Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Woolie Wool posted:

Has there been any word about early ROTT material, especially from when it was still a Wolfenstein sequel?

I don't think it actually changed very much from the early designs. There was some bits that were pulled from the CD version that showed that there were going to be more enemy variation at one point, but they ran out of space.

I think the biggest change is that they had to change the enemy logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The old 3D Realms site had a page with a slew of sprites and textures from the original ROTT prototype (and suggested that there were more images that they didn't show) and it looked like--basically was an entirely different game. And actually, despite the art style being much closer to Wolfenstein's, the Triad logo was the same. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Meet the unused female enemies.

Here's to hoping they can be put back into the game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think that's all the sprites they have though, since that sheet came on the Extreme Rise disk, along with most of the old ROTT concept art that exists.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Put them back in, then we can fulfil Carmack's misogynist desires and blast all basic bitches to kingdom come.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Put them into Brutal Doom obviously.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kirbysuperstar posted:

Put them into Brutal Doom obviously.

I'm really uncomfortable with modding something that is already the way it was meant to be.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Starhawk64 posted:

Been replaying the Descent games and I'm sad that this particular style of game never really took off. Are there more games like Descent?

Really wish they make a new one.

Terminal Velocity is sort of like Descent. You don't really explore tunnels, but it's sort of a dog-fighting Descent game? It's hard to explain, but the closest analog I can come up with is really Descent.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm in a Wolfenstein mood, but not just vanilla stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions for some good Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein-style mods? I liked those Wolfendoom Undercover missions, but the only other Wolfendoom mods I can get working on GZDoom (haven't tried the remake ones because I don't really care about them) are Astrostein.

With regards to Wolf3D mods, I greatly prefer mods for ECWolf, because I love my high resoltions and strafing, but if there's a particularly good SDL one, I wouldn't mind playing it.

I think I've played through all the RtCW mods that are relatively easy to find.

Edit: vv Still waiting on ECBlake. I'm wondering which comes out first, ECBlake or Forsaken Planet.

catlord fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 30, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blake Stone, homie.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've found that Blake Stone works just fine without a source port. It comes with an automap, so you're set to play without any annoying issues out of the box.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I just rewatched Wreck-It Ralph and noticed something in the end credits I hadn't previously:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as Descent goes, it kind of saddens me that people are far more eager to recommend its spinoff Freespace than it itself. It's not even the same genre, to my understanding, so it's not really what I'd be looking for.

closeted republican posted:

I've found that Blake Stone works just fine without a source port. It comes with an automap, so you're set to play without any annoying issues out of the box.
I'd agree if I could set up WASD & mouse-turning (no mouse move, though, ick). Wasn't able to do the latter last I checked. Maybe I'm wrong?

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
If you're playing in pure DOS or DOSBox, isn't there a mouse driver that disable the vertical axe leaving you with only a mouse look?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

As far as Descent goes, it kind of saddens me that people are far more eager to recommend its spinoff Freespace than it itself. It's not even the same genre, to my understanding, so it's not really what I'd be looking for.

Some speedrunners have been picking up the original Descent games lately and they are a pretty fun watch.

http://www.twitch.tv/spootybiscuit

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Shadow Hog posted:

No, it's not, and it's not even a spin-off or have anything at all to do with Descent apart from the name and the same publisher.

They decided to add "Descent" into the name of the original FreeSpace in order to avoid a potential trademark issue with some disc compression software called FreeSpace. In Europe they used "Conflict" instead of "Descent".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Shadow Hog posted:

I'd agree if I could set up WASD & mouse-turning (no mouse move, though, ick). Wasn't able to do the latter last I checked. Maybe I'm wrong?

I played through all of Wolf3D + Spear of Destiny with the original key layout, so I'm used to Wolf3D's original controls. :shobon:

Also, while we're on the subject of Descent, the Rockets UT mod for UT99, which changes every weapon into a type of rocket for the Rocket Launcher, has several missiles from Descent 2 and 3 in it. It's really, really fun and works well with bots and any gamemode. You can download it here.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 30, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vakal posted:

Some speedrunners have been picking up the original Descent games lately and they are a pretty fun watch.

The way they're flying at an angle to pick up speed makes them painful to watch.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vakal posted:

Hahaha, he's using the midi soundtrack instead of the music from the CD? :cmon:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

catlord posted:

I'm in a Wolfenstein mood, but not just vanilla stuff. Does anybody have any suggestions for some good Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein-style mods? I liked those Wolfendoom Undercover missions, but the only other Wolfendoom mods I can get working on GZDoom (haven't tried the remake ones because I don't really care about them) are Astrostein.

With regards to Wolf3D mods, I greatly prefer mods for ECWolf, because I love my high resoltions and strafing, but if there's a particularly good SDL one, I wouldn't mind playing it.

I think I've played through all the RtCW mods that are relatively easy to find.

Edit: vv Still waiting on ECBlake. I'm wondering which comes out first, ECBlake or Forsaken Planet.

There are only two released mods and unfortunately, both are mine. The tech demo and its expansion pack are here and you can try Coffee Break and two ports I made of DOS mods from the late '90s here.

Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy is the current big Wolfenstein mod. It supports two-button strafing and autorun, but it doesn't let you disable the vertical mouse axis so it's almost like true WASD.

Awesome Welles posted:

Hahaha, he's using the midi soundtrack instead of the music from the CD? :cmon:

I hate Descent II's CD soundtrack, I set up D2X-Rebirth to use MechWarrior 2/Ghost Bear's Legacy/MW2 Mercenaries music instead. Also Descent 1's proper soundtrack is midi. :colbert:

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The way they're flying at an angle to pick up speed makes them painful to watch.

