Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

This happens in the Gnostic gospel of Judas, and is incorporated into The Last Temptation of Christ.

The idea of Israel as being "necessary for prophecy" is something I have never heard from any Israel supporter, although it's often mentioned by critics, so I think it's a straw man. It sounds like a particularly ridiculous belief. I think the main reason conservative people like Israel is that it separates people into cohesive, traditionalist groups.

I just want to say that you calling someone else's beliefs ridiculous while posting some of the things you have posted ITT (Willfully suppressing your critical thinking?) is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kyrie eleison posted:

Because I think it is better than diaspora. I think the Jews deserve a homeland, and that it is most fitting for their religion that it be the land known as Israel, as that land is essential to their faith. I would definitely rather that it be in Jewish hands than Islamic hands.

I don't think Jews deserve violence because of things they wrote about Christians while under Christian domination. I am looking for something that is fair and works out best for everybody.

How is it fair for some foreigner to come in and say "I'd rather this ethnic group have this land than this other one because it gives me warm fuzzies"? How is the status quo best for everyone? Or do you mean Arabs should forcibly be expelled from Israel, regardless of whether they're Israeli citizens?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Nessus posted:

It is rarely stated in such a direct sense, but it's certainly been high on the list of "Reasons Why This Is Totally The End Times, Guys". Presumably if Israel becomes West Jordan, Neo-Palestine, or Crazy Bibi's Discount Settlement Hut and Falafel Joint in the next few decades, it would imply it is now less likely that Revelations will literally come true AND SOON, so it's a thing to be avoided.

Right, since traditional Protestant/evangelical Christianity states that there will be war declared on Israel, and God will miraculously save Israel with his hand, Israel is thus necessary for their view of Revelation to be fulfilled. I mean this is laid out pretty prominently in Left Behind, which isn't a guy writing ironic strawman versions of Christian End Times beliefs, he genuinely believes this stuff. And since the existence of Israel is necessary for his belief of how things will go down, Israel is thus required to exist.

So yeah, they don't flat out say "I support Israel because they are necessary for the Second Coming" but that is ultimately the reason they do support Israel. Their actual response for supporting Israel is the Old Testament verses where God basically says to Israel, "Whatever country is your ally I will bless, and whatever country is your enemy I will curse." US Christians believe that if we oppose Israel, God will send his wrath on the US to destroy it. In fact there's a Chick tract that states the reason that Great Britain fell from being a great empire is because of their actions during/after World War II.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Kyrie eleison posted:

Your Talmud says Jesus is boiling in excrement forever, so do not tell me you have no Hell.

I am not religious myself, but I would like to address this.

The passage in question is from the Midrash- it relates a story about a Roman convert to Judaism called Onekos. Onekos summons three "enemies of Israel" who all are suffering exaggerated punishments in the afterlife, and of course regret ever defaming the Jews. One of those people, Yeshu, might be Jesus of Nazareth, or he could be one of the other people calledyeshu mentioned in the Talmud.

The Talmud is an enormous compilation of speculative rabbinical commentaries. Like the rest of the Talmud, it's speculative musings, and it wouldn't have been taken at face value back in 500 CE, let alone now. Citing a section of the Talmud and claiming it represents the "position" of Jews at any time, or a statement of Jewish ontology, is to miss entirely why the Talmud was composed, and how Jews have related to it throughout history.

The only people who cite this out of context Jesus's supposed suffering in the Talmud are Islamists and people like David Duke, Icke, Rense dot com(google Kyrie's claim). It's regrettable that KE's conception of the Jewish afterlife is primarily informed by a slur. I am curious as to how KE even became aware of this passage.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Twelve by Pies posted:

Right, since traditional Protestant/evangelical Christianity states that there will be war declared on Israel, and God will miraculously save Israel with his hand, Israel is thus necessary for their view of Revelation to be fulfilled. I mean this is laid out pretty prominently in Left Behind, which isn't a guy writing ironic strawman versions of Christian End Times beliefs, he genuinely believes this stuff. And since the existence of Israel is necessary for his belief of how things will go down, Israel is thus required to exist.

