Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really regret killing small-Gemini first. If it wasn't for that, no Cellar! If I had only remembered Cellar existed, I'd somehow managed to block it out entirely.

You think that's bad? I just accidentally unlocked Conquest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Conquest is a really cool boss so why would you not want to fight him?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain that in one of my games (I have this on PC and Vita), I unlocked the Cellar by accidentally killing small Gemini in the boss rush room when I was super overpowered and killing things without any control over what died when.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

IronicDongz posted:

I always do Cellar because the music rules

It's also not nearly as bad as anyone makes it out to be. It's a little harder, but if you can reliably get to Mom's Heart it shouldn't be a problem for one to get through there.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's also not nearly as bad as anyone makes it out to be. It's a little harder, but if you can reliably get to Mom's Heart it shouldn't be a problem for one to get through there.

(yes I know that's probably below the celler)

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

When you're likely to have no damage boosts dealing with 8 large spiders or multiple spider spawners isn't very fun.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
The cellar is slightly harder, but it makes up for it by having much better music.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Internet Kraken posted:

Conquest is a really cool boss so why would you not want to fight him?

Because he counts as a Horseman but doesn't give a cube of meat or ball of bandages. Basically, he can screw you out of a level 4 Meat Boy or Bandage Girl.

And usually by the time you get to him, the white pony is not a good item to be taking.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I really regret killing small-Gemini first. If it wasn't for that, no Cellar! If I had only remembered Cellar existed, I'd somehow managed to block it out entirely.

I unlocked many things that I regret some before doing my Lost runs. But none so much as the Cellar.

Never again (until the expansion probably...)

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm fairly certain that in one of my games (I have this on PC and Vita), I unlocked the Cellar by accidentally killing small Gemini in the boss rush room when I was super overpowered and killing things without any control over what died when.

Yeah, you can definitely do it on the boss rush. That's how I got it as well. Guess the check is just if its gemini during a boss fight and not a regular room spawn in the chest or whatever.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

President Ark posted:

The cellar is slightly harder, but it makes up for it by having much better music.

I love the contrast in the Cellar and Basement themes. Basement sounds like the start of a fun adventure, while Cellar is like "welcome to hell. You are hosed".

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Because he counts as a Horseman but doesn't give a cube of meat or ball of bandages. Basically, he can screw you out of a level 4 Meat Boy or Bandage Girl.

And usually by the time you get to him, the white pony is not a good item to be taking.

Flight is the most useful thing until you get to the post-Mom's Heart levels and nearly irrelevant afterwards except for avoiding damage from enemy creep. The White Pony would be such a good item if it had more than one floor of relevance.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
I just lost 6 cats in one room to those assholes in the womb who pop up under your feet without warning. As soon as I killed one the others charged. :sigh:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BJPaskoff posted:

Flight is the most useful thing until you get to the post-Mom's Heart levels and nearly irrelevant afterwards except for avoiding damage from enemy creep. The White Pony would be such a good item if it had more than one floor of relevance.

The White pony wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't a spacebar item or if the active effect was more powerful or useful.

Heck, even if Conquest gave you a choice between the White Pony and a meat cube, he wouldn't be so bad.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Both Ponies should just be a two room charge honestly. And Crack in the Sky itself should be one.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

The charge should do something like this :v:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Flight is always good if you don't have it from another source. Enemy creep is a huge problem in some room layouts when you've got a bunch of creep spawning assholes running around leaving trails behind them. It doesn't happen much in Sheol/Cathedral, but there are definitely layouts in the Chest/Dark Room that are much harder if you take damage from creep. The on demand invincibility charge is also good in a pinch, though it does take far too long to charge.

As for the cube of meat problem, I've never even seen 4 horsemen in one game :negative:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
That cursed tear shot that teleports you when you take damage has got to be the shittiest, most irritating game mechanic I've ever encountered.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just had a run last night where I got a first floor Book of Revelations, used it every chance I got, and only saw one horseman. How does that happen? Doesn't using it guarantee a horseman?

There was some unsubstantiated rumor late in Isaac's life that using the Book of Revs an even number of times on a floor would negate the "there must be a horseman" effect, maybe that's what happened? I have no clue, I was pissed because the Ball of Bandages achievement is one of the only non-Lost ones I'm missing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BJPaskoff posted:

I just had a run last night where I got a first floor Book of Revelations, used it every chance I got, and only saw one horseman. How does that happen? Doesn't using it guarantee a horseman?

There was some unsubstantiated rumor late in Isaac's life that using the Book of Revs an even number of times on a floor would negate the "there must be a horseman" effect, maybe that's what happened? I have no clue, I was pissed because the Ball of Bandages achievement is one of the only non-Lost ones I'm missing.

I know it won't give you a Horseman if the boss room was a double boss room, and it won't work on an XL floor. Beyond that, I don't know if it only increases the chance of a horseman or what.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do you unlock any items from beating the game (mom/'s heart/whatever) on hard mode or just regular things you'd get from beating them?

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

+tears does increase his charge rate but no matter what, soy milk is really not worth it with brimstone.

Yeah I wasn't sure what it did at the time. :v:

The head trauma challenge sucks because of it, too; Standing around and slooooowlly chipping dudes down sucks.

IronicDongz posted:

I always do Cellar because the music rules

Cellar's got my favorite music in the game, I'd use it for every stage if I could.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 1, 2014

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

chippy posted:

That cursed tear shot that teleports you when you take damage has got to be the shittiest, most irritating game mechanic I've ever encountered.

It can be pretty good on the lost!:pseudo:

Conquest is a bad boss because there is no way to be absolutely safe from the light beams if the game feels like hitting you with one, it would also be nice if options gave you a meat cube/bandage ball as the second option from him instead of just random boss item.

