Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
gently caress me writing a jury charge is hard. Especially when the pattern jury charges say "gently caress we don't know in this situation, make something up."

Also my friend is trying to convince me to start advocating for the death penalty in civil suits. What would the consequences be if I ended my closing with "No amount of money can make my client whole. That's why we're asking you sentence the driver to death. (pause) What do you mean we can't do that? Fine. Money will be fine."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I literally don't understand how to be under 200 lbs. I'd have to never squat again in my life, quads so thick

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I literally don't understand how to be under 200 lbs. I'd have to never squat again in my life, quads so thick

Eat around 2,000 calories a day or less, and perform no physical exercise other than getting to your car, etc. That's one way to do it.

At least that's pretty much what works for me. :)

Honestly, one of my problems (and it is just something I have to work through and get over) is that whenever I have worked out in the past (longest I have gone is nine months), I start eating far in excess of what I need due to the workout. Basically, I get hungry, and my old fat person habits kick in and I start going nuts eating poo poo. Not, "You have to eat more, you're gaining muscle," but just getting fatter from eating more than the workouts need.

It is very easy to say, "Just deal with it, you'll get through it," but recognize you are talking to a person who once weighed 325 lbs. So with that background, anything that fucks with my weight and eating patters feels a bit like telling an alcoholic how to just have a drink or two. I found a living pattern that keeps me at a healthy weight, and anything I do needs to factor in the risk of loving up a 140 lb weight loss that I've kept off for 15 years.

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 2, 2014

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

drat. I'm impressed you managed to lose that much weight. I'm heavier than I like but get intimidated every time I think about doing something about it. Then I stress-eat to not care about my problems until the next sugar crash. WOOO.

And why do you all have to bill vacation days or vacation hours? I'm so confused by firms that want to track vacation when the only metric partners care about is billed hours. You can't actually bill the vacation time, can you?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Arcturas posted:

drat. I'm impressed you managed to lose that much weight. I'm heavier than I like but get intimidated every time I think about doing something about it. Then I stress-eat to not care about my problems until the next sugar crash. WOOO.

And why do you all have to bill vacation days or vacation hours? I'm so confused by firms that want to track vacation when the only metric partners care about is billed hours. You can't actually bill the vacation time, can you?

You have to do it to keep track. The way the system at my firm works is you must bill at least 8 hours a day Monday through Friday. Whether its something actually billable, or 8 hours a day for vacation, or 4 hours for a client and 4 hours of professional reading because you don't have anything else to do.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's hard because I was 270 and went down to 220 then proceeded to put on 30 pounds while doing crossfit and pregnancy sympathy weight so I just don't know what any more and don't give a gently caress as long as I eventually hit 220 again but on the other hand I'm strongest and fittest I've been my adult life so welp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Get an overgrowth of h pylori in your guts bad enough that the GI clinic is shocked you're not severely ulcerated due to the length of the infection. I drat near have my six pack back and weigh less than I have in 7 years. Granted this is because I haven't eaten for 6 months except when stoned because my stomach was tying itself in knots. If you're drunk all the time anyways, you'll hardly notice it!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SlyFrog posted:

No, I'm going to play videogames, my one stress relief item that occupies my mind and lets me breathe.

Then I will feel incredibly guilty, depressed, and self-deprecating about it, because I'm engaging in an isolating activity instead of being out meeting people, learning new cool skills and hobbies, and making myself a better and more interesting person like I am supposed to be doing.

Man, it's your life and you get to choose what makes you happy. Don't feel guilty about having a goony hobby.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I got accepted to a local school here in Pittsburgh, Duquesne, which from what I understand places well regionally and has a good alumni network here in Western PA, which is where I want to stay and practice, preferably doing something in family law, veterans law, or litigation. I particularly don't care about being rich, and the scholarship they're offering me leaves me paying about $33-35K total for a JD. My house and cars are paid off, I don't owe on credit cards or other loans, and my undergrad was paid for by the GI Bill so I only have about $6K in student debt from there. I'm 33 and have a varied work history, and I sit on my county's Democratic committee so I have a pretty good network in place of people in politics, law, and the judiciary since our judges are all elected here in PA, and they all come to political events.

