Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEc0sWuR-o4 :getin:

I totally bullshitted that.

e: drat, so next gen that you can't see the laser that tipped me off or the guy I hit in the head on the video upload. Crazy. Gotta love having a big TV.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Inspector_666 posted:

I got A Key to The North right after successfully breaking out of* the prison.

*Sprinting down a mountain getting chased/shot at by dozens of royal army troops.
Okay thanks! I was PRETTY sure that was the sequence I remembered from my first playthrough - you do the Noore stuff and the big smokestack factory stuff, then do one more Yogi mission (they one with the AK at the start where you chase him and Reggie) and all of the Willis before I was able to find any other campaign missions.. Most of the guides I found are really not in any logical order and don't bother mentioning where to pick up the mission - these days it's just a youtube video of the cutscenes and then the player doing the actual mission, without showing where the point was on the map to pick it up.. :crpssarms:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEc0sWuR-o4 :getin:

I totally bullshitted that.

e: drat, so next gen that you can't see the laser that tipped me off or the guy I hit in the head on the video upload. Crazy. Gotta love having a big TV.

I've done that a few times against snipers while taking outposts. It's extremely satisfying.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming the last Shangri-La mission on hard would probably make me break a controller. It seems to combine everything I hate about boss fights in one!

EDIT: Maybe minus the mechanic from the final boss in Beyond Good and Evil

I definitely thought Shangri-La went on too long. Like it was five parts but really should have been more around 3. 4 is kind of pointless since it doesn't really introduce anything new and 5 is just a boss fight that could have been tacked on to an earlier one.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm assuming the last Shangri-La mission on hard would probably make me break a controller. It seems to combine everything I hate about boss fights in one!
Those are just awful. I did the one story mission and then another to unlock whatever skill was gated behind it and I think that will be it for me. It certainly looks cool but I have a feeling I've seen all there is to see.

I like that this game is really generous about unlocks and achievements for the various activities. Apart from the campaign and outposts you really don't have to 100% activities or collectables to get the best rewards so if you don't like doing something you don't have to spend much time on it. I hope that becomes more of a standard in their future games. I'm still traumatized from getting the drinking game trophy in Watch Dogs.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

BaconPigbutt posted:

I tried this, and it seems to have helped with the mouse acceleration issues:

http://www.reddit.com/r/farcry/comments/2n5w68/far_cry_4_mouse_fix_tested_on_103/

Not sure if its just placebo effect, but I did feel a difference.

If you have an nVidia card, going to the nVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings and setting "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" to 1 or higher made an enormous difference for me (not sure what the ATI equivalent is). This setting was actually in the in-game options for Far Cry 3, not sure why they took it out for 4.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

J-Spot posted:

Those are just awful. I did the one story mission and then another to unlock whatever skill was gated behind it and I think that will be it for me. It certainly looks cool but I have a feeling I've seen all there is to see.

I like that this game is really generous about unlocks and achievements for the various activities. Apart from the campaign and outposts you really don't have to 100% activities or collectables to get the best rewards so if you don't like doing something you don't have to spend much time on it. I hope that becomes more of a standard in their future games. I'm still traumatized from getting the drinking game trophy in Watch Dogs.
The third Shangri-la mission lets you fly like superman and use whorls of rose petals as updrafts, also you get shotgun arrows like are used in multiplayer (they blow in pvp though). There is too much combat but you can skip a lot of combat just by sprinting past most of the trash and hitting the objective - once the bell rings everything dies and you dno't get exp bonuses for killing them anyway so v:shobon:v

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The double-barrel shotgun is hilariously awesome. Those two shots will destroy anything and everything in front of you at close range. I love it. I also really like the echo that the Robocop gun has. A nice callback to the film where it was the loudest gun on the firing range.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jimbot posted:

The double-barrel shotgun is hilariously awesome. Those two shots will destroy anything and everything in front of you at close range. I love it. I also really like the echo that the Robocop gun has. A nice callback to the film where it was the loudest gun on the firing range.
Uh, that's not a shotgun. It's firing bullets. Not slugs - bullets.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

coyo7e posted:

I think he's talking about two different guns.

e: or is this the elephant gun?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

coyo7e posted:

Maybe they're talking about the D2--the sawed-off doubled barrel shotgun?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Morter posted:

Definitely. I've brought bears and tigers into outposts with me and taken them down with a single D2 blast to the face.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
D2-Fan Club Card Holder #1

Morter posted:

Sawed off double-barrel shotgun? I've found my new life partner. :swoon:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Yeah, the sawed off. I'm nowhere close to getting the .700.

So, what's the deal with this Arena Master app? Every champion after the first two are complete wastes of time. 90% of the time they target my guys just coming out of the gate and kills them instantly. Actually, the whole App is a waste of time and it's a shame a gun is linked to that piece of poo poo.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jimbot posted:

So, what's the deal with this Arena Master app? Every champion after the first two are complete wastes of time. 90% of the time they target my guys just coming out of the gate and kills them instantly. Actually, the whole App is a waste of time and it's a shame a gun is linked to that piece of poo poo.

