Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Fixit posted:

So Planetary Annihilation is on sale. I asked for a review over in Video Game Deals but was advised to come and ask here. Is the game worth $6? Is it like Sins of a Solar Empire? I was told the planet orbit is not all that it is worked up to be, thoughts. Thanks!

It's worth $6, but it's heavily geared towards the endgame involving some planetary hijinks. The AI is sometimes absolutely dumb, and the galaxy conquest game can sometimes put you in odd positions due to a limitation on the units that you can field. Totally not worth much more, _IMO_, and I kickstarted it.

It's effectively an RTS on the surface of one or more planetary bodies with the aim of killing the commander, which is your general unit. The planet surfaces take some getting used to, but I believe that they've missed out on some elements that would either differentiate the unit mix, or necessitate using tactics other than tank rushes.

Having said that, you can get a sandwich for $6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If I like Dynasty Warriors, should I get the one on Steam?

unless you got a ps4 and you can get it there cheaper, yes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kubrick posted:

Is Borderlands 2 still worth buying for the multiplayer, or has everyone moved on to the Pre-Sequel?

The only co-op you should be playing in BL2 is with your own friends or other goons. So it'll be alive as long as you can find those.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I haven't had any real issues with Inquisition, but I'd suggest using a controller with it unless they fixed the keyboard controls somehow, really good game so far.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So was thinking about trying that Child of Light, but it seems Steam doesn't want to let me add it to my Cart. Anyone else having this issue?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr E posted:

I haven't had any real issues with Inquisition, but I'd suggest using a controller with it unless they fixed the keyboard controls somehow, really good game so far.

Does this mean there isn't high level/zoomed out tactical combat like Origins? Or is it more over the shoulder-esque like DA2?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Does this mean there isn't high level/zoomed out tactical combat like Origins? Or is it more over the shoulder-esque like DA2?

It has tactical zoomout, but frankly I've found combat to be pretty mindless. Maybe that changes if you up the difficulty and turn on friendly fire or something.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

The only co-op you should be playing in BL2 is with your own friends or other goons. So it'll be alive as long as you can find those.

I don't really know anyone else who plays.

I always thought it was primarily an online ARPG, like Diablo III.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I have been playing Borderlands 2 recently, but I have only been playing Solo because I don't know of anyone who plays it. It seems pretty good to me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

There's a tactical mode that you pretty much need to use if you're on Nightmare and is very helpful on Hard. Still, more of an action RPG than tactical like DAO.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kubrick posted:

It can be, but its a terrible way to play. None of the loot is instanced to individual players so more likely than not if you're playing with random people they're just going to siphon up every piece of loot that even looks like it might be good unless you do the same.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kubrick posted:

I think you can grab some players by leaving a comment on the BL2 thread. Here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3504490

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr E posted:

There's a tactical mode that you pretty much need to use if you're on Nightmare and is very helpful on Hard. Still, more of an action RPG than tactical like DAO.

Thanks. As long as it isn't Hawke's Bathrobe Simulator II: Livin' At Home With Hawke & Friends In The Age of Dragons I'll be happy

also war of the roses kingmaker for you goons

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=8TB3GhGbAmwF76hV

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Call him... Anonymous.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Ryuujin posted:

So was thinking about trying that Child of Light, but it seems Steam doesn't want to let me add it to my Cart. Anyone else having this issue?

Yeah, I was having that issue all morning for Child of Light. I was trying to buy the DLC too. I can't be hosed to spend any more time tying to buy it, so I just put it on my wishlist and hope that it'll be on sale for the winter sale.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
The forums say there's a pricing error on Warhammer 40K: Armageddon http://store.steampowered.com/app/312370 pick it up while it lasts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

Call him... Anonymous.
Maybe he didnt like the MINT on his PILLOW.

