Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Folly
May 26, 2010
Dammit you fucks, stop making me laugh so hard in this humor thread.

Switchback posted:

You're getting your wife a gift intending to ridicule her for it later?

Jastiger, abort! There is no true victory here, only Pyrrhic victory.

Also, easy cleanup keeps getting cited as a reason to buy something. It's come up in the coffee thing, but this isn't the first time it's been raised. There are very few cleanup tasks I've encountered that can be individually improved enough to notice by using a disposable component. You save like a minute or so per cleaning task, at best. So to really have meaningful improvement to your free-time/quality of life, you have to buy lots of disposable products before the amount of time you free up is even noticeable. In aggregate, this is a lot more expensive and environmentally unsound. I try to avoid considering faster cleaning time as a reason for buying a disposable, single-use product.

Not a Children posted:

If you ~*really*~ wanna save money, kick your caffeine addiction and forget the coffee

Amen. We buy the "nicer" store brand coffee at $5 per 12oz bag. Coffee is roughly 6% of my overall grocery budget for a family of 4, two of whom are small children. That's a pretty hefty for a single line item with no nutritional value that's only consumed by 2 people. Plus, you should kick it for a few months every year anyhow, just to maintain your caffeine sensitivity.

Edit:

canyoneer and Pompus Rhombus posted:

dewdriver

:staredog:

Folly fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Geizkragen posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kies-ready.html

Phone posting, but sums up like this: families can't get by on $150k+ a year because of reasons.

Working professionals in high quality jobs can't or refuse to understand the widening gap between them and the economic elite because the working professionals believe themselves to be part of the economic elite.

Hey, lady: Yeah, your husband is a lawyer. Did you know that some people don't have to work? And sorry that foreign multi-millionaires designated your city as a great place to tuck away their fortunes for various reasons.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Back when I lived in Japan, there was a Costco about an hour and a half away. We'd normally get 3-4 people in car (1 or two of whom were members) and all do our shopping/get a cheapass lunch at the food court, then drive home, splitting the gas and tolls. For membership-based places like that, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to convince a car-having friend/neighbour to do the driving if you got them in on your card and paid for the petrol.

For sure, that's the way to do it. I rented a car this past weekend, which I used to get a big-rear end load of groceries from Costco. I also referee hockey, which is awesome, because it more than pays for the car while I have it. In fact, I think it paid for the car, gas, and all my groceries. What an efficient, BFC Approved weekend I just had.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Spermy Smurf posted:

I want to hear about the goon who got a speeding ticket reduced to $300. I have never had any ticket over $150. Was it a DUI that got knocked down to negligent operation?

I had one recently. I turned from one semi major street that was marked as a school zone onto another. But the other one didn't have the flashing light or anything stating "yes, this still a school zone," until you hit a sign saying "end school zone." It was too late by then.

The officer gave me a ticket for going 39 in a 20. This is normally a 40 MPH zone. It cost $145. If he hadn't decided to cut me a break and not say it was in a school zone, it would've been $290. $300 tickets are very possible.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
In Victoria, Aus, anything over more than...3% over the limit is a shitload of money. I was going 59 in a 50 zone and got a 300 dollar fine. Three demerit points. Nine more within three years and I get my license suspended for three months.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Authentic You posted:

The whole concept of product systems like Keurig and Swiffer pisses me off. I did like how easy and convenient my Swiffer WetJet made mopping, but having to drop ten bucks on a pack of mop pads and seven bucks on the cleaner (which I could usually only find in some godawful Febreeze chemical scent) made me eventually just give the thing away and buy a cheapo mop and bucket that didn't require expensive, wasteful refills all the time. I did actually consider cutting open the cleaner container so I could fill it with my own cleaning solution, but buying a different mop was less effort.

Look into a Steam Mop. I got one for $50 from Amazon Warehouse and it's basically everything you like about the Swiffer except it runs on water and you don't need to put the "scent disk" they give you in there (or buy more of them) if you prefer. Also you can actually sanitize stuff.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
So does nobody use the generic k-cups or what?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

Look into a Steam Mop. I got one for $50 from Amazon Warehouse and it's basically everything you like about the Swiffer except it runs on water and you don't need to put the "scent disk" they give you in there (or buy more of them) if you prefer. Also you can actually sanitize stuff.

