Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So admittedly I did the Alt+F4 scum once on the Lamb but now I'm done with The Lost forever. Or at least until the expansion is released. gently caress that poo poo. Back to playing the game like normal and actually having fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have D6, Scapular, and Sharp Plug. I want to spam the Monster Manual until I make a Meat Boy. I'm in Womb 1 with the Polaroid. What do I do? I know it's possible, and I'm trying to figure out how.

I know I have to reroll in the Chest until I get the Manual, obviously. But where's the source of health to make it profitable? I haven't seen either half of Wafer+Yum Heart, is that my best bet?

e: No idea if I've seen Placenta yet, but I think I haven't. Rerolling the boss item on Womb now, or rather when I come back to the game. But assume I have, so it's worst-case scenario!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 30, 2014

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I think I figured out the best way to give The Lost the needed buffing to run with it, but you gotta work for it. Have an update that indicates when a character has beaten Mega Satan (probably a goat head or pentagram). If you kill Mega Satan with every other character besides The Lost, then The Lost will start with a Holy Mantle. It gives a way to make Lost runs feasible and reason to replay all the characters.

Edit: Aaand maybe add new unlock for each character for Mega Satan.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 30, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have D6, Scapular, and Sharp Plug. I want to spam the Monster Manual until I make a Meat Boy. I'm in Womb 1 with the Polaroid. What do I do? I know it's possible, and I'm trying to figure out how.

Well, with the scapular and sharp plug, you also need The Wafer. If you get that, you can charge your item for a half heart instead of two hearts.

Get a full charge on the d6, then go to the Chest. CLEAR ONE ROOM BEFORE YOU START REROLLING. This is necessary because the Sharp Plug only works with a completely empty item.

Go back to the starting room, open gold chests, reroll if necessary, keep rerolling until you're down to 1 heart. The next reroll you get with the sharp plug will take you down to 1 heart, activating your scapular and giving you a soul heart.

Leave the room and come back. Your scapular is recharged and you get two more rerolls. NEVER FORGET TO LEAVE THE ROOM ONCE YOUR SCAPULAR ACTIVATES.

Repeat ad nauseum.

-----------------------------------

The other good infinite source of healing is Pyromaniac + Explosions (Ipecac, Fetus).

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know I have to reroll in the Chest until I get the Manual, obviously. But where's the source of health to make it profitable? I haven't seen either half of Wafer+Yum Heart, is that my best bet?

e: No idea if I've seen Placenta yet, but I think I haven't. Rerolling the boss item on Womb now, or rather when I come back to the game. But assume I have, so it's worst-case scenario!

As far as I know the best bets for infinite hp for rerolling are the placenta, the wafer+scapular mentioned above, or pyromaniac and dr/epic fetus/ipecac/kamikaze/mom's toenail maybe. Barring having any of those items, it'd be helpful to have any of these: humbling bundle (for the dual heart drops), contract from below (for even more dual drops), little chad, the fanny pack, bloody penny maybe, and/or the cursed tail. Basically you're hoping to reroll the four chests at the beginning so that you get some combo of the items that will help you infinitely reroll or near infinitely reroll (e.g. pyromaniac+99 bombs), or the d20 so you can start going to another room and multiplying items (which will maybe provide enough extra hearts to keep rerolling if you dont have a decent combo for rerolls). If you can swing it somehow, a blank card and the perthro rune would be great too, as its only a 4 room charge instead of a 6 room for the d6. Never pick up the little bag of pills in shops though, as it turns all tarots AND rune drops into pills, try to get the starter deck instead.

I'm still trying to do this myself, and just having no luck with my runs. Or at least any where I actually manage to get the sharp plug.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Alkydere posted:

Also, loving goddamn, dual cage in a single room, bane of my existence. Had a really good ??? run going, had both maps so I could see that the only path to the boss was through a normal room...with dual Cages.

Yeah double cage/gurdy Jr. rooms are awful because they bounce off each other resulting in their movement being super erratic. Best way to deal with is just focus one down as quickly as possible but if you haven't had good luck with damage that can still take too long.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I had to gently caress up and unlock the cellar on the save I made for the lost, apparently killing gemini out of order on the womb still counts.

Still, it's really fun playing isaac on a save where you avoid unlocking all the crap items and only have the abundance rune. Every rune is an abundance rune. Earning the change rune for that save would be nice too.

e:

Alkydere posted:

Also, loving goddamn, dual cage in a single room, bane of my existence. Had a really good ??? run going, had both maps so I could see that the only path to the boss was through a normal room...with dual Cages.
I had a double cage right before the boss room. Decided it was harder than the lamb and popped my book of belial on that room, still lost like 4 spirit hearts. Then I killed the lamb getting hit only once.

