Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay so how difficult is this game? Like...I've said it before, but I found FC3 to be incredibly easy, even on the difficulty setting they added after release. Since FC4 is so similar to FC3, I have the feeling that it's similarly easy, yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Buzzsaw is pure :hellyeah:, I can see myself using it quite a bit in 'gently caress it, go loud' missions. I know it's a loving hand-carried MG42, but the way it moves and how fast it reloads...

reload? :confused:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Okay so how difficult is this game? Like...I've said it before, but I found FC3 to be incredibly easy, even on the difficulty setting they added after release. Since FC4 is so similar to FC3, I have the feeling that it's similarly easy, yeah?

I have to confess that "Normal" difficulty, most of the time when I've died it's been because of finicky button shenanigans (not jumping or leaping when I needed to), or stupid poo poo like getting run over or crushed by something arbitrary and unavoidable. I've made it a bit harder on myself not making use of anything but hunting syringes thus far so I can take down outposts a hell of a lot easier, and find alarms (seriously, why even include the camera save for the QTEs).

I also wasn't thrilled when I heard snakes would be around, but honestly there've been so damned few of them that I've pretty much only ever had to kill less than ten of them. They only seem to inhabit bottleneck areas - they could've made this game a hell of a lot more difficult if you had to weigh your options on whether or not to cut across long grass or wade into a bush field.

So, on Normal difficulty I'd rate the game about a '4' on the difficulty scale (out of ten), but I just started in North Kyrat. If anything the most difficult thing in the game is figuring out the puzzles on how to get into places way too high for the Buzzer to reach, or find the tunnel entrances for underground locations. Also, I have to give Ubisoft credit for something - you can buy maps of loot, mask, and location spots with in-game currency. That's a welcome change from AC:BF, where they tried selling that poo poo as pay-us-fuckers cheater's DLC.

I'd squeeze off about 50 rounds and reload, I know the magazine size is enormous by default.

Also, I've noticed since reaching Karma Level 8, the game no longer penalizes me for killing innocents. It just gives me a stern finger-wagging pop-up about not doing it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 28, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
did anyone actually side with Amita?

I mean loving seriously, everything instantly becomes a 'gender' thing the moment she talks, I was siding with Sabal constantly because while he may be a god bothering rear end in a top hat at least he wasn't going 'LITTLE GIRLS, ARRANGED MARRIAGE, OUR FUTURE' while bagging heroin and blowing up temples.

"we have no future without drugs :qq:" hello, yes, rhinos aren't endangered here and once this war blows over think of the tourist dollar maybe?? gently caress you!!

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
The game on my PS4 crashes every single time it trys to load whatever it loads when you attempt to use the pipe in your house :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Motherfucker posted:

I mean loving seriously, everything instantly becomes a 'gender' thing the moment she talks, I was siding with Sabal constantly because while he may be a god bothering rear end in a top hat at least he wasn't going 'LITTLE GIRLS, ARRANGED MARRIAGE, OUR FUTURE' while bagging heroin and blowing up temples.

"we have no future without drugs :qq:" hello, yes, rhinos aren't endangered here and once this war blows over think of the tourist dollar maybe?? gently caress you!!

I sided with amita because I like to get poo poo done and I'm not a bitch. Also dat rear end

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Motherfucker posted:

I'm not very far (Not even in Northern Kyrat, even though FC4 says I have 48% complete), but the few times I've done Amita vs Sabal, I've always sided with her because it felt like "Practicality vs Idealism". I'll almost certainly do another run, in which I'll side with Sabal.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Knifegrab posted:

I sided with amita because I like to get poo poo done and I'm not a bitch. Also dat rear end

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I got loving sick of Sabal trying to manipulate me. "YOUR FATHER would do such-and-such. YOUR FATHER would be proud. Follow in the footsteps of YOUR FATHER. YOUR FATHER understood that our spirituality was important..."

