Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

KiteAuraan posted:

close, krav maga, swords and "lightsaber training".

But I thought mangos hated Jedi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Chill la Chill posted:

keep up with the thread, according to that really bad author they are the ones who teach the padawans their lightsaber skills

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 2, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
When did Star Wars die for you?

It was Attack of the Clones for me. Specifically that moment when a big troupe of Jedi charges into the middle of the stadium all swinging their lightsabers over their head, all somehow deflecting a zillion blaster bolts as they ran in closely bunched together like a flying wedge or something. Something just fizzled out in my brain and from that day forward I didn't give a gently caress about Star Wars

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Harime Nui posted:

It was Attack of the Clones for me. Specifically that moment when a big troupe of Jedi charges into the middle of the stadium all swinging their lightsabers over their head, all somehow deflecting a zillion blaster bolts as they ran in closely bunched together like a flying wedge or something. Something just fizzled out in my brain and from that day forward I didn't give a gently caress about Star Wars

I think it was TPM for me. I was stationed in Iceland with the Air Force and we got it roughly the same time as it came out in the States at the base theater because GL was doing it for "the troops" I guess. I was the first on in line at the theater. 19 years old and too goony to give a gently caress that I was getting weird looks for being a one-man camp-out line the day of the "premiere." When the 20th Century Fox/LFL logos came up with the score I was positively giddy. Then I watched 136 minutes of gobbledeegook and I was kind of I guess a little stunned when the credits rolled. I didn't know what to think.

So I looked over at my buddy Corey who was across the row from me as the house lights came up and gave him a "what did you think" kind of look and he kind of wince-squints and wobbles his hand palm down in a "so-so" gesture. And then I had my confirmation. It wasn't just me. A really bad Star Wars had happened. AotC was just the second tower coming down at that point.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harime Nui posted:

It was being beyond stoked for phantom menace and then realizing I couldn't remember anything that happened in the movie after I left the theater aside from the pod race. I think I was 12 and still a huge obsessive Star Wars fan at the time. I read the eu stuff for a few more years after that pretty regularly but that was definitely the turning point

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Only after the rest of the authors got in on it. In the Thrawn Trilogy, the Grand Admiral does make a few mistakes, and he is duped by Lando when he tries to steal New Republic warships. It was only after Zahn that everyone kept orgasming over how super invincible Thrawn was, and it got really annoying. Like how they take one instance where Thrawn perceives a tactical advantage from looking at a Species's painting, and suddenly Thrawn can defeat anyone by looking at their artwork.

I wonder if Thrawn was to attack earth, and in order to devise a tactic he looks at our artwork and stumbles over some DeviantArt...

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Otisburg posted:

I think it was TPM for me. I was stationed in Iceland with the Air Force and we got it roughly the same time as it came out in the States at the base theater because GL was doing it for "the troops" I guess. I was the first on in line at the theater. 19 years old and too goony to give a gently caress that I was getting weird looks for being a one-man camp-out line the day of the "premiere." When the 20th Century Fox/LFL logos came up with the score I was positively giddy. Then I watched 136 minutes of gobbledeegook and I was kind of I guess a little stunned when the credits rolled. I didn't know what to think.

So I looked over at my buddy Corey who was across the row from me as the house lights came up and gave him a "what did you think" kind of look and he kind of wince-squints and wobbles his hand palm down in a "so-so" gesture. And then I had my confirmation. It wasn't just me. A really bad Star Wars had happened. AotC was just the second tower coming down at that point.

I endured jar jar and the stupid kid yelling yippee and poo poo only to be treated to Darth mauls completely lackluster death. Whole movie was bullshit. I like the third prequel quite a bit though. Don't own the first two prequels. Probably never will.

EU. I don't know what is canon and what is not. I've heard some weird things about the skywalker kids but unless that shows up in a movie I don't care.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

I endured jar jar and the stupid kid yelling yippee and poo poo only to be treated to Darth mauls completely lackluster death. Whole movie was bullshit. I like the third prequel quite a bit though. Don't own the first two prequels. Probably never will.

