Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Empire is great because it doesn't have to start anything or bring anything to a close. It gets to be the middle chapter where poo poo goes down and everything ends all hosed up and is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Leo Showers posted:

It feels like Empire got some really great writing and stuff and the they let it slip for RotJ because they were doing so well and somehow felt like they couldn't do anything wrong perhaps.

As 'just okay' as the rest of the movie is I can't rank RotJ any lower than 'really good' because of the whole Throne Room part. It'd so drat good.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LesterGroans posted:

As 'just okay' as the rest of the movie is I can't rank RotJ any lower than 'really good' because of the whole Throne Room part. It'd so drat good.

Yeah sure, it has it's redeeming parts and the space battle looks really cool but that whole ewok poo poo is just plain weird, like somehow no-one thought that it was a weak part of the story and just :shrug: because they could fall too far.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Leo Showers posted:

It feels like Empire got some really great writing and stuff and the they let it slip for RotJ because they were doing so well and somehow felt like they couldn't do anything wrong perhaps.
Most likely the difference between ESB and RotJ is due in no small measure to Lucas having been burned out from making ANH and (presuambly) leaving much more in the hands of Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan than he might've otherwise. Lucas' influence on RotJ was much greater and more direct, as I understand it. If Lucas had been fully in charge of ESB, for example, it's doubtful that Harrison Ford's exasperated "I know" in response to the Xth time Carrie Fisher recited the "I love you" line to him would've made it into the final cut.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

so the moral of the story is that lucas not having a ton of input is really good for star wars.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Leo Showers posted:

Empire's writing isn't really any better or worse than the other movies. The sexual tension between Han and Leia is just naturally conducive to interesting dialogue and memorable line readings. It's essentially a screwball comedy set in space. But in Return of the Jedi, Han and Leia's romantic tension is already mostly resolved, so that compelling dynamic is gone.

Some people point to the writing during the Dagobah scenes as being exceptional, but really it's just vague fortune cookie stuff. More than anything else, Frank Oz should get the credit for selling those lines.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Powered Descent posted:

But doesn't that boil down to "the exceptional one is also the least typical one"? Because, well, yes, that's what makes it exceptional. The tallest building in a city is far above the average building height; that's what makes it tallest.

Empire is the movie that fans use to justify themselves to non Star Wars fans since you get a bit of that Shakespearean/classical Drama stuff.

The original is the most influential and is by far my favorite one. But honestly, I can enjoy any of them (even AOTC, man that one was terrible.)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

so the moral of the story is that lucas not having a ton of input is really good for star wars.
Lucas - and I believe he's admitted this himself in times past - is much more of a conceptual man than a hands-on creator. He's had good general ideas, and he's been a driving force (for better or worse) behind the advent of CGI, but at the end of the day I feel that he's not really the one who should make all the detailed decisions. At the very least, there should always be someone who can moderate his creative control.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

woah the dagobah scenes were good??

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I just watched the trailer and I've got mixed feelings. It's cool to see a Stormtrooper without his helmet, since that means we might get a look at a conflict from their perspective. But the color grading on the part where the woman takes the speeder is almost Transformers bad. And speaking of color grading, the instagram filter on the X-wing scene looks really dated.

The ending scene with the Falcon mostly looked good, but I don't understand why there was a haze on Tattooine's horizon. If you want to distort the distance it makes more sense to do it with the wavy air like they did in the original trilogy (maybe the prequels too, I never saw them). It really made me feel how hot the desert was.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

The original is the most influential and is by far my favorite one. But honestly, I can enjoy any of them (even AOTC, man that one was terrible.)

12-year old me could recognize that Attack of the Clones was a terrible movie, because holy poo poo that's a bad movie.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sombrerotron posted:

Most likely the difference between ESB and RotJ is due in no small measure to Lucas having been burned out from making ANH and (presuambly) leaving much more in the hands of Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan than he might've otherwise. Lucas' influence on RotJ was much greater and more direct, as I understand it. If Lucas had been fully in charge of ESB, for example, it's doubtful that Harrison Ford's exasperated "I know" in response to the Xth time Carrie Fisher recited the "I love you" line to him would've made it into the final cut.

