Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

CommieGIR posted:

So, yes, you acknowledge science has nothing to do with religion regardless of the religion of the scientist. Got it.

Does this mean you understand that Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive? Are you even capable of admitting you were wrong?

Who What Now posted:

This is a really nice sounding and trite little platitude but science and religion are mutually exclusive because one deals with a materialistic universe, assessing probabilities, and making predictions and the other deals with the ephemeral and makes only proclamations.

Who What Now, this is the statement I take issues with. I'm not putting words in your mouth when I said that Religion has absolutely no problems with the other and Religion does not "make only proclamations"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Antimatter, moron.

That's not actually what antimatter is. :ssh:

down with slavery posted:

I've already posted at length about my issues with materialism as an ideology in this thread, and as I said previously, I'm happy to defend the ideas elsewhere because this really isn't the thread to dive into metaphysics, which is where we're heading.

Fair enough, although I'd be willing to defend my position.

Again, I didn't understand what you meant by "materialistic". I told you I made a mistake and was wrong. What words did I add to your claim exactly?

That atheism is necessarily materialistic.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

Probably not, because you'll redefine God to mean whatever you want in order to "win" the argument.

I didn't say they don't believe in God or Jesus, I said they don't claim those beliefs are falsifiable. As usual with this dense crew, there is a difference. Maybe just try not putting words in my mouth for like 2 posts.

You said that any real theologian has 'moved passed that point', which I rather doubt is true (and is also a fallacious broad brush statement, but whatever).

Also, do you have examples of religions with no central deities?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Exactly. Learn to take a joke, homestuck worshipper.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Who What Now posted:

That atheism is necessarily materialistic.

Perhaps you'd like to point out where I said that? I actually claimed the opposite, I'm an atheist who isn't a materialist... so?

The Ender posted:

You said that any real theologian has 'moved passed that point', which I rather doubt is true (and is also a fallacious broad brush statement, but whatever).

Any theologian worth listening to imo.

quote:

Also, do you have examples of religions with no central deities?

There are sects of pretty much every major religion(they are generally small, but they exist) but I think Taoism and Buddhism is where you're going to find most of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Who What Now, this is the statement I take issues with. I'm not putting words in your mouth when I said that Religion has absolutely no problems with the other and Religion does not "make only proclamations"

Religion by itself can only make proclamations, though. Religious people can use science to test and make predictions, and the religion can change to incorporate that information to survive in a better educated world, but religion did not take part in the scientific process, it merely reacted to it.

Oil(religion) may float on top of water(science), and will even rise when more water is added, but the two never mix.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

I dunno. Orthodox Jews are pretty easy to troll.

All you have to do is type 'Yahweh' over and over and their heads explode.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Its weird how atheists are always the ones who are super uptight and serious in these threads. Its no nonsense all the time- chomping at the bit to lay some pwnage down on the simple minded.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Religion by itself can only make proclamations, though. Religious people can use science to test and make predictions, and the religion can change to incorporate that information to survive in a better educated world, but religion did not take part in the scientific process, it merely reacted to it.

Oil(religion) may float on top of water(science), and will even rise when more water is added, but the two never mix.

Again, this is just wrong. The institution of Religion has been a major player in the scientific process many times. Religion is inclusive of science, no matter how many times you scream and stamp your feet.

Miltank posted:

Its weird how atheists are always the ones who are super uptight and serious in these threads. Its no nonsense all the time- chomping at the bit to lay some pwnage down on the simple minded.

The thing that kills me is that I am an atheist and they're so worked up they have to fight the statement "science and religion aren't mutually exclusive" to the death when it's about the least contentious point I could make.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The fact that people can get degrees in theology is like the idea that people can get degrees in anime. It's really hilarious.

No one has actually argued against how much more efficient it is to worship the accumulation of wealth than to worship some jackass staring in an ant farm.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nintendo Kid posted:

Exactly. Learn to take a joke, homestuck worshipper.

"A joke in response to a joke?! Preposterous!"-Fishmech

Perhaps you'd like to point out where I said that? I actually claimed the opposite, I'm an atheist who isn't a materialist... so?

