Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Everyone shut the gently caress up.

Anyone notice that some of the VA work this episode sounded like is was phoned in? As in literally phoned in?

Its super obvious with Lin. And some bits of Bolin's dialogue too. Incredibly muffled compared to the other lines. I guess this could be another indicator of budget cuts.

Good episode though. Everything moves a bit too quick, I wish they could have more time to flesh out storylines but :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The budget cuts were the amount for one episode. That's why we got a recap episode. Something else might have been affected, but I think not too much.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

iSheep posted:

Everyone shut the gently caress up.

Anyone notice that some of the VA work this episode sounded like is was phoned in? As in literally phoned in?

Its super obvious with Lin. And some bits of Bolin's dialogue too. Incredibly muffled compared to the other lines. I guess this could be another indicator of budget cuts.

Good episode though. Everything moves a bit too quick, I wish they could have more time to flesh out storylines but :(

I suspect this episode might have been redone somewhat due to the need for the previous episode to be a clip show. They might have had to change the script and re-record stuff in a hurry.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

DrSunshine posted:

"KuviraSaddam Hussein is secretly developing spirit vine weapons of mass destruction, therefore we need to do a pre-emptive strike to take her him down." Only in the show, what was a lie in our real world is actually literally true. This gives credence to the message that pre-emptively violating the sovereignty of other nations is justified based on some suspicion.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

^ ^ ^ Jaden Smith posts should be bannable.

The Sharmat posted:

I suspect this episode might have been redone somewhat due to the need for the previous episode to be a clip show. They might have had to change the script and re-record stuff in a hurry.

According to the blog post, they found out about the budget cuts like a year and a half ago.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

thexerox123 posted:

^ ^ ^ Jaden Smith posts should be bannable.

Considering this is what you people actually sound like, I think it's quite apt.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Apparently this applies to the Rules Of Capitalization Too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jaden Smith can't stop the RULES OF NATURE though.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

As much as I appreciate some of the more in-depth posts in this thread, I'm kinda glad it will die soon...

Anyways, I liked the episode. :toot: Not too much action, but some very nice moments.
Of course, big fan of Zaheer's reappearance. I loved that he is obviously still utterly convinced he was right - and he's smug about it, too. It was a nice contrast to Korra, who quickly dropped any pretense of not being loving terrified.
Also very nice to see how obviously frustrated Korra is with herself. I'm honestly surprised how well they're reflecting the viewer's feelings! Stick the landing, and this could be the best character arc of the entire series. I am a little disappointed with Tenzin's role so far; he's been not very helpful and very passive, but his arc was arguably over in Season 3. He showed his resolve to defend the Air Nation, said Air Nation proved key in taking down Zaheer, and now he's basically build an army of superheroes. I feel like the only real territory left for him to explore is his relationship to Korra, and Season 2 already covered most of that. I... I just want to see Tenzin kick rear end again. And maybe win. :(

I'm somewhat glad Bolin isn't just forgiven like that, would've felt very cheap. Also digging the return of Varrick's fancy suit. Very glad so see Lin take action - it's very Beifong-like, and this should be a sweet side plot.

Also, I noticed that this show has a weird amount of friendship hugs. Like... they stick out. Kinda don't fit the tone of the series. Yet people keep huggin'.

Legend of Hugs.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
So glad there wasn't any indication of Makorra returning. They're pretty solidly friends at this point, and the clip show reinforces that idea... I hope.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Torquemadras posted:

Anyways, I liked the episode. :toot: Not too much action, but some very nice moments.
Of course, big fan of Zaheer's reappearance. I loved that he is obviously still utterly convinced he was right - and he's smug about it, too.

As soon as Korra mentions Kuvira, Zaheer gets a really sad look on his face. I think he might have SOME regrets.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't think he's regretful. I think he's just sad that his work was made pointless as another authoritarian shithead rose up to take the Queen's place - and given that Zaheer actually does care about people in the general since, it's not surprising that he's troubled by whatever he's heard about Kuvira.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked the part where Zaheer almost seemed to feel doubt and regret over his role in Kuvira's rise to power. I doubt he wouldn't kill the Earth Queen all over again, but it was a bit of a crack in his "ha I'm so great" persona.

Tenzin was okay, but him suddenly doubting Korra's capabilities seemed a bit inconsistent with the clip show episode where he was all but fawning over how literally perfect he thought she was. That's what happens when you shove in an episode like that I guess.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh by the way guys, all footage that was in the Book 4 trailer has aired as of this episode. We're going into the four-part finale completely blind.
I'm excited, y'all.

