Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/4752237983.html

gently caress me. I need a bigger garage.

Also happy late thanksgiving!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

that ain' british. :colbert:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Keep an eye out cause these things are all over the midwest for cheap; they're not exactly sought after.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
With some decent wheels and paint it could look pretty good. I imagine it would be easy to plop in a 4.0 from a jeep.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

With some decent wheels and paint it could look pretty good. I imagine it would be easy to plop in a 4.0 from a jeep.

All of this is very true, including your need for a bigger garage.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I've always thought something like that Rambler would make the perfect sleeper. Change nothing cosmetically. Don't wash it too often.

Big block and four speed or LSx and t56. Locker rear, dot slicks - definitely keep the poverty caps. Maybe some electric exhaust cutouts.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Adiabatic posted:

Happy thanksgiving goons!!! I'm in Georgia shooting tannerite, driving heavy machinery, and drinking my rear end off!

Where in the great state of jawja are you? Since I have my kids this weekend, I need to know where to avoid so I can keep the younglings from being exposed to critical levels of awesome before their minds are able to process it.

In other news, I have a coffee date with a really cute girl on Sunday :3: I don't know where this confidence is coming from, as I have never actually asked a girl out before (not hyperbole...all past GFs and my ex-wife asked me out first), but I'm kinda liking it.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

I'm a bit more than a bit annoyed. I was away for several hours yesterday for Thanksgiving. Didn't even notice this until today..

Someone put a nice dent-combo-scrape in the Explorer. It was in rather nice shape with only superficial things (grill needs a minor repair and repaint). Looks like I can't even leave things locked behind a fence without having the camera on them at all times, anymore.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

bandman posted:

Where in the great state of jawja are you? Since I have my kids this weekend, I need to know where to avoid so I can keep the younglings from being exposed to critical levels of awesome before their minds are able to process it.

Athens or rather Appling? This dude has like four backhoes four dumb trucks a few skid sters anbf a shotload of land to gently caress around on I like Georgia

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic posted:

Athens or rather Appling? This dude has like four backhoes four dumb trucks a few skid sters anbf a shotload of land to gently caress around on I like Georgia

Oh an poo poo I might get a big rear end vise for my carafe from him tomorrow

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Fury is really, really loving good you guys.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Great. Nothing is sacred if even this place is loaded with fuckin' furries.

:q:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Thelonious posted:

I've always thought something like that Rambler would make the perfect sleeper. Change nothing cosmetically. Don't wash it too often.

Big block and four speed or LSx and t56. Locker rear, dot slicks - definitely keep the poverty caps. Maybe some electric exhaust cutouts.

Dog dish covers are always good choices. That or just plain black steel wheels with chrome lug nuts is another excellent choice.

If anything an AMC 360 could be done on the cheap.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Astro-chat: The earliest vehicle I can ever remember my dad owning was an Astro, I was probably like 4 years old then. From what I recall that was his second or third Astro. I think he's on like 8 or 9 now? He has literally never owned anything but an Astro, except for a beater Corsair that he borrowed for a month or so, for like the last 20-some years. And never, ever a Safari. For whatever reason, he WILL NOT buy a Safari. I loving hate Astros.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Are there any american cars that can be mistaken for Mad Max's big black crowdpleaser because I think one just drove past my work :psyduck:

There was a place in Portland that specialized in importing vintage Aussie muscle cars to the states, could have been a real Falcon. Could you tell if it was LHD or RHD?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Mat_Drinks posted:

gently caress I've got tingles. This makes me glad that I've been avoiding all Star Wars related news. Based on what I'm thinking the timing of the releases is going to be my son may be old enough to see some of them in the theater, that'll be good nerd cred for him when he's older :).

Edit: Hey goons with kids, how old were your kids when you let them start watching Star Wars?

I saw the original Star Wars in the theater at age 6, so when my daughter turned 6 I rented them for her with long breaks in between. I made her watch the original un-special versions (available on disc from Netflix) starting with episode 4. Unfortunately at her age she loved them all including Jar Jar Binks. It's only the last couple years I've had to explain to her why they actually suck. I also let her watch some of the RedLetterMedia reviews of them, skipping the rapey parts.

I watched that teaser, saw December and got super excited. Only to realize I have to wait a year. I just hope the story has more substance than the new Star Treks that Abrams has done, that was the most disappointing thing about the prequels. Edit: I just looked it up and it looks like Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams are writing this one together. I just hope they balance each other out with the cool and the compelling rather than the opposite way it could go. I mean this is the guy who wrote The Bodyguard combined with the guy who took the tragedy out of the Wrath of Kahn.