Am I doing this right? Is a relatively low ranked (compared nationally) school worth going to, even with a large scholarship offer?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Be clear with yourself on your objective. You say you want to practice law. You're sure you don't want to just to be in politics or government generally?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Is the scholarship contingent on a certain GPA, do they then curve 66% of the class to fall under that GPA, and/or do they put all the recipients in the same section?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Petey posted:

& +1 to what Meatbag said about not feeling self-conscious in the gym. Yes, it's easier said then done, but you have to remember that sucking at something is the first step at being kind of good at something. I went from never having done barbell lifts to being respectably strong in a few weeks of just doing it, and It Owns.
It's completely normal to feel self-conscious about doing something new, so I would think it would be weird - and possibly indicative of a lack of self-awareness - if someone felt completely normal picking up some weights for the first time in front of complete strangers who know what they are doing.

That said, with knowledge + experience, the self conscious feeling goes away pretty quick. Also, you are not female, and therefore most of the other folks in the gym (dudes) won't really be eyeballing you because you won't be doing some totally awesome reps or making a complete rear end of yourself beyond maybe having bad form (don't have bad form). In fact, you'll probably be actually watched by someone else only if you're using a bench or station that someone else wants to use, and they're waiting for you to be done.

One other thing: be strategic about when you go to the gym. Hitting the gym up at 5-7PM after work will get you fighting for the ability to use the equipment. Horrible time to go if you're new and aren't sure what you want to do and how to do it.

Different gyms are different, but I have found that morning and midday times during the week are generally pretty solid in terms of minimal activity (personal experience: the regs that show up at midday are the most chill). Early morning (pre-9AM) and midday (2-5PM) on weekends also tend to miss the spikes in activity, but that's probably much more variable.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

yronic heroism posted:

Be clear with yourself on your objective. You say you want to practice law. You're sure you don't want to just to be in politics or government generally?

Yeah, I tried the politics thing and I absolutely hated it. I just keep my committee seat for the networking it allows. I also worked in government and I did six years in the Air Force, which I liked my job but wasn't a tremendous fan of government bureaucracy. The reason I want to focus on veterans law is because veterans courts are sprouting up all over Pennsylvania, and Duquesne has a strong veterans clinic. I came back from the military with PTSD and had substance abuse issues for years before cleaning my act up about 6 years ago. The only issue is that veterans law probably won't even be enough to pay what bills I do have.

And as for my scholarship, it's simply contingent upon being in good academic standing. As long as I pass, I keep the cash. Other schools offered more, but were tied to GPA which my pre-law advisor told me I should avoid like the plague.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Toona the Cat posted:

I want to stay and practice, preferably doing something in family law, veterans law, or litigation.
Some folks in here practice family law. They will tell you how horrible it is.

Veterans law sounds cool, but I'm not sure what that is? You want to help vets navigate through the mess that is the VA? Not sure how big/viable of a practice that is.

"Litigation" is not really an area you practice in (beyond the litigation / corporate divide), but I'm guessing you mean you just want to be a general practitioner who does whatever walks through the front door, usually with an eye towards settlement upon threat of a jury trial? This is mostly a solo/small firm situation. That sounds most plausible of your options, and would include some sprinkling of family law and undoubtedly at least one veteran will walk into your office (though who knows for what).

There are a few solo/small firm practitioners who frequent this thread. I think there are some "day in the life of" testimonials in the OP, but asking what life is like might really give you a more solid idea as to just what you'd be getting into (I dunno what more specific questions you might have, but ask those too).

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Toona: are you ok with working 60 hours a week to earn 30,000 per year for the rest of your life? If so, go for it.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Toona: are you ok with working 60 hours a week to earn 30,000 per year for the rest of your life? If so, go for it.

My first two years in the Air Force I copied Morse code for 8-12 hours a day for $1000/mo + room and board. :suicide:

So yeah, something in the ballpark of 40-60k/year...I can easily live with that. I get paid about $1600/mo now on the GI Bill and it takes care of all of my basic needs.

Toona the Cat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Green Crayons posted:

Some folks in here practice family law. They will tell you how horrible it is.

Veterans law sounds cool, but I'm not sure what that is? You want to help vets navigate through the mess that is the VA? Not sure how big/viable of a practice that is.

"Litigation" is not really an area you practice in (beyond the litigation / corporate divide), but I'm guessing you mean you just want to be a general practitioner who does whatever walks through the front door, usually with an eye towards settlement upon threat of a jury trial? This is mostly a solo/small firm situation. That sounds most plausible of your options, and would include some sprinkling of family law and undoubtedly at least one veteran will walk into your office (though who knows for what).