I suppose I was confused by your non-sequitur then, because it clearly looked like you were implying that I said atheism was a necessary component of materialism. You have a very bad habit of equating things you shouldn't.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

There are sects of pretty much every major religion(they are generally small, but they exist) but I think Taoism and Buddhism is where you're going to find most of it.

Have you ever studied either Taoism or Buddhism? I mean, the names of the central deities are right there in the titles of the religions (Buddha is an anthro figure like Jesus, Tao / Dao / Te is a nebulous deity & spiritual concept like God or the Holy Spirit).

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I suppose I was confused by your non-sequitur then, because it clearly looked like you were implying that I said atheism was a necessary component of materialism. You have a very bad habit of equating things you shouldn't.

Hmm, so you're confused and I'm the one who has a bad habit of equating things? I didn't equate anything, you did. I'm sorry but if lack the intellectual capacity to keep up with what I'm saying, please don't accuse me of putting words in your mouth, especially when I've explicitly written the exact opposite not four posts ago.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Again, this is just wrong. The institution of Religion has been a major player in the scientific process many times. Religion is inclusive of science, no matter how many times you scream and stamp your feet.

Religious people, yes. Religion, no. And no matter how big of a temper-tantrum or how many times you call us big doody heads for pointing out the distinction to you will change that. Sorry, sport.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

The Ender posted:

Have you ever studied either Taoism or Buddhism? I mean, the names of the central deities are right there in the titles of the religions (Buddha is an anthro figure like Jesus, Tao / Dao / Te is a nebulous deity & spiritual concept like God or the Holy Spirit).

That is not what Tao means. Like I said, you'll stretch to turn whatever into "God" but here, have some light reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao

Who What Now posted:

Religious people, yes. Religion, no. And no matter how big of a temper-tantrum or how many times you call us big doody heads for pointing out the distinction to you will change that. Sorry, sport.

What about Religious organizations that fund scientific experiments? Do you understand that the institution of "Religion" is absolutely massive and you're painting with a giant brush?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Ender posted:

There are several Buddhists sects that maintain that Buddah was only a man who reached true enlightenment, and who is someone to be respected and emulated, but had no supernatural or otherworldly powers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Your entire life is not a response to this thread.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

Miltank posted:

Yeah, all posting messages on a message board and poo poo. Bunch of losers.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

What kind of joke was that? this is a comedy website dude, at least take a swing at it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm sorry but if lack the intellectual capacity to keep up with what I'm saying,

Says the poster who didn't understand what materialistic meant.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

What about Religious organizations that fund scientific experiments? Do you understand that the institution of "Religion" is absolutely massive and you're painting with a giant brush?

Doesn't make their theology any more important to the research other than the dollars that funded the study. That's about it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't make their theology any more important to the research other than the dollars that funded the study. That's about it.

What is your point? Mine is that Religion is involved in Science and therefore Science is not exclusive from Religion, bringing me back to my original point, Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. Did you enjoy the ride?

Who What Now posted:

Says the poster who didn't understand what materialistic meant.

Hey at least I had the balls to admit it. Part of debate and discussion means actually accepting that you don't have all the answers some times. You're the one accusing me of saying things when I said the complete opposite.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

What about them? Contributing money to scientific endeavors does not make one a scientist any more than donating to the Red Cross makes one a doctor.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

quote:

That is not what Tao means. Like I said, you'll stretch to turn whatever into "God" but here, have some light reading:

quote:

"the One, which is natural, spontaneous, eternal, nameless, and indescribable. It is at once the beginning of all things and the way in which all things pursue their course."

But whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What is your point? Mine is that Religion is involved in Science and therefore Science is not exclusive from Religion, bringing me back to my original point, Science and Religion are not mutually exclusive. Did you enjoy the ride?

Because the religion of the individual or entity donating money to a scientific endeavor has no bearing on the end product.

The Ender posted:

But whatever.

So does that make Taoism like Agnosticism?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

The Ender posted:

But whatever.

Yes, there are multiple ways to interpret the concept. Note that you had to go to the article on Taoism and take the summary paragraph on Tao instead of using the article on Tao that I provided you which has a more much nuanced view.

It really sucks that you guys are more interested in winning arguments than actually having an interesting discussion.

