Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HiveCommander posted:

The auto-win idea was so good that Square Enix ended up using it in FF13, so you could let the game play itself for the first 20 hours that it takes for it to actually become good :v:

If you have to wait 20 hours for a game to stop being bad, it isn't good, it's Stockholme Syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

The auto-win idea was so good that Square Enix ended up using it in FF13, so you could let the game play itself for the first 20 hours that it takes for it to actually become good :v:

The only other game besides those two that I can think of that had that feature is the second Lunar game. Earthbound has that auto-win function for enemies you outclass heavily but I think that's sort of a different concept.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you have to wait 20 hours for a game to stop being bad, it isn't good, it's Stockholme Syndrome.
It doesn't really become good but people keep saying it to make others suffer.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

For good reason, it's a dumb 'feature' that defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Square Enix, if you're going to make a game that plays itself, make a movie instead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HiveCommander posted:

For good reason, it's a dumb 'feature' that defeats the purpose of playing the game in the first place.

Square Enix, if you're going to make a game that plays itself, make a movie instead.

They tried that once, and they had to set fire to their movie division and run afterwards.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Wasn't Advent Children absurdly popular though? Maybe I just know too many diehard FF fans IRL.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Spirits Within definitely wasn't!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Yes, a huge benefit. If you completely complete Arc 1 you'll get a ton of stuff, mostly the complete version of Choko's plotline and an enormous collection of items. It takes a long while to actually get to them, but once you get free reign you can go to Chongara's shop and just hoover up all the treasure chests there. You'll also get the components for the Romancing Stone if you got all four in Arc 1, which completely wipes out MP costs for whoever has it.

Also you can recruit Choko in Shantae's first or second chapter if you import by only going slightly off the path. Shantae starts that one on the same island where Choko is found and it's a very long time in the story before you revisit it. Choko makes the early game MUCH easier.

Note: there is a bit trickier fight during the recruitment, but it's doable at that point.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, I remember seeing that goddamn clown and just being: "Right, I wonder who this ginger fucker is working for." Then it turns out that he's the loving main and almost sole villain?

I mean, the Queen and the idiot romance mostly worked out, the son-pirate was heartwarming and sorta cool (MOMMA!) in a dumb way but if they had tried to make a worse villain I don't see how they coulda.

Gongora in Lost Odyssey was just magnificent. Like, both of my roommates just saw this guy march on the scene with his goatee, eye-shadow, and sinister Seymour-esque theme music, but the game really, really, really wanted us to believe that he was a good guy and was totally sincere in helping Ugly Tidus-looking motherfucker to become King. Like his lines were delivered in a fashion where even the voice actor didn't even seem convinced. At one point, Gongora saves the King from an obvious plot that he manufactured, and his delivery of "Sir, even though I was on house arrest, I still saw through this plot and rushed to save you" was so entirely unconvincing that it was fascinating.

To be honest, the dude kind of became a running joke the more we played. And it's not like he's even that much better when he does reveal that he is a mustache-twirling evil villain.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

Spirits Within definitely wasn't!
I never actually heard of that one, and a quick Google search assures me that there's nothing to miss out on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HiveCommander posted:

I never actually heard of that one
Just the way Squenix likes it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MechaX posted:

Gongora in Lost Odyssey was just magnificent.

Oh yeah, I love Gongora. He's just such a jackass and the game doesn't even try to pretend like he isn't, they don't do curveballs with him or anything. Also he has some of the best final boss music I've ever heard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

I never actually heard of that one, and a quick Google search assures me that there's nothing to miss out on.
Actualyl there is something to miss out on.

Not in the movie itself but that film bombed so badly that Square nearly went bankrupt. It's the reason the Enix merger happened.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You're missing out on Steve Buscemi in an FF movie though.
And James Woods apparently?

HGH fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 29, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Endorph posted:

Actualyl there is something to miss out on.

Not in the movie itself but that film bombed so badly that Square nearly went bankrupt. It's the reason the Enix merger happened.

I thought someone in the FF thread said the Enix Merger was going to happen anyway, but the movie bombing actually delayed the merger.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

I thought someone in the FF thread said the Enix Merger was going to happen anyway, but the movie bombing actually delayed the merger.

