Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:vince:

Came here to post this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Didn't get a pic because I was driving, but on the way back from Whistler today I saw a black E90 sedan with SAAB badges in place of the front and rear roundels. Shamefully, I had to do several double-takes before I realized what was going on.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

That is pure, absolute beauty.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Cadzilla. Belonging to none other than the good Revered Willy G Gibbons.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 232 days!)

Someone really liked the URSAAB design. :v:

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

I'd expect the door to open and six Hobbit hippies to come out, playing ukuleles as guitars.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Our local Snap-on guy rolled up in his new truck recently. Notice the vanity plate.

True story: I design those for LDV. We supply the base truck (some of them are monstrous, literally the longest, widest and highest a vehicle can legally be in all 50 states, those LDV turns into emergency command centers). I do a lot of their tool trucks, both the box truck style (that one) or the walk-in van style. I also designed the interior A/C system for their walk-in tool trucks, when I worked at a different company.

Always neat to see them once they're finished.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

True story: I design those for LDV. We supply the base truck (some of them are monstrous, literally the longest, widest and highest a vehicle can legally be in all 50 states, those LDV turns into emergency command centers). I do a lot of their tool trucks, both the box truck style (that one) or the walk-in van style. I also designed the interior A/C system for their walk-in tool trucks, when I worked at a different company.

Always neat to see them once they're finished.
Please tell me you use Craftsman stuff to do the work.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Please tell me you use Craftsman stuff to do the work.

I design them and listen to the people that build them complain. I'm not sure what tools they use, come to think of it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

CornHolio posted:

I design them and listen to the people that build them complain. I'm not sure what tools they use, come to think of it.

When you design them, do you have any tools at your disposal that can model a human hand with a screwdriver/wrench/whatever in it so you can test that the part you've just required can actually be assembled in place? I know there are a LOT of people who say "I hate engineers" and "what moron engineer thought putting THIS right HERE could possibly be a good idea!?"

Is that something that comes up at all in your work?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When you design them, do you have any tools at your disposal that can model a human hand with a screwdriver/wrench/whatever in it so you can test that the part you've just required can actually be assembled in place? I know there are a LOT of people who say "I hate engineers" and "what moron engineer thought putting THIS right HERE could possibly be a good idea!?"

Is that something that comes up at all in your work?

Nope, though out trucks are so big you can work on mostly everything on them without any effort at all. The only thing we really have to account for is the fuel sending unit access, and we put a huge plate in the floor to get to that.

Unless the customer specifically doesn't want that, which has happened. In that case, uh, good luck. It isn't the norm, though.

The entire hood opens, and there is a huge access panel in the cab to get to the engine/transmission. A guy was complaining a few months ago that there wasn't enough room on an old-rear end prototype he was swapping the battery out on, to get a wrench on top of the terminals. I went out there and could fit my head between the top of the battery and the underside of whatever was above it. I offered to do it for him :v:

Edit: The box truck side of things is funny. It's a very cut-throat market, and to make sure we have a margin at all, pretty much no engineering gets done on them. Some measurements are literally done using hand-widths :)

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 1, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CornHolio posted:

truck stuff

I really really enjoy the snaps you share at work too. keep em coming, they're awesome :D

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

cursedshitbox posted:

I really really enjoy the snaps you share at work too. keep em coming, they're awesome :D

Thanks! I don't have a good connection here on my phone and I've ended up losing some really cool ones :( But I'll keep 'em coming!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Borderline, but the explosion qualifies it, I think

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Grandpa Sprite

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The Cadzilla has to be the hands down coolest, best looking custom ever made. Good God just look at it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Seems like it borrows a bit from this Holden concept from a number of years ago:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Das Volk posted:

Seems like it borrows a bit from this Holden concept from a number of years ago:

Cadzilla was finished in 1989. Efigy didn't show up until 2005.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea Cadzilla has been around forever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

vvvv EDIT: Sorry busy editing out that hotlink. 30 liter four-cylinder fiat. Do I have your attention yet?

revmoo fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 1, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Some things shouldn't be giffed.

Or:

WHERE THE gently caress IS THE SOUND. THIS GIF IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT SOUND.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

There's got to be a Lada Niva under that

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Doesn't Cadzilla predate that by over a decade, though?

Edit: Beaten like custom panelwork.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

revmoo posted:

vvvv EDIT: Sorry busy editing out that hotlink. 30 liter four-cylinder fiat. Do I have your attention yet?

Good god. That sounds amazing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure there exists a microphone that could record that engine without clipping.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

there is it would just have to be half a mile away.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

:stare:

That noise. Thunder of the Gods.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

It's amazing that humans actually built that thing, over a hundred drat years ago. It's even more amazing that the new Yamaha R1 being released this year has 300 horse power. In a motorcycle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

blk posted:

Did he just forget or not notice the turn there or what? The "controller disconnected" message fits for sure.

Also, the guy wit the phone at the end: oh, hey, someone just flipped their 911 into the drink. They might be drowning. Hmm, should I post that on Facebook, or try to help?

e: JESUS CHRIST, that Fiat! A 28.5L 4-banger?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 2, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is that guy dead? What even caused an explosion what the hell

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Darchangel posted:

Also, the guy wit the phone at the end: oh, hey, someone just flipped their 911 into the drink. They might be drowning. Hmm, should I post that on Facebook, or try to help?

I was actually thinking this same thing.

But what is the correct thing to do in this situation (or any situation where you witness a severe looking car accident)? Obviously calling 911 immediately would be the first thing but in the time it takes for emergency vehicles to arrive is there anything you could actually do to help?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The explosion was added in you buffoons

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

blk posted:

The brakes clearly engage after the "controller disconnected" message, 2/5 :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guys......it's a 911. It's designed to kill drivers when you go over 90%. This is an expected result.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

revmoo posted:

I watched the video and I'm proud to say it sounded exactly the way the gif made it sound in my head. What a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

You Am I posted:

There's got to be a Lada Niva under that
It's always a Fiero.