Mushball
May 23, 2012
What is the verdict on Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I was wondering if they finished polishing it up and the userbase has created some worthwhile campaigns.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now
If I buy Saints Row 4: Game of the Centenary and I own the base game will it gently caress anything up? It's cheaper to get it all over again +DLC then to get the DLC by itself

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gyshall posted:

Thanks. As long as it isn't Hawke's Bathrobe Simulator II: Livin' At Home With Hawke & Friends In The Age of Dragons I'll be happy

also war of the roses kingmaker for you goons

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=8TB3GhGbAmwF76hV

As someone who loathes DAII as well, I can recommend DAI easily.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Lukavi posted:

If I buy Saints Row 4: Game of the Centenary and I own the base game will it gently caress anything up? It's cheaper to get it all over again +DLC then to get the DLC by itself

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/47503/

Don't buy the base game again, there's an upgrade pack.

Lukavi
Aug 23, 2006
Place your bets now

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks a million, I was looking for something like that but must have missed it!

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending

Lukavi posted:

Thanks a million, I was looking for something like that but must have missed it!

I also picked that up. For some reason it doesn't show up in the steam client when I look for it, but it's on the website.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Saoshyant posted:

If I already have the season pass is there any reason to pick this up? I'm not really interested in new clothes or guns

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Is Castle Crashers a no brainer at $2?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, it's a no-brainer. It's not the kind of game you really need to beat more than once but is a pretty fun ride until then.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Horn posted:

If I already have the season pass is there any reason to pick this up? I'm not really interested in new clothes or guns

Not really. If the dubstep gun isn't going to change your opinion, nothing else in the pack will because it's all cosmetic.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Think it's safe to wait for the winter sale or whatever? I want to get Alpha Protocol.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If it isn't a daily sale, then most likely.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mushball posted:

What is the verdict on Shadowrun: Dragonfall? I was wondering if they finished polishing it up and the userbase has created some worthwhile campaigns.

There are no user campaigns worth calling themselves that, but Dragonfall itself is not shabby. The combat gameplay is mediocre to slightly below average, but the rpg has conversations/dialog, and some simple multiple-pathing for story purposes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Well, Fortnite alpha invites just went out and I just got my email. So if you ever signed up, it starts Dec 2nd. I might have two invites left. Seemed like a good game idea several years back, but now, not so sure.

E: Just incase, if anyone is REALLY interested in trying it, shoot me a PM. I can't promise anything atm.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 1, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lukavi posted:

You want this. The upgrade to the GOTC. it's just 2.50.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tacier posted:

Is Castle Crashers a no brainer at $2?

ehhhhhhhhh, I liked it a lot 7 years ago, but the enemies are kinda meat-shieldy and Battleblock Theater has the same gameplay but better in every other way. BBT not being an absolute ghost town doesn't hurt either.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there any planned or rumored DLC coming out for Wolfenstein: The New Order anytime soon? I had a blast with it and might do a second playthrough, but at 50 gigs, it's hogging up my SSD.

Mushball
May 23, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any planned or rumored DLC coming out for Wolfenstein: The New Order anytime soon? I had a blast with it and might do a second playthrough, but at 50 gigs, it's hogging up my SSD.

I don't think there are any plans for DLC but expect a sequel or a new game from the developers on the horizon soon. I loved it and Max Payne 3 which is another space hog but I would honestly uninstall them after your done playing them in order to make room for the next monstrosity that is released.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mushball posted:

I don't think there are any plans for DLC but expect a sequel or a new game from the developers on the horizon soon. I loved it and Max Payne 3 which is another space hog but I would honestly uninstall them after your done playing them in order to make room for the next monstrosity that is released.

Van Helsing has this problem, drat thing is like 20+ gigs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also Child of Light has baller music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAeADtRUYx0

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah I don't see a DLC even adding anything. It was a pretty well self contained experience without a zillion of weird DLC/pre-order weapons and wrapped itself up. Just uninstall it because yeah hot drat.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kurtofan posted:

Think it's safe to wait for the winter sale or whatever? I want to get Alpha Protocol.

Yes but for $8 Alpha Protocol is a great value. I paid full price and got my monies worth ten times over, there is so much content to see in that game.

Seriously, it does the "branching conversations" better than any game I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

A button press puts you in the tactical mode, then you basically can issue orders, so move, fight, cast. You can bring up a potion radial as well for other things and some of the easier orders - attack my target, etc. Press another button and time advances. Hold it down and time keeps on advancing

Gyshall posted:

It's no DA2. I preordered that bullshit and still have a copy on Steam. The token elf-chick is annoying, but not hugely so.

• Locked thread