What sucks is that WetJets work really really well. I've tried using other mops, but my homemade formula streaks and takes too long to dry.

I'd almost be okay with the added expense except my WetJets keep snapping at the neck. Charge me out the nose for the chemicals and pads, sure. But at least make the unit sturdy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So I'm doing a diy Reno on my bathroom... To code, don't worry. No load bearing drywall. I'm putting in good tile for the first time. Are those steam mops good on printed porcelain?

Since we are in the subject. I also hate poo poo with disposable parts. I barely even use paper towels because I bought a Costco pack of bar mops and just wash em.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Folly posted:

Dammit you fucks, stop making me laugh so hard in this humor thread.

Jastiger, abort! There is no true victory here, only Pyrrhic victory.

As long as its a notch in the ole victory column, it doesn't matter if I lose the next one!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Series DD Funding posted:

So does nobody use the generic k-cups or what?
I tried at work but they tasted like butts. My morning workout was to do squats for as long as it took for me to grind up the beans in a hand grinder, then pushups while waiting for it to steep in the french press. I call it a morning workout but that was my whole workout for the day because I'm lazy as gently caress and only coffee could get me motivated for like five minutes to exercise.

Also isn't coffee good for you or something? I thought I read that in moderation it wasn't bad for your body.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

moana posted:

Also isn't coffee good for you or something? I thought I read that in moderation it wasn't bad for your body.
"Experts" flip-flop on that more often than they do on eggs, but I believe the current research says that coffee is good for you, with the caveats that lots of caffeine is bad for you, unfiltered coffee is bad for your cholesterol, coffee isn't good for pregnant women and infants, and cream and sugar aren't good for anybody.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Usually it's not a binary thing, stimulants in general do some good things and some bad things. Improved focus/memory trading off with increased heart rate/vasodilation is a common one. (Looking at just caffeine is easier than looking at coffee as a whole.)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Halloween Jack posted:

unfiltered coffee is bad for your cholesterol
aw poo poo :( That makes me sad.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
That daily mail article is awesome.

quote:

Annie forks out £300 a month on weekly massages and fortnightly facials, £150 every two months on having her hair cut and coloured at Toni and Guy and £200 a week on clothes which rarely see the light of day after she has hung them in one of her three giant wardrobes.

‘I spend a lot of money on myself, which I wouldn’t be able to do if we had children,’ says Annie. ‘I know these are luxuries but, when you get into the habit, you start to feel you need, not just want, them.’

Up until a few months ago, Annie earned £40,000 as a full-time PA, before quitting to focus on her modelling career. ‘My earnings used to pay for my shopping,’ she says. ‘Now, I pay for things on credit cards and my husband clears them at the end of the month.’

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

moana posted:

aw poo poo :( That makes me sad.

I dunno, man, I have bomb rear end cholesterol and blood pressure and I drink like 2-4 cups per day. I'm really active though so ymmv.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Coffee is good for you in reasonable amounts and eggs are incredibly healthy. People who think you get bad cholesterol from eggs because they contain cholesterol are bad with nutrition. Also eggs are cheap and good with money :]

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Saros posted:

Living in London is bad with money.

Rent £550/mo (US$880) for a bedroom in a (kinda poo poo) 3 bed apartment in zone 2. This is actually a steal because it's a 'bad' (muslim) area. I chose this place in large part because it's 30-35 mins walk from work to save £135/mo on a transit pass. Currently sleeping in that extra 15 minutes probably 3 times a week so I have to take the tube anyway (£2.80/trip onpeak) plus 'rain' and other weekend/after work trips meaning i'm probably spending over £20-25 a week in tube trips anyway. :downs:

Plus everything in this city is so expensive it makes me want to become a hermit.

You're basically using up 10 hours of your free time walking (seems like taking the tube would be about 15 minutes?) every month to save £135. That's not too bad considering the exercise but I think I'd prefer to have time in my life back, especially if you can glean more value from your transit pass during nights/weekends.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

NancyPants posted:

I dunno, man, I have bomb rear end cholesterol and blood pressure and I drink like 2-4 cups per day. I'm really active though so ymmv.