There are a few solo/small firm practitioners who frequent this thread. I think there are some "day in the life of" testimonials in the OP, but asking what life is like might really give you a more solid idea as to just what you'd be getting into (I dunno what more specific questions you might have, but ask those too).

In Pennsylvania, they've set up veterans courts who deal only with first or second time offenders who happen to be veterans. It has a greater focus on rehabilitation, getting homeless vets off the streets who turn to crime, and those who came back with mental issues and such. It helps enroll them into VA programs and tries to cut down recidivism.

Yeah, you're spot on with the general practitioner aspect. Last semester I shadowed my university's general counsel, who worked in solo practice for 20 years. He said the first 15 were pretty awful with just trying to generate enough business from people who could actually pay. I'll be 37 when I finish law school so that's not exactly appealing, but I would be okay with being in a small firm. My pre-law advisor was a malpractice/injury lawyer here in Pittsburgh for 30 years, where he was a managing partner before retiring and handing his seat to his son and basically said as long as I don't gently caress law school up horribly, he has the right connections to get me started.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

In Pennsylvania, they've set up veterans courts who deal only with first or second time offenders who happen to be veterans. It has a greater focus on rehabilitation, getting homeless vets off the streets who turn to crime, and those who came back with mental issues and such. It helps enroll them into VA programs and tries to cut down recidivism.

Yeah, you're spot on with the general practitioner aspect. Last semester I shadowed my university's general counsel, who worked in solo practice for 20 years. He said the first 15 were pretty awful with just trying to generate enough business from people who could actually pay. I'll be 37 when I finish law school so that's not exactly appealing, but I would be okay with being in a small firm. My pre-law advisor was a malpractice/injury lawyer here in Pittsburgh for 30 years, where he was a managing partner before retiring and handing his seat to his son and basically said as long as I don't gently caress law school up horribly, he has the right connections to get me started.

I have over $45,000 in outstanding invoices this year.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
what is it about law that makes people think they don't have to pay us? these same people most likely wouldn't hire a plumber, agree to pay a plumber a certain rate, then refuse to pay their plumber.

i mean i get that we provide much less value to society than do plumbers, but a deal's a deal

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

CaptainScraps posted:

I have over $45,000 in outstanding invoices this year.

Good grief. How much of it do you actually expect to get back?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

what is it about law that makes people think they don't have to pay us? these same people most likely wouldn't hire a plumber, agree to pay a plumber a certain rate, then refuse to pay their plumber.

i mean i get that we provide much less value to society than do plumbers, but a deal's a deal

I think it's because while people understand that they aren't capable of fixing their own plumbing, every dumb gently caress who can google "divorce in [insert state here]" thinks they are the equivalent of a lawyer.

See also, from my previous life, how no one tries to pretend they are a film editor, but every fucktard with a macbook thinks they can write the next great american screenplay.

PS...to bring this thread back to the important business of gaming...my atheist mage boned Cullen again. You need to get on the Josie train already.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Toona the Cat posted:

Am I doing this right? Is a relatively low ranked (compared nationally) school worth going to, even with a large scholarship offer?

Yes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The answer to billing woes is always Retainers, and "I'm withdrawing."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

I think it's because while people understand that they aren't capable of fixing their own plumbing, every dumb gently caress who can google "divorce in [insert state here]" thinks they are the equivalent of a lawyer.
Yeah, this is probably a huge part of it. That is one thing I don't miss about family law, explaining to some dumbfuck why this sweet case from Nebraska he found does not mean poo poo to a Michigan family judge

ActusRhesus posted:

PS...to bring this thread back to the important business of gaming...my atheist mage boned Cullen again. You need to get on the Josie train already.
ughhhhh I've barely played DA:I for the past week because this other game I play is having an amazing event. this weekend I will get back at it and my dwarf will show Josie what it means to worship the Stone, if u know what I mean.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Green Crayons posted:

It's completely normal to feel self-conscious about doing something new, so I would think it would be weird - and possibly indicative of a lack of self-awareness - if someone felt completely normal picking up some weights for the first time in front of complete strangers who know what they are doing.

