Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Tippis posted:

Still on the 3, but you use ⌥3 rather than Shift-3 to get it.

I don't know if my keyboard has a ⌥ key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Okay, it's not like the 2 with the @ and the euro sign on it though. Weird.

My guess is that Apple designers somehow assume Brits will need to find @ and € more often than # (or at least have done so historically).

Compare this with the Swedish keyboard, where the number row is lacking any apparent $ or £ signs for no conceivable reason (but they are on the keys where you'd expect them):

That said, I'd (not actually) buy a similar one-key USB thingamajig in a heartbeat if it sent The Standard FPS Console Key™ to my games, since it's impossible to know if the game will use scan codes (meaning none of the keys will be correct) or character input (meaning a key on the opposite side of the keyboard is correct) or read keyboard mapping numbers (meaning it'll be the first key on the number row).

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Most UK keyboards don't have a euro symbol on them fwiw. None of mine have had. Which is a little inconvinient since I buy my keyboards from back home and use them in mainland Europe (but gently caress euro layout keyboards, can't live with the @ and the " switched up).

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
This $250 4 piece plywood sound corner invention is definitely worth it. Way better than buying a portable speaker.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Athletic Footjob posted:

This $250 4 piece plywood sound corner invention is definitely worth it. Way better than buying a portable speaker.

Tone Wood!

Why does it cost $250, looks like $10 from home depot.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

skudmunky posted:

Tone Wood!

Serious answer: it sounds subjectively better when it's more expensive. Funny little psychological trick.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Wow, they couldn't even be bothered to make it out of actual wood, just went all in on some shappy-looking plywood instead.

skudmunky posted:

That looks like it has maybe a square foot of plywood in it. A 4x8 sheet of plywood from Home Depot will set you back about $40 [or $1.25 per square foot].

You could even get a table saw to cut the plywood for less than $250 at Home Depot.

Great Rumbler has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Nov 27, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Athletic Footjob posted:

If it's "very simple to make" why is he charging $250? It might be a fun little weekend project to make yourself, but why I don't undersstand the market appeal of this.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

OldMemes posted:

If it's "very simple to make" why is he charging $250? It might be a fun little weekend project to make yourself, but why I don't undersstand the market appeal of this.

Audiophiles pay top dollar for bullshit. They pay hundreds of dollars to replace the knobs on their stereos with special tone wood knobs that really give the music a warm and rich tone. (they don't do poo poo. usually don't even look better than the regular knobs)

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
The fplus taught me that audiophiles are in equal parts gullible and rich.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Audiophiles pay top dollar for bullshit. They pay hundreds of dollars to replace the knobs on their stereos with special tone wood knobs that really give the music a warm and rich tone. (they don't do poo poo. usually don't even look better than the regular knobs)

audiophiles, sommeliers, and fitness gurus are like the real-world equivalent iPhones, zombies, and furries being Kickstarter goldmines

people really like blowing exorbitant amounts of money for that sweet sweet placebo effect that comes with being told by an "expert" that slapping a bag of magic sand on your speakers and drinking certain wines during certain phases of the moon and wrapping your arms in magic colored tape will make everything better

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

audiophiles, sommeliers, and fitness gurus are like the real-world equivalent iPhones, zombies, and furries being Kickstarter goldmines

people really like blowing exorbitant amounts of money for that sweet sweet placebo effect that comes with being told by an "expert" that slapping a bag of magic sand on your speakers and drinking certain wines during certain phases of the moon and wrapping your arms in magic colored tape will make everything better

At least when you buy an expensive bottle of wine that's supposed to taste so much better than a normal bottle of wine, at the end of the day you have a bottle of wine. Audiophiles will pay for literally nothing.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Modern Day Hercules posted:

the one thing they don't do is listen to music out of their drat phone. this thing is for some weirder smaller market. "minimalists" maybe.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It's like the whiskey rocks: a product for people who aren't really hardcore enthusiasts of X, but would like to think they are.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

disgraced and disowned "tech bro nightmare" Pax Dickson suddenly has a very keen interest in ethics in journalism

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

BKPR posted:

the one thing they don't do is listen to music out of their drat phone. this thing is for some weirder smaller market. "minimalists" maybe.

There's a wide variety of crazy in the "audiophile" community. I'm sure there's some pocket of weirdos who think playing music through some emulated DAC on their specialty iPhone app is super awesome for on the go. These were people who bought 1st generation Playstation 1 consoles in droves and put up with the terrible interface because they thought the DAC sounded better in the PSX than in their multi-thousand dollar CD player.

edit: I just Googled this and found people who were modding their first generation Playstations to put in tubes and make the output less noisy.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 07:46 on Nov 28, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Is this some more desperate #gamerghazi bullshit or something?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
there is literally zero chance that an indiegogo project that claims to be about "exposing corruption in the media industry" is not about jerking off gamergaters

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Well obviously the journalists that reported on his racism and sexism were corrupt for doing so.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RottenK posted:

there is literally zero chance that an indiegogo project that claims to be about "exposing corruption in the media industry" is not about jerking off gamergaters

quote:

Journalists are powerful. A well-known web journalist has vastly more influence than a junior member of the House of Representatives. Yet we don't elect journalists. No one votes to confirm a nomination to 'Politics Editor'. An Op-Ed writer can't be impeached. Politicians are held accountable for wrongdoing regularly. Journalists are accountable to no one.