Deadpool posted:

When is the finale? I'm counting the days until we can be rid of this thread.
Maybe this thread wouldn't generate so many reports if you actually probated people who gleefully poo poo it up.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BrianWilly posted:

I liked the part where Zaheer almost seemed to feel doubt and regret over his role in Kuvira's rise to power. I doubt he wouldn't kill the Earth Queen all over again, but it was a bit of a crack in his "ha I'm so great" persona.

I maintain that the assassination of the Earth Queen was actually a good thing. The Earth Kingdom seemed to be pretty much falling apart even before she was dead.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Given that Kuvira doesn't give a poo poo about the legitimate heir to the throne, I don't think the death of the Earth Queen actually affected her decisions to make an empire. Chances are she was going to do it no matter what.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Torquemadras posted:

Also, I noticed that this show has a weird amount of friendship hugs. Like... they stick out. Kinda don't fit the tone of the series. Yet people keep huggin'.

Are you not hugged by your friends very often?

How does it not fit the tone of the series, one of the major themes is just friendship, how better to express that than with a hug? How else do you express it, a fuckin' handshake?

No wonder you goons think a hug means romantic feelings. You guys don't get hugged at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

I can't speak for him but no, I'm not. I don't really like being hugged.

It's totally in character for Korra to do it though.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Kuvira would never have gotten the support she did if the other world leaders weren't supporting her at first. It's only because she began as a legitimate, internationally-approved force for stability that they didn't spank her down like the upstart that they would've seen her as.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Slime posted:

Given that Kuvira doesn't give a poo poo about the legitimate heir to the throne, I don't think the death of the Earth Queen actually affected her decisions to make an empire. Chances are she was going to do it no matter what.
Arguable. She was pretty happy serving under Suyin until the power vacuum created by the Earth Queen's death was created. She urged Suyin to fill that void, and when Suyin declined, she felt someone had to, even if it had to be her.

If the Earth Queen stayed alive Kuvira probably would have kept serving in Zaofu.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ravane posted:

How does it not fit the tone of the series, one of the major themes is just friendship, how better to express that than with a hug? How else do you express it, a fuckin' handshake?

No wonder you goons think a hug means romantic feelings. You guys don't get hugged at all.

Hey. That was uncalled for, you jerk. :mad:

I'm talking about the group hugs! They even kinda made fun of it this episode. It seems something kids would rather do, not 20-somethings. For some reason, I noticed how weird it seems this episode. Probably when Bolin joked about it. Only thing missing would be someone yelling "FRIENDSHIP GO" or something. (Or... Meelo farting on it, I guess)

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Torquemadras posted:

I'm talking about the group hugs! They even kinda made fun of it this episode. It seems something kids would rather do, not 20-somethings. For some reason, I noticed how weird it seems this episode. Probably when Bolin joked about it. Only thing missing would be someone yelling "FRIENDSHIP GO" or something. (Or... Meelo farting on it, I guess)

I actually genuinely feel bad. I apologize.

Regardless, many 20-somethings hug all the time. It just depends on whether you're an introvert or an extrovert.

Understand where Bolin is coming from, he spent three years apart from both Korra and his brother, fighting for something he believed in. Now he finds out that he's been subjugating thousands of people to Kuvira's control. Support was what he needed, and symbolically, that's what a hug allowed him get; a small moment of comfort before the finale. You can't blame him for wanting seconds.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Ravane posted:

I actually genuinely feel bad. I apologize.

Regardless, many 20-somethings hug all the time. It just depends on whether you're an introvert or an extrovert.

Understand where Bolin is coming from, he spent three years apart from both Korra and his brother, fighting for something he believed in. Now he finds out that he's been subjugating thousands of people to Kuvira's control. Support was what he needed, and symbolically, that's what a hug allowed him get; a small moment of comfort before the finale. You can't blame him for wanting seconds.

All cool. Forgive me if, topic at hand, I don't offer a friendship group hug :toot:

Of course, I see where you're coming from; I actually think the show is pretty good in making their characters react believably, and drat Bolin deserved that group huggin'. Bolin is just ridiculous enough to do that, but seriously - Mako, Asami and Korra last episode? Looked out of place for me. Like a remnant from a show for younger children than the manchildren actually watching it

I'd also like to call attention to the fact that, with Varrick and Asami called on to counter Kuvira's spiritnuke, the chances of giant mech battles just shot through the roof.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So this popped up on me:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, what's up with Zhu Li? I almost forgot about her.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, what's up with Zhu Li? I almost forgot about her.

She's the one helping Kuvira build the weapon that's super.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

If the show does an epilogue, I'd like it to be the next Avatar calling Korra out for spiritual guidance and we get to see her at her peak Avatar form.