Yeah, that was probably Sunning, and iirc s/he also said that the movie bombing changed it from a merger to a buyout.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Annointed posted:

Could you guys recommend me an SRPG with more modern sensibilities like Disgaea? By that I mean options for faster movement and the option to animations and cut-scenes. Also not a necessity but it would be nice to have multiple victory conditions.

I do like the genre but I also don't like how slow it can be such as FFTA2.

Sadly the field is pretty bare these days. I'm going to assume you're familiar with the biggest names in the genre (Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics). A useful question to ask is whether you're more interested in the Tactics Ogre family (heavily customizable armies with nameless generic units, to which Disgaea belongs) or the Fire Emblem/Super Robot Wars family (much more narrow customization, all player characters are named). I'm going to assume you're not nerdy enough to be interested in the SRW series.

There were apparently a couple good ones on the PSP but I only played Wild ARMs XF and the Tactics Ogre remake. The first was fairly good with varied and interesting (though sometimes frustrating) win conditions and a fair amount of team customization. The Tactics Ogre remake is...frustrating. It's a fantastic setting and a good story, but the good gameplay ideas are hampered by absolutely baffling design decisions and a pretty slow pacing. You might look into the Jeanne D'Arc game; I haven't played it but a lot of people said it's good so it probably is.

If you're willing to play more of N1's stuff, I can't recommend Soul Nomad enough, but it's going to be a pain in the rear end to find a copy, and sadly N1 doesn't want to touch the game except to offer its characters as DLC cameos. Most of their other previous games are pretty dated, though

While they're not strictly SRPGs, the Growlanser games were pretty good -- especially the second one, which had the most varied win conditions as well as a good, challenging difficulty. Good loving luck finding a copy of Growlanser Generations in order to play it -- Working Designs is dead (for good reasons) and it barely got a print run. I got about an hour and a half into Growlanser: Heritage of War and although it played like a good Growlanser game, I couldn't stomach the anime so you're on your own with that one. If you're a weirdo like me you might also enjoy Langrisser 2/Der Langrisser from the same developers. They're old SRPGs that have all the "modern" aspects you're referring to and are well worth playing even today in my opinion.

Shortly after Final Fantasy Tactics was released, there was a bit of an explosion in the genre. Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 are supposedly good, but I haven't played them. Saiyuki: Journey to the West was pretty good but I've never been a big fan of its model as a typical JRPG but with grid-based combat. If you're a massive weirdo who's obsessed with the genre like me, actually no forget about that game. Vanguard Bandits was pretty drat good despite suffering a bit from Working Designs-itis -- it mostly borrowed elements from the Super Robot Wars series while adding to the formula in a good way, but like a lot of early PSX titles way, way too much money was spent on horrendous early-3D battle animations that should have gone into making a bigger, better game. Fortunately the animations can be turned off so you never have to look at those monstrosities.

On the DS, there's Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2. They're also not strictly SRPGs, but they're solid games in my view. You might also enjoy Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume for it's unique narrative and gameplay mechanics; it's not exactly a good game, but it's pretty compelling nonetheless.

I guess in the end the answer is "not really." Nippon Ichi at this point is almost entirely focused on pumping out mainline Disgaea games and then immediately porting them to handheld, Super Robot Wars is way out of reach for most non-Japanese (or Japanese-speaking) people mostly for legal reasons, and everyone's familiar with Fire Emblem at this point so there's no reason to talk about it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you're going to both mention PSP titles and Growlanser, you may as well mention Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, which is a cool game. The character designs are also the most sparkly anime, it owns

Sting makes good games too, Yggdra Union is great and so is Gungnir

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Hey now......Record of Agarest War.....

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Is bad and not worth checking out.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cake Attack posted:

Did...did we play different Sting games named Gungnir?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

i thought it was fun

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is bad and not worth checking out.

oh c'mon now how funny would it have been

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Sting games seem to be really divisive.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Heavy neutrino posted:

On the DS, there's Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 1 and 2. They're also not strictly SRPGs, but they're solid games in my view. You might also enjoy Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the Plume for it's unique narrative and gameplay mechanics; it's not exactly a good game, but it's pretty compelling nonetheless.