:laffo:

quote:

To strike back at dishonest journalism, we are starting an organization called ExposeCorruption.Org. We will fund investigative research into prominent agenda-driven media figures and publish a hyperlinked database of their ideological biases and secret skeletons.

quote:

We seek to immediately raise $25,000 to build a website and begin funding deep investigations into uncovering the corruption and hypocrisy of the prominent powerful media public figures who dictate the cultural narrative of our society. We’ll seek further funding to expand the project once the infrastructure has been built and plan to map out the entire web of connections, nepotism, and shady influence that make up the modern Journalism-Industrial Complex.

quote:

We as a group have seen we are not alone in our disgust. In video gaming culture a widespread consumer revolt over journalism ethics is raging right now. As someone who has personally suffered from media malpractice, Pax Dickinson is in a good position to take action. He has the organizational chops and the management ability to see this project through. As an organization, we will be relentless in our pursuit of accountability for those who have avoided it. If funded, we vow on our contributors’ behalf that we will use every legal tactic available to expose these 'thought police' to the light of public scrutiny.

Yes it's about GG

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

moerketid posted:

Most UK keyboards don't have a euro symbol on them fwiw. None of mine have had. Which is a little inconvinient since I buy my keyboards from back home and use them in mainland Europe (but gently caress euro layout keyboards, can't live with the @ and the " switched up).

You can get a € on a UK keyboard layout by pressing alt-gr + 4.

Why do so many people seem to think that they can make a sucessful business via kickstarter. Oh once it's open it'll basically run itself. Business... Plan?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1090802984/uriels-hope-comics-and-gaming?ref=category
Help me open my comic book store... I need money to buy a sofa! You can all live there! :downs:

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 14:54 on Nov 28, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="DStecks"
[/quote]

It's great because one of the tweets that got him fired was basically "can't live off of minimum wage? Free market, bitch :smug:" and now he's whining that that invisible hand of the free market is the only thing regulating journalists

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I just love the insinuation outright declaration that Anita Sarkeesian has more influence than people who decide the laws of the world's only superpower.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

DStecks posted:

:laffo:

Yes it's about GG

Now I have to Google who "Pax Dickinson" is ....

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Kickended

A site that randomly accesses Kickstarters that ended with $0

the amount of art and film projects is about what you'd expect.

http://kickended.com/projects/1409787593/
The fact this wasn't funded is tragic.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/509430931/faradair-new-eco-aircraft-called-beha?ref=discovery

Some pie-in-the-sky concept for a diesel-electric airplane, with not a whole lot of evidence that these guys know what they're doing.

quote:

The aircraft will employ solar skin panels and wind turbine technology for energy recovery. These technologies are not the primary power source for the electric motors, but simply additional trickle charge capability.

If they had done any meaningful research, they'd know that:

a. Even the best solar cells, when mounted on a light plane as per their concept, wouldn't generate nearly enough power to be worth the cost or weight.

b. Mounting a wind turbine on a plane would, according to the laws of thermodynamics, inevitably take away more energy that it would produce.

And what's up with the triplane design? I was under the impression that the reason triplanes haven't been produced since World War I is because the extra wing produced extra drag - exactly what you don't want in a plane designed for maximum gas mileage.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can tell someone know what's what when he wants to setup a windmill on his car, free energy :downs:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cockmaster posted:

And what's up with the triplane design? I was under the impression that the reason triplanes haven't been produced since World War I is because the extra wing produced extra drag - exactly what you don't want in a plane designed for maximum gas mileage.

Well, that's just fitting for the concept, isn't it? After all, the whole solar cell idea effectively means that we're stepping back to the 1910s–20s anyway in terms of how easily aircraft are grounded by freak weather phenomena such as clouds, rain, fog, and night.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RottenK posted:

He's the posterchild for Gamergate though. Racist, sexist, self-entitled "brogrammer*" who got fired after his company was informed about his twitter tirades since they apparently didn't care or didn't look beofre hiring him.

*Anyone who uses this to refer to themselves should be put to death.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/509430931/faradair-new-eco-aircraft-called-beha?ref=discovery

Some pie-in-the-sky concept for a diesel-electric airplane, with not a whole lot of evidence that these guys know what they're doing.