I know people who are healthy as can be and 80yo, and have smoked 1-2pk/day since they were 13, as well as being huge alcoholics. Recommended? No. YMMV.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

I know people who are healthy as can be and 80yo, and have smoked 1-2pk/day since they were 13, as well as being huge alcoholics. Recommended? No. YMMV.

I see what you're getting at, but a few cups of coffee in lieu of pop is not really equivalent to smoking a few packs a day or pickling your liver. Besides, the comment was about coffee and cholesterol, not coffee and overall health.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Annie forks out £300 a month on weekly massages and fortnightly facials

I'ma need a name change to fortnightly facials, por favor

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

SiGmA_X posted:

Imagine how healthy they would be if they didn't smoke and drink.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

evobatman posted:

Imagine how healthy they would be if they didn't smoke and drink.
Agreed.

Content:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2nym7a/is_there_any_benefit_in_paying_extra_toward/ posted:

Is there any benefit in paying extra toward mortgage principle if you plan on selling before it gets paid off?
Say I have a 30 year mortgage and I'm only going to own for 7 years. If I were to make additional payments on the mortgage, the payments would go toward principle, and the bank is not going to re-amortize the loan based on the reduced principle. Now, if I were to pay down early for the entire 30 years, then yes, I would end up paying off the principle balance early and save the interest charges at the back end (at that point, a relatively small part of my payment). However, if I end up selling after only 7 years, I've still paid just as much in interest payments as I would have if I was only making the minimum payments. Sure, the check to me at closing is larger, but the money I put into paying down the mortgage has not grown any. If I put an extra $10,000 into early payments over 7 years, then I only get $10,000 back at closing.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

SiGmA_X posted:

Content:

I'm glad Reddit exists and that people who don't understand basic stuff like this can ask and get actual answers.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Barry posted:

You're basically using up 10 hours of your free time walking (seems like taking the tube would be about 15 minutes?) every month to save £135. That's not too bad considering the exercise but I think I'd prefer to have time in my life back, especially if you can glean more value from your transit pass during nights/weekends.

Rush hour in Bank station is so loving awful I poo poo you not a good portion of the time walking is faster than taking the tube, plus the gym is about halfway between house-work and I usually make it there after work 2-3 times a week. I really need to get a bike but i'm holding out 2 more months for when my work will pay for one.

I should still just get the pass, it is winter after all.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 2, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Saros posted:

Rush hour in Bank station is so loving awful I poo poo you not a good portion of the time walking is faster than taking the tube, plus the gym is about halfway between house-work and I usually make it there after work 2-3 times a week. I really need to get a bike but i'm holding out 2 more months for when my work will pay for one.

I don't know about faster but man not putting up with rush hour on the Tube is priceless, gently caress alla that. Good with money, good with time and good with sanity.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I don't know about faster but man not putting up with rush hour on the Tube is priceless, gently caress alla that. Good with money, good with time and good with sanity.

Good with time and sanity, not so good with money. Sometimes.
Me? I get the Thameslink two stops to work. Pretty drat smug about that.

Bad with money: I had like 5 oyster cards sitting at home from various times where I had misplaced/lost/forgotten my normal one.
Good with money: I cashed them all in for a fiver + remaining credit each.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

10 mins waiting to get through the ticket barriers, another 10 on the platform while 4 trains go past before the crowd thins out enough to get on. By that point you just think "gently caress I could have walked it by now." :suicide:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

Content:

Doesn't this vary by loan, though? I paid an extra $10k on my mortgage a few years ago, and my monthly payments didn't change at all. I believe I have a simple interest loan with a locked APR.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Nocheez posted:

Doesn't this vary by loan, though? I paid an extra $10k on my mortgage a few years ago, and my monthly payments didn't change at all. I believe I have a simple interest loan with a locked APR.