So yeah, they don't flat out say "I support Israel because they are necessary for the Second Coming" but that is ultimately the reason they do support Israel. Their actual response for supporting Israel is the Old Testament verses where God basically says to Israel, "Whatever country is your ally I will bless, and whatever country is your enemy I will curse." US Christians believe that if we oppose Israel, God will send his wrath on the US to destroy it. In fact there's a Chick tract that states the reason that Great Britain fell from being a great empire is because of their actions during/after World War II.

But Christianity (at least traditional Christianity) associates the word "Israel" with the Christian people, not with the land called Israel. Many hymns quote the Old Testament, using words such as Israel or Zion or Jerusalem or the promised land, but Christians interpret these things differently, and believe we are the true spiritual descendants of the ancient Israelites.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Dilkington posted:

I am not religious myself, but I would like to address this.

The passage in question is from the Midrash- it relates a story about a Roman convert to Judaism called Onekos. Onekos summons three "enemies of Israel" who all are suffering exaggerated punishments in the afterlife, and of course regret ever defaming the Jews. One of those people, Yeshu, might be Jesus of Nazareth, or he could be one of the other people calledyeshu mentioned in the Talmud.

The Talmud is an enormous compilation of speculative rabbinical commentaries. Like the rest of the Talmud, it's speculative musings, and it wouldn't have been taken at face value back in 500 CE, let alone now. Citing a section of the Talmud and claiming it represents the "position" of Jews at any time, or a statement of Jewish ontology, is to miss entirely why the Talmud was composed, and how Jews have related to it throughout history.

The only people who cite this out of context Jesus's supposed suffering in the Talmud are Islamists and people like David Duke, Icke, Rense dot com(google Kyrie's claim). It's regrettable that KE's conception of the Jewish afterlife is primarily informed by a slur. I am curious as to how KE even became aware of this passage.

I was told about it by an Israeli friend of mine, incidentally, whom I like to discuss religion with. But one can also find it by looking up the wiki page on Jesus in the Talmud.

I know that the official line is that there is only Sheol, which is essentially a metaphor for permanent death. But the Talmud cannot be so easily shrugged off with how it talks about Jesus. My point is only that neither Scripture nor Talmud are so cut-and-dry about the human afterlife, with Elijah resurrecting a boy from the dead, and himself ascending to Heaven. Quotes from the prophets include Daniel 12:2, and Isaiah 26:19. The books of Maccabees, particularly 2 Maccabees chapter 7 shows Second Temple-era Jews claiming resurrection.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kyrie eleison posted:

I was told about it by an Israeli friend of mine, incidentally, whom I like to discuss religion with. But one can also find it by looking up the wiki page on Jesus in the Talmud.

I know that the official line is that there is only Sheol, which is essentially a metaphor for permanent death. But the Talmud cannot be so easily shrugged off with how it talks about Jesus. My point is only that neither Scripture nor Talmud are so cut-and-dry about the human afterlife, with Elijah resurrecting a boy from the dead, and himself ascending to Heaven. Quotes from the prophets include Daniel 12:2, and Isaiah 26:19. The books of Maccabees, particularly 2 Maccabees chapter 7 shows Second Temple-era Jews claiming resurrection.
The Talmud, while held in high esteem, is a lot more like Thomas Aquinas's work than it is holy scripture. There is not a perfect equation here, of course, but if you want to judge the Jews by every offhand remark in Talmud, I sure hope you can stand to have Catholic thought judged by every Papal bull or philosophical tract.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I put myself at the mercy of all those reading this thread- let me be cursed to wander the earth forever if I "shrugged off" the Talmud's references to Jesus.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

But Christianity (at least traditional Christianity) associates the word "Israel" with the Christian people, not with the land called Israel.

And traditional Christianity believes bad things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people, and that neither that man nor his parents sinned that he should be born blind.

