Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Is there a site or thread on some forum that keeps tabs on older Kickstarters that are totally failing to deliver on promises?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/

Gao
Aug 14, 2005
"Something." - A famous guy
They aren't doing it through Kickstarter, but in case you thought thought the Ritot was thinking too small, how about a whole smartphone screen projected onto your arm.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

Gao posted:

They aren't doing it through Kickstarter, but in case you thought thought the Ritot was thinking too small, how about a whole smartphone screen projected onto your arm.

Holy poo poo, that looks fake as gently caress.
The screen even goes off the guy's arm at one point when he is playing fruit ninja.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1096896909/custom-and-modded-gaming-controllers?ref=category

About this project

I am trying to create home grown company that creates awesome custom and modded controllers.

Risks and challenges

It is pretty hard to create the custom paint jobs and cutting the controllers to precise specifications

Rewards

Pledge $500 or more

Free Controller for system of your choice with your own customization

:effort:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The video is obviously fake, but I think it's supposed to demonstrate how the thing is supposed to work, not a working prototype. Not that it can actually work like that of course. Even if we imagine that pico projectors that can project images at such acute angles with that high definition and level of detail exist, how the hell is it supposed to project anything around my fingers when I tap something?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1096896909/custom-and-modded-gaming-controllers?ref=category

About this project

I am trying to create home grown company that creates awesome custom and modded controllers.

Risks and challenges

It is pretty hard to create the custom paint jobs and cutting the controllers to precise specifications

Rewards

Pledge $500 or more

Free Controller for system of your choice with your own customization

:effort:

Cool. Ask for a Steel Battalion controller with captivating stucco frescoes all over it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Orzo posted:

Is there a site or thread on some forum that keeps tabs on older Kickstarters that are totally failing to deliver on promises?
It'd be easier to keep track of the ones that actually deliver.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
On that note, DoubleFine just announced another delay for Broken Age Part 2 and laid off some of their staff. Between that, them burning their bridges with publishers, and ruining their goodwill with gamers by unceremoniously dumping their space station game because gently caress You Got Mine I really have no idea how they plan on getting their next game funded.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TetsuoTW posted:

It'd be easier to keep track of the ones that actually deliver.

Nah, a ton of them actually do. The thing is most of them are like "I have an art project and need $200" and then they go and produce their thing at the community theater and everyone gets their t-shirt. It's not very interesting.

Stuff like this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/282536080/mary?ref=email

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

Hello Meow posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks fake as gently caress.
The screen even goes off the guy's arm at one point when he is playing fruit ninja.

That is a pretty neat rear end idea though.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Guru Yaekob posted:

No way can you project a screen at that acute of an angle, onto skin, from such a tiny device, and get both an easy to read screen and adequate touch sensitivity.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elysiume posted:

No way can you project a screen at that acute of an angle, onto skin, from such a tiny device, and get both an easy to read screen and adequate touch sensitivity.

Not to mention that touching things will mean you block the projection, creating shadow areas all over your "screen" where nothing is shown..

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
The only way I could really see this working is if you had two projectors: one at your wrist and another closer to your elbow that produced a synced image. That would also be more expensive and less comfortable.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

On that note, DoubleFine just announced another delay for Broken Age Part 2 and laid off some of their staff. Between that, them burning their bridges with publishers, and ruining their goodwill with gamers by unceremoniously dumping their space station game because gently caress You Got Mine I really have no idea how they plan on getting their next game funded.

Gamer ADD and nostalgia, probably. That's what a lot of projects seem to be funded on lately

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Elissia posted:

Gamer ADD and nostalgia, probably. That's what a lot of projects seem to be funded on lately
The nostalgia well never dries up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thimbleweedpark/thimbleweed-park-a-new-classic-point-and-click-adv

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

I'm glad they used the lovely Maniac Mansion / Zakk McCraken graphic style so their nostalgia spell won't work on me. I never enjoyed these two games. If they want my money they have to do this DoTT-style.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It costs half a million bucks, yet it manages to look worse than that clown game by some goon. That sure is something.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Didn't Broken Age 1 sold pretty well? And that other game, Massive Chalice, seems to be doing ok. It's in early access, but from what I heard it's feature complete and they have enough budget money left to finish the developement (I guess they kept Scahfer away from this one).