Your monthly payments didn't change in total amount, but each month you paid 10k * monthly interest rate less in interest, which is the same amount of increase in the principle portion of your payment.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Holy poo poo

quote:

Credit Score: Under 650
Regular Employment Income: $2750/month after tax
Total Debt: $93,000
Personal Loan: $50,000 @ 3%; Credit Card Debt: $22,000 @ 2%; Margin Debt: $21,000 @ 3.5%;

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Saros posted:

10 mins waiting to get through the ticket barriers, another 10 on the platform while 4 trains go past before the crowd thins out enough to get on. By that point you just think "gently caress I could have walked it by now." :suicide:

If that's the alternative to walking 30 minutes I'd walk every time.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Margin Debt: $21,000 @ 3.5%
Credit Card Debt: $22,000 @ 2%

Soooo....he has a post-tax investment account worth at least $42,000 (or $21,000 after he covers the margin) and he's still carrying credit card debt. I guess those interest rates are low enough that it could make sense. Where did he find a credit card with a 2% interest rate?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Promo rate for the 2%.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

Saros posted:

Promo rate for the 2%.

Specifically:
"promotional 2% which after a year it jumps to 20%"

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2ndokt/evaluate_this_guys_situation_sub_650_credit_93k/cmco3yz

Folly
May 26, 2010

Well, I have no idea what series of decisions lead him here, but assuming his margin account fits the standard model then the solution is fairly simple. Liquidate the assets, pay off $42k of his debt. That leaves him $1000 of CC debt and a $50k personal loan at a reasonable rate.

I have no idea why he has post-tax stock account while in debt. Maybe he inherited it? (I'm probably giving him too much benefit of the doubt.)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I started reading the Mr. Money Moustache blog and I'm a little dismayed at how easy he says it is to cut transportation costs. I live in a small college town with mediocre-at-best public transit, which is set up to benefit cars rather than pedestrians or cyclists, and living close enough to bike to work would sent my rent soaring. That's before considering that my fiancee works two jobs spanning four locations, and both of us have time commitments outside of work. I've owned two cars that cost me less than $3k, and they actually ended up costing a lot more than that.

I always get a kick out of those bits of advice because they so do not apply to a lot of places that people live. Or at least where I live (Winnipeg).

There is somewhere between 12 and 18 inches of snow in places, including public sidewalks that haven't yet been cleared. And it is -35 with the wind chill. Riding a bike from November until April is pretty much a non-starter. Some people do it, but it is rather dangerous. And you need a decent bike, not a $100 Canadian Tire special if you really want to have a shot at it.

Public transportation is so bad that from where I live to where I work would take between 55 and 66 minutes to go 4.4 km. Compare my eight minutes of driving to the fastest trip on the bus which includes 22 minutes of walking 9 of standing around and three different busses. For $5.10 round trip.

The walk isn't too bad in the summer, but most of the distance I need to cover is along a major trucking route and breathing in exhaust for 50 minutes isn't a pleasant experience.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Biking 4.4 km can't be THAT dangerous, that should be super quick. I agree it would suck in the dead of winter, but it sounds pretty awesome for the rest of the year. It would almost certainly be reasonable to do all year with the right winter gear, and even moreso if you have a job that lets you work from home if there's a blizzard outside(when it's not particularly safe to drive either).

Not owning a car is the really awesome but it sounds like that's not a place that's set up for it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 2, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Antifreeze Head posted:

There is somewhere between 12 and 18 inches of snow in places, including public sidewalks that haven't yet been cleared. And it is -35 with the wind chill. Riding a bike from November until April is pretty much a non-starter. Some people do it, but it is rather dangerous. And you need a decent bike, not a $100 Canadian Tire special if you really want to have a shot at it.

People bike during the winter in Yellowknife. My sister lives there.

I plan to bike all winter in Halifax, which is probably a bit of a joke compared to Winnipeg, but at least in Winnipeg you know what you're going to get. Here in Halifax the weather changes as often as Howie Mandel changes his underwear, and ice is a huge concern.

I'm not saying you're being a wuss, but I think it's probably possible to bike in Winnipeg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
MMM lives in Denver, so it's not like his advice is coming from Arizona either.

I bike all the time in Winter in Boston, which isn't that cold but isn't particularly hospitable. I used to bike to work every day, but my current (sucky) job requires me to move equipment around and report to different offices everyday, often without a place to change or store my stuff. I've gone back to $70/mo Train/Bus pass.

There are some places the advice is 100% useless - I grew up on Long Island. You can't bike around LI full time, it's not possible, and unless you happen to be extremely lucky (or plan for it) you really can't take the LIRR to and from work.

• Locked thread