US evangelical Christianity is not traditional Christianity, it is a weird perversion of it. Evangelical Christians believe that the Israel in the Middle East right now is the same Israel the bible talks about and that all the OT prophecies and statements regarding it are still in effect. This might be because of the huge emphasis put on "literalism" in it, belief that everything in the bible must be completely 100% literal and factual, I can't say. It could just be that evangelicals see Israel as a useful ally for operations in the Middle East and justified their support of the country after the fact with the verses. I have no idea, but the point is that there are absolutely many Christians in the US who believe that Israel is basically a "useful idiot" for bringing about the Second Coming and staying in God's favor by supporting them.

The rebuilding of the temple in Israel is another big thing in some Christian views of the end times, and there's even been people who have been trying to breed an unblemished red heifer since that's supposed to be another sign of the end in some interpretations.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Kyrie's thing is that he's allegedly Catholic but "Christians are Israelis" is not Catholic at all. We're Gentiles bro that's why we don't do the whole circumcision thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nessus posted:

it is neither moral nor immoral to pick your nose, for instance.

Says you.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Twelve by Pies posted:

there's even been people who have been trying to breed an unblemished red heifer since that's supposed to be another sign of the end in some interpretations.
Is this a real thing? I've read about this in fiction, but not real life.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

twodot posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_Institute

quote:

In recent years, the institute identified two candidates, one in 1997 and another in 2002.[5] The Temple Institute had initially declared both kosher, but later found each to be unsuitable.

DrProsek posted:

Kyrie's thing is that he's allegedly Catholic but "Christians are Israelis" is not Catholic at all.

Oh yeah I'm familiar with Kyrie, from the prosperity gospel thread we had here a while back. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not to take his posts seriously but for the moment at least I'm going to treat them as if they're genuine. His claim of "Israel is interpreted as the Christian faith" is something I hadn't heard before and it makes sense now that you've said that, but even if it was true, US evangelical Christianity is so far removed from traditional Christian beliefs/teachings that I was willing to accept okay, sure, this is just another thing they're wrong about.

But even back when I was a fairly strongly conservative Christian I still didn't buy the lines about the OT prophecies about Israel referring to the current country of Israel.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

twodot posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Temple_Institute

quote:

In addition to a variety of items required for service within the Temple, the institute has attempted to locate a parah adumah (red heifer) consistent with the requirements of Numbers 19:1–22 and Mishnah Tractate Parah for purposes of taharah (purification) necessary to enter the Temple sanctuary proper in most circumstances. In recent years, the institute identified two candidates, one in 1997 and another in 2002. The Temple Institute had initially declared both kosher, but later found each to be unsuitable.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/apocalypse/readings/forcing.html

quote:

As Lott read the Bible that day, he realized that the Second Coming and the fate of humankind now depended on the red heifer. In order for the Jews to rebuild the Temple and prepare the way for the return of the Messiah they must be purified with the ashes of a red heifer.
--
"I will never forget as long as I live walking into Mr. Manning's office that day and just the cold shock on his face of seeing someone coming out of the hayfield--bluejeans, tennis shoes, baseball cap, dirty and smelly--and walking into his office unannounced and saying,'I have read the Bible and the Bible says Israel has to have a red heifer,"' Lott said later in one of many testimonials to Evangelical congregations in the South. "For some reason, he didn't kick me out of his office." Instead, Manning wrote a letter to an attaché at the American Embassy in Athens who was in charge of agricultural exports to the Middle East. "We have been approached by a producer and seller of cattle from the state of Mississippi and I am quoting him in the following," Manning wrote, and the letter went on:

"Red Angus cattle suitable for Old Testament Biblical sacrifices, will have no blemish or off color hair, genetically red will reproduce red, eye, nose pigmentation will be dark, heifers at a year old will weigh approximately 600 to 700 pounds. These cattle will adapt quickly to Middle Eastern climate, also excellent beef quality."

Manning's letter was bounced to a State Department official, who rerouted it to the American Embassy in Tel Aviv, where it was forwarded to the Israeli Ministry of Religious Affairs. Someone there eventually thought to send it to the Temple Institute, a private organization of religious Jews in Jerusalem who suspect--like Lott--that the End Time may be near and are dedicated to rebuilding the Temple. The letter arrived on the desk of Rabbi Chaim Richman, ninety days after Manning posted it.
Never underestimate the lengths crazy people will go to in order to force God's hand and kickstart the apocalypse. Nevermind the fact that's it's blasphemous as gently caress to try to change conditions here on earth in order to force God to do stuff ahead of "schedule", the apocalypse has just gotta happen any day now. It totally has to happen before I die, since I can't enjoy going to heaven while watching all those heathens burn in hell otherwise.

