like my screen covered in static, and when it cleared everything was dead and items were on the ground. Killed Isaac and ??? in 3 shots each.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just got my first Mega Satan kill on my second try. I know it's been said over and over but it should really unlock something. It's the most unique boss fight in the game and you don't get poo poo for it. Not even an icon on the post it note to see what characters you've done it on.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I have 10 items left in this game and more than half of those are from the god drat secret room pool. What the hell is with the extremely low item drop rate from that. I guess the best thing to do is blow up the guy in the middle or hope to fight Greed and get rerolls? Ugh.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For secret rooms I just put on a movie in one half of the screen and the game in the other. Go Isaac and bomb the wall of the first room you are in. If you don't get a secret room or the secret room doesnt have an item then restart. The D6 gives you an extra chance if you get the wrong item. Theres more efficient ways to do it but this is pretty mindless and simple.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Guillotine is sub-soy milk garbage

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Do you have only 2 achievements to go?

Yep - idk what else to even try.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Pwnstar posted:

For secret rooms I just put on a movie in one half of the screen and the game in the other. Go Isaac and bomb the wall of the first room you are in. If you don't get a secret room or the secret room doesnt have an item then restart. The D6 gives you an extra chance if you get the wrong item. Theres more efficient ways to do it but this is pretty mindless and simple.

Man that's awful. But I've come this far, I might as well do it.

I guess the best way for Steven is just Azazel until the boss pops up then kill the big guy last? Does There's Options work on him? It would be rare to get that and the boss anyway though.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Unrelated, but ever since classic Isaac, I've always thought the most necessary gameplay change is making the gaps act as instant death for non-flying characters, rather than as walls. Please implement Ed

That's an awful idea based on how knockback works in this game. Would instantly render many rooms more dangerous than the enemies it contains and toss the balance off the game's axis.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Kawalimus posted:

Man that's awful. But I've come this far, I might as well do it.

I guess the best way for Steven is just Azazel until the boss pops up then kill the big guy last? Does There's Options work on him? It would be rare to get that and the boss anyway though.

There's Options with bosses with guaranteed drops just gives a random boss item for the second one, not another item from their pool. I've had it for horsemen and you don't get Ball of Bandages + Cube of Meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
First time having a good chance with ???. And then I find this, so hard to resist...What to do?