If they had done any meaningful research, they'd know that:

a. Even the best solar cells, when mounted on a light plane as per their concept, wouldn't generate nearly enough power to be worth the cost or weight.

b. Mounting a wind turbine on a plane would, according to the laws of thermodynamics, inevitably take away more energy that it would produce.

The main reason tri-wings ain't used anymore is they add expense and complexity that's unneeded, not so much about too much drag (the added drag is pretty much canceled out by having extra lifting surface). They're just unsuitable for any sort of really fast flying, much like biplane designs.

The whole idea behind bi and tri planes int he beginning was that we had heavy weak motors available and thus needed to have the planes as light as possible. With then-current technology this meant that you couldn't design a suitable single-wing design that would generate enough lift while staying strong and stiff enough to not flap apart. Both biplane and triplane designs allowed for using common materials, increased lifting surface area, and installing bracing between the sets of wings to keep it rigid enough to fly and strong enough to not fall apart.

Eventually better technology came around and biplanes and triplanes were obsoleted for just about everything. Some are still made because people want to use their unique flight characteristics or for use restaging historical events.

Incidentally, the first solar powered airplane that could carry a dude was a biplane: The 1979 Mauro Solar Riser, built out of a commercially produced hang glider design

Separately, that kickstarter projects method of tri-wing design actually has almost no visible struts betweent he layers, meaning it actually removes a lot of the areodynamic disadvantages of traditional triplanes. That's not to say it would work well in practice, just they at least removed the single biggest issue triwings had.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

The main reason tri-wings ain't used anymore is they add expense and complexity that's unneeded, not so much about too much drag (the added drag is pretty much canceled out by having extra lifting surface). They're just unsuitable for any sort of really fast flying, much like biplane designs.

The whole idea behind bi and tri planes int he beginning was that we had heavy weak motors available and thus needed to have the planes as light as possible. With then-current technology this meant that you couldn't design a suitable single-wing design that would generate enough lift while staying strong and stiff enough to not flap apart. Both biplane and triplane designs allowed for using common materials, increased lifting surface area, and installing bracing between the sets of wings to keep it rigid enough to fly and strong enough to not fall apart.

Eventually better technology came around and biplanes and triplanes were obsoleted for just about everything. Some are still made because people want to use their unique flight characteristics or for use restaging historical events.

Incidentally, the first solar powered airplane that could carry a dude was a biplane: The 1979 Mauro Solar Riser, built out of a commercially produced hang glider design

Separately, that kickstarter projects method of tri-wing design actually has almost no visible struts betweent he layers, meaning it actually removes a lot of the areodynamic disadvantages of traditional triplanes. That's not to say it would work well in practice, just they at least removed the single biggest issue triwings had.

It still looks like it won't fly very well. All they had was a 3d model; it doesn't look like they even bothered to recreate it in X-Plane or do any of the basic aerodynamics programs that are surely available. If they had, they would've been part of the pitch video.

Two 200hp electric fans are mounted right on the plane's cabin, and they vent directly into the pusher prop box. Wiki tells me that a push-pull configuration means the rear engine is about 70% efficient because of how the forward engine disturbs the air, and usually the propellers are symmetrical. This thing has two smaller, faster props on either side loving with the pusher's air.

Of course, the solar won't provide enough electricity to make it worth the weight, and the 'wind turbine power generation' (a Ram-Air Turbine, in other words), are really only on planes with a surplus of power to shove the turbine through the air. And flaps on each set of wings? How much weight is that going to add?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh my God.

Oh my God.

OH MY GOD.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

quote:

The name comes from the French "Grand" that means "Tall" and "Le" meaning "The".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh my God.

Oh my God.

OH MY GOD.

All it needs is that it be constructed of plastic mesh weave in the back and foam panel with an ironic graphic on the front and have a fedora brim and it will be Peak Douchebag.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Have you ever dreamed of wearing a baseball cap with a tuxedo?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking that's Elmer Fudd's hat.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Have you ever dreamed of wearing a baseball cap with a tuxedo?

The only suit I can see that hat even remotely working with is a zoot suit, and that's because everyone looks stupid wearing a zoot suit so might as well go all the way.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It's British Bobby meets equestrian hat meets complete loving tool

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
So this ring that was supposed to let you control everything through hand gestures:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1761670738/ring-shortcut-everything

is apparently a terrible product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBUWxROnqwA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tippis posted:

After all, the whole solar cell idea effectively means that we're stepping back to the 1910s–20s anyway in terms of how easily aircraft are grounded by freak weather phenomena such as clouds, rain, fog, and night.

So it's kinda steampunk then, isn't it? Seems like they have the right idea for the marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So it's kinda steampunk then, isn't it? Seems like they have the right idea for the marketplace.

https://www.tumblr.com/search/solarpunk