(The real answer is because death is scary, and an apocalypse/rapture means the rapture believers don't have to face the fear of death/the unknown.:ssh:)

fade5 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 30, 2014

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

DrProsek posted:

Kyrie's thing is that he's allegedly Catholic but "Christians are Israelis" is not Catholic at all. We're Gentiles bro that's why we don't do the whole circumcision thing.

He means the Old Testament Israelites are read as a metaphor for the Christian Church.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
No seriously what are works and are they related in some way to your cosmic gamerscore?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is giving a guy some weed cause his car broke down a Good Work? I feel that it is cause he was more positive and upbeat after this humble show of fellowship.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sharkie posted:

Is giving a guy some weed cause his car broke down a Good Work? I feel that it is cause he was more positive and upbeat after this humble show of fellowship.
The Lord seems to be OK with moderate intake of wine, so I don't think giving a guy some weed would be much different.

e: Of course this assumes you're in a place where weed is legal, since it'd probably be wrong to maybe get a guy in trouble with his drug test or the law, however low the odds.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Nov 30, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

No seriously what are works and are they related in some way to your cosmic gamerscore?

The way I've consistently seen "faith without works is dead" explained (admittedly by Protestant pastors so Kyrie's interpretation may be different) is that you're not saved by your good works but they're a sign that your faith and repentance are genuine. If you claim you have faith in Christ but your actions in the world don't reflect that this is considered an indication that your repentence may not be legitimate and you need to ask yourself whether you truly understand the gospel and what has been done for you.

Basically, good works are a natural consequence of true belief in Christ and if they're not there that says bad things about the strength or honesty of the belief.

Torka fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Nov 30, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

Works are only related to your cosmic gamerscore if you're Catholic or maybe Orthodox. If you're Protestant then they're more like the points in Whose Line Is it Anyway and the only thing that matters is if you said the magic words.

Unless of course you didn't say the magic words in the right way, in which case, you're still hosed. See Chick tracts where someone says the magic words but is Catholic or a Freemason, or even missionaries who build hospitals and schools in a third world country but still go to Hell because they didn't say the magic words in the right way.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

DrProsek posted:

You are wrong. Christians are considered to be Israel. It has nothing to do with circumcision (which the Church holds to be unnecessary). There isn't a clearer example of this than Galatians 6:15-16. When we listen to OT verses, we are not hearing about Jews, we are learning about our own history as the people of God. Look also at CCC 877 for a Church authority on the matter. The "New Jerusalem", first prophesied in Ezekiel, and upheld in Revelation, is not talking about the literal city, but a Heavenly Jerusalem.

Paul does also refer to Jews as Israelites, and as "Israel from the flesh"; but Christians are held to be the true Israel. Due to the existence of the nation of Israel, I would not say that Christians are "Israeli" just to avoid confusion, and one has to use context cues to make it clear which you are referring to.

Furthermore there are Jews who are Christians, and therefore are not gentiles, and may even (if they choose) practice circumcision and other traditional Jewish law, according to Paul, who was very interested in how Jews and gentiles would co-exist in the Christian church.

The red heifer thing (once parodied on South Park) is dumb. I think this is a pretty fringe belief, though, not something that is responsible for widespread conservative support of the nation of Israel.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

You are wrong. Christians are considered to be Israel. It has nothing to do with circumcision (which the Church holds to be unnecessary). There isn't a clearer example of this than Galatians 6:15-16. When we listen to OT verses, we are not hearing about Jews, we are learning about our own history as the people of God. Look also at CCC 877 for a Church authority on the matter. The "New Jerusalem", first prophesied in Ezekiel, and upheld in Revelation, is not talking about the literal city, but a Heavenly Jerusalem.