How do you get through minefields? Just shoot the mines?
(it's noisy)

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I've been siding with Amita mostly except for when I got the chance to rain some sweet fiery justice onto the heroin compound.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010
Does anyone have experience with the PC version crashing to desktop during the prologue? I'm getting a Golden Path fella waving a gun in my face and then it dies.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Pretty sure my dad didn't want to dick a twelve year old so gently caress you Sabal.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Morter posted:

I'm not very far (Not even in Northern Kyrat, even though FC4 says I have 48% complete), but the few times I've done Amita vs Sabal, I've always sided with her because it felt like "Practicality vs Idealism". I'll almost certainly do another run, in which I'll side with Sabal.

I side with whatever makes more sense. I sided with Sabal on the 'burn the fields' mission because, even though I know it wouldn't matter, disrupting the opium/heroin production in the short term would make Pagan less able to keep his soldiers as tweaked as usual, and soldiers with DTs can't aim straight. Since then I've mostly sided with Amita because, as stated earlier, 'dat rear end,' and also because Sabal really seems like the type who would go all Eli Sunday if he were in power.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I kinda wish at the end there was a golden path victory party that you could shoot up and claim the loving throne yourself.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I can run FC3 on high-ish setting if I turn post processing off. How much more resource intensive is this game?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Capn Beeb posted:

Pretty sure my dad didn't want to dick a twelve year old so gently caress you Sabal.

If you think this you haven't read enough of his diaries.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Broken Cog posted:

If you think this you haven't read enough of his diaries.

Ajay's mum was 8 when she gave birth.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rather Dashing posted:

Far Cry Wiki says she was born in '68. So she'd have been 46 when she died in 2014, and 25ish when she had him? I'd never really read anything on her, but now her story sounds like they straight up poached it from that movie "Lust, Caution."

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Rather Dashing posted:

It's not entirely unheard of.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

botany posted:

I can run FC3 on high-ish setting if I turn post processing off. How much more resource intensive is this game?

Specs and we'll tell. Lot's of polish in this game so it may not run good.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For some reason, whenever I get to use the Buzzsaw indiscriminately, I think of this:

(to forestall anyone who asks - Punisher Max Presents Barracuda TPB)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Rather Dashing posted:

I don't think she gave birth at 8, but I think that's when she got married to Ajay's father.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Specs and we'll tell. Lot's of polish in this game so it may not run good.

AMD FX-8120 8-core, 3.10GHZ
12 MB RAM
GeForce GTX560

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Far Cry Wiki says she was born in '68.

quote:

Baishakh 1981
Ishwari and I were married today. The ceremony was small, just her parents and mine. The village elders still believe it is bad fortune to marry a Tarun Matara, but I don't see it that way. She is charming and intelligent. Our marriage was arranged when we were children, years before her selection as Kyra's vessel and her dowry was paid by the temple. Money enough to set up the house, maybe even by a rice cooker. And my transfer to the Royal Guards has been approved, so I'll need new uniforms. -Mohan Ghale

:stare:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Broken Cog posted:

I don't think she gave birth at 8, but I think that's when she got married to Ajay's father.

My mistake, she gave birth at 5.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Motherfucker posted:

I sided with Amita the moment she unleashed the MEGABURN about the other dude wanting to marry a child.

Also gently caress Herk or Hurk or whatever his name was, he felt shoehorned into the plot after somebody on the dev team said "you know what we need? COMIC LEVITY!!!" and then they failed to produce anything of the sort.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

The Lone Badger posted:

How do you get through minefields? Just shoot the mines?
(it's noisy)
That was the only time I used my rebel tokens or whatever they were called, to call in a dude in a truck to drive into the minefield and detonate them all

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Is there an alternative to this? The unpacker crashes after unpacking like everything but the file I need.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

Also gently caress Herk or Hurk or whatever his name was, he felt shoehorned into the plot after somebody on the dev team said "you know what we need? COMIC LEVITY!!!" and then they failed to produce anything of the sort.

