Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So...maybe Raava really did decide she wants out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, they can't exactly establish her as the first gay avatar and then kill her. That would be rude.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
At most she's bi. I mean come on, you think she was attracted to Mako for his personality?

Incidentally, while I do think it would be pretty interesting if Korra actually had a thing for Asami, it's way too late to set something like that up and not make it feel really artificial.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

The Sharmat posted:

At most she's bi. I mean come on, you think she was attracted to Mako for his personality?

Wood isn't that bad.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, they can't exactly establish her as the first gay avatar and then kill her. That would be rude.

Actually wouldn't she be the last gay avatar, then? :v:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mazreal posted:

korra will out-debate kuvira into standing down and a more enlightened wu will rule benevolently. heh.

It'd be great if they go through the whole formal process of crowning Wu, and then he goes "It's good to be king, but times have changed. Elections this time next year, winner gets to run the country while I maintain the royal mystique!"

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The Sharmat posted:

Incidentally, while I do think it would be pretty interesting if Korra actually had a thing for Asami, it's way too late to set something like that up and not make it feel really artificial.

When this happened on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, nobody piped up with "Padohka" or "rear end-me".

This is more contact than Korra and Asami have basically had, the idea of Korasami is ridiculous (even saying that is ridiculous) and you're right, there's no time at all to set something like that up. The fact that some of these people on this thread still believe it possible is beyond me. Perverts can't differentiate between friendship and lesbianism.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Guessing from the next episode preview and the season trailer, this is where Korra explores the underground vine ruins in Republic City?

How soon until she goes back into the spirit world?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Every time Ravane talks about perverts and lesbians I read it in this guy's voice

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ravane posted:

When this happened on Star Wars: The Clone Wars, nobody piped up with "Padohka" or "rear end-me".
Well I mean that ship was sunk in the harbor, Padakin is canon as all hell

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Ravane posted:

Have you seen the Bariss/Ahsoka shippers out there? Now that is quality competition for Korrasami!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Cartoons are not pushing a gay agenda you weirdos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

I don't really agree with the reading but you do know characters can be gay in fiction without it being some spooky 'gay agenda', right?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know, but I honestly don't think fans of Korra are mature enough to watch a show with a gay character without making everything about the gay agenda (see: every page of this thread). Like how Frozen is about coming out to these weirdos, as soon as Korra becomes gay the spirit world becomes Fire Island, Raava becomes her first gay lover and Unalock is her father/the church/Republicans. The craziness will never end.

The show's about what its about, and its not about the struggle of gays in 21st century America.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Squidward is gay.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

I know, but I honestly don't think fans of Korra are mature enough to watch a show with a gay character without making everything about the gay agenda (see: every page of this thread). Like how Frozen is about coming out to these weirdos, as soon as Korra becomes gay the spirit world becomes Fire Island, Raava becomes her first gay lover and Unalock is her father/the church/Republicans. The craziness will never end.

The show's about what its about, and its not about the struggle of gays in 21st century America.

"These fuckin gays, imirite?"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Could you cite your sources as to people actually claiming this

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Just imagine though...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

There's a pretty legitimate argument to be made that Frozen, intentionally or no, has something meaningful to gay people and it is pretty reasonable to read it as being about coming out. That isn't even a wide stretch or anything, it's a fairly base-level subtext reading. You may not agree with that specific reading but it isn't an invalid one or even particularly a stretch.

"The show is what it is about" isn't something as easily defined as you think. There are many things which are subtext or alternate readings which are entirely valid. You don't need to go Supermechagodzilla on this, especially for something made by a wide number of people. I don't think Korra is going for gay subtext but there are plenty of arguments to be made, for example, about what its politics are saying.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

There's a pretty legitimate argument to be made that Frozen, intentionally or no, has something meaningful to gay people and it is pretty reasonable to read it as being about coming out.

You could literally read Frozen to be about having acne and it would fit just as well. My point is that once the gay issue is introduced, people run with it without regard to what the media is actually about. So let's not go down that road with Korra.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

You could literally read Frozen to be about having acne and it would fit just as well. My point is that once the gay issue is introduced, people run with it without regard to what the media is actually about. So let's not go down that road with Korra.

Or, you could just not go down the road of extrapolating excessive theoretical posts on the subject that you dislike before the thread has posted anything of the sort.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have no loving clue what Irish Joe is talking about.

Is it something about queer people latching onto any sort of representation? Yeah, of course we loving do, there's barely any of it at all, ya' hetlord.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pomp posted:

I have no loving clue what Irish Joe is talking about.