Paul does also refer to Jews as Israelites, and as "Israel from the flesh"; but Christians are held to be the true Israel. Due to the existence of the nation of Israel, I would not say that Christians are "Israeli" just to avoid confusion, and one has to use context cues to make it clear which you are referring to.

Furthermore there are Jews who are Christians, and therefore are not gentiles, and may even (if they choose) practice circumcision and other traditional Jewish law, according to Paul, who was very interested in how Jews and gentiles would co-exist in the Christian church.
Answer: with the auto-da-fe. :v: But hey, the Torah wasn't really FOR them, after all!

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Nessus posted:

Answer: with the auto-da-fe. :v: But hey, the Torah wasn't really FOR them, after all!

I was clearly talking about Christian Jews in that context.

sgnl05
Jan 16, 2007
Lurker

Torka posted:

The way I've consistently seen "faith without works is dead" explained (admittedly by Protestant pastors so Kyrie's interpretation may be different) is that you're not saved by your good works but they're a sign that your faith and repentance are genuine. If you claim you have faith in Christ but your actions in the world don't reflect that this is considered an indication that your repentence may not be legitimate and you need to ask yourself whether you truly understand the gospel and what has been done for you.

Basically, good works are a natural consequence of true belief in Christ and if they're not there that says bad things about the strength or honesty of the belief.

It will be different since he's Catholic, yeah. Protestants believe in salvation through faith alone so the problem for them becomes trying to make sense of passages like James (faith without works is dead) where the author certainly seems to be saying that faith on its own isn't enough and good works are also required. The way they do this is by saying that the works are really God's and he performs them through the believer as a consequence of their faith. In my mind this is a seriously tendentious reading of James though; it's worth noting that Luther thought that James was teaching works based salvation, and his solution was just to claim that James wasn't inspired like Paul was. Most modern Protestants would be seriously uncomfortable with this solution though.

For Catholics, the problem becomes making sense of passages that do seem to support the Protestant doctrine. for instance:

Ephesians 2:8-10: For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrie eleison posted:

The red heifer thing (once parodied on South Park) is dumb. I think this is a pretty fringe belief, though, not something that is responsible for widespread conservative support of the nation of Israel.

The red heifer thing itself may be kind of fringe, but believing that the Temple must be rebuilt so that Jesus can return is very much not a fringe belief, it is probably a majority belief in the US in the Protestant community (possibly even some of the US Catholic community as well).

But Israel being necessary to fulfill End Times prophecy is absolutely and unquestionably responsible for widespread conservative support of Israel, at least on the religious side. For atheists, it's probably more a matter of them being a strong ally in the Middle East against all the Muslim countries.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kyrie eleison posted:

I was clearly talking about Christian Jews in that context.
For that last bit, sure, but as for the rest, really? The Old Testament is "for" the Christian church? I suppose this may be your official doctrine, which you did not write; but in light of this you can't be surprised if some Talmudic writer dropped some disses on this (to his perspective) fictional character that was like a skin of his people being worn for a costume by the people who, at best, tolerated their very existence and the exercise of their religion.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Kyrie eleison posted:

Cool theory but not a single example to support it, possibly because everything was done exclusively in Latin until 1965.

-james I and the church of england commissioning the king james english version to cut off the radical puritan influence from the english translation of the geneva bible

-missionaries in southern africa speaking in local vernaculars while trying to keep the written version in original colonizers' language. However, local vernacular bibles end up being made allowing local beliefs to supercede colonial authority. It doesn't matter what the official vatican or church of england stance is for those in faraway places once that happens; what matters is what is established there. From some essay:

quote:

10 Surveys show that the incidence of founding new, independent churches was higher
amongst communities in possession of vernacular Bibles (cf Bediako 1994:246; Combrink
1996b:282; cf Schaaf 1994:208), where local communities could engage the texts and their
meaning on the communities’ own terms. The vernacular Bible was taken as “proof” of a link
between the local divinities and the God of the Bible, and that “they embody God’s revelation
and truth” through the translation (Nthamburi and Waruta 1997:43; cf Mbiti 1986:29-31). In
one example, the translation of the Christian Testament into Gikuyu in 1926 coincided with
the conflict between Christian missionaries and Gikuyu Christians about traditions and
customs, e g polygamy, dance and female circumcision, and resulted in the founding of the
Akurinu church in 1927 (Ndungu 1997:60).