Well, technically, he was fully in charge on ESB. It was his money making the movie, after all. He just chose to defer to Kershner because he respected and trusted him. And because, like you said, he was burnt out from ANH (as I recall he almost had a heart attack because of the stress from making the first movie).

But he actually did step in when it came to Ford's improv line. Like you suspected, he was afraid the audience would find it too funny, and that it would defuse the tension of the scene. But he was mollified by the test audience's reaction. Given his penchant for interjecting humor in the middle of serious scenes in the prequels, I'd say he probably learned from that experience. So, obviously, we should blame Harrison Ford and Irvin Kershner for the eopie farting in Jar Jar's face in Episode I.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cnut the Great posted:

Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars because they constantly complain about all the things that make Star Wars unique: silly names, goofy-looking creatures, indulgent special effects set pieces, hokey dialogue, abbreviated character development, etc.

I don't think that's what SMG means when he says it, though.

No, that's been the general gist of it.

He makes another point about video games that I think would also apply to Star Wars - nerds don't enjoy playing games/watching the movies, they enjoy anticipating the games/movies.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gonz posted:

With the deaths of Vader and Palpatine, there's a power vacuum that's going to want to be filled by every Moff in the fleet.

Well maybe they can all talk it out in a Mofference, on their Moffship.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

He makes another point about video games that I think would also apply to Star Wars - nerds don't enjoy playing games/watching the movies, they enjoy anticipating the games/movies.

There is a lot of zombie-ism or cannibalism in a sense. Either they turn on the product or each other at some point. Comic book fans are similar.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I've watched the teaser trailer four times today and each time I get goosebumps and smile like an idiot at the end.

I usually watch one or two trailers and then ignore everything else about a movie's marketing once I know I want to see it, but so help me I won't be able to not absorb everything about this poo poo before it comes out. Gonna be a long year.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

cptn_dr posted:

Well maybe they can all talk it out in a Mofference, on their Moffship.

The EU is probably one of the best resources for terrible fiction in any genre.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Instead of space wizard knight grand war can I get a Hard Boiled detective movie set in the Star Wars universe of a female adventurer detective trying to solve a mysterious murder of some elite along with her cyborg buddy and the bad guy turns out to be a Sith assassin? The setting is pretty cool but tell a different sort of story.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Well, technically, he was fully in charge on ESB. It was his money making the movie, after all. He just chose to defer to Kershner because he respected and trusted him. And because, like you said, he was burnt out from ANH (as I recall he almost had a heart attack because of the stress from making the first movie).

But he actually did step in when it came to Ford's improv line. Like you suspected, he was afraid the audience would find it too funny, and that it would defuse the tension of the scene. But he was mollified by the test audience's reaction. Given his penchant for interjecting humor in the middle of serious scenes in the prequels, I'd say he probably learned from that experience. So, obviously, we should blame Harrison Ford and Irvin Kershner for the eopie farting in Jar Jar's face in Episode I.
I know (hur hur), I meant "effectively" fully in charge. That Lucas wanted to change Ford's line is new to me, though, but then I think he would've done so before any test audience would've got involved, had he been directing ESB himself.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Gatts posted:

Instead of space wizard knight grand war can I get a Hard Boiled detective movie set in the Star Wars universe of a female adventurer detective trying to solve a mysterious murder of some elite along with her cyborg buddy and the bad guy turns out to be a Sith assassin? The setting is pretty cool but tell a different sort of story.

Pretty sure that's the sort of thing we'll be getting with the side movies. And if it's not, someone's making a really loving bad decision.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

420DD Butts posted:

The EU is probably one of the best resources for terrible fiction in any genre.

You have to wonder why Star Trek 'EU' isn't bigger and what manner of bizareness they hold.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

Well in that case nerds are idiots

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Powered Descent posted:

So then,

A lightsaber with a blaster built into it: That would be awesome why haven't they done this?
A crossbow with a blaster built into it: How ridiculous.

I drew this years ago:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gatts posted:

Yeah I think this is why I'm liking Rebels so much. It's still Star Wars but it's not OMG the universe revolves around THIS PARTICULAR conflict type stuff.