You can get the gun by playing the Arena in game and not use the app at all if you prefer.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

If you're talking about the Bushman, you can still get to level 10 by grinding out user battles. It's a bit tedious, but you could probably do it in an hour or so.

efb

Yamacruiser
Sep 28, 2011

I am the one who knocks!

Jimbot posted:

Just fight the first guy over and over. It's the best exp/time reward.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Man I am bummed, spent a few hours in an xbox party with a friend trying to help walk him through the campaign to open the second half of the map before he bailed, invited two pubbies (first quit within 20-30 seconds, seemed like he was trying to quickmatch-join someone he knew by the way he reacted and immediately left) and the second had no mic until the second or third mission I went on, at which point he was like "bro you wanna go full stealth? gently caress yeah let's take down everything without a noise!" We played for an hour or two then xbox poo poo the bed and I can no longer play anything on my xbox. Can't even remember his gamertag so I an't apologize. :saddowns:

Morter posted:

My bad, most people I've bumped into assume the elephant gun is a double-barrel shottie as well..! :unsmith:

suboptimal posted:

If you're talking about the Bushman, you can still get to level 10 by grinding out user battles. It's a bit tedious, but you could probably do it in an hour or so.

efb
FYI the weapon challenges give out piddly rewards compared to the straight-up "win a couple rounds in generic arena battle" mode.

Which seems to also be pretty small rewards compared to what the app gives you for playing 90 minutes.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I've been running around rocking the shredder and I think I am in love.

Also, weird thought. Maybe the eagles are a social meta commentary on the US foreign relation policies? Brown people are minding their own business and doing their own poo poo and suddenly FREEDOM OUT OF NOWHERE that ends up with most of them dead and a shitload of ammo wasted.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've been running around rocking the shredder and I think I am in love.

Also, weird thought. Maybe the eagles are a social meta commentary on the US foreign relation policies? Brown people are minding their own business and doing their own poo poo and suddenly FREEDOM OUT OF NOWHERE that ends up with most of them dead and a shitload of ammo wasted.
Eh, as long as you keep moving the eagle never ever fucks with you.

Can't say that it's the same for people in the good old :911: http://www.cnet.com/news/two-phone-standoff-after-cop-stops-man-for-walking-with-hands-in-pockets/

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I am trying to unlock the skill that you get access to after two undetected outpost liberations. On the first one I tried, I was never seen by any enemies, but I think the last one saw a dead body or saw someone get killed or something right before I put a bolt in his noggin. It said that I did it with no alarms, but on the skills page it still says I have not liberated any outposts undetected. Do you have to kill everyone without them ever seeing anything for it to count, or did I find a bug?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wojcigitty posted:

I am trying to unlock the skill that you get access to after two undetected outpost liberations. On the first one I tried, I was never seen by any enemies, but I think the last one saw a dead body or saw someone get killed or something right before I put a bolt in his noggin. It said that I did it with no alarms, but on the skills page it still says I have not liberated any outposts undetected. Do you have to kill everyone without them ever seeing anything for it to count, or did I find a bug?

"No Alarms" is a different condition than "Undetected". No alarms literally means no one got to set off an alarm to call reinforcements. They could have seen you plain as day but as long as you killed everyone before they could hit the alarm (including disabling the alarms yourself before killing everyone) you would get the "no alarm" bonus.

"Undetected" means the white detection bar on your stealth never becomes full for any soldier. When it becomes full the game makes that high pitched alarm sound so you know your stealth is blown and you won't get credit for "undetected" because someone detected you.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Wojcigitty posted:

One of the guys saw you. Undetected means that the detection meter (the directional white arrows) can't ever fill up. The first outpost is easy, since everyone's outside.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Wojcigitty posted:

Hover like 30-40m above the outpost and just M79 everyone you can see.

They never detect you, or question why it's raining grenades.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Or just throw bait and let animals do your dirty work.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Ragingsheep posted:

Or just throw bait and let animals do your dirty work.

This is the answer. Do it on one of the first few outposts and 2-3 baits will clear it out.

You will know you did it when you kill the last guy and see 'undetected' written on the screen. It's not hard. If you get seen let them kill you and try again.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, the .700 is pretty great. Now bring on them graboids. :clint:

Those total stealth missions are kind of annoying when they have those stupid molotov wearing fools that explode into flames when they die. Kind of screws things up. But that aside, it was pretty tense sneaking through the place, killing and avoid patrols - it was fun. I had to restart a few times because of said molotov guy, a couple of glitchy take-downs (I'm behind the guy but no prompt because he's at the bottom of the stairs or some such nonsense) and meleeing a guy's butt instead of picking him up. They really need to find better ways of picking dudes up instead of putting the contetxt sensitive action meant for stealth on the alert everyone to your presence button.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Stupid question, but does anyone have a list of the 18 vehicles in the game?