12 Cf Dahunsi (1972:117-120). This is, however, not unlike the early years of Christianity,
where translated Bibles would present those on the frontier zones of the Roman Empire with
the first literary corpus of their future reservoir of national literature; examples include the
Armenian, Ethiopic and Old Slavonic translations (Trebolle Barrera 1998:125). Constantine Cyril's
translation of the Roman Mass into Slavonic in the 9th century led to the creation of the
Cyrillic alphabet (Sanneh 1989:73).

-differences in interpretation of language (and insertion of filioque by the west) between eastern and western church leading to east-west schism. areas under orthodox rule persisted in having a theocratic state emperor who ruled both matters of church and state:

quote:

"The king is not God among men but the Viceroy of God. He is not the logos incarnate but is in a special relation with the logos. He has been specially appointed and is continually inspired by God, the friend of God, the interpreter of the Word of God. His eyes look upward, to receive the messages of God. He must be surrounded with the reverence and glory that befits God's earthly copy; and he will 'frame his earthly government according to the pattern of the divine original, finding strength in its conformity with the monarchy of God'."

-interpretation of some old greek words "rsenokoitēs, malakos, and porneia" and whether the new testament refers to homosexuality or not (instead talking about exploitative male prostitution and pederasty). English translations may have turned this unduly into "homosexuality" based on mistakes or based on influence from comparative prudishness of english culture to greek and roman culture.

Of course, these examples are only going into translations of the bible and I said "religious texts" so that's only just wading into a larger topic of language and codes of laws as soft power and an assistant to conquest

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 30, 2014

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Also, monarchs were subject to the official Magisterium teaching, and were not allowed to interpret religious policy in a subjective or inconsistent fashion; see, King Henry VIII and every other monarch during the Papal custodianship.

I take it that you have never heard of Conciliarism or Gallicanism.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

So here's a question: Why did it take god so long to get off his rear end and formally tell people what he wanted them to do? Also why doesn't he just pop in to remind people like, in person using his mouth words, if it's so important that they follow his instructions?

I mean, I'm no omnipresent omniscient deity, but it seems like god's either kinda' lazy or hella' passive aggressive if the best he can manage is usually the magic equivalent of an obtuse post-it note.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Well when we talk about objective morality, we don't simply mean taking a morality and simply calling it 'objective', nor can we really say that because one morality is able of being enforced by brute strength over another, the the former is 'objective'. Not without assuming that might makes right, which is itself a moral position. No, you saying that ultimately all acts must be judged by this ultimate morality, and that that is inescapable. It's not adequate enough to say (as I have) that it is simply the subjective morality of the 'god' subject, supposing it exists, and therefore it is valid to reject it. Otherwise, what's the point, right? But the only way that's possible is if the the 'ultimate morality' is descriptive, that certain acts must logically be 'wrong' or 'bad', and that is the domain of objective logic. So I totally say that Hume's law still applies here, and the status of 'creator' grants no ability to disregard that. I cannot 'create' a mathematics that has 2+2 = 5 without violating the previous understandings of '2', addition and '5'. Similarly, creating an subject does not mean that you can call your own subjectivity 'objective', because that would violate what it for something to be 'subjective' or 'objective'.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ernie Muppari posted:

I mean, I'm no omnipresent omniscient deity, but it seems like god's either kinda' lazy or hella' passive aggressive if the best he can manage is usually the magic equivalent of an obtuse post-it note.

It's sort of like a CEO in 1903 wrote a memorandum staying "Gentlemen, please cease the colorful remarks about our new manager or you shall be fired," and now a century later in some branch offices you can get fired for complementing the lovely red color of your manager's tie, in some offices it's a blanket ban on colorful or florid writing, in some offices it's carte blanche to call people yellow menaces or black brutes because clearly it only applies to the "new manager" in 1903, long since deceased, in other offices it applies only to men, not women, and so on.