Also I just finished off the lost unlocks, I'm pretty sure all of the successful runs ended up being guppy, the boss rush (which was my last thing to do) was guppy + brimstone which I then took to the chest and beat blue baby again. I had a run earlier that almost beat the boss rush with brimstone + knife, but I got tagged by a fallen tear of all things.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt

Anatharon posted:

Do you unlock any items from beating the game (mom/'s heart/whatever) on hard mode or just regular things you'd get from beating them?

Yeah a different co-op baby is unlocked for each character when they beat Mom's Heart on hard, plus I think The Lost needs everything beat on hard for the godhead?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Do you unlock anything from building a meatboy like you do with bandage girl or is it just the secret/achievement?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Lowen SoDium posted:

I know it won't give you a Horseman if the boss room was a double boss room, and it won't work on an XL floor. Beyond that, I don't know if it only increases the chance of a horseman or what.

Yeah, think it's just been reduced to being a chance now, in addition to the new exclusions with XL floors and atypical boss room sizes.

Really they need to just make it so whichever is rewarded from your first horseman is all that will rewarded from future horsemen that game.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I hate enemies that slow the game down to a crawl. Those walking guys that cannot take damage until their head pop up drive me nuts. It takes forever just waiting for them to attack.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I hate enemies that slow the game down to a crawl. Those walking guys that cannot take damage until their head pop up drive me nuts. It takes forever just waiting for them to attack.

The Sheol room with those and a rotating laser eyeball you can't circle around is just the worst.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

The Sheol room with those and a rotating laser eyeball you can't circle around is just the worst.

Counterpoint: The room with two Adversaries.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

AndroidHub posted:

Do you unlock anything from building a meatboy like you do with bandage girl or is it just the secret/achievement?

Building Meatboy unlocks the Super Fan, which boosts all stats (including speed it seems, which it did not in the original).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Nurge posted:

Counterpoint: The room with two Adversaries.

That just killed my run where I had all the survival items you could want as ???, but my only item increasing the damage per second I did was the Coathanger which I got back all the way on Basement 1.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

notoriousman posted:

Building Meatboy unlocks the Super Fan, which boosts all stats (including speed it seems, which it did not in the original).

That's actually unlocked by challenge 14. I don't think Meat boy does anything but the achievement now. Super Bandage girl unlock the super bandage though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Me: "I've a good build now with hefty damage quadshot, but I'd really like something more awesome."

Game: "Have a Devil Room with Mom's Knife, Dark Bum and Abbadon."

Also, BBF (the friendly bombfly) is awesome early on but is the biggest loving troll once you get to the bottom levels. Early on most enemies are small and generally near the center of the room, giving BBF time to move the gently caress away from you. In Sheol/Dark Room/Cathedral/Chest 99% of the rooms are bosses. Which are big and if they're dual bosses they're generally placed in the corners. Perfect for BBF to spawn in, hit and catch you in the splash damage before you even have time to finish registering what's going on. I lost so many hearts that way that if I didn't have Dark Bum I'm pretty sure I would have lost despite having enough damage to 2-shot ???.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
What is it with expirmental serum? All stats down with a chance to kill you if your health is low?

The real piss-off is it's in so many item pools that it can show up 4x in a run, unless you pick it up for some reason. I love the idea of an item that can salvage a run where you've had nothing but speed and range ups, but the yellow serum seems to lower all my stats (and then shuffle them.)

Last time I took it I had an all bad stats eden, it raised nothing and took all 3 heart containers away preventing me from taking the devil deal. :sigh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sanctum posted:

What is it with expirmental serum? All stats down with a chance to kill you if your health is low?

The real piss-off is it's in so many item pools that it can show up 4x in a run, unless you pick it up for some reason. I love the idea of an item that can salvage a run where you've had nothing but speed and range ups, but the yellow serum seems to lower all my stats (and then shuffle them.)

Last time I took it I had an all bad stats eden, it raised nothing and took all 3 heart containers away preventing me from taking the devil deal. :sigh:

It's all stats up slightly then randomly distributed. Which means they probably all went into something barely noticeable like luck or range.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Attn: Do not pick up Strange Attraction when you have a splash damage item like Cricket's Body because enemies will magnetize to the tiny splash damage tears just as much as the normal ones and bounce all over the fuckin place and be really hard to kill, all while being pulled up your stream of tears toward you like those fish that swim up your dickhole. I really screwed a good run here but I guess it's my fault for picking up Strange Attraction in the first place. :smith:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Attn: Do not pick up Strange Attraction when you have a splash damage item like Cricket's Body because enemies will magnetize to the tiny splash damage tears just as much as the normal ones and bounce all over the fuckin place and be really hard to kill, all while being pulled up your stream of tears toward you like those fish that swim up your dickhole. I really screwed a good run here but I guess it's my fault for picking up Strange Attraction in the first place. :smith:

Do pick it up with splash damage if you have Ludovico. You get a ridiculously strong pull that sucks everything in and shreds it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you aim the chaos card? It feels like it shoots off in a random direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you aim the chaos card? It feels like it shoots off in a random direction.

It goes in the direction you're currently firing when you press the use button. If you're not aiming in a direction when you use it, it'll be wasted.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Hahaha...

Just did a run with Proptosis, Polyphemus, Tammy's Head and who knows what else. My first ever "every tear is way bigger than Isaac's body" style run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

CJacobs posted:

It goes in the direction you're currently firing when you press the use button. If you're not aiming in a direction when you use it, it'll be wasted.

I've also had lots of success not firing at all and controlling its direction via movement. If you're not shooting it will go the same direction as you're moving.

Getting blank card + chaos card is great for practice and absolutely hilarious because it literally kills everything in one hit. This includes the skull turrets, Peep's/Bloat's eyes and killing masks independently of their hearts.