"I don't know, have you tried punching it?"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Torquemadras posted:

The original series had them often enough, even not counting how much hugging Katara and Sokka did themselves. Zuko even got told flat out that if he was going to join up he was going to have to do group hugs. But I'll grant they were younger by and large.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Oh Snapple! posted:

I don't think he's regretful. I think he's just sad that his work was made pointless as another authoritarian shithead rose up to take the Queen's place - and given that Zaheer actually does care about people in the general since, it's not surprising that he's troubled by whatever he's heard about Kuvira.

Yea I doubt he really thought 'oh gently caress what if she's right' more like 'yea it sucks that bitch ruined my good work'. Dude's a hosed up guy but he's been shown as nothing but a true believer in his bullshit.

Also man they're just going for it as hard as possible with "Korra deals with PTSD the season".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Don't forget the long series of conversations between Aang and the previous Avatars where Roku was like "I really hosed up by not just killing Sozin." and Kyoshi going "What the hell is wrong with you, just kill Ozai."

The past-life Avatars in AtlA serve as foils in addition to mentors. They embody the tragic archetype, where their good intentions are ultimately undermined by their heroic flaws.

The point of that conversation is that while Aang has learned from them, he is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past unless he makes his own decision.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hangedman1984 posted:

"I don't know, have you tried punching it?"
"Whatever you do, don't gently caress up on your first big adventure, or people will keep giving you poo poo no matter how you grow and change."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Microcline posted:

The past-life Avatars in AtlA serve as foils in addition to mentors. They embody the tragic archetype, where their good intentions are ultimately undermined by their heroic flaws.

The point of that conversation is that while Aang has learned from them, he is doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past unless he makes his own decision.

Pretty much yea, the point of that scene was to have a moment where Aang realized if he has 4 generations of Avatars saying 'yo ice this rear end in a top hat who's being trouble' he was at a moment where he could continue an endless cycle of 'the Avatar brings balance in all things...unless it's haaaaard then you just fuckin murder every despot that pops up' or he could, ya know, be the Avatar.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaheer only seemed a little bit disturbed by the revelation that his philosophy, his dedication to which cost him the freedom that he considers most valuable, backfired in the most spectacularly predictable way. But you can sort of tell that this episode was two episodes' worth of events crammed in one to make up for time lost by the necessary clip episode that preceded it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Bongo Bill posted:

Zaheer only seemed a little bit disturbed by the revelation that his philosophy, his dedication to which cost him the freedom that he considers most valuable, backfired in the most spectacularly predictable way. But you can sort of tell that this episode was two episodes' worth of events crammed in one to make up for time lost by the necessary clip episode that preceded it.

Yes. Cramming too much in too little time is what throws off the episode. If they had more time, I'm sure we would've found out the reason the vines were capturing people. Seriously, gently caress Nick.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yes. Cramming too much in too little time is what throws off the episode. If they had more time, I'm sure we would've found out the reason the vines were capturing people. Seriously, gently caress Nick.

See, I thought that was pretty obvious. They have a "consciousness" of their own, being a kind of spirit. Spirits under duress are known to lash out at anyone nearby (see Hei Bai in TLA) and so the vines responded to Kuvira's attacks by kidnapping nearby humans. Seems pretty cut-and-dry to me.

EDIT: But yeah, gently caress Nick though. It still baffles me how much they hate this show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I mean I think even if we didn't have the clip show the scene between Korra and Zaheer wouldn't have been that much different. We're never gonna get the kind of tense, meticulously-paced conversation scene that we'd see in Breaking Bad or whatever. I mean I'd love to have a ten minute uninterrupted scene of Korra and Zaheer talking, but that just ain't how television is made.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Maybe if they had 20+ episodes per season, but yeah, Korra's season format and the climate of Western animation wouldn't allow for it. Too little time, it's the wrong audience, etc.

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

Bongo Bill posted:

Zaheer only seemed a little bit disturbed by the revelation that his philosophy, his dedication to which cost him the freedom that he considers most valuable, backfired in the most spectacularly predictable way.
Really? He went from loving with Korra to helping her when he found out the truth about Kuvira. He even further aided Korra by praising her strength and telling her that her power was limitless.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.

Miss Nomer posted:

Really? He went from loving with Korra to helping her when he found out the truth about Kuvira. He even further aided Korra by praising her strength and telling her that her power was limitless.

It's important to remember that Zaheer and the Red Lotus's original plans, had they successfully captured Korra as a child, was to train her in their beliefs and help them in their own cause. I don't think Zaheer ever really hated or despised Korra, but rather was just disappointed that this powerful person was not on the same side he was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I just mean that it only had the one shot of him being surprised or disappointed, and then it plunged right into more utilitarian plot advancement at the same breakneck pace. What happened was obviously a huge deal for him, but because of time constraints, it wasn't given much weight.

• Locked thread