Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010
I did a hard mode run today with ??? and amazingly enough got godhead out of an angel room along the way. I finished the run and checked the item page and godhead wasn't a question mark any more. Since then I've been loving around resetting trying to get the raw liver, and weirdly, the kamikaze, to show up (or anything to get a meat boy run going :suicide:). Once I found the kamikaze, I checked the item page and now godhead is a question mark again. I also just noticed that now the game is showing that I haven't done any hard mode boss with ???, even though that's impossible since I have the dead baby achievement. It has everything else I've done recently (also did hard mode runs with Cain and Judas that are still there).

The same thing happened with MissingNo, I got it out of a secret room during some run or another a while ago (that I probably reset), and it's still a question mark on the item page.

Don't know what happened there, but I'm super excited about getting them to drop again! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Maybe the Lost should start with the Goat Head instead? That way its still hard as balls but you just have a much better chance of obtaining at least the Dead Cat each run, or the Holy Mantle if you're trying for it.

I'm still trying to make a Super Meat Boy/Bandage Girl via the Chest and Monster Manual method. It is tedious, but probably still less aggravating than getting a Mr. Fred or Headless Horseman in Womb I.

Sporkles posted:

I did a hard mode run today with ??? and amazingly enough got godhead out of an angel room along the way. I finished the run and checked the item page and godhead wasn't a question mark any more. Since then I've been loving around resetting trying to get the raw liver, and weirdly, the kamikaze, to show up (or anything to get a meat boy run going :suicide:). Once I found the kamikaze, I checked the item page and now godhead is a question mark again. I also just noticed that now the game is showing that I haven't done any hard mode boss with ???, even though that's impossible since I have the dead baby achievement. It has everything else I've done recently (also did hard mode runs with Cain and Judas that are still there).

The same thing happened with MissingNo, I got it out of a secret room during some run or another a while ago (that I probably reset), and it's still a question mark on the item page.

Don't know what happened there, but I'm super excited about getting them to drop again! :(

That is odd, and sucks. I really hope that doesnt happen to me, it took ages trying to get the Lotus and Missing No. What platform are you playing on?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Starting with the Goat Head would be amazing. I almost never get devil/angel rooms as the Lost and it's irritating when that's his one benefit.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
So today I got my boss rush, heart and satan kills on Judas.

Triple Shot Brimstone with Whore of Babylon, Book of Belial, the Pact and the Pentagram is one hell of a drug.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 29, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

My life is complete.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Three times I've seen the black market.

Three times I've had curse of the blind.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

TheModernAmerican posted:

Three times I've seen the black market.

Three times I've had curse of the blind.

Also in this game a good rule is never, ever go down to a floor and even let yourself think "well I'll be ok, so long as I don't get curse of X". Just don't do it.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Got my first Isaac kill. Maggie with poo poo-all for offensive upgrades with the exception of Lil Brimstone, but defensively I had Infamy and Holy Mantle. Dare I suggest he was not that difficult to kill? Just hanging out in the corners of the room saved me from most of his bullet hell stuff.

Also I found something (horrible) out:

Don't try to fight Scolex with Magnetic Tears. Just don't.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 30, 2014

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

So the wiki is a loving liar and Chocolate Milk does not reverse picking up Anti-Gravity :argh:

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

drunken officeparty posted:

So the wiki is a loving liar and Chocolate Milk does not reverse picking up Anti-Gravity :argh:

Never trust wikis when it comes to Binding of Isaac stuff.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
Jeez, little CHAD and devil beggar buddy are a game changer. Yes devil room, take my hearts, they're in the way. Definitely one of my better runs.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finally had a run ruined by that stupid white ball charging shot item. Teleport on being hit is lame.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
:catstare:

Apparently this can happen if you have explosive tears that are... large enough.

Yes, you can OOB into the black market with this.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Hahaha holy poo poo Ludovico Technique + Magnetic Tears is hilarious. Your mobile tear is a gravitational vortex of inescapable doom. Just had an easy-as-pie ??? kill that way as Eve.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

strangemusic posted:

Don't try to fight Scolex with Magnetic Tears. Just don't.

On the contrary everyone should try this right now. I got that I think on the Waka Waka challenge and it was hilarious.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Getting better with The Lost, inasmuch as you can get better with him. I've reached Mom a few times... unfortunately, once you have to start dodging poo poo from that many sides at once, it becomes nigh impossible. Also just had a Mom's Knife/Book of Shadows run end on Depths 1. Maybe the most frustrated I've ever been with a game. I can't get anywhere even with on-demand invincibility, for gently caress's sakes.

I want Bisnap to hit this point in his save(s). I want to see how someone who's actually burned knowledge of the game (like damage multipliers and poo poo) to memory handles this garbage.