I agree that they hosed up big, but I don't think that they're in a hopeless situation, not yet at least.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Gao posted:

Well there is the OmniTouch from 2011, which is pretty much a proof of concept kinect hack. It's exploring a projected touch screen interface concept. Which is pretty cool.

But yeah you'd have to miniaturize all of that, and provide a stable mount, illumination etc etc.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

They literally say that it's their dream to make this. It's their dream to do the exact same thing they were doing almost 30 years ago.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

WebDog posted:

Well there is the OmniTouch from 2011, which is pretty much a proof of concept kinect hack. It's exploring a projected touch screen interface concept. Which is pretty cool.

But yeah you'd have to miniaturize all of that, and provide a stable mount, illumination etc etc.

can i not just get a parrot or something

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

draconic posted:

can i not just get a parrot or something

Only if you can stuff a Kinect in its mouth.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guru Yaekob posted:

DUH. People have been predicting things like that for years and years. Mass Effect's omni-tools are pretty much this, hell even Final Fantasy Spirits Within had it in 2001 and one of the Star Treks probably did too.

This is one of those ideas like flying cars which is obvious, would be really convenient, but isn't really feasible.

The closest you could get right now would be an embedded screen tattoo, which you wirelessly piped video output to. I know people are experimenting with that tech, but its potentially dangerous and I don't even think they're attempting any kind of input yet. I guess you could use a camera to do the input detection (but its gonna be shoddy) but even then its going to be black and white e-ink, not a full, high-resolution color display.

Trying to do it now with projection is just beyond feasibility. In 40 years we'll all have iWatches which create holographic fields, but we're not nearly there yet.

Great Rumbler posted:

The only way I could really see this working is if you had two projectors: one at your wrist and another closer to your elbow that produced a synced image. That would also be more expensive and less comfortable.

It would require two arm bands and if they weren't exactly spaced apart, then the image would desync and look horrible. I guess you could use lasers to constantly recalculate the distance and attempt to adjust the projectors (not that pico projectors can really handle that) but even then the natural curvature of your arm is going to ruin any fidelity.

WebDog posted:

That's kinda cool, but nobody wants to have to mount a predator shoulder cannon all day, that's going to look loving weird walking around.

Also you can see how lovely the resolution is, they're forced to use mostly colored squares.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Dec 3, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005803522/bacon-warrior

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

He forgot go put "I get attacked by hungry animals" under risks and challenges.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RottenK posted:

Didn't Broken Age 1 sold pretty well? And that other game, Massive Chalice, seems to be doing ok. It's in early access, but from what I heard it's feature complete and they have enough budget money left to finish the developement (I guess they kept Scahfer away from this one).

I agree that they hosed up big, but I don't think that they're in a hopeless situation, not yet at least.

They laid off people because an unnamed publisher hired them to make a game and then canceled the project.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This is hilarious, and you are precious. Spacebase has nothing to do with Kickstarter at all, and early access games sometimes fail. That's why it's early access. It's important to note that "fail" in this context means new feature development halting and actually being released. I'm sure a lot of developers with actual real failed games would love it if their games could fail half as successfully as Spacebase.

In comparison with real failures and real scams Double Fine is not even worthy of a mention. The only reason people have anything to complain about is because Double Fine has been so involved with their community during the development of their games. Their delay of Broken Age made news for how candid it was about the reasons for the delay and the things they need to fix before it can be released.

Also, lol at "burning bridges with publishers." The gulf between the business reality and your emotion-fueled portrayal of the events is hilarious. Publishers cancel games sometimes. Most of the time you never hear about it, and most of the time nobody even cares. It doesn't mean the publisher hates the dev or anything. Much of the time it has nothing to do with their relationship with the developer at all, and it's just a business thing of, "the market will have changed by the time this project is finished, and we don't think it will actually be profitable."

I'm pretty sure that if Double Fine could survive their restructuring after Brutal Legend then they'll probably be able to the whether the storm of releasing Spacebase DF-9, delaying Broken Age a few months, and releasing Massive Chalice early next year.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Thank god a defender of double fine showed up to write an essay about why someone's opinion on double fine's crowdsourcing blunders is "precious" and "hilarious".