That said, with knowledge + experience, the self conscious feeling goes away pretty quick. Also, you are not female, and therefore most of the other folks in the gym (dudes) won't really be eyeballing you because you won't be doing some totally awesome reps or making a complete rear end of yourself beyond maybe having bad form (don't have bad form). In fact, you'll probably be actually watched by someone else only if you're using a bench or station that someone else wants to use, and they're waiting for you to be done.

One other thing: be strategic about when you go to the gym. Hitting the gym up at 5-7PM after work will get you fighting for the ability to use the equipment. Horrible time to go if you're new and aren't sure what you want to do and how to do it.

Different gyms are different, but I have found that morning and midday times during the week are generally pretty solid in terms of minimal activity (personal experience: the regs that show up at midday are the most chill). Early morning (pre-9AM) and midday (2-5PM) on weekends also tend to miss the spikes in activity, but that's probably much more variable.

Thanks for this. I have actually thought about that aspect of it, because I know one of the things people gently caress up etiquette-wise is tying up the machines, etc. And I literally do not know how to use the machines (and have no mechanical aptitude or intuition, so for awhile I'll be the guy trying to figure out what the clip-thingie on the post is actually for and how to move it).

So it is helpful to get an idea of when machine use will be a bit less intense and fought over.

Trying to stay somewhat legal related, one of the funny things about this process is that everyone uses the, "Well, you can just bury yourself in your work as a distraction," line for how to deal with being recently divorced. Interestingly, I have found that really does not work when you are fundamentally uninterested in the work.

That being said, trying to look on the bright side of things, if there was ever a time where I really appreciate the aspect of my job that means I do not usually have to be "in my chair" at any given time, this is it. The ability to work from home, not have to punch a clock (other than billing total time), etc. is extremely nice right now. I really feel for people who go through a divorce or other major event like that who work 50-60 hour weeks but who literally have to be onsite the entire time and cannot get away from their worksite. It has to really suck in terms of trying to pick up a kid at an odd time here and there, etc. At least I have some flexibility in that area in private practice.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
To the extent it helps, I recently separated from my wife (for reasons that I like to think do not include my being cursed with a J.D.) and can totally understand. I've been finding things to keep myself busy, which sometimes includes work.

If you really want to jump into the fitness thing, come hang out in YLLS. There's lot of good information there, and everyone has to start somewhere.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Good grief. How much of it do you actually expect to get back?

Ffffffft.

Not much.

But I generally don't withdraw. Deadbeats send me new business, which gives me some money and also leaves me with unpaid bills.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Toona the Cat posted:

I came back from the military with PTSD and had substance abuse issues for years before cleaning my act up about 6 years ago. The only issue is that veterans law probably won't even be enough to pay what bills I do have.

And as for my scholarship, it's simply contingent upon being in good academic standing. As long as I pass, I keep the cash. Other schools offered more, but were tied to GPA which my pre-law advisor told me I should avoid like the plague.

Toona, you sound like you've done your homework far better than most prospective students in this thread. Also congrats on getting a handle on your substance abuse issues. However, have you considered that lawyers are at very high risk for depression and substance abuse and what impact this might have on your preexisting issues?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been playing video games mostly instead of studying. I've got a test tomorrow, but it's mostly over economics and game theory and I have a BS in eco. So many people stressing the gently caress out, though.

I have been doing the same, playing games, watching LPs, writing out notes. I am a tad stressed, but out university only weighs the first semester as 20% of the final grade of the course, so I know that no matter how badly I gently caress it up, I can make up the rest of the marks next semester when I know exactly what to do on an exam.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

Whatever you do, you should negotiate for a higher scholarship offer from Duquesne. You should at least get them to match those higher offers. Depending on how close the numbers are, maybe push for a full-ride. Schedule an appointment with someone on the admissions staff, mention your other offers and tell them that finances are a concern for you and you want to know what they can offer. Then go from there. I think it's useful to meet in person for these as much as possible. They may say they'll have to wait until later in the cycle, like March or April to let you know, but just say fine, stick to your guns, and have a few follow-up meetings or phone calls every 2-3 weeks until you have an answer.

Do you really have a sense of what day to day life as an attorney, specifically at a solo practice or small firm? Following around the general counsel of a university is not a good picture of what life would be like, and as you said, even he didn't enjoy 3/4 of his time in private practice. It sounds like the thing you want to do most is help veterans. Particularly since you probably have military hiring preference, is there some job in federal or state government that may be a better fit?

