Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Angela Christine posted:

Any word yet on the "generous compensation"? LOL.

3 months of free patron status, but use it fast! Game servers will be up for another month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

I have escaped the clutches of this game and so should you

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is 5 am PST, on a tuesday morning, and there is a queue to get onto Aranzeb. :psyduck:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Any word yet on the "generous compensation"? LOL.

Unless it's them giving me cash to cover all the money I spent on this game, it won't be "generous" enough in my eyes.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Preechr posted:

TSW is pretty fun until you run out of non-dungeon content, and then realize no one will help you through the dungeons because no one plays anymore. Still, I enjoyed it.

The main "problem" with the game is that grouping for regular missions or just hanging out on voice chat may be a detriment to your enjoyment of the game depending on how you want to play it. Experiencing the story, solving puzzles and just finding poo poo is a big part of what makes it special and going at it at your own pace is sort of important. Also nothing explained very well, it's a game that makes you figure poo poo out on your own, some ingame mechanics too and that might turn people off.

That said there still are people playing, the SA thread has them posting and doing stuff and I'm getting back into it too now that I fixed the game not running properly because of my stupidity and having fun just doing stuff and figuring out where I left and what I want to do next. If you own the game I really recommend giving it a shot and asking in the Thread if you need help with anything, they're good people.

Bridgeburner_
Oct 23, 2013

Baller Time posted:

I have escaped the clutches of this game and so should you

I miss you talking about the various aspects of Turkish culture on mumble/ts :(

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

They must have lowered the server population caps temporarily, thinking there would be enough of a rush back to the game that it might implode the servers again. Haven't seen a queue on any server in weeks. Logged into Aranzeb and haven't seen a single other person yet, so they must have set the cap at like 100 players or something.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ruffz posted:

Unless it's them giving me cash to cover all the money I spent on this game, it won't be "generous" enough in my eyes.

ruffz posted:

Logged into Aranzeb

Addiction is a hell of a sad thing. Even when this man realizes he plays a lovely game he can't stop.

Also The Secret World sounds like one of those games that would have made a lot more sense as just a regular loving game but got shoehorned into an MMO because somebody heard that World of Warcraft made a lot of money.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Addiction is a hell of a sad thing. Even when this man realizes he plays a lovely game he can't stop.

As I stated before, I'm basically just logging in to pay property taxes until my archeum subscription ends sometime in January. I'm a sick bastard that wants to hold onto the land only to keep it from other players.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

ruffz posted:

As I stated before, I'm basically just logging in to pay property taxes until my archeum subscription ends sometime in January. I'm a sick bastard that wants to hold onto the land only to keep it from other players.

I have a single 16x16 in the middle of a "hardcore pvp" guild's plantation. They have sent multiple requests to buy it.

I log in only to pay taxes.

They asked me once if I would join. There was a 5 page application, a tryout process, a 30 day probationary period and I had to give up all my lands to the guild to join. Weakest scam ever.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Chomp8645 posted:

Also The Secret World sounds like one of those games that would have made a lot more sense as just a regular loving game but got shoehorned into an MMO because somebody heard that World of Warcraft made a lot of money.

I wouldn't really go that far but there is a really solid single player game in there. Unlike the Old Republic you don't get forced into a single player instance every other step so grouping is perfectly viable. You can even repeat most of the missions for the same reward later if you want to experience it on your own before/after doing it with someone else and outleveling isn't really a thing either.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Xexre posted:

I have a single 16x16 in the middle of a "hardcore pvp" guild's plantation. They have sent multiple requests to buy it.

I log in only to pay taxes.

They asked me once if I would join. There was a 5 page application, a tryout process, a 30 day probationary period and I had to give up all my lands to the guild to join. Weakest scam ever.

Take out the part about land, and that sounds like how a lot of hardcore WoW guilds were back in the day. Sometime in 2005 I had to fill out this long questionnaire and commit to perfect raid attendance for X number of weeks if I ever wanted to see any purps, and that was just to join the guild my friends were in.

There's a surprisingly small amount of non-8x8 plots available on Aranzeb, considering the state the game is in. I'm thinking maybe it's a ton of other archeum founders that are doing the exact same thing I am, just holding onto the plots so some other shithead doesn't come up on them.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

ruffz posted:

Take out the part about land, and that sounds like how a lot of hardcore WoW guilds were back in the day. Sometime in 2005 I had to fill out this long questionnaire and commit to perfect raid attendance for X number of weeks if I ever wanted to see any purps, and that was just to join the guild my friends were in.

There's a surprisingly small amount of non-8x8 plots available on Aranzeb, considering the state the game is in. I'm thinking maybe it's a ton of other archeum founders that are doing the exact same thing I am, just holding onto the plots so some other shithead doesn't come up on them.

See also: people that own 10+ plots of land.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xexre posted:

See also: people that own 10+ plots of land.

You might say they're the landed elite.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

ruffz posted:

"I'm a tank willing to raid" has always worked for me. It may have helped that I was one of 3 geared Feral Druids on the server during vanilla and from then on I could pretty much get by on my reputation even when I switched to Paladin. Good times.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

Chomp8645 posted:

You might say they're the landed elite.

