Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

thexerox123 posted:

Maybe that's why that post just says that it's easy to read as a coming out story, not that it is one?

Yeah, but then he says "I don't know why people are so resistant to the idea of subtext" implying that Frozen's subtext is about coming out.

It's about acceptance, not coming out. It works just as well for accepting that you're a fat piece of poo poo. That's probably what Frozen was about.

It works for accepting that you're ugly or stupid. These are things that people need to accept as well. Acceptance is such a large and general concept, as a gay person, saying that acceptance essentially only belongs to gay people is a radical idea. Who would have guessed?

But that's what being said. It's a coming-out story to a single crazy person. For the rest it's a story about acceptance. I'm gay, I accept that about myself.

Coming-out is accepting yourself, but accepting yourself isn't coming-out. A square is a rectangle, the opposite is not true. It's not a coming-out story because she doesn't date anyone at all. It has nothing to do with sexual identity, but everything to do with acceptance. How do you guys not get this? How are you so stupid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't argue with Ravane.

You should probably make this the new thread title.

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

Is the fact that the mythic feel of ATLA has become mundane not part of the point? The show as a whole has been about grounding and undercutting those portions of the original series.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yeah, I think a big a part of the show is questioning the place of 'larger-than-life' stories, myths and legends in the face of ever advancing technology.

As for the episode, I was half expecting Korra to come out of the Spirit meditation floating like Zaheer.

If the show does an epilogue, I'd like it to be the next Avatar calling Korra out for spiritual guidance and we get to see her at her peak Avatar form.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Steensma posted:

Is the fact that the mythic feel of ATLA has become mundane not part of the point? The show as a whole has been about grounding and undercutting those portions of the original series.

Maybe but it also makes the show feel compressed, small and cheapens the setting. It was nice not knowing why the Avatar was the way they were, with a reincarnating soul. You could speculate why it was the case and it gave the setting an air of mystique that made it feel grand. Like the Avatar and the people of that world were just a small part of a larger picture. In TLA the universe was out of balance so the Avatar received help from various parts of it so he could set it right. In Korra they just told us someone fused with the ultimate spirit of ultimate good to fight ultimate evil and now it's that spirit of ultimate good that gives the avatar their powers. There's nothing grand about it and it cheapened the universe because of it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So I'm the only one that likes Legend of Korra better than The Last Airbender, right?

BrianWilly posted:

The episode was pretty great, though it kinda sucks that I couldn't get my mind off the whole animation budget thing the whole time I was watching. Now that we know there have been budget crunches, I just can't help but get fixated on that kind of stuff.

It's great that Zaheer actually got confronted with the ramifications of killing the Earth Queen. And Janet Varney acted the hell out of that confrontation.
I enjoyed that confrontation but felt it was way too short. Probably because of the budget cuts and clip show preventing them from doing as much with this as they'd have liked. It hit every note it needed too, and that's it. It was over.

Also am I the only one that's amused by the thought that Zaheer would probably have been a better airbending master for Korra then Tentzin?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Except for the attempted homicide, of course.

That council meeting was screaming "Iraq!"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ETB posted:

I'm not seeing the parallels.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not seeing the parallels.

Not insomuch as the exact situation, but just the discussion of preemptive strike as a justified means of action.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ETB posted:

Except for the attempted homicide, of course.

Yes, except in the context of the show, of course, given the right-wing slant that has characterized LOK from the beginning, a pre-emptive strike is completely justified, moral, and correct. On the other hand, the national leader who is a pacifist and wants her nation to heal after having been embroiled in centuries of war, is shown as an obstructionist. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Yes, except in the context of the show, of course, given the right-wing slant that has characterized LOK from the beginning, a pre-emptive strike is completely justified, moral, and correct. On the other hand, the national leader who is a pacifist and wants her nation to heal after having been embroiled in centuries of war, is shown as an obstructionist. :allears:

If you're calling that a right-wing slant then TLA also had a fairly right-wing slant. The characters there in fact actively engaged in a preemptive attack to assassinate the leader of a country, and people who didn't wish to engage in further war with the fire nation were shown as naive or foolish.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Steensma posted:

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yeah, I think a big a part of the show is questioning the place of 'larger-than-life' stories, myths and legends in the face of ever advancing technology.

I wouldn't say that about 'in the face of ever advancing technology'. It wasn't technology that forced the exploration of the Spirit World, and that was what made a lot of the spirituality mundane (since, at present, entering the Spirit World is all about hopping into a portal).

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I wouldn't say the Fire Lord was presented as an obstructionist. President Raiko has been consistently quite unethical in the pursuit of securing and strengthening the United Republic, and his pushing for a pre-emptive strike doesn't seem like something the show necessarily endorses - he hasn't historically been a moral character. Look at earlier in the season, where he was schmoozing with Prince Wu in the hope that he could extend influence to the Earth Kingdom after placing a naive figurehead on the throne.

To take things one step further, the reason Kuvira has as much power as she does is because a foreign power - the United Republic - propped her up as a warlord in a destabilised country. It's not overt but I would call the show's treatment of that tactic fairly critical, given the fact that Raiko is not portrayed as a heroic character but as a calculating politician out to secure and better the lot of his country.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

If you're calling that a right-wing slant then TLA also had a fairly right-wing slant. The characters there in fact actively engaged in a preemptive attack to assassinate the leader of a country, and people who didn't wish to engage in further war with the fire nation were shown as naive or foolish.