Like someone else said, it would be trivial for God to tell everyone "Yo this is what you should believe and do," but nope.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

So here's a question: Why did it take god so long to get off his rear end and formally tell people what he wanted them to do? Also why doesn't he just pop in to remind people like, in person using his mouth words, if it's so important that they follow his instructions?

The usual statement here is that he can't possibly take away our free will, which is apparently so precious and important to him that it be not impinged in any way, shape, or form, that he is completely willing to let huge numbers of people blunder into eternal torment (or, more graciously, oblivion - which isn't so bad, comparatively) rather than possibly maybe impair it in even the slightest theoretical way.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nessus posted:

The usual statement here is that he can't possibly take away our free will, which is apparently so precious and important to him that it be not impinged in any way, shape, or form, that he is completely willing to let huge numbers of people blunder into eternal torment (or, more graciously, oblivion - which isn't so bad, comparatively) rather than possibly maybe impair it in even the slightest theoretical way.

Good to see God adheres to the Non-Aggression Principle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

Except for that time he wouldn't let the pharaoh of Egypt let the Jews go by hardening his heart. But you know besides that...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ThirdPartyView posted:

Good to see God adheres to the Non-Aggression Principle.

Passive Aggression Principle.

Who What Now posted:

Except for that time he wouldn't let the pharaoh of Egypt let the Jews go by hardening his heart. But you know besides that...

Job ring a bell?

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Who What Now posted:

And according to Paul, God hardens people's hearts all the time. Like, say for instance, every single non-christian.

Romans 9 posted:

18 So you see, God chooses to show mercy to some, and he chooses to harden the hearts of others so they refuse to listen.
19 Well then, you might say, “Why does God blame people for not responding? Haven’t they simply done what he makes them do?”
20 No, don’t say that. Who are you, a mere human being, to argue with God? Should the thing that was created say to the one who created it, “Why have you made me like this?”
21 When a potter makes jars out of clay, doesn’t he have a right to use the same lump of clay to make one jar for decoration and another to throw garbage into?
22 In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who are destined for destruction.
23 He does this to make the riches of his glory shine even brighter on those to whom he shows mercy, who were prepared in advance for glory.

God makes certain people nonbelievers on purpose, the "garbage" if you will, to make salvation taste all the sweeter for those to whom he gives it. Nice guy.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well yeah, but then you're basically switching out the "bitchy roommate" persona for...I dunno', like, a kid who makes an ant farm and then gets mad that the ants aren't digging tunnels in as aesthetically pleasing a way as they'd wanted.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

What does it mean "to let them blunder into oblivion"? If you assume that God is the origin and cause of all things, and that His principles are imprinted into all things (since according to Aquinas all things are made up of a more general thing and a difference, therefore God as the most general thing is passed to all the more concrete identities), and that through observation one may deduce the appropriate . Not to mention that despite the imperfections of human reason, one can still understand God's principles and the Holy Doctrine 1) through literal meaning in the Bible 2) through allegorical meaning in the Bible and in the nature 3) through the illumination of God's Grace. Thus it would seem that to a faithful Christian the world is literally overflowing with lectures and meaning that should guide them through every step of their journey. In that case free will is crucial as it allows the knowledge of Christian life to be developed in each individual according to their specific sensibilities and prevents nobody from acquiring true knowledge.

Furthermore, depending on your theology you can say that God doesn't let people to wander into damnation due to their sins, because of predestination (or more broadly because you believe in forgiveness). In that case one's conduct has no significance for afterlife, but is crucial in determining the quality one's relation to God: Person should act in accordance with the Writ and with religious principles not because of the fear of punishment, but because of their Love of God and the perfect ideals he encompasses. Just like a child should act nice not to avoid spanking, but because of his appreciation of rules and his willingness to please his loved ones. In this case Free Will is crucial because it gives value to humanity, establishes a difference between the person as a being created in God's image to possess special faculties, and the more primitive genus of living things.

Also, if you consider the ontology of things, you could point out that it's impossible to change the properties of man, such as his reason and will, because doing so would change man's essence and invalidate the significance of man's existence.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

And according to Paul, God hardens people's hearts all the time. Like, say for instance, every single non-christian.

