Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

qirex posted:

it's possible the Xbox beat the ps4 in November because they were selling one with three free games for as low as $329, I imagine they'd want to avoid the stink of being outsold everywhere in the world for 12 months straight because they can easily spin "barely won one month in one country thanks to deep discounts" into "Xbox won Christmas"
at some point they'll literally just give them away for a month and be like :smug: we moved a million units this month! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
neil young sucks

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shaggar posted:

neil young sucks

:vd:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

at some point they'll literally just give them away for a month and be like :smug: we moved a million units this month! :smug:

they didn't do this for the surface when it would've been literally cheaper than the advertising campaign, they're not going to do it for the xbone

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i hope they never stop advertising the surface, it's like an extended meta-joke

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"i wish my macbook had a kickstand and USB!!!"

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

microsoft needs to figure out a new voice because this weird "productivity!" thing they're doing now makes absolutely no goddamn sense

microsoft should be taking their branding cues from the empire in star wars instead of whatever the gently caress they're doing now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think a lot of people massively underestimate the importance/worship of revenue and revenue growth in companies

two scenarios:
1. sell a million xbones for $200
2. sell 600,000 xbones for $400 with a $200 rebate

most companies would actually prefer scenario 2 because it's more revenue even though that revenue was more expensive to get because on a balance sheet you can say well we're still investing but we can slash that later and look at that $240 million!!!

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
the narrative should be "a system with as few barriers to productivity as possible, not needlessly complex, and just works with your existing enterprise infrastructure"

but that's too close to the apple sell story so microsoft just keeps introducing things like ~live tiles~

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
they should also get yung lean to do their commercials, c levels love yung lean

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

qirex posted:

I think a lot of people massively underestimate the importance/worship of revenue and revenue growth in companies

two scenarios:

most companies would actually prefer scenario 2 because it's more revenue even though that revenue was more expensive to get because on a balance sheet you can say well we're still investing but we can slash that later and look at that $240 million!!!

this is literally corporate america

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

duTrieux. posted:

microsoft needs to figure out a new voice because this weird "productivity!" thing they're doing now makes absolutely no goddamn sense

microsoft should be taking their branding cues from the empire in star wars instead of whatever the gently caress they're doing now
no i want more marketing from ms to use vague business terms that people associate with middle managers. they should have called skydrive "synerdrive" for this reason

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pono: for dads, by dads

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

:downs:

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

duTrieux. posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

hrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
actually microsoft should just stop marketing altogether for a while

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
shut it the gently caress down until you can get someone to figure that poo poo out

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

that man is enjoying his neil young so goddamn hard

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

loving boomers

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

AtomD posted:

shut it the gently caress down until you can get someone to figure that poo poo out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

qirex posted:

two scenarios:

even better, in scenario 2 the average sales price and therefore gross profit margin is higher. the rebate comes out of the marketing budget so it doesn't impact gross margins. Microsoft are the masters of this kind of accounting, particularly in their money losing units like Xbox and bing.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

brand guidleilnes? what are thosE?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I enjoy The Boss and a few things by Jackson Browne. does that make me a dad?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
more proof that our present time is actually a cyberpunk hell world but without all the neon everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tbh i'd answer yes to the right image but would be counting paid for company dinners

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Shaggar posted:

neil young sucks

shaggar is wrong

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

qirex posted:

two scenarios:

this also works the other way if it's convenient to the company, like how piracy cost the mpaa double all the money in the world somehow, or how movies like forrest gump lost money so welp can't give the author any money in that case!

and let's not forget the psychological experiment:

would you rather

1. get $100 and everyone else gets $200
2. get $50 and everyone else gets $20

and it turns out most people go with option 2 :negative:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Management posted:

even better, in scenario 2 the average sales price and therefore gross profit margin is higher. the rebate comes out of the marketing budget so it doesn't impact gross margins. Microsoft are the masters of this kind of accounting, particularly in their money losing units like Xbox and bing.

a large number of rebates are never turned in, because :effort:, so using rebates to "lower" the price is actually less expensive than it looks at first

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prefect posted:

a large number of rebates are never paid out, because their requirements are deliberately engineered to be nearly impossible to satisfy, so using rebates to "lower" the price is actually less expensive than it looks at first

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg1gbVGk19k

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Shaggar posted:

neil young sucks
he trolled the tar sands pretty good so he's fine

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

for some reason this reminds me of those contrived videos they'd make where some dude is in a scenario that just happens to be perfectly solved by some minor new feature in windows vista or w/e

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

http://www.bing.com/trends/us/top-searches

welp

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bing users: confused old people, small children, microsoft employees

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

THC posted:

he trolled the tar sands pretty good so he's fine

idk what ur referring to but its more likely he sucked and was terrible because hes neil young.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

univbee posted:

this also works the other way if it's convenient to the company, like how piracy cost the mpaa double all the money in the world somehow, or how movies like forrest gump lost money so welp can't give the author any money in that case!

and let's not forget the psychological experiment:

would you rather

1. get $100 and everyone else gets $200
2. get $50 and everyone else gets $20

and it turns out most people go with option 2 :negative:

wouldn't option 1 make you poorer in terms of purchasing power than you would be had you rejected both options

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

like your share of global wealth just got smaller

pram
Jun 10, 2001
of course the second option is better. everyone still benefits so stfu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.