Also, think about the 3 years of income you are giving up as a part of the cost. You didn't say what you do now for work, but 3 years of negative income is going to hurt. If you're making decent money, you may want to consider a part-time program to keep money flowing in, or take the opportunity to make more connections and work in a firm similar to where you want to end up.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I'm enjoying the Josephine romance.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Alaemon posted:

you motherfucker

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Alaemon posted:

Is that the ambassador lady?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
Yes, and she's delightful!

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

It is a good and fun romance, we've come a long way from Origins.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Soylent Pudding posted:

Toona, you sound like you've done your homework far better than most prospective students in this thread. Also congrats on getting a handle on your substance abuse issues. However, have you considered that lawyers are at very high risk for depression and substance abuse and what impact this might have on your preexisting issues?

I've had extremely good advisers. My entire department at my undergrad university is comprised of four professors, two of which are former attorneys. All of them wrote my letters of recommendation, and I've basically kept them in the loop at every step, asked their advice, and then acted on what they recommended. It's worked out well.

Yeah, I've strongly considered that. My problems with alcohol were before my daughter was born. After my daughter was born in 2009, and suffered a birth injury resulting in cerebral palsy, it made giving up the sauce a lot easier. I haven't really been much more of a light social drinker since she was born. Before that, at least a couple times a week I would sit at my desk and see how fast I could drink a fifth of something, in between other drinks.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Whatever you do, you should negotiate for a higher scholarship offer from Duquesne. You should at least get them to match those higher offers. Depending on how close the numbers are, maybe push for a full-ride. Schedule an appointment with someone on the admissions staff, mention your other offers and tell them that finances are a concern for you and you want to know what they can offer. Then go from there. I think it's useful to meet in person for these as much as possible. They may say they'll have to wait until later in the cycle, like March or April to let you know, but just say fine, stick to your guns, and have a few follow-up meetings or phone calls every 2-3 weeks until you have an answer.

Do you really have a sense of what day to day life as an attorney, specifically at a solo practice or small firm? Following around the general counsel of a university is not a good picture of what life would be like, and as you said, even he didn't enjoy 3/4 of his time in private practice. It sounds like the thing you want to do most is help veterans. Particularly since you probably have military hiring preference, is there some job in federal or state government that may be a better fit?

Also, think about the 3 years of income you are giving up as a part of the cost. You didn't say what you do now for work, but 3 years of negative income is going to hurt. If you're making decent money, you may want to consider a part-time program to keep money flowing in, or take the opportunity to make more connections and work in a firm similar to where you want to end up.

Yes, I'm actually working with one of my professors on trying to get DU to up their ante by using other offers.

No, I can't say I do. I'm hoping to do so this spring. One of my neighbors is a tax attorney and basically said that whenever I want to, I can hang out in his office this spring. I have no interest in tax law, but I assume that'll give me at least some insight into how a small firm works. Right now, I'm unemployed. I'm living off of my GI Bill monthly stipend, and my wife's income. I'm in a good place financially, where even if I don't draw in a dollar from anywhere for the next few years, I can come out the other side relatively unscathed, and without raiding my portfolio or retirement accounts. And yes, over the next 10 months or so, I'm hoping to network as much as I humanly can.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Eminent Domain posted:

It is a good and fun romance, we've come a long way from Origins.

Shut your word hole. My fan girl heart throb Allister was a great romance.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Man, you should get interested in tax law if you've got someone interested in showing you how that works.

The kind of people who get in trouble with the government about their taxes are

A: have enough money to get taxed
B: made enough money to lose track of it or try to hide it and
C: if they are going to a lawyer then the amount of money the government is interested in is enough to make it worth going to a lawyer.

Just sayin'.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

Shut your word hole. My fan girl heart throb Allister was a great romance.

Okay, I'll grant you that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

LeschNyhan posted:

Man, you should get interested in tax law if you've got someone interested in showing you how that works.

The kind of people who get in trouble with the government about their taxes are

A: have enough money to get taxed
B: made enough money to lose track of it or try to hide it and
C: if they are going to a lawyer then the amount of money the government is interested in is enough to make it worth going to a lawyer.

Just sayin'.

Or do employee benefits for a trust plan. Trusts got moneys.