But yeah, X wing rooster tails really got my motor going. I have a Star Wars nutjob friend who will likely drag me to the opening midnight IMAX 3D showing.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 29, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cage posted:

My dad recently junked his 2002 Astro because it needed a new engine. He had an earlier model before this one, and this latest one made it to 191k miles so not too shabby. I did a quick search and can't believe I found that someone actually made a diecast model for it.

I got it for him for christmas. :3:

Get him one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Jada-Series-Chevy-Astro-Collectible/dp/B006YUAHJE
They come in 1/24 scale, too.

I liked my wife's 2000 Astro. It was smaller than a full-size, but still big enough, and RWD. The Vortec 4.3 would actually move it along nicely, and would take it to the 104 MPH fuel-cut. I put in a remote start and a decent stereo. Never did get around to putting in a subwoofer, though. Ours had the nifty hatch-and-dutch-doors in the rear.

Ramblers:
My grandad had a Rambler American 440 that he delivered rural mail in for umpteen years. That thing took hime through ice and smow and dirt roads all over Parker County, TX. It's still in my parent's field I never thought about doing anything with it because it's a 4-door. Now I'm not so sure that's a problem...
Looks like it's a '66-'69, according to Wikipedia's pictures.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpFoDz3VzUo

Can't talk Astro without posting this.

:colbert:

Edit: Oh yeah, and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuSghb7P7U

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 29, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

LloydDobler posted:

I saw the original Star Wars in the theater at age 6, so when my daughter turned 6 I rented them for her with long breaks in between. I made her watch the original un-special versions (available on disc from Netflix) starting with episode 4. Unfortunately at her age she loved them all including Jar Jar Binks. It's only the last couple years I've had to explain to her why they actually suck. I also let her watch some of the RedLetterMedia reviews of them, skipping the rapey parts.

I watched that teaser, saw December and got super excited. Only to realize I have to wait a year. I just hope the story has more substance than the new Star Treks that Abrams has done, that was the most disappointing thing about the prequels. Edit: I just looked it up and it looks like Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams are writing this one together. I just hope they balance each other out with the cool and the compelling rather than the opposite way it could go. I mean this is the guy who wrote The Bodyguard combined with the guy who took the tragedy out of the Wrath of Kahn.

But yeah, X wing rooster tails really got my motor going. I have a Star Wars nutjob friend who will likely drag me to the opening midnight IMAX 3D showing.

And then it was all ruined by someone thinking quillons on a lightsaber was a good or useful idea. :smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Communism posted:

And then it was all ruined by someone thinking quillons on a lightsaber was a good or useful idea. :smith:

Yeah you're right, the whole movie will be poo poo just because someone decided to make a laser sword look cooler.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Darchangel posted:

Get him one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Jada-Series-Chevy-Astro-Collectible/dp/B006YUAHJE
They come in 1/24 scale, too.

I liked my wife's 2000 Astro. It was smaller than a full-size, but still big enough, and RWD. The Vortec 4.3 would actually move it along nicely, and would take it to the 104 MPH fuel-cut.

:stare:

You're insane.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah you're right, the whole movie will be poo poo just because someone decided to make a laser sword look cooler.

I'm just not as ready to assume everything will be good despite stupid design choices as I was before the last three movies. Don't mind me, it's 8am and I'm grumpy as gently caress.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm just not as ready to assume everything will be good despite stupid design choices as I was before the last three movies. Don't mind me, it's 8am and I'm grumpy as gently caress.

Oh for sure, I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie but there's still a good chance they cocked it all up.

Nerds do love to latch on to the smallest little details and make huge assumptions over them though, and I love heckling them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Im seeing a sort of divide form in the SW fandom over this trailer. It's kind of hilarious how bent out of shape some people are getting over a drat teaser.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Terrible Robot posted:

Oh for sure, I'm cautiously optimistic about this movie but there's still a good chance they cocked it all up.

Nerds do love to latch on to the smallest little details and make huge assumptions over them though, and I love heckling them.

It's just a shame because Luke's original saber was pretty much perfect. Then with the new movies they decided to add a guy with a blade on each end, and then a guy with two light sabers, then a robot fucker thing with four sabers and Yoda is bouncing off the walls.

So when I see a light saber with two little tiny light sabers glued to the handle forgive me for sighing dramatically and adjusting my glasses.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So last year, a local well-known photographer captured quite the scene involving Reunion Tower and some giant ornaments. He had a ton of greeting cards printed up. I never got around to ordering any though.

He released the leftovers last week. Mine showed up today. :neckbeard:

I only wish I got more of them, but they were pretty spendy. Ignore the scratched up look, they're in a plastic box.

e: since a couple of goons are getting them, I'm taking the pic out. :haw:

Sadly, I only have 10, so most of them are going to family/close friends.

Terrible Robot posted:

Went to my friend's place to re-up on :420:, apparently the local ABC store is doing 10% off purchases over $50, soooo there's a ton of liquor here. Welp, time to party. Haven't done this in forever.