I also want to know who the hell started the myth that the Goat Head prevents stomp damage, because that's straight up a lie. I've tested it with The Lost! Figured what the hell, I'm gonna reach Satan at some point down the line, I should find out for myself before I reach him. So I entered the Mom fight and let her get the initial stomp off. Needless to say, that run was not a success.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only fought Mom once as the Lost since starting to play with him yesterday. I can usually get to the Depths/Necropolis but it's really frustrating sometimes. Like when I think I've dodged something but the very edge clips me and I die. Also some bosses are way more worrying as the Lost. Like Pin, since he can pop out of the ground anywhere even if you're up against the bottom wall he can jump out right in your face and make it really hard to dodge. But nothing's worse than getting the Gnawed Leaf and Ludovico Technique and then walking right into one of those white flies that orbit poop. :saddowns: I was just before Mom, too.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ChibiSoma posted:

Getting better with The Lost, inasmuch as you can get better with him. I've reached Mom a few times... unfortunately, once you have to start dodging poo poo from that many sides at once, it becomes nigh impossible. Also just had a Mom's Knife/Book of Shadows run end on Depths 1. Maybe the most frustrated I've ever been with a game. I can't get anywhere even with on-demand invincibility, for gently caress's sakes.

I want Bisnap to hit this point in his save(s). I want to see how someone who's actually burned knowledge of the game (like damage multipliers and poo poo) to memory handles this garbage.

I also want to know who the hell started the myth that the Goat Head prevents stomp damage, because that's straight up a lie. I've tested it with The Lost! Figured what the hell, I'm gonna reach Satan at some point down the line, I should find out for myself before I reach him. So I entered the Mom fight and let her get the initial stomp off. Needless to say, that run was not a success.

The difference is that mom's "stomp" is actually a bomb explosion cleverly hidden behind her model. I think the stomps the goat head is said to prevent are things like Leapers jumping on top of you, but I'm not sure about that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Is there a bug with the d4 or something? I just had 4 or 5 rerolls in a row where I kept quad shot + tiny planet + dr. fetus. I couldn't do anything without blowing myself up. Luckily, I had an ankh and a dead cat so I got to blow myself up during the Isaac fight 10 times instead of just once.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 30, 2014

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've only fought Mom once as the Lost since starting to play with him yesterday. I can usually get to the Depths/Necropolis but it's really frustrating sometimes. Like when I think I've dodged something but the very edge clips me and I die. Also some bosses are way more worrying as the Lost. Like Pin, since he can pop out of the ground anywhere even if you're up against the bottom wall he can jump out right in your face and make it really hard to dodge. But nothing's worse than getting the Gnawed Leaf and Ludovico Technique and then walking right into one of those white flies that orbit poop. :saddowns: I was just before Mom, too.

With the Pin, stand by the middle of either of the side walls. When he jumps, run either up or down and shoot in the opposite direction. Shoot him when he shows his head, but watch for where his exploding shot will land.

The white flies really are the worst. I once entered a room by a sideway door, and had one of those directly above me. Might have been the end of that run, I'm not sure. Scenarios like that are why the Dead Cat is so important.

Beeme fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 30, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know how to deal with Pin. He can still pop up right next to you when you're against the walls.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Quick tip for lost runs: restart until your first floor is XL. That guarantees you 4 treasures (2x treasure room + 2x boss room) and a likely devil room on your first floor.

Sporkles
Mar 15, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

That is odd, and sucks. I really hope that doesnt happen to me, it took ages trying to get the Lotus and Missing No. What platform are you playing on?

I'm on PC - I honestly don't know why it happened, the game didn't crash or anything, my progress on that run seems to have just vanished into thin air. I eventually got godhead again by spending 2 hours watching trashy tv, rerolling an angel room, and waiting for my health to regen from the placenta. I think I went through every single other angel room item first. That sure was fun! Still need to finish unlocking the babies and meat boy, though.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I know how to deal with Pin. He can still pop up right next to you when you're against the walls.

The left and right walls? I don't think so. You said it happened against the bottom wall. If you're against the left or right wall, he'll always pop up roughly in the middle, with some vertical variation. Give it a try.

Ruggan posted:

Quick tip for lost runs: restart until your first floor is XL. That guarantees you 4 treasures (2x treasure room + 2x boss room) and a likely devil room on your first floor.

The devil room is pretty much guaranteed, AFAIK. Since you can't take red heart damage as the Lost, he always gets the second floor Devil Room. What you get out of that first devil room is certainly a deciding factor of how successful that Lost run is going to be.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So...how do Mom's Knife or Death's Touch scythes synergize with Ipecac/Mirror? I've got a Suicide King run with a Devil Deal room where I can get either.

I'll probably take the knife as I'm pretty sure it won't explode/fly back and stab me.

Beeme
Oct 7, 2013

Alkydere posted:

So...how do Mom's Knife or Death's Touch scythes synergize with Ipecac/Mirror? I've got a Suicide King run with a Devil Deal room where I can get either.

I'll probably take the knife as I'm pretty sure it won't explode/fly back and stab me.