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Can someone sum up just what is going on with Double Fine for those not playing along at home?

From what I can gather:

Cult dev kickstarts game, takes ages to get made, funds runs dry, so kickstart a space game, takes money from that to short up dev funds. Releases space game unfinished for modders to have at with.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

WebDog posted:

so kickstart a space game, takes money from that to short up dev funds. Releases space game unfinished for modders to have at with.

Spacebase DF9 was never on Kickstarter, it was solely Steam Early Access.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Spacebase DF-9 wasn't Kickstarted. They started making it during a Ludlum Dare (?) competition and released it onto Steam Early Access. Then they updated it to 1.0 without any future support a few months ago.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

WebDog posted:

Can someone sum up just what is going on with Double Fine for those not playing along at home?

From what I can gather:

Cult dev kickstarts game, takes ages to get made, funds runs dry, so kickstart a space game, takes money from that to short up dev funds. Releases space game unfinished for modders to have at with.

Double Fine is just really bad at games, really. It's been two years, and their port of Iron Brigade is still broken.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

WebDog posted:

They are a bad company with a pathological inability to keep within either a schedule or a budget.

This is why they had to go begging on the internet to make games in the first place.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Meatwave posted:

Thank god a defender of double fine showed up to write an essay about why someone's opinion on double fine's crowdsourcing blunders is "precious" and "hilarious".
I thought it was a valuable reminder that Of Science frequently has bad opinions.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

WebDog posted:

There's not really any drama to be had, and the projects were all budgeted separately. That's precisely why one of their projects was cancelled due to lack of income for that specific project.

They Kickstarted an adventure game called Broken Age and decided to split it into 2 parts. The first act was released, and then they started on the second which was set to be released close to the end of 2014. They had to push the date back to early 2015 because they couldn't finish it on time. They explained exactly what they couldn't finish on time, and are giving a preview build to Kickstarter backers before 2015.

They got money from Indie Fund to start development of a full game from a Dwarf Fortress-esque prototype during their Amnesia Fortnight game jam, and they released it as part of Steam Early Access. The sales were initially good, but people seemed to lose interest in it. They had a list of things they wanted to do in the event that development would continue, but the income from the game wasn't justifying continued development. So recently they decided to shift from adding new features to bug-fixing existing features so they can put out a finished version. They're releasing the game's source code so that the community of people who do own the game can do what they want with it if they're so inclined. "Releasing unfinished," implies there's a bunch of weird bugs and poo poo, but that's probably not going to be the case. The game works and is playable.

While these things have been happening with these 2 games they released Hack n' Slash(with source code for modders) on Steam Early Access then finished it without much trouble, they Kickstarted/developed/released to Early Access Massive Chalice which is on track for its release date in 2015, they got funding from Sony to do a remaster of Grim Fandango which by all reports is coming along just fine, they self-funded/self-published/developed Costume Quest 2, and they had one unannounced game cancelled recently by the publisher that was funding development on it that led to laying off a handful of people that were working on that project.

None of this is out of the ordinary for the games industry, and a lot of game devs would have loved to have Double Fine's 2014. With the amount of actual broken and nearly unplayable poo poo on Early Access where the devs have just disappeared off the face of the earth I just don't see how anyone can think Double Fine is one of the devs giving the service a bad name.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Dec 4, 2014

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

ErIog posted:

With the amount of actual broken and nearly unplayable poo poo on Early Access where the devs have just disappeared off the face of the earth I just don't see how anyone can think Double Fine is one of the devs giving the service a bad name.

Oh, that's easy. They're visible and in the news, while most of the actual failures in Early Access are much more self contained.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Also Massive Chalice loving owns.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

because dumb rear end nerds will excuse anything and buy anything, hence why the games industry is now centred around medium sized and big companies releasing hosed up and unfinished games and idiots keep buying them. see above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Stux posted:

because dumb rear end nerds will excuse anything and buy anything, hence why the games industry is now centred around medium sized and big companies releasing hosed up and unfinished games and idiots keep buying them. see above.

This is why it is rare for me to play videogames that aren't made for massive spergs or on PC-x801.