Sanctum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 30, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Re: Monster Manuel Meat Boy

Be warned: any method where you have to wait for poo poo to happen (mom's tonail, placenta) is going to be hell. It took me about twenty minutes of non-stop Monster Manuelling using pyro+epic fetus, which is about one use of the Manual every 6 seconds, to get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. If this is the very last thing you need, then my advice is to reset until you get either Pyro, some kind of explosive shot, or scapular on the first floor, then go from there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I loving hate conquest.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
:bang: Mom's Knife + Sacred Heart run with The Lost ended in the room just before the Mom fight because it gave me about six Teratoma clusters. Thanks, game. Thanks for that.

Even if I'd have gotten Holy Mantle, it wouldn't have helped. I would've needed the Book of Shadows for that room, which would've left me empty for the boss itself. There's no such thing as a good Lost run.

E: Ahahahaa gently caress every loving rear end in a top hat involved in The Lost's creation. Mom's Knife + Stopwatch run ends in the Womb because those loving Lumps can pop up directly under you. That's it, I'm done. This game is poo poo. The Lost on his own manages to completely ruin the entire package. If they hadn't put items behind boss kills, if that all wasn't required for Real Platinum God, then fine. Throw him in as a joke. But this? When you get every item needed to win and still loving die because enemies can spawn directly under you? That's bullshit.

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 30, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I looked at the Lost mod that guy made and it turns out the way to mod all of the character loadouts (and challenges) is super simple, it's just a tiny XML sheet that lists the character starting stats and equipment. You can't change any of the stats but you can modify the loadout however you want. So if you are resigned to restart for an item like Dead Cat or Holy Mantle a hundred times, you can make your life easier and just mod to begin with it. Or you can break the game in half from the very start. As soon as you're done you can just delete the file and the game goes back to the defaults.

It's also pretty neat for messing around with item combos you've never gotten. The template mod is here, you can see the only thing changed is the two extra items and trinket on the Lost. The file goes in the resources folder. Item IDs are at Platinumgod and the other IDs are here: http://pastebin.com/SM0vSvcU

I know some people are very disappointed in the filthy casuals who can't handle the Lost but this made my life a lot easier and let me compromise in my own way.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Do seeded runs save your donation machine contributions? Can I find one with a first floor dollar or something and do it over and over to fill it up?

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

drunken officeparty posted:

Do seeded runs save your donation machine contributions? Can I find one with a first floor dollar or something and do it over and over to fill it up?
Pretty sure the donation machine doesn't even show up on seeded runs.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
It can be extremely prudent to just bomb out of rooms such as that teratoma one as the lost instead of splitting it up into smaller bits/spiders/etc.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
nah seeded runs are pretty pointless unless you like, play issac for fun... loving weirdo

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Also as far as the donation machine goes, I grinded up the last 300 cents in a couple hours by just using Azazel and rushing through everything, checking secret rooms until I had at least 10 cents then opening a shop, in most situations it seems like the machine will jam in the first 10 cents, once it does I restarted. Rinse and repeat.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm going to ask a really weird question: Does anyone actually care about the story/style of the game? I have to admit that the weirdness, grossness, and vague story is what drew me to the game in the first place.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Fun way to do a full screen kill: 20/20 + Death's Touch + The Parasite + Monstro's Lung + Rubber Cement. Had this on my ??? run, and it basically destroyed everything in the room, anything that survived the initial hit was chewed to pieces by the bouncing remnants on the parasite shots. So satisfying

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

Good god I hate brimstone and any charged shot item. It wouldn't be so loving terrible if it wasn't bugged to hell for me and doesn't charge right half the time or fires by itself for no reason.

I had that problem when I played on keyboard (G15 if that matters). After I switched to X360 pad it's flawless. I suspect it's my keyboard though, it sometimes seem to double letters when I type.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ruggan posted:

Quick tip for lost runs: restart until your first floor is XL. That guarantees you 4 treasures (2x treasure room + 2x boss room) and a likely devil room on your first floor.

So by Caves 1 you have... potentially less treasure than you could have if you didn't have Curse of the Labyrinth (as you lose out on a secret room and a shop)

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So by Caves 1 you have... potentially less treasure than you could have if you didn't have Curse of the Labyrinth (as you lose out on a secret room and a shop)

And a devil room, if you're lucky enough to get a joker card on the first floor!

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
So what is that item I'm missing?

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Wup, that was a pretty good Suicide King run.

Experimental Treatment shuffled my stats to give me max shot speed and max damage, and I got Piggy Bank and Magic Fingers, which helped me easily take out troubling rooms/bosses in the Womb/Cathedral.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

KingShiro posted:

So what is that item I'm missing?

Missingno. It is a secret room item.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ChibiSoma posted:

:bang: Mom's Knife + Sacred Heart run with The Lost ended in the room just before the Mom fight because it gave me about six Teratoma clusters. Thanks, game. Thanks for that.