It's called trichording. You thrust along the X, Y, and Z axes simultaneously to go as fast as possible, like straferunning in three dimensions. It's as disorienting as it sounds.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 30, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

There are only two released mods and unfortunately, both are mine. The tech demo and its expansion pack are here and you can try Coffee Break and two ports I made of DOS mods from the late '90s here.

Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy is the current big Wolfenstein mod. It supports two-button strafing and autorun, but it doesn't let you disable the vertical mouse axis so it's almost like true WASD.

Oh, I have Totengraber, Coffee Break and the Tech Demos, I didn't know there was a second classic one.

And yeah, I saw that Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy got released, but I remember watching Doomed_Spacemarine's stream of Origins and it seemed to drag a lot and get kinda bad near the end. Is Legacy the same way? Has anybody played through the entire thing yet?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

I hate Descent II's CD soundtrack, I set up D2X-Rebirth to use MechWarrior 2/Ghost Bear's Legacy/MW2 Mercenaries music instead. Also Descent 1's proper soundtrack is midi. :colbert:

Buttrock is the only rock I need when blowing poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlZmPIK3S0

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow Hog posted:

Well here's the thing, making great full 360 degree 6 degrees of freedom environment maps is super loving hard, which is why there's very few level packs and similarly designed games to it. And it's rather difficult to get into playing initially for the very same reason that it's a great game, so it's no surprise people recommend Freespace instead since they think the point of Descent was "you're in space" instead of "you're in a ship in tunnels that can turn and go anywhere at any time".

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Anybody want the :siren: :argh: ULTIMATE DESCENT TEASE IN HISTORY YOU BASTARDS :argh: :siren:

Sorry. Volition made me mighty upset with that little sequence.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well Red Faction did start as Descent 4, it's just they focused far more on the on foot sections and stuck all the space ship stuff at the end.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The sub parts in Red Faction are probably what would have been Descent 4. Also, gently caress that game because the "lure the robot into the incinerator" part was harder than it should have been.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zeether posted:

The sub parts in Red Faction are probably what would have been Descent 4. Also, gently caress that game because the "lure the robot into the incinerator" part was harder than it should have been.

I was pretty amazed when, replaying that part in another attempt to play through the game, it only let me incinerate the robot after it told me to incinerate the robot. You can't incinerate the robot with the giant incinerator literally right across from it until the game tells you that that's how you destroy it. Which it only does after you waste enough ammo shooting at it. :shepface:

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Doom 3DO source now on GitHub w/ explanations.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Are there any good tutorials for getting started with TrenchBroom out there? I'm not a total novice to the premise of level design since I like to think I'm pretty handy with GZDoom Builder, but this is kind of a different animal.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

Buttrock is the only rock I need when blowing poo poo up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFlZmPIK3S0

The playstation version had some pretty solid tracks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXp76uQXJQo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vakal posted:

The playstation version had some pretty solid tracks as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXp76uQXJQo

This rules.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

So I made this map for my latest project and it's a bit, uh, large:

An homage to Eternal Doom map12, "Darkdome", for the latest evolution of the ECWolf Tech Demo. It even has the infamous "run back through the level and hit eight skull switches" puzzle. It takes around 50 minutes to complete, more if you don't know where you're going. This is a secret map so you don't have to visit it if you don't want to.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

It's like the map to a large metropolitan mall, parking garages and all. I get lost easily enough on normal Wolf maps :psyduck:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

There is an automap in ECWolf but the sheer size of the thing does make it easy to get turned around in. I made it a secret level for a reason. The map is a gigantic citadel rising out of the ocean so you can look out of windows and catch a bullet to the face from a marksman firing from another window. The whole "outside" of the map is a vast expanse of water.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 2, 2014

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Anybody want the :siren: :argh: ULTIMATE DESCENT TEASE IN HISTORY YOU BASTARDS :argh: :siren:

Sorry. Volition made me mighty upset with that little sequence.

That section was the only part I actually liked in that mess of a game. I really want a new HD Descent game. :sigh:

Been replaying Descent 3 and I don't remember this game being that ugly looking. Great game though.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I hated the robots in Descent III, they were all cute-ified and given stupid personalities and gently caress that poo poo.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

So I made this map for my latest project and it's a bit, uh, large:

An homage to Eternal Doom map12, "Darkdome", for the latest evolution of the ECWolf Tech Demo. It even has the infamous "run back through the level and hit eight skull switches" puzzle. It takes around 50 minutes to complete, more if you don't know where you're going. This is a secret map so you don't have to visit it if you don't want to.

I really want to play this, when'll it be ready do you think?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Eisenfaust Unleashed, the sequel to the episode featured in the ECWolf Tech Demo. It will contain the original Tech Demo and Operation Totenhaus within itself, and have 25 new levels of its own, bringing the total level count to 44. It's basically to Episode 2 what the Tech Demo episode was to Episode 1, but twice as long. It will make the original Tech Demo release obsolete.

E: As for when it's ready, sometime next year. I won't let it come out too close to Operation Serpent, though. (I am good at reading comprehension :downs:)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 2, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, I decided to try Eisenfaust: Legacy, despite my worries from watching Origins. I have been breezing through it (though only after I dropped the difficulty down, which suddenly made me superhuman), but, uh... area 10, Predator vs. Prey just kicked things up a notch. Or several, actually. The level before I found the mecha suits, then found I could hop inside, but didn't have fuel, and then here the first things you meet are mutants in the mecha suits and I assume you're supposed to try to avoid them, but drat is there suddenly a lot of pressure. It's pretty cool.

Oh man, that's gonna be cool. Can't wait to see what it looks like in-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Today is Quake III: Arena's 15th birthday. Happy birthday, Quake III: Arena.