I liked the game even though I thought Wilfred was a bit of an emo mess. The battle/gameplay was fun to go through until the last portion of Route A, when all the enemies kinda outleveled you and got a bit annoying. But I suppose that's par for the course when it comes to Valkyrie Profile.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
If you like SRPGs play Hoshigami. As the sole fan of that game, I can say it is very good.

The Tactics Ogre: LUCT remake is the best SRPG forever, though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

Sting games seem to be really divisive.

Sting games are, to put it bluntly, weird as poo poo. I don't think it's really surprising they're divisive because you really have to get into understanding and playing wtih their weird-rear end mechanics to make any sort of headway into them, and they sure don't do a lot to make that easy.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

if you're going to both mention PSP titles and Growlanser, you may as well mention Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, which is a cool game. The character designs are also the most sparkly anime, it owns

Yeah I don't have much experience with the PSP in general so I only mentioned the games that came to mind but if Wayfarer of Time is good you should probably look into it. Heritage of War is also possibly good but after running you through several different scenarios that introduce compelling characters around the game world it settles into the story of four boring losers and one of them is... look my heart just couldn't take it.

As for Sting's stuff, I didn't mention it for a reason -- I don't care for any of it at all. Yggdra Union was a weird puzzle game that vaguely took the form of something that might look like a SRPG if you squint, and eh I didn't like any of it.

MotU posted:

If you like SRPGs play Hoshigami. As the sole fan of that game, I can say it is very good.

I will loving fight you

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Variant_Eris posted:

I liked the game even though I thought Wilfred was a bit of an emo mess. The battle/gameplay was fun to go through until the last portion of Route A, when all the enemies kinda outleveled you and got a bit annoying. But I suppose that's par for the course when it comes to Valkyrie Profile.

Big fan of SMT, and devil survivor 1 and 2 were fun.

But those boobs, man. Those boobs. I just.... I just cannot. :psyduck:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Gungnir is probably the only Sting game of recent memory I didn't like. The attack mechanics were just a bit too weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Variant_Eris posted:

The last part of Route A can be pretty easily gotten through by being careful about your skill and strategy setup.

Honestly, I though VP:CotP was a legitimately good SRPG. I know people got upset about the Sin system but the game was designed with it in mind and makes good use of it. You can go through the game three times and only see the same first chapter, using the Plume makes successive playthroughs easier, and you need to see all three endings to get the bonus dungeon anyway so there's no point in holding back for your first run or two. (I mean I did it anyway but it isn't remotely necessary.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

CotP rules, no shame in that opinion.

Also I freely admit to being a weird person for whom Sting mechanics are perfect

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

I will loving fight you

I legit don't know why people hate it, I only see it come up in conversations as being bad. I beat it on PSX and DS I had no issues with it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I miss the PS2 era when NIS made non-Disgaea SRPGs. Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad are two of my favorite games.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Cake Attack posted:

CotP rules, no shame in that opinion.

Also I freely admit to being a weird person for whom Sting mechanics are perfect
I mean, I was a big fan of Riviera, and was alright with Yggdra Union. But Sting has this weird fetish for player-unfriendly stamina mechanics and important things you can only use x times before they break, which make me just uncomfortable enough that Knights in the Nightmare and Gungnir crossed the line into "weird bad experience" for me.

Also I'd say the PSP Tactics Ogre was really good, despite some really questionable design decisions and often punishing difficulty. Everything about it just screams polish and thought went into it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

I miss the PS2 era when NIS made non-Disgaea SRPGs. Phantom Brave and Soul Nomad are two of my favorite games.

yeah, i always did kinda like their non-disgaea franchises more

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

We're getting Soul Nomad Vita right after Makai Kingdom Vita. Mark my words.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

MotU posted:

I legit don't know why people hate it, I only see it come up in conversations as being bad. I beat it on PSX and DS I had no issues with it

I liked Hoshigami so much that I LP'd it. Kinda. It's a bad game. I love it. I love that bad game.

Endorph posted:

Good and correct opinions are being posted right now.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Heavy neutrino posted:

I liked Hoshigami so much that I LP'd it. Kinda. It's a bad game. I love it. I love that bad game.

I'm a masochist with a lot of games, but Hoshigami crossed a line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Heavy neutrino posted:

All I know is what when I mentioned it with a group of friends when we were talking about obscure games we liked, they all acted like I poo poo in the middle of the floor when I said that I liked it