Even if I'd have gotten Holy Mantle, it wouldn't have helped. I would've needed the Book of Shadows for that room, which would've left me empty for the boss itself. There's no such thing as a good Lost run.

E: Ahahahaa gently caress every loving rear end in a top hat involved in The Lost's creation. Mom's Knife + Stopwatch run ends in the Womb because those loving Lumps can pop up directly under you. That's it, I'm done. This game is poo poo. The Lost on his own manages to completely ruin the entire package. If they hadn't put items behind boss kills, if that all wasn't required for Real Platinum God, then fine. Throw him in as a joke. But this? When you get every item needed to win and still loving die because enemies can spawn directly under you? That's bullshit.

You know, you could just NOT play as him. His items are all broken jokes so you aren't missing much. Unless you really want to add godhead to the pool and have another instant win item.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

13/f/cali posted:

Missingno. It is a secret room item.

Got it now. TPG status, ho!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

ChibiSoma posted:

E: Ahahahaa gently caress every loving rear end in a top hat involved in The Lost's creation. Mom's Knife + Stopwatch run ends in the Womb because those loving Lumps can pop up directly under you. That's it, I'm done. This game is poo poo.

Dude just scum it or cheat it if it's bothering you that much. If you get hit, quickly pause the game, then Hit ALT+F4 and when you continue you'll restart at the beginning of the floor. Heck, you can even 'quick save' after each room with this method by 'exiting' and 'continuing', so when you do the alt+F4 scum it'll just send you back to the last time you exited and continued.

It's a single player game. Nobody cares if you cheat. And if they do they've got some pretty weird hang ups. I genuinely do not find the Lost fun because of the constant restarting to get viable runs and useless items on top of that, so when I got knocked out on the Lamb I said gently caress it and scummed. People scammed the dead cat as quick as they could before the initial update hit, so this is no worse.

Warning: the above method fucks up devil room deals tremendously. For whatever reason the items that are in the devil room at your time of death are removed from the item pool. So you still want to do as well as you can otherwise you'll be super frustrated and underpowered at the end.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 30, 2014

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

After causing me to ragequit three times yesterday, the game has attempted to make it up to me. Polyphemus and Rubber Cement on level 1, rerolled a treasure item into a Halo, then the Wafer in an Angel room. All by Caves II. Thank you, game!

Also, Polyphemus/Rubber Cement is an awesome combo.

Edit: And just rerolled into Scythes. AND just got the Mask of Infamy. Praise Jebus!

Editx2: And Holy Mantle and the Gnawed Leaf.

SW9L
XVB2

This poo poo is just throwing the win at me!

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 30, 2014

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

How to save a lovely run (Eden started with 2 cat items, zero damage upgrades by Depths)

omeg fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 30, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Easy- Take Brimstone, then DeadCat is Free (1 heart trade in, but gives you 1 heart), then take Satanic Bible. This will leave you with 1 soul heart and 1/2 a sin heart, with the ability to generate more.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your comment as 'How to HAVE a lovely run'

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Rubber Cement and Cricket's Body is a fun combo.

Until your PHD and Pill Bottle give you a dozen Tears Up. Then you lose enemy tears in the room full of yours, getting hit constantly. :negative:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Poizen Jam posted:

Easy- Take Brimstone, then DeadCat is Free (1 heart trade in, but gives you 1 heart), then take Satanic Bible. This will leave you with 1 soul heart and 1/2 a sin heart, with the ability to generate more.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your comment as 'How to HAVE a lovely run'

Don't forget the health down pill, it turns into a health up one if you have >2 hp.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mr Tastee posted:

I'm going to ask a really weird question: Does anyone actually care about the story/style of the game? I have to admit that the weirdness, grossness, and vague story is what drew me to the game in the first place.

I play the game in spite of those things, because the gameplay is fun, challenging, and full of variety. I don't share Edmund's apparent belief that poop is the pinnacle of comedy, but it's not enough to get me to stop playing a good game.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Mr Tastee posted:

I like to read/hear about Ed's mindset and philosophy on this whole thing. That's down to my religious upbringing and education, and my sperginess. This is the kind of thing I'm happy to over-analyze and over-intellectualize.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I'm starting to think the sharp plug is my favorite new item. With sharp plug + the wafer + scapular + d6, you can force the game to give you pretty much anything you want.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012
So I just had an Azazel run with orbit+tammy's head. Seems like it would be enough to kill literally anything, super nice. Also habit so I could keep doing it.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Such a difficult choice.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Should I save ???'s unlocks for later? I keep trying runs as him that end in failure, and some better items could help with that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Should I save ???'s unlocks for later? I keep trying runs as him that end in failure, and some better items could help with that.

he's perfectly doable early and ???'s only friend and the d6 are fantastic items. so if you want those, just try a bit till you start with something good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

Definitely try for an Isaac kill at least. That unlocks the D6 and makes it Isaac's starting item, which is really nice.