CommieGIR posted:

Because the religion of the individual or entity donating money to a scientific endeavor has no bearing on the end product.

Religion is a social institution, not an attribute on a D&D character sheet

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

So does that make Taoism like Agnosticism?

The essence of Tao is not meaningfully different from God, or Thetans, or The Force, or any other hardly-coherent supernatural concept that is supposedly the true core of the universe that can only be perceived by those who worship the exclusive codifications long enough.

I feel it's worth mentioning that Taoist boxers during the boxer rebellion thought that honing their bodies to this great universal energy would render them immune to western weaponry / bullets.

It didn't turn out so well for them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

This is a really strange to say considering say, the results from mormon "archaelogists" especially before the 80s.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is a really strange to say considering say, the results from mormon "archaelogists" especially before the 80s.

Most of that was twisting actual archaeological finds into "You see, this supports our claims" instead of conducting actual archaeology with that express purpose. You had the NWAF established by BYU to try to 'prove the Book of Mormon over and over, although their actual finds were found to be useful to normal archeology, but not their claims. To that end, its still just as highly controversial as Biblical Archaeology.

At the same time, you still have a lot of religious institutions doing the same thing with digs in Israel/Palestine and other Middle Eastern states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_and_the_Book_of_Mormon

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 28, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Click the "?" under my name and get a load of all the seriousness.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Miltank posted:

I have never once been serious in this thread.

You seem to have a serious problem with atheists, would you like to talk about it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

SedanChair posted:

I had this idea first, back of jerk! :argh:

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Most of that was twisting actual archaeological finds into "You see, this supports our claims" instead of conducting actual archaeology with that express purpose You had the NWAF established by BYU to try to 'prove the Book of Mormon over and over. To that end, its still just as highly controversial as Biblical Archaeology.

At the same time, you still have a lot of religious institutions doing the same thing with digs in Israel/Palestine and other Middle Eastern states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_and_the_Book_of_Mormon

Didnn't the Mormons end-up either inadvertently or intentionally destroying a bunch of mummified remains in their pursuit to 'prove' the American heritage of Jesus?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Ender posted:

Didnn't the Mormons end-up either inadvertently or intentionally destroying a bunch of mummified remains in their pursuit to 'prove' the American heritage of Jesus?

I had not heard that, but not outside the realm of possibilities. I know a couple Muslim holy sites and burial sites were destroyed by Biblical Archaeologists to reach the tombs and graves of Christians underneath.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I did it. Now hang on a drat minute:

quote:

people who believe that Teresa was anything other than a death fetishist who felt a thrill in her clitoris when a starving old man checked out looking into her eyes. But she was so famous!

You take that back!

Theresa was a legit good thief. It wasn't just all talk.

EDIT: I mean, sure, running a sham orphanage organization isn't that big a deal. Even the most amateur of con artists could do that, especially with the backing of the RCC.

But the girl deserves some credit for being able to scam the Savings & Loans scammers out of their coin and then just smiling and waving as they got hauled off to jail and she pocketed the funds.

poo poo was smooth.

The Ender fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 28, 2014

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Wow kyrie seems insane. Get help dude

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
People bitch when we make jokes about religion and then they bitch when we don't. Can't win, I tells ya.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Ender posted:

I feel it's worth mentioning that Taoist boxers during the boxer rebellion thought that honing their bodies to this great universal energy would render them immune to western weaponry / bullets.

It didn't turn out so well for them.
What ideology do you believe was represented by the opposing forces to the Boxer Rebellion?

Do you think those opposing forces are correct? If so, is it because of their adherence to a materialistic viewpoint, or is it purely because they were more powerful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Ender posted:

I did it. Now hang on a drat minute:

You take that back!

Theresa was a legit good thief. It wasn't just all talk.

EDIT: I mean, sure, running a sham orphanage organization isn't that big a deal. Even the most amateur of con artists could do that, especially with the backing of the RCC.

But the girl deserves some credit for being able to scam the Savings & Loans scammers out of their coin and then just smiling and waving as they got hauled off to jail and she pocketed the funds.

poo poo was smooth.

conceded

• Locked thread