God makes certain people nonbelievers on purpose, the "garbage" if you will, to make salvation taste all the sweeter for those to whom he gives it. Nice guy.

Not necessarily, vulgar literal interpretations of such passages have been widely contested (e.g. Augustine). In a way, he as the prime mover is responsible for the hardening of hearts of some, but that isn't contrary to Free Will, because God's will manifested in creation and free will coexist, however counterintuitive it may seem at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Not necessarily, vulgar literal interpretations of such passages have been widely contested (e.g. Augustine). In a way, he as the prime mover is responsible for the hardening of hearts of some, but that isn't contrary to Free Will, because God's will manifested in creation and free will coexist, however counterintuitive it may seem at first.

quote:

Whether God is the Cause of Spiritual Blindness and Hardness of Heart?

Objection 1: It would seem that God is not the cause of spiritual blindness and hardness of heart. For Augustine says (Qq. lxxxiii, qu.3) that God is not the cause of that which makes man worse. Now man is made worse by spiritual blindness and hardness of heart. Therefore God is not the cause of spiritual blindness and hardness of heart.

Objection 2: Further, Fulgentius says (De Dupl. Praedest. i, 19): "God does not punish what He causes." Now God punishes the hardened heart, according to Ecclus.3:27: "A hard heart shall fear evil at the last." Therefore God is not the cause of hardness of heart.

Objection 3: Further, the same effect is not put down to contrary causes. But the cause of spiritual blindness is said to be the malice of man, according to Wis.2:21: "For their own malice blinded them," and again, according to 2 Cor.4:4: "The god of this world hath blinded the minds of unbelievers": which causes seem to be opposed to God. Therefore God is not the cause of spiritual blindness and hardness of heart.

On the contrary, It is written (Is.6:10): "Blind the heart of this people, and make their ears heavy," and Rom.9:18: "He hath mercy on whom He will, and whom He will He hardeneth."

I answer that, Spiritual blindness and hardness of heart imply two things. One is the movement of the human mind in cleaving to evil, and turning away from the Divine light; and as regards this, God is not the cause of spiritual blindness and hardness of heart, just as He is not the cause of sin. The other thing is the withdrawal of grace, the result of which is that the mind is not enlightened by God to see aright, and man's heart is not softened to live aright; and as regards this God is the cause of spiritual blindness and hardness of heart.

Now we must consider that God is the universal cause of the enlightening of souls, according to Jn.1:9: "That was the true light which enlighteneth every man that cometh into this world," even as the sun is the universal cause of the enlightening of bodies, though not in the same way; for the sun enlightens by necessity of nature, whereas God works freely, through the order of His wisdom. Now although the sun, so far as it is concerned, enlightens all bodies, yet if it be encountered by an obstacle in a body, it leaves it in darkness, as happens to a house whose window-shutters are closed, although the sun is in no way the cause of the house being darkened, since it does not act of its own accord in failing to light up the interior of the house; and the cause of this is the person who closed the shutters. On the other hand, God, of His own accord, withholds His grace from those in whom He finds an obstacle: so that the cause of grace being withheld is not only the man who raises an obstacle to grace; but God, Who, of His own accord, withholds His grace. In this way, God is the cause of spiritual blindness, deafness of ear, and hardness of heart.

These differ from one another in respect of the effects of grace, which both perfects the intellect by the gift of wisdom, and softens the affections by the fire of charity. And since two of the senses excel in rendering service to the intellect, viz. sight and hearing, of which the former assists "discovery," and the latter, "teaching," hence it is that spiritual "blindness" corresponds to sight, "heaviness of the ears" to hearing, and "hardness of heart" to the affections.

Reply to Objection 1: Blindness and hardheartedness, as regards the withholding of grace, are punishments, and therefore, in this respect, they make man no worse. It is because he is already worsened by sin that he incurs them, even as other punishments.

Reply to Objection 2: This argument considers hardheartedness in so far as it is a sin.

Reply to Objection 3: Malice is the demeritorious cause of blindness, just as sin is the cause of punishment: and in this way too, the devil is said to blind, in so far as he induces man to sin.

• Locked thread