Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
hmmm

you only see the back supported by a stand for half a second

i

wonder

why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

a macbook pro (even a macbook air with 12+ hours of battery) still beats the poo poo out of everything the surface does including "running windows 8"

yeah but can it do this? *smudges a meaty finger across the screen to design print campaign materials*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
which is worse: google/apple twee ukelele + glockenspiel music, or msft trying to be in da club?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Elder Postsman posted:

maybe it was a MacBook Air. idk. I wasn't paying very close attention. the two (air and pro I mean ) are v similar though.

lol if you cant tell a mba from a mbp by the bezel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FMguru posted:

which is worse: google/apple twee ukelele + glockenspiel music, or msft trying to be in da club?

say what you will but the ie commercials were great entertainment

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Virion posted:

were they infomercial-style commercials of people trying to load modern websites in ie 6 and being incredibly frustrated when the page didn't render properly (fade to b&w horrified face on non-threatening minority computer user)

thats what i would have done to get people to upgrade throw money at me ms

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the only ie commercial i can think of is that anime one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beeftweeter posted:

were they infomercial-style commercials of people trying to load modern websites in ie 6 and being incredibly frustrated when the page didn't render properly (fade to b&w horrified face on non-threatening minority computer user)

thats what i would have done to get people to upgrade throw money at me ms

that would have been entertaining and gone viral so of course instead they made a dubstep one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOaE4MV5IcM

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Virion posted:

lmao are you talking about the embarassing dubstep ones that aired a few years ago

edit: yea that one

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also they only ran the last half of the commercial

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the only ie commercial that matters is the magical girl one :colbert:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Virion posted:

that would have been entertaining and gone viral so of course instead they made a dubstep one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOaE4MV5IcM

thats a good song though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

in outlook for mac lols i installed the latest version, it walks you through the process to activate it with your office 365 account but doesnt actually add the account to outlook - literally the first run wizard is only to activate it and set it as the default mail reader. once you've done that and stared at a completely empty screen for a bit you then have to go into the preferences and add the account, which looks exactly like it did in outlook 2011 and still pops up a warning that the autodiscover is being redirected.

oh and its been 4 years since outlook 2011 and shared calendars all display in the same colour, you cant view the global address list (only search it), or edit distribution group members.

what a clown show.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
can you even use outlook for mac without office 365?

i still have a school account that uses outlook.com so it works with some office 365 poo poo but not others (like word, excel, etc)

there is absolutely no way i am paying a sub for office though

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kirk posted:

also if i hear "but legacy apps" one more time i'm going to turn into a crow and fly away

if you are using legacy windows apps on a touchscreen device you are a fool child who doesn't know how to do their job in a non-retard manner

i.e., a middle manager or c-level exec. they'll love the idea of using their lovely enterprise software on a tablet, and the company selling the enterprise software will gladly sell them on ~windows tablet supoort~ since the porting effort is trivial if your disgusting decades-old mess of software functions at least a little bit on windows 8

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beeftweeter posted:

can you even use outlook for mac without office 365?

this version of outlook im pretty sure cant be obtained any other way than with an office 365 sub.

yup: http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/31/new-outlook-mac-available-office-365-customers/

office 365 only, cant set itself up. microsoft.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Thanks Ants posted:

this version of outlook im pretty sure cant be obtained any other way than with an office 365 sub.

yup: http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/31/new-outlook-mac-available-office-365-customers/

office 365 only, cant set itself up. microsoft.

huh, apparently my old school account (that should have been deactivated years ago lol) lets me install office 2011 and the new outlook :gowron:

or at least thats what it says. let me download and see if it goes "lol oops you cant do that"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

safari running owa is more functional

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so it let me install and activate it but it cant get my email for that account lmao

i know it still works because i have it set up as an exchange account on my ios stuff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

installed emet on this laptop with win10, enabled dep and sehop because they were set to opt in, reboot and I once again have to enter the bitlocker recovery key because reasons?????

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

loool

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
nevermind i got it to work by manually setting the server to "outlook.office365.com" (thanks iphone. thankphone)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah lol at microsoft, imagine them not giving a poo poo about their products on mac

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

yeah lol at microsoft, imagine them not giving a poo poo about their products on mac

get out valeyard

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

safari running owa is more functional

yeah but owa is made by servers and tools or w/e it's called now ie the okay part of microsoft*

*probably not okay

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Valeyard posted:

yeah lol at microsoft, imagine them not giving a poo poo about their products

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

get out valeyard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
don't worry if you Bing It On all this month you can get $5 off Official Microsoft Apparel from the Official Online Microsoft Merchandise Store

you could get a minuscule amount of money off of excellent products like this fashionable Three Color Stripe Polo Black

(3XL all sold out, but don't worry, its On Order For You)

(only $39.95!!!)

if stripes are Too Flashy For You you can also get this considerably cheaper Official Microsoft Event Polo!!!

(4XL Going Fast!!!)

it has several features like: Blue, Fades In Wash

Feeling Sassy Today? try the Geek No Comment Tee Red

(sizes 3XL and up Not Sassy Enough)

For The Ladies, there's always the classic Surface Lds Tri-Blend Tee Gray/Char. Show the boys you Appreciate A Nice Kickstand ;) ;) ;)

(2XL Almost Gone!!!!)

Want to tell Dad you would rather play video games instead of going outside??? Now you can wiht the XBOX Youth I Dont Camp Tee Ash

Only $1 if you Bing It On!!!! (shipping charges not included)

Do you mumble or speak softly around others?? Now you can explain with the Geek Computer Whisperer Tee Rd

(17 year old movie reference At No Charge)

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 27, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

(2XL Almost Gone!!!!)

I like this, sucks about the microsoft branding.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I like this, sucks about the microsoft branding.

i was actually going to say the same thing in a spoiler but decided against it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
a friend of mine spent a ton of money, like enough for 2 macbook airs, on a top spec surface pro 3

I can tell he's bummed by how bad it is

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
"it feels like I am just too close to love you" is a really bad lyric

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Main Paineframe posted:

i.e., a middle manager or c-level exec. they'll love the idea of using their lovely enterprise software on a tablet, and the company selling the enterprise software will gladly sell them on ~windows tablet supoort~ since the porting effort is trivial if your disgusting decades-old mess of software functions at least a little bit on windows 8

c-level execs don't gently caress around on computers, they talk to people and other people gently caress around on computers for them

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
and every c-level guy I've met through my job uses an ipad

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

it director at my last job convinced the cio to ditch his laptop a few months ago for a surface pro 2. click in, do more

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Amethyst posted:

a friend of mine spent a ton of money, like enough for 2 macbook airs

macbooks air

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ugh so much polyester

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Kirk posted:

those people make so much more money than you lol

looked this up so i could be all snarky at you

http://www.glassdoor.com/GD/Salary/Microsoft-Salaries-E1651.htm?filter.jobTitleFTS=market

lmao gently caress everything

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FMguru posted:

the samsung "definition of mediocrity music" commercials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Thanks Ants posted:

in outlook for mac lols i installed the latest version, it walks you through the process to activate it with your office 365 account but doesnt actually add the account to outlook - literally the first run wizard is only to activate it and set it as the default mail reader. once you've done that and stared at a completely empty screen for a bit you then have to go into the preferences and add the account, which looks exactly like it did in outlook 2011 and still pops up a warning that the autodiscover is being redirected.

i didnt have this issue when i selected "work account" or whatever on the installer

i showed it to a friend who set it up with his "microsoft account" and promptly ran into the same issue

im glad we finally have an outlook on mac that syncs i guess???

• Locked thread