I wish I could report this post. I liked Hurk, but his missions were really repetitive. After about 2 I was like OK, just give me my drat harpoon gun and gently caress off.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

I sided with Amita the moment she unleashed the MEGABURN about the other dude wanting to marry a child.

YOu would mister low tax kyanka you judus

a vote for amita is a vote for heroin

drugs are bad okay.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I blindly decided I would side with Sabal from the intro after Amita was ever so slightly bitchy.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
You know who else thinks drugs are good? RabiRayRana.

A vote for Amita is a vote for the DJ. :colbert:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Motherfucker posted:

YOu would mister low tax kyanka you judus

a vote for amita is a vote for heroin

drugs are bad okay.
I like how they basically had you choose between two lovely, unlikable characters who would inevitably end up being a lovely, unlikable leader. Like every US Presidential election.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Volkerball posted:

I wish I could report this post. I liked Hurk, but his missions were really repetitive. After about 2 I was like OK, just give me my drat harpoon gun and gently caress off.
What exactly did you like about Hurk? He wasn't even written well enough to be a one-dimensional character and his missions were second-worst only to the ones in Shangri-La. No wait, they were still better than the drug trip missions. Okay, dammit, I'm having a hard time coming up with a character in this game who didn't annoy me.

EDIT: Okay, I remembered one character who wasn't completely annoying: the dead mom in the vase

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Lowtax posted:

I like how they basically had you choose between two lovely, unlikable characters who would inevitably end up being a lovely, unlikable leader. Like every US Presidential election.

Yeah, the people on the convoy missions seemed a lot more pragmatic. They're transporting books for schools, gold for weapons, etc. One group even went ahead and rented out some artifacts to a western art dealer, I'm thinking, "can we put you guys in charge instead?"

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Hey, if anyone wants to dick around in co-op on PC, hit me up on Steam!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/A_Proper_Uppercut

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

What exactly did you like about Hurk? He wasn't even written well enough to be a one-dimensional character and his missions were second-worst only to the ones in Shangri-La. No wait, they were still better than the drug trip missions. Okay, dammit, I'm having a hard time coming up with a character in this game who didn't annoy me.

EDIT: Okay, I remembered one character who wasn't completely annoying: the dead mom in the vase

Just the Kenny Powers vibe he had around him. I thought it was funny. And the drug missions were awesome.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Volkerball posted:

Just the Kenny Powers vibe he had around him. I thought it was funny. And the drug missions were awesome.
What was the good part about the drug missions? The cliched classic rock music? The annoying colors? The fact that every single one of them was exactly the same? The protagonist being shocked and surprised that the exact same thing happened to him again and again and again?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Hours after I beat the game I finally get around to watching the cutscene with Amita. Jesus Christ.

Amita starts turning children into soldiers in her army.

I can't wait to play through on Sabal's side now just so I can gently caress him up in the end after he goes off the deep end.

This game really needed an eat the Crab Rangoon, then go liberate Kyrat with your new dad Pagan Min.

Lowtax posted:

What was the good part about the drug missions? The cliched classic rock music? The annoying colors? The fact that every single one of them was exactly the same? The protagonist being shocked and surprised that the exact same thing happened to him again and again and again?

I wasn't a huge fan of them either but they were sort of interesting. I wish they'd taken them a bit further and had you liberating outposts while being attacked by demons or turning all your enemies into the two annoying expats. Still I think Far Cry 3/4 do a good job of having the side missions and plot missions different enough from the regularly game that they serve as a nice break between clearing outposts and radio towers.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Ajay knew what he was getting into, around the fourth mission with those two he blazed up and waited a bit and was like 'uhh I think you forgot to stab me with something' and then the guy I think may have been Kent Paul from Vice City says 'oh right' and whips out a syringe.

They were a bit repetitive but also pretty short and spaced out in the campaign so I thought they made an alright change of pace.

• Locked thread