I'm sitting at 17 for what seems to have been forever.
The snowmobile was patched to not affect progression because it's missable. If you're at 17/18, it's probably that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Wojcigitty posted:

If you hear the "beep" sound when someone sees you - you hosed up, stand up, and cook two frags in your own hand and restart the attempt.

Easiest way I've found to CONSISTENTLY do no-detection (and usually no-alarm) runs on outpost is to zoom in with your camera and spto as many folks as you can (doesn't matter really) and then call in a Golden Path Merc onto the point your camera is on, I think it takes a SECOND tap of the same button to make them go to the point you're looking at rather than showing up ten feet away from you..

And then when the merc shows up, toss bait toward the opposing end of the area. Maybe snipe a couple alarm posts and easy kills in the meantime before MISSION COMPLETE appears. If your bait pulls a wolf, you might need a couple pieces of bait after each wolf/dhole dies, unless they get lucky because canines suck shite without a full pack.. Figure out guard dogs on your own because they're a one-trick pony, despite being way way too sketchy about reliably knowing if they can sense you - just lure and kill them ASAP.

Between a couple of grenades/a merc and a bait or two, you can easily take down any outpost or fortress (which doesn't have hunters hanging around - just kill them with throwing knives and then do the same thing you'd otherwise do to deal with the rest), the main thing is to not sit still for more than 5-10 seconds at a time and to know where your avenues of "stealth" are when you move away from safety and toward another area where the enemy won't search for you. Basically once you start dropping bodies, you should be acting as if you've been spotted and circling to the next area for the next clean shot after one or two - you can miss a kill shot and move away, but it's usually tougher to get a second shot on a winged and suspicious enemy until you've reconnoitered to another spot. You can allow a body to be discovered and you can allow the alrms to be sounded, but you cannot afford to stay in the same bush once you hear these things occuring - move to another spot 20-40 yards away and then pick off the easy stragglers until there's no real threat left, and then just sneak up or frag or throw bait at them.

Most of the time you can clear small outposts in a couple minutes without folks searching for you, but you always should be assuming that they can and will turn and spot you so stay in the bushes and keep moving around the edges.

After you've gotten a couple of no-detect runs, it will feel a lot more natural and you can just kill half the folks, distract the rest, and then go in balls-out and shoot the rest in the back of the head with a silenced *anything* before they hear you coming in hot... Pretend it's a Hostage Mission and once you notice someone got alerted, IMMEDIATELY change your strat (and you should already know how you'd approach in any case) and bum-rush in shooting out alarms and people with whatever (preferably but not necessary) silenced weapon as fast as possible. This is good to practise in co-op since people will gently caress up on stuff like fortresses and then rush in hot and kill everybody by laying down LMG fire over the lone remaining alarm console while everyone rushes toward it, etc.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 2, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OneEightHundred posted:

The snowmobile was patched to not affect progression because it's missable. If you're at 17/18, it's probably that.

A stupid van ended up being mine, I don't think I ever saw one of those sitting, had to commandeer it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Maneki Neko posted:

A stupid van ended up being mine, I don't think I ever saw one of those sitting, had to commandeer it.

Yeah I've noticed a few novel civilian vehicles in the second half of the map 0 many of which are minivan variants etc. Also the hovercraft if nobody's got that, and like 3 or 4 types of boats?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Soooooo... It's been a full week since the last PC patch which purported to fix precisely two of the many things that are wrong with the game, one of which wasn't fixed at all for a lot of us.

Any change Ubi will fix this game, or what? Anyone heard anything on this front?

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
So I have put a bit of time in now and am I the only one hoping I can murder ever god damned character they have introduced?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I saw that there was a Far Cry 4 season pass, but I saw no mention or anything of Blood Dragon 2, and I think that's what will decide me from buying this game or not.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I had to turn off the aim assist in this game. It didn't really feel satisfying to play with and the aiming controls don't seem to be too bad.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I managed to get De Pleur out of the City of Pain completely steathily, but it seems like the game assumes this can't happen. The whole way out there were audio cues like they were meant to happen during a pitched battle, but I'm just sauntering out as guards go about their business.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

noice

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
sure no problem, just seid all your numbership outta nowherel

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
lol gently caress off multiplayer. The idea was interesting too.
Borderline impossible to interact with anything too if you're lagging. I'm getting hordes of bears thrown at me as I'm futility trying to plant a bomb. I couldn't of been lagging that much either, it's not like I wasn't able to shoot dudes. I was downing guys in 3-5 body shots with the MS16 rifle but interacting with something? No sir, use the thing four times nope still not planting the bomb or curb stomping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
Is there any fix for the shadows being screwed up? It only happened in some caves for me but now the second half of the map has a lot of flickering and dark/light snaps. Also, for some reason my game won't update to 1.4. I'm stuck at 1.3.

• Locked thread