Dirty 1%'ers!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ruffz posted:

Why don't you just do a chargeback or request a refund or something? Credit card companies are practically on a first name basis with Trion Worlds at this point for taking their money back so often. With how badly they've hosed up in pretty much every possible way at this point it's not like it isn't justified either.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 2, 2014

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

It wouldn't feel right abandoning my plots of land that I poopsocked for at release (and then again with the Auroria launch), even if I don't actively play the game anymore. I suppose it's hard to just walk away from a game after spending all of that time/money thinking I'd be playing for a long time, only to be let down by incompetence from Trion and XL.

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

You see Archeage is an artistic criticism for modern America.

The landed elite have created so much wealth and prosperity without government intervention that everyone is benefiting now through extremely low prices.

Also Kimsemus and crew were Greenpeace and goon fishers were Japanese whalers

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
http://youtu.be/vp8v44iriyU

A new korean MMO. Let's hope Trion secure the contract to run it here.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

ruffz posted:

It wouldn't feel right abandoning my plots of land that I poopsocked for at release (and then again with the Auroria launch), even if I don't actively play the game anymore. I suppose it's hard to just walk away from a game after spending all of that time/money thinking I'd be playing for a long time, only to be let down by incompetence from Trion and XL.

I don't get it. I didn't spend more than 15 bucks on this game, but if I had spent as much as you did I wouldn't feel right about not getting a refund for this pile. Why should they be allowed to profit off of you after serving you such a steaming plateful of poo poo?

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

snodig posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

My Korean buddy who rightfully tried to keep me from playing Archeage swears up and down that literally every major Korean MMO on the market has the same issues that plague Archeage. They're all apparently shoddily coded pay to win fests.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Deki posted:

My Korean buddy who rightfully tried to keep me from playing Archeage swears up and down that literally every major Korean MMO on the market has the same issues that plague Archeage. They're all apparently shoddily coded pay to win fests.

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deki posted:

This is basically the case for most Korean and Chinese gaming in general.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

I don't get it. I didn't spend more than 15 bucks on this game, but if I had spent as much as you did I wouldn't feel right about not getting a refund for this pile. Why should they be allowed to profit off of you after serving you such a steaming plateful of poo poo?

I guess it's worth a shot, however I don't expect it to produce any results. I'll check and see if anyone else has had success with chargebacks against them.

edit: I gave them the $150 for the archeum founder's pack 7 months ago, so I'd be extremely surprised if US Bank refunds me for that far back.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 2, 2014

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
This time it will be different!

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Xexre posted:

Don't play KMMOs.

K, Wildstar it is then.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

It appears I can't even start a chargeback request because US Bank requires the charge to be from the last 60 days.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

ruffz posted:

It appears I can't even start a chargeback request because US Bank requires the charge to be from the last 60 days.

Don't stress too much about it. You enjoyed the game for a long time during alpha. If you feel the need to continue to log on just to pay taxes and are no longer legitimately enjoying the game then sell your account before your patron subscription expires.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Honestly even for a lovely game issuing a chargeback is a little crazy I think. A chargeback is justified when someone failed to deliver a product or otherwise clearly reneged on their end of the bargain. The servers being down for one weekend unexpectedly is not failure to deliver. The game being bad is not failure to deliver.

If you want to protect your money from bad game companies then I suggest not spending $150 on game that isn't out, has "P2W MMO" written all over it, and will be free to try when it comes out anyway. Do that instead next time.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2014

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Oh believe me, I'll never do that poo poo again. I may also never get into a new MMO within its first couple months either, unless it's made by Blizzard. If something is worth a drat it'll still be gaining active players after several months. Instead of being the guinea pig that donates my time and money, I'll let others do that from now on.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well at least you learned your lesson so good on you. We've all been suckered into buying a bad game at least once. It's the people who will go on from this to purchase the next Lame MMO Of The Month every month that encourage lovely games to keep being made.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Sad that it took so many MMOs to get me to wake up. I bit hard on SWTOR and got the $150 collector's edition for that, and I can't believe I fell for it again with ArcheAge. Trion's laughing all the way to the bank at all the suckers like me that took the bait.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I now feel so bad for you ruffz that I regret mocking you.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
What did you spend $150 on? I'm confused.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

snodig posted:

What did you spend $150 on? I'm confused.

The Silver pre-order package was $150. It was the #1 seller on Steam for a bit, a lot of people spent money on it. There was also a Bronze package for $50 and a Gold package for some dumb amount that was too high.

All the stuff in the packages was the normal poo poo you'd expect. Varying amounts of premium time, cash shop currency, special snowflake outfits, stuff like that. You also got in on the "head start" for a few days which probably swayed way too many people.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 2, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Chomp8645 posted:

The Silver pre-order package was $150. It was the #1 seller on Steam for a bit, a lot of people spent money on it. There was also a Bronze package for $50 and a Gold package for some dumb amount that was too high.

All the stuff in the packages was the normal poo poo you'd expect. Varying amounts of premium time, cash shop currency, special snowflake outfits, stuff like that. You also got in on the "head start" for a few days which probably swayed way too many people.

Specifically, the silver package was the cheapest one to allow alpha access, so a lot of people paid 150 bucks to basically play for several months before launch.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

$150 for the Archeum Founder's pack and then I spent almost $80 on apex/credits before I realized this game was going to fail. So I paid $230 to play the game for 2 months on the live server plus a few months on Alpha. Which is why I feel so burnt. I'm dumb for not realizing what I was doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

snodig posted:

What a sweet single player game that could be.

• Locked thread