Don't forget the long series of conversations between Aang and the previous Avatars where Roku was like "I really hosed up by not just killing Sozin." and Kyoshi going "What the hell is wrong with you, just kill Ozai."

Besides...a pre-emptive strike seems pretty justified to me here. The Republic is former Earth Kingdom territory. Kuvira is gonna want that. Unless you're taking the moral position that a pre-emptive strike is never justified under any circumstances, which seems to be Tintzin's position.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is it really a pre-emptive strike when Kuvira's already gone "gently caress ALL Y'ALL" and taken over ZaofuPoland?

Steensma
Nov 2, 2014

I think that the show also has a habit of presenting decisions without commenting explicitly on the morality of them, and that may drive certain viewers up a wall. Though Lin, Opal, and Bolin are going on a top-secret rescue mission, the show is not presenting that as an entirely heroic pursuit. And it's similarly not evil or obstructionist of Tenzin and the Fire Lord to be against attacking Kuvira, that's simply how they feel.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is it really a pre-emptive strike when Kuvira's already gone "gently caress ALL Y'ALL" and taken over ZaofuPoland?

If the powers doing the strike have not been directly attacked, it's a pre-emptive strike by definition, I think.

Steensma posted:

I think that the show also has a habit of presenting decisions without commenting explicitly on the morality of them, and that may drive certain viewers up a wall. Though Lin, Opal, and Bolin are going on a top-secret rescue mission, the show is not presenting that as an entirely heroic pursuit. And it's similarly not evil or obstructionist of Tenzin and the Fire Lord to be against attacking Kuvira, that's simply how they feel.

If the show made a habit of explicitly telling me who was and wasn't moral I wouldn't watch it probably. It's enough of a kid's show as it is.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Su kind of hosed it all up by trying to assassinate Kuvira, which is what Kuvira was counting on.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

If the Earth Kingdom/Empire is not-China, Zaofu's more like not-Tibet, a province that broke away in times of turmoil and refused to return into the fold. Kuvira still hasn't attacked any place outside her country's borders, which are apparently accepted by everyone else. They wouldn't have tasked her with reuniting that nation otherwise.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I do like what little characterization we have of Zuko's daughter. 'The Fire Nation has been involved in too many stupid wars in the past few centuries!' indeed.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Kuvira = Hitler. Saying that Hitlers ought to be taken down preemptively isn't a right wing slant, unless things that are true are slanted right-wing.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess it is right wing in the sense that military interventionism in general is viewed as right wing.

Maybe everything the right wing says isn't evil to its core and we need to find some sort of balance between the various

eh nevermind.

Kassad posted:

If the Earth Kingdom/Empire is not-China, Zaofu's more like not-Tibet, a province that broke away in times of turmoil and refused to return into the fold. Kuvira still hasn't attacked any place outside her country's borders, which are apparently accepted by everyone else.

Except for President Raiko, whose entire nation is built on old Earth Kingdom territory.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 28, 2014

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Motherfucker posted:

im loving

gay

This is really loving good for a fan animation.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Could never happen on the show of course, because tongue kissing.

It's really weird you can suffocate someone on screen in a kid's show but not have two characters french.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Sharmat posted:

Could never happen on the show of course, because tongue kissing.

It's really weird you can suffocate someone on screen in a kid's show but not have two characters french.

:confused:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There's no tongue in that kiss.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

VanSandman posted:

I do like what little characterization we have of Zuko's daughter. 'The Fire Nation has been involved in too many stupid wars in the past few centuries!' indeed.

I kinda hope that during the season we get to see zuko himself arrive in earth kingdom with an army to battle kuvira. They could be like gandalf at the battle of helmsdeep. Like korra & co. try and fight kuvira but she's too powerful and tadaaaa! zuka arrives on a dragon with a massive army to save the day.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think after getting kicked into the dirt so many times, Korra really really needs to solve this one herself.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

This is really loving good for a fan animation.

I know right I jacked off pretty hard to it!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

We're so close to the finale, please don't get the thread closed again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

thexerox123 posted:

We're so close to the finale, please don't get the thread closed again.

When is the finale? I'm counting the days until we can be rid of this thread.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Deadpool posted:

When is the finale? I'm counting the days until we can be rid of this thread.

December 19th.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Regardless of what happens I'd imagine the thread would continue for some time after the finale to talk about how awful the show is, or how miraculously the finale saved the show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CeallaSo posted:

December 19th. Two more single-episode weeks, then a two-parter for the ending.

My Christmas present is going to be great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Regardless of what happens I'd imagine the thread would continue for some time after the finale to talk about how awful the show is, or how miraculously the finale saved the show.

It's going to be the former.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah probably. The finale would have to be at least twice as good as Avatar: The Last Airbender's for people not to hate it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Hauldren Collider posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about. Kuvira = Hitler. Saying that Hitlers ought to be taken down preemptively isn't a right wing slant, unless things that are true are slanted right-wing.

"KuviraSaddam Hussein is secretly developing spirit vine weapons of mass destruction, therefore we need to do a pre-emptive strike to take her him down." Only in the show, what was a lie in our real world is actually literally true. This gives credence to the message that pre-emptively violating the sovereignty of other nations is justified based on some suspicion.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 28, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You mean it isn't?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's going to be the former.

Learning that the budget has been slashed doesn't help matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I could swear I remember posts from the show creators somewhere talking about work they were doing on the series finale all the way back when Book 2 was still airing. Maybe the budget cuts didn't affect the finale.

• Locked thread