EU. I don't know what is canon and what is not. I've heard some weird things about the skywalker kids but unless that shows up in a movie I don't care.

nothing eu related is even remotely considered canon any more so none of the skywalker or solo kids exist

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

lmao "hey did anyone happen to ever take a picture of chewbacca? i should have asked before i started working on this sculpture, this one looks like a mongoloid."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
truly, they captured chewies trademark look of "rapist early 1900s Italian stereotype" to a T

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A reminder that they're sitting on 39 completed episodes of that awful Star Wars Detours comedy series with another 62 finished scripts ready to be animated, they've just held them back from release until Ep 7 comes out. The worst is yet to come!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSqslieMkcI

Harime Nui posted:

Here's a video of some diehard fans experiencing that moment. Some Australian filmmakers made a documentary called The Phandom Menace where they followed some fans around and interviewed them immediately before and after seeing Ep 1 for the first time. Skip ahead to 24:00 for the fans lining up to see the first midnight screening and then skip ahead to 31:15 to see their reactions immediately afterwards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrSDtIahsF0

The fans who were desperately trying to rationalise that it will grow on people are perhaps the saddest.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A reminder that they're sitting on 39 completed episodes of that awful Star Wars Detours comedy series with another 62 finished scripts ready to be animated, they've just held them back from release until Ep 7 comes out. The worst is yet to come!

So they got some of the guys who did that Robot Chicken Star Wars thing and got them to do a G-rated version of that?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Here's a video of some diehard fans experiencing that moment. Some Australian filmmakers made a documentary called The Phandom Menace where they followed some fans around and interviewed them immediately before and after seeing Ep 1 for the first time. Skip ahead to 24:00 for the fans lining up to see the first midnight screening and then skip ahead to 31:15 to see their reactions immediately afterwards.

The fans who were desperately trying to rationalise that it will grow on people are perhaps the saddest.

Ahahahaha.
This is great.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Oh yeah, "wanting to destroy the force" would do it. God I really like Kreia.
I hear that because the MMO is Bioware they threw out a lot of the stuff from KOTOR II. Otherwise I might've considered briefly playing some of the story bits once.
The Imperial Agent storyline and character are great.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A Force Vampire who can eat entire planets and a Force Lich who can't die because he hates everything so goddam much have killed almost all the jedi in the galaxy. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the remaining jedi masters?
Although it was likely intentionally anti-climactic, I still cannot help but laugh at the fact that you kill Darth Sion in the following manner: you inform him that he is a failure and nobody wants him.

Also, don't forget that the player character is a Force black hole. I'd probably like KotOR II a lot more if it weren't for its copious amounts of KJA-esque Force bullshit.

Aesop Poprock posted:

She also couldn't handle any sort of criticism whatsoever and called people who didn't like her books "talifans" because why not
Having played the Mass Effect series and having been exposed to the concept of "talimancers", I was momentarily confused by this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Could someone list some specific things in KOTOR 2 which are evidence of deliberately making GBS threads on elements of the EU.

It more or less boiled down to "The Jedi were incompetent morons who didn't see the writing on the wall, scapegoated the poo poo out of the only person who turned themselves in, continued to prance around doing the exact same poo poo that led to the problems in the first place, and essentially both Jedi/Sith were by and large misguided idiots who didn't actually understand what they were doing"

Also, regular people could undergo training and become expert Jedi killers. It's really hard to quantify, but if you play the game all the force philosophy stuff that comes out is completely different from the literal Jedi=good Sith=bad.

Obsidian wrote the game script, went about developing the game expecting Lucas to pitch a fit over the writing, but then LucasArts demanded a early Xmas release, something like 6 months earlier then the expected release so everything originally planned made it into the game (expect for the stuff cut for time reasons but was still coded into the game and it took 10 years for modders to completely fix)

Aesop Poprock posted:

She also couldn't handle any sort of criticism whatsoever and called people who didn't like her books "talifans" because why not

What happened was she was essentially told by the publishing group/writers on the series contract that she had to follow the series outlines, not make major changes to established stuff, and stick to a certain theme/perspective, upon which she threw a huge temper tantrum and was dropped and no longer on the list of authors to contract out for Star Wars books.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aesop Poprock posted:

pentyne posted:

What happened was she was essentially told by the publishing group/writers on the series contract that she had to follow the series outlines, not make major changes to established stuff, and stick to a certain theme/perspective, upon which she threw a huge temper tantrum and was dropped and no longer on the list of authors to contract out for Star Wars books.

"Okay Karen, I know we asked you to try and channel the spirit of George Lucas when you wrote those books but this isn't quite what we had in mind."