That's probably a sign of good mental health, to be honest.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Once again, whoever it was that said this to me last time this topic came up is dead on. Relationships are handled horribly in this show why would you even want to see another one?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Only homophobes use 'gay agenda' unironically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Only homophobes use 'gay agenda' unironically.
Perfunctory text here so this isn't emptyquoting.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I want the show to push this "gay agenda" since I would like some clarification on what that is tyvm

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Can it just be pointed out for the record that, once again, no one here was actually gushing for Korra and Asami to be gay or bi and that it's the shitposters calling folks perverts and weirdos for even entertaining queer representation that have dragged this topic back up?

Seriously what is it about this thread that attracts the shittiest posters?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I wish there was a gay agenda in this show. Gays are cool and good.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Squidward is gay.

Spongebob, and Patrick, are also gay.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Seriously what is it about this thread that attracts the shittiest posters?

It's probably because of the lovely thread title.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
True.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Android Blues posted:

Spongebob, and Patrick, are also gay.
Mr Krabs is straight though.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I honestly just want Korra and Asami to get together because they're more appealing to me as characters together than most of the main cast.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

TheModernAmerican posted:

Once again, whoever it was that said this to me last time this topic came up is dead on. Relationships are handled horribly in this show why would you even want to see another one?

Weirdly enough, I said this.

Irish Joe posted:

I honestly don't think fans of Korra are mature enough to watch a show with a gay character without making everything about the gay agenda (see: every page of this thread). Like how Frozen is about coming out to these weirdos, as soon as Korra becomes gay the spirit world becomes Fire Island, Raava becomes her first gay lover and Unalock is her father/the church/Republicans. The craziness will never end.

hangedman1984 posted:

"These fuckin gays, imirite?"

Irish Joe posted:

I honestly don't think fans of Korra are mature enough to watch a show with a gay character.

Every time something is posted that says the show does not have a gay character, people in this thread think the people saying this are anti-gay. Nobody here is anti-gay.

Pomp posted:

Is it something about queer people latching onto any sort of representation? Yeah, of course we loving do, there's barely any of it at all, ya' hetlord.

Anti-bullying commercials carry a statement that applies to all people regardless of color and sexual identity. Just because that statement applies to gay people, doesn't make the commercial about gay people.

When Elsa from Frozen sings Let it Go, particularly:

"Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know!"

This is not about coming out of the closet. You can apply it to coming out of the closet; maybe for you coming out as having magical ice powers and coming out as being gay is the exact same thing, especially if you're a gay ice sculptor. But the movie is still about her having revealed her ice powers to her kingdom.

All this poo poo about subtext that you post is 100% bullshit. You can't just make up subtext.

Just because a movie isn't pro-gay doesn't mean it's anti-gay, this is something necessary for you to understand. You don't need to force something to be gay, just to support your beliefs, that's doing exactly what the anti-gay movement is doing. The Princess and the Frog had the first Black disney princess; it doesn't mean every disney movie before that was anti-black. And you didn't see black people try to adopt Aladdin as their pseudo-black hero!

The point is that the movie is completely on the nose, there's no subtleties or vagueness in the story it's telling. Korra is completely blatant about what it's doing, and you attempting to force Korra to be gay, doesn't do anything for the gay community. It's all just banter supported from a position of weakness, and it doesn't help that you are too stubborn to actually see the truth.

There are other shows with gay people, it's great that more gay actors and gay characters are appearing on tv but attempting to change the ones that are already decidedly straight is just hypocrisy. The gay movement is about acceptance, not imposition. Korra is not gay; accept that she is straight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ravane posted:

This is not about coming out of the closet. You can apply it to coming out of the closet; maybe for you coming out as having magical ice powers and coming out as being gay is the exact same thing, especially if you're a gay ice sculptor. But the movie is still about her having revealed her ice powers to her kingdom.

All this poo poo about subtext that you post is 100% bullshit. You can't just make up subtext.

Like, this is just ridiculous even if you're not talking about Frozen. "Fictional thing standing in for real thing" is a thing that has existed basically since fiction started.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Let's just take everything at face value. Did our Lord Jesus ever talk in metaphers and similar bullshit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Let's just take everything at face value. Did our Lord Jesus ever talk in metaphers and similar bullshit?

Look, all I'm saying is that Animal Farm is a book about animals taking over the farm. I don't get where you're getting all this other bullshit from.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Frozen is super easy to read as a coming out story. I don't know why some people are so resistant to the idea of subtext but it's really annoying to deal with like climate change deniers or people who don't accept evolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I think the idea is that stories like Frozen are more broadly about accepting yourself for who you are. It's a very general theme that can be applied to specific things like homosexuality, race, or what have you. But some people extrapolate a more specific theme, such as coming out as a homosexual. They impose that specific interpretation as the definitive meaning of the fictional work, even when there is virtually no evidence the work of fiction is meant to show that specific an idea. That's the problem I'm seeing. For what it's worth, I would personally love to see LGBTQ characters on kids shows, but I really think it's a reach to call Korra or Frozen an example of it.

• Locked thread