I know the Death's Touch only turns your exploding tear into an exploding scythe with added damage. I'm curious whether the the mom's knife with mirror will change it's behavior in any way, but I'm pretty sure it won't explode.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Beeme posted:

I know the Death's Touch only turns your exploding tear into an exploding scythe with added damage. I'm curious whether the the mom's knife with mirror will change it's behavior in any way, but I'm pretty sure it won't explode.

Took the knife. Gave me a green knife (like something out of a minecraft mod) that acted otherwise normal. And then died because I had piss all health, kept running to rooms with the drybone bone-chucking dudes and horribly suck.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
If you have Ipecac and pick up Libra you will lose a lot of damage but gain almost Soy Milk-like fire rate. I figured that would allow me to basically carpet bomb everything. I was wrong.

To properly carpet bomb everything you also want 20/20 and Cricket's Body! :barf::tubular:
The downside, and I hesitate to accuse anything this awesome of having any downside at all, is that I can't see what the hell is going in the entire half of the room that I've decided to rain down my vengeance upon.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I just finished the purist with not a single DPS increase. No fire rate, no damage, not even any fire speed. On Depths XL I bought the Bible and an Emperor card with a credit card (because of course I don't have enough cash for anything) and manage to slug my way through Womb 1 and into a loving double Fallen fight that I actually get through somehow. Then I pres Q and space and win.

And all I got for it was this lousy rune.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I would up doing a boss rush with Eden just so I could have homing Brimstone. Worth it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Ludovico + Magnetic Tears + Parasite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvzET6gJ8qk

:stare:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I should get Dead Boy+ for beating both the Lamb and Mega Satan without taking damage, though Guppy Azazel with a million damage upgrades makes it a foregone conclusion really.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Suicide King attempt 1: get devil deal for knife (as mentioned earlier), die horribly with no health due to lack of range/slow charge up and I suck.

Attempt 2: get a re-roll room and get tri-shot Brimstone, Maggie's Wig, power of money with money-dropping items and utterly vaporize everything...until I run into way too many laser-eyes in and before It Lives that zap me because I take like a full minute to charge.

Attempt 3: Finally get the hang if boomerang-IPECAC (look at the shadow), get Whip Worm, trash everything, die to Isaac when I'm one shot from victory, nearly have a heart attack before realizing I'm motherfucking Lazarus as I respawn. :black101:

Well, that's another horrible challenge down. Frustrating but still not nearly as bad as the hairball one.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Good god I hate brimstone and any charged shot item. It wouldn't be so loving terrible if it wasn't bugged to hell for me and doesn't charge right half the time or fires by itself for no reason.

I also hate loving trapdoors and not being able to know if it will automatically take me to the next floor or if it's an item room.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 30, 2014

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Does Pulse Worm affect damage if you have a size-dependent damage modifier? For example, proptosis? Platinum God says it seems to be cosmetic only, but I bet it has a synergy with those types of tear modifiers..

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

drunken officeparty posted:

Good god I hate brimstone and any charged shot item. It wouldn't be so loving terrible if it wasn't bugged to hell for me and doesn't charge right half the time or fires by itself for no reason.

I also hate loving trapdoors and not being able to know if it will automatically take me to the next floor or if it's an item room.

If the trapdoor has a ladder in it, it'll lead you to a retro treasure room or a black market, if there's no ladder it's just a level skip.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So uh... Apparently if you freeze stage 2 Satan with Mom's Contact or a similar item when he's low on health, and then finish off his health bar before he flies away, he dies at Stage 2.

Go figure. What a pleasant surprise for my Lost run.

On to the Lamb.

:ohdear:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Poizen Jam posted:

So uh... Apparently if you freeze stage 2 Satan with Mom's Contact or a similar item when he's low on health, and then finish off his health bar before he flies away, he dies at Stage 2.

On to the Lamb.

A lot of bosses have tricks like this where you can skip forms. The Haunt is vulnerable for a split-second when you enter the room. So, theoretically, if you did enough damage to it right when you entered then you could kill it before it did it's The Haunt thing.

The other thing is that The Haunt gets wrecked by bombs because they will lock him in place. It only takes 2-3 to take him down to near death so that should be a good strategy for people who are having trouble with him. If you're Blue Baby you probably could lock him in the corner with The Poop.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 30, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I knew about the haunt trick (him being vulnerable for a split second) from my crazy mega-tears runs. Usually by the time you're that powerful he's not much of a threat anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Poizen Jam posted:

On to the Lamb.

Yup, as I mentioned early today you can do the same thing with the Blastocyst (not that Blastocyst is a hard boss), as well as most likely Fistula/Terratoma and Envy/Super Envy. They both become immortal for a moment before they split. If you freeze them right before they won't have that chance to become immortal, and DOTs apparently still damage them during that stage.

Also, loving goddamn, dual cage in a single room, bane of my existence. Had a really good ??? run going, had both maps so I could see that the only path to the boss was through a normal room...with dual Cages.