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Meh. They were definitely cranking up the grittiness, but it looked interesting because you weren't a Jedi/Sith or TIE fighter or whatever the gently caress
1313 just looked like Mass Effect or whatever and had no feel of Star Wars at all. Republic Commando did it right, it had its own feel and wasn't focused on jedi but it was still Star Wars.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow those Starwalking dudes are wankers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

"Okay Karen, I know we asked you to try and channel the spirit of George Lucas when you wrote those books but this isn't quite what we had in mind."

She moved onto greener pastures.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Lol. I'm surprised she hasn't written any warhammer stuff honestly, space marines seem like they'd be right up her alley

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
What I hated about Traviss is that when it was her turn to write the next book of whatever sage was going on, the entire thing would screech to a halt while because every other chapter was about Boba Fett. The last story I remember reading was about his grand daughter or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pentyne posted:

She moved onto greener pastures.

Hey it could be worse...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey it could be worse...

Im calling it first, gonna get rich with Dwarf Fortress novels.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Im calling it first, gonna get rich with Dwarf Fortress novels.

I call Terraria.
I've never played it but I've already got the first two books written.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey it could be worse...

:smithicide:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

The world of Minecraft comes to life in this thrilling adventure!

Gameknight999 loved Minecraft, but above all else, he loved to grief—to intentionally ruin the gaming experience for other users.

When one of his father’s inventions teleports him into the game, Gameknight is forced to live out a real-life adventure inside a digital world. What will happen if he’s killed? Will he respawn? Die in real life? Stuck in the game, Gameknight discovers Minecraft’s best-kept secret, something not even the game’s programmers realize: the creatures within the game are alive! He will have to stay one step ahead of the sharp claws of zombies and pointed fangs of spiders, but he’ll also have to learn to make friends and work as a team if he has any chance of surviving the Minecraft war his arrival has started.

This action-packed tribute to the worldwide computer game phenomenon is a runaway publishing smash and the perfect companion for Minecraft fans of all ages.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well on the other hand, recycling the old cyanide and happiness pun, this is probably just a misunderstanding...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

keep up with the thread, according to that really bad author they are the ones who teach the padawans their lightsaber skills

Oh ok. I had encyclopedic knowledge of the movie stuff at one point due to the card game but never the EU past a couple books. This is confusing lol

Imagine if they made wraith squadron into a miniseries. :allears:

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Chomp8645 posted:

Hey it could be worse...

If it gets a kid involved in reading, that's great.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

burritolingus posted:

If it gets a kid involved in reading, that's great.

I think the Star Wars EU got me involved in reading as a kid and I turned out great! Kids reading is good but kids like to read dumb poo poo.

Actually wait adults read dumb poo poo too, carry on kids.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Galaxy of Fear! Imagine, if you can, amateur-hour retellings of Goosebumps stories in the Prequel Universe with two dumb kids and their Jedi uncle. I remember everything was holograms all the time.

However, my secret shame is that I will always stan for AC Crispin's Han Solo trilogy. That's good stuff. Also Corran Horn was a cool guy, even if/because he was just Jedi Han.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
People were worried that vaccinations was causing autism in their children for years and years when the real culprit all this time was Minecraft novels.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

gohuskies posted:

They're called Selonians.

Space weasels ripped my flesh

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ok I laughed at some of that.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I've talked about wars with people before and most find the idea of 20 or more soldiers sacrificing their lives to save one civilian to be perfectly acceptable. I point out that I was in the military and that I have friends and family in the military and I asked them why they believe their life is worth 20 of ours. The best answer they can stutter out is, "Well, uh you volunteered."

the answer is yes, 1 of us civilians is worth 20 of you because we arent bloodhungry baby murdering rapists.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

a starwar betamax posted:

the answer is yes, 1 of us civilians is worth 20 of you because we arent bloodhungry baby murdering rapists.

the correct answer is it's your job to die, and you thought that was a good career move.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Its really the societal version of addition by subtraction when a soldier dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

KiteAuraan posted:

There is a whole big fandom of people that are basically like Klingon nerds but for Mandalorians. They learn the language, make the armor, try to live like in the Traviss books, it's p. funny.

I can't find it at the moment, but I do remember a particularly amusing meltdown by an out-right Monarchist mando-fan on theforce.net after she included two gay clone troopers in a relationship together in one of her books.

• Locked thread