Also why I am really hoping the rumors that the old cast are only in the new movie long enough to pass the torch to the new people are true, because the setting is huge and doesn't need to fall into the EU trap of having everything being about Luke, Han, Leia or R2.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

So then,

A lightsaber with a blaster built into it: That would be awesome why haven't they done this?
A crossbow with a blaster built into it: How ridiculous.

So what you're basically saying is...Gunblade. Go full Final Fantasy.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Gatts posted:

I imagine a lightsaber that shoots lasers out of the bottom of the hilt like a roman candle.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The MSJ posted:

You have to wonder why Star Trek 'EU' isn't bigger and what manner of bizareness they hold.

Because there's never been a concept of a single canonical 'EU' in Trek. Every novel(ist) is independent and they may work with what's been established in the actual canon, but almost never by each other. They all gleefully contradict each other and introduce characters, planets and events that no one else ever touches. And then a new movie comes out and contradicts all of them.

But just like the Star Wars EU, they range from "that was a surprisingly good read" to "that was a soul-crushingly bad book".

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I got to pg 278, where people were complaining about the trailer music (which sounds hugely like a very memorable section from ROTJ and composed by John Williams) sounds like "modern tuneless stuff" and stopped reading.

Haha, these reactions are wonderful.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gatts posted:

Actually it would probably work like this. Only with lasers instead of extending. :spergin:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

Different colors because electrum you mean.

Electrum.

Electrum is just the plating on the saber hilt. Blade color is determined by crystal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

Actually it would probably work like this. Only with lasers instead of extending. :spergin:

So what you're basically saying is...staff weapons from Stargate.

Gunblades, Staff Weapons, laser shooting crossbows...this gets better.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Well when your franchise has like 12 movies and 8 TV shows its all basically terrible EU to begin with

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Gatts posted:

There is a lot of zombie-ism or cannibalism in a sense. Either they turn on the product or each other at some point. Comic book fans are similar.

Nerds want to see the properties they enjoy executed well. The prequels and many things Star Wars are executed poorly, hence the ire.

I'm a Star Wars fan (though I don't like the EU stuff aside from Shadows of the Empire, so maybe I'm not allowed to be) and I like about half the actual running time of the prequels combined and I dig the new trailer.

I think Avengers will continue to be, and these new Star Wars movies will be examples of franchises that treat their source material well and turn it into awesome movies that appease most nerds and fans.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a lot of people out there who are just bad at enjoying things.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I'm trying to figure out how/why that lightsaber looked so different. Almost like it had the physical properties of fire and electricity instead of just "laser sword". It's an interesting effect and I'm curious where it'll go.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Despite having watched the teaser about 12 times now...I just bought movie tickets just so I can go see it on the big screen.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sasquatch! posted:

I'm trying to figure out how/why that lightsaber looked so different. Almost like it had the physical properties of fire and electricity instead of just "laser sword". It's an interesting effect and I'm curious where it'll go.

Basically it ate Taco Bell, got poisoning and is spitting saber fire out of every orfice.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

jivjov posted:

Despite having watched the teaser about 12 times now...I just bought movie tickets just so I can go see it on the big screen.

it doesn't come out for like a year dude

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a lot of people out there who are just bad at enjoying things.

Pretty much. Maybe it's because I am nearing 32 and I am tired of pedantry, but I don't give a poo poo that the cross guard isn't a solid beam of light versus an emitter that could get chopped off (or not, we haven't dealt with materials that don't get cut by light sabers in the films thank god), I want a fun movie, and if it can play claysaber straight without making it look dumb in use on film, I am sold.

People getting hung up on that saber are the same assholes who freak out about the quantum theory of love in Interstellar. It's more or less a metaphor you shits. Or people who think using the parent/child relationship in films is a shortcut for emotional depth- they are literal children because they can't conceptualize that having and protecting kids is literally one of the primal driving forces of our species.

In conclusion I am excited about Star Wars for the first time in like 9 years so I have hope that JJ will deliver. Also I couldn't bring myself to get butthurt over Into Darkness so feel free to disregard my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

Electrum is just the plating on the saber hilt. Blade color is determined by crystal.

It's an electrum lightsaber. That is why purple.

Electrum.

^^^ I rather enjoyed Into Darkness. Wasn't as fantastic as the first one but very enjoyable. Saw it twice even. Your opinion is now validated.

• Locked thread