A local corner store was doing 50% off on all alcohol - apparently the store had been purchased by Exxon, and it was their last day in business.

:ssh: It's illegal to sell alcohol of any type below cost in Texas, and this was WAY below cost. Still took decent advantage.

The store is now open as an Exxon TigerMart, but they took down the signs that show fuel prices (there's just a pole and frame - no lights, wires just hanging out, etc), and the price at the pump is laughably higher (30c+/gal) than anyone else around. State law requires there be some kind of sign showing prices visible from the street.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 29, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still annoyed with how the Jedi's moved and fought in the Clone Wars. All the stupid stances and posing and AGH gently caress YOU LUCAS.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Meh at least they didn't go full retard...

E21 is torn down and somehow I didn't spill any blood. This means next time I pick up any piece in the garage it will cut me badly. Thought about fighting getting the old bushings out and pressing the new ones in but I don't have a press or a torch so gently caress it. I'll drop stuff off at the local E30 shop have them fight with it. Need to figure out a good way to clean up the parts a bit see post in stupid questions thread then the wait for parts begins. Need to see if the shop can get better price on misc hardware while I'm there, I have everything apart I think I'll just replace any hardware that doesn't look new.

Four day weekends are amazing but now I'm kind of wondering what I'm going to do for the next 1.5 days. I can't drink (on-call) so I think it's going to be netflix, linux 'wargames' and cleaning up old car parts.

Black Friday hurt my wallet and I didn't even have to leave the couch!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

There was a place in Portland that specialized in importing vintage Aussie muscle cars to the states, could have been a real Falcon. Could you tell if it was LHD or RHD?

Traffic and the light levels dropping prevented me from seeing that part of it clearly enough but I just keep coming back to that passenger rear window profile and havent found anything matching. i'm about 90% convinced that It actually was a Falcon.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Maybe some sort of galactic safety standards association formed, and banned all lightsabers that don't have some form of hand protection :v:
seriously though, I always thought the easiest way to win a lightsaber fight would be a quick flick toward your opponent's hand while they're clashing. They cut in any direction and don't seem to have much if any friction against each other so that would be a possibility. the change is functional and makes sense. :goonsay:
It'll be fun to see what Disney does with it though, they've got the resources to do whatever the gently caress and they do know to tread carefully because the fanbase is sperg as hell and expecting them to gently caress up. and if they do gently caress it up it'll be even more fun watching the whole internet light up with spergrage on an epic scale.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Boy oh boy am I glad I am missing the necessary dork genes to give a flying gently caress about a tapped out enterprise created by one good sci-fi movie a guy whose best idea ever was to make walkie talkies out of guns with our technological advancements in the last 40 years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Boy oh boy am I glad I am missing the necessary dork genes to give a flying gently caress about a tapped out enterprise created by one good sci-fi movie a guy whose best idea ever was to make walkie talkies out of guns with our technological advancements in the last 40 years.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I bought Grid Autosport if anyone wants to play.

I also own both Grid 1 and 2 if anyone wants to play those and the servers are still up for them.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I just bought Spintires last night. I haven't played it yet, but I have played the tech demo a couple of months ago. Have to go in to work for a few hours, but someone should play with me tonight. :heysexy:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I think I can mostly PDR the new dent someone put in the Ferd. The paint took a good bashing, though.. but didn't go through to the metal. May just have to sand around the gouge and see how bad it'll look with a bit of rustoleum satin clear shot on it. :dong:

It is barely above freezing, and today was supposed to be the warmest- its' been getting colder since Wednesday, dammit. I was planning on Plastidipping the trim on the Cheby today. :argh:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Why do I want Alfa Romeo t spark so much... It was sold to scrappy and I still want you!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

gently caress, I had to go and jinx myself. "Man, I think this might be the first year where my car isn't messing up and needing some expensive repair around the holidays, gently caress yes!"

And now one of my pulleys is making a lovely grinding, scratching sound and (i'm assuming) randomly catching and locking up, because I smelt the delightful smell of burning rubber last night while my car was idling and saw traces of rubber flecks around the front of my motor. Damnit :sigh:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nevermind that... Think I might spend tomorrow morning crawling around pull-a-part.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 29, 2014

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

More Georgia shenanigans:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=frYUU_ISgUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Ugh, was playing outside in the light Seattle snow with my kid and managed to slip on ice on concrete while running. I luckily got my hands up in time to avert breaking teeth or anything permanent, but still managed to crack my head good. I've got that annoying swimmy drunk feeling that means I must have a mild concussion (which I know from my Rugby days).

So I won't say fuck2014.gif yet, but definitely fuckice.gif and gently caress concussions because now I've got to sit